AVS Forum banner
584K views 4K replies 529 participants last post by  bslep 
#1 ·
Let's hear all about this TV. Good or bad..

#3,381 ·
First time poster here, though I have been reading since last spring when I purchased my 47" 7600 in April 2012. Reason I'm posting is that around the first of year (2013) I had an incident where, while watching TV thru my DishTV setup, the "white" colors assumed a definite green color to them - it was one of those Charmin(?) commercials with the bears and their faces turned green. The same thing happened a view times after that, where peoples faces particularly, would get a greenish tint (and we're not talking about a subtle tint here, but a very obvious one). At that time I was using the AV connection from my Dish DVR and not an HDMI connection. I discovered that by jiggling the RCA jack at the back of the TV I could get that to go away and go back to normal flesh tones, so I thought that it was all due to either a bad connection on the TV or the actual 3-in-1 RCA dongle had a problem.

Eventually it seemed that no amount of jiggling on the connection would get an overall green tint to go away, and while not as definitive as the few episodes of "make no mistake, that's green," an overall green tint to the flesh tones has remained with the old Dish setup.

Just within the last week, I upgraded my Dish setup to a 722k DVR and it has an HDMI connection, which I am now using and connected to the TV with a 4 foot BJC HDMI cable directly. Problem is I'm still seeing this overall green cast to flesh tones and no matter how I try to adjust the TV, even sliding the R-G adjustment all the way to the red side, can alleviate the problem. In partcular, when watching the CBS Evening News, Scott Pelley's (sp?) skin tones tended in the past to run a bit pinkish, but now the looks like he has a healthy tan but with an off cast. Red items in TV scenes, like the stripes in a US flag, do not seem as vibrant as they should.

Simultaneous with this development of the greenish cast to skin tones has been relatively distinct shaded vertical banding in lighter background areas of the screen, noticable especially on web pages with transitions between pages. It's almost like every other group of LEDs around the perimeter of the TV (perhaps about 4 inches in length or so) is not as bright as the adjacent 4 inch sections. Don't know if this is tied to the greenish flesh tones or not.

I am using self-tweaked out-of-the-box settings on the standard TV setting (which I had been happy with until the last 2-3 months), on ISF-1 I had settings posted here from early on (but those have been replaced with the picture wizard settings), and on ISF-2 I'm using pretty recent C/Net settings. Unfortunately all of them seem to exhibit the same greenish tint. I also think that my Blu-Ray output to the TV seems tinted the same way.

I'm just wondering if

1) Has anyone else has experienced this problem? And what helped correct it.

2) Any suggestion as to what I might try (I've not reset the TV yet - not sure how - but I did run the picture wizard a few days ago and that did not seem to make much of a difference in the tint).

3) If you live in the sticks, how does LG handle sending someone out to service the TV under warranty - and will it really help? Largest metro area would be 100+ miles.

Thanks for any assistance. I'm a fingerbreadth from calling LG and turning the problem over to them.

#3,384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbkdaz  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23210991

Definitely available in US (and not in Engineering Mode)...but I can;t speak for other countries.
I am downloading right now. Must be quite a download because the estimated time is more than 20 minutes. Hope it's not disappointing!

Just completed the download and registered the device for Amazon! No disappointment here.

#3,386 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flhthemi  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23211804

Got 5.0 update here in NC. Smooth and dowload was about 10min on wired connect. Anyone know what the change was other than Amazon?
will do the update when I get home

#3,389 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musykman  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23213355

Hmmm. I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I cannot find the Amazon app now that I've updated. I looked through all of my apps and also through the app store. I've also turned the TV off and on several times.When I check software update, it definitely says I have 5.0.

You should press the home button...then enter the premium apps section...and you should find the app there. Unless you have never initialized premiums...it should be there

#3,390 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Perkins  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23212069

will do the update when I get home

Did update last night, took about 6 minutes to download via ethernet. Had to do a reboot and all is good. We now have Amazon. Yea!

#3,394 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsrosh  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23214082

Updated y'day night. Yay, we have Amazon VOD now. However, i notice some juddering on some videos. Looks like a frame rate issue with the app.

Very doubtful. Extremely smooth for me so it can't be an app problem. Maybe it's your internet connection, remember more than just speed affects the outcome. Dropouts, latency issues etc. and other things effect things like video and VOIP. There are online sites that will tell you what if any problems you may have.

#3,395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23215169

Very doubtful. Extremely smooth for me so it can't be an app problem. Maybe it's your internet connection, remember more than just speed affects the outcome. Dropouts, latency issues etc. and other things effect things like video and VOIP. There are online sites that will tell you what if any problems you may have.
Smooth for me as well. I have a wired connection.

#3,397 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyvn  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23215142

These TV's have great styling, but I see so many complaints about them around the internet. Are they really that bad or do the majority of you think that they were a great purchase?

I got mine (55") back in October and I must say I still think it was a good purchase. I even picked mine up with an Open_box discount...so I really feel like I got a great deal. The few issues I have had (mostly software related) were relatively easy to correct through updates. I will say that I am more of a set-it and forget-it kind of guy...in that I hardly ever play with any of the settings. The Amazon App is the first feature/setting I've touched since they made TruMotion settings adjustable.

For the money, I really don;t think you can go wrong.

Reactions: klopez3709
#3,399 ·
3D settings help please for the 55LM7600, I bought one from BB last month.

I thought the default settings would show really good depth on 3D but apparently not, at least not in the way my room is setup.

The default settings are:

3D Depth 10

3D Viewpoint 0

Watching Avatar 3D from approx 4m away there is virtually no depth at all, that is it may as well be in 2D. However when I take the Depth to below 10 it starts to show some depth, with 0 having the maximum affect, similarly I get an affect when I go above 10 although it doesn't quite look right, that is going to 0 looks much better than going to 20.

Also altering the Viewpoint below or above 0 improves the affect, going below 0 appears to be the correct way to go, going above 0 makes the picture somewhat distorted.

Is there some logical way to know how to set these in advance based on the viewing position in relation to the distance and angle from the TV? Or is experimentation the only real way to go? The way the 3d was setup in the store looked better than any of the combinations I've tried so far. Maybe 4m is not an optimum viewing distance either, any advice most appreciated.

Further information, there are 5 3D modes:

"Standard" 3D Depth 10 & 3D Viewpoint 0

"Sport" 3D Depth 15 & 3D Viewpoint 0

"Cinema" 3D Depth 15 & 3D Viewpoint -3

"Extreme" 3D Depth 10 & 3D Viewpoint 8

and "Manual".

Watching Avatar on "Standard" the 3D effect is pretty small, that is, the picture with glasses is not much different to without them. Same goes for the "Sport" setting. The "Cinema" setting gives the best effect but it still does not look as good as I was expecting. The "Extreme" setting is blurry and unwatchable.

On the other hand the 3D demo on the TV at "The Good Guys" at BB looked much much better, so far I have not been able to get a similar result at home with the same TV. I may yet go back and ask to see the settings on the demo TV.

After recent firmware update v5.0 I've also found what appears to be a bug in the 3D settings, once I have selected "Manual" it will not let me choose any of the other 3D settings unless I turn off the TV and start again.

#3,400 ·
Thanks for the info.

I went to the shop, and the lighter tinged bar across the top of my picture is definitely worse than the one they had in the shop, although that still had a slight tinge.

I took some more pictures, using HDMI from a pc and filling a 1920x1080 canvas with 1 single colour.

You can see the results below, which I don't think are great.

Having said that, although i reckon my flashlighting is average-worse, there's not an issue when watching movies. It's just the lighter bar at the top of the picture that's always bugging me.

Being in Hong Kong, I have an LG engineer coming over 2moro, but it costs $20 US to get them out :S. is it worth it? is mine worse than other peoples?

Thanks for the help.

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/DodgerB85/media/20130418_151613_resized_zpsd3f70a45.jpg.html
http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/DodgerB85/media/20130418_151629_resized_zps81a8a1ec.jpg.html
http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/DodgerB85/media/20130418_151638_resized_zps8448255a.jpg.html

#3,401 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerB  /t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/3390#post_23216865

Thanks for the info.

I went to the shop, and the lighter tinged bar across the top of my picture is definitely worse than the one they had in the shop, although that still had a slight tinge.

I took some more pictures, using HDMI from a pc and filling a 1920x1080 canvas with 1 single colour.

You can see the results below, which I don't think are great.

Having said that, although i reckon my flashlighting is average-worse, there's not an issue when watching movies. It's just the lighter bar at the top of the picture that's always bugging me.

Being in Hong Kong, I have an LG engineer coming over 2moro, but it costs $20 US to get them out :S. is it worth it? is mine worse than other peoples?

Thanks for the help.

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/DodgerB85/media/20130418_151613_resized_zpsd3f70a45.jpg.html
http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/DodgerB85/media/20130418_151629_resized_zps81a8a1ec.jpg.html
http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/DodgerB85/media/20130418_151638_resized_zps8448255a.jpg.html

Mine is bad enough that the panel is to be replaced next week. I really hope that will work. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.