Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 3968 Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by beelbeel View Post

This tv is phenomenal, but I find myself using the 3d very infrequently. The passive 3d was a big selling point for this set, but I am starting tot hink that I did not set prioritize very well. have any of you seen this tv in a dark room with other sets? I starting to think about a samsung set, but I want to make sure that it's all it's cracked up to be.

I have the 8600 on order. I have two Samsung sets and love them. I wanted to try the LG due to the passive 3D technology. However, I will be comparing it with my Samsungs (side by side) and if the PQ is not comparable on 2D then I will be replacing it with a Samsung ES7100 which is close to the same price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 3968 Old 05-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Been looking at one for 3 1/2 weeks now. I think your satisfaction will all come down to to what you expect with the black level. In a dark room, black is sub-standard for LED on the 7600 and won't come close to plasma. Samsung models are a better choice for black and plasma is in a different league all together.

In a bright room, whites are excellent so the overall image looks great on the 7600. You can tweak the color to your satisfaction but Samsung still has an edge if you want pop. The lower cost on LG probably makes the LG more attractive. Plasma can not produce the light output of LED; so almost any LED will look brighter, more colorful, and sharp in a bright room.

1080P and most HD content look nice on the LG but Samsung has better video scaling / processing with SD material.

Bottom line: If most of your viewing is dark-room, try plasma. It will look better than any calibrated LED. If most of your viewing is bright room, the 7600 gives good PQ at a better price point than Samsung. If your somewhere in between, Samsung's clear edge on black-level over LG will be more satisfying but at a higher street price.

Maybe in a few years OLED will give us the best of both worlds, Plasma blacks and LED whites. For now its a compromise. Within "average" priced sets, I honestly think Samsung provides the best option today.

I think this is an excellent recap. I have gone back and forth between the a Samsung and the LG. I looked at the plasma Panasonic V50 but have too many concerns with that technology as I have always had LEDs. I hope my new LG will come close to the Samsungs. I have 30 days to try it out.
post #693 of 3968 Old 05-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12345 View Post

I think this is an excellent recap. I have gone back and forth between the a Samsung and the LG. I looked at the plasma Panasonic V50 but have too many concerns with that technology as I have always had LEDs. I hope my new LG will come close to the Samsungs. I have 30 days to try it out.

Another point of comparison should be viewing angle. Plasma wins hands down but LG has been better than Samsung. LG used to have the advantage of a matte screen. Now they have joined Samsung and most plasmas with a reflective screen. When the Vizio models come out they may have both a wider viewing angle and a matte screen, both are important to me.
post #694 of 3968 Old 05-26-2012, 05:41 PM

Liked: 12
I happen to own a Vizio with passive 3D and that TV is the reason I purchased the 7600. The Vizio is built with a LG panel.
post #695 of 3968 Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben12345 View Post

I have the 8600 on order. I have two Samsung sets and love them. I wanted to try the LG due to the passive 3D technology. However, I will be comparing it with my Samsungs (side by side) and if the PQ is not comparable on 2D then I will be replacing it with a Samsung ES7100 which is close to the same price.

Awesome. Please let us know how it works out for you.
post #696 of 3968 Old 05-27-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:

No, power cycling is not normal. If you are having this problem on a second set, I'm more inclined to think the problem may be with your power. Are you seeing any indication in the rest of your house with momentary power "pops" or voltage drops? If you are plugged in through a power conditioner; it may be failing.

Hi, i have the same problem with my brand new tv.
Can anyone tell what i have to do? Change tv or do something on my tv?
I don't have the any time in my automatic suspension.

Please tell me something its finishing the time to change my tv for a new one.

Best regards,

Fred
post #697 of 3968 Old 05-27-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbre View Post

I'm in the same place as you are... I would really like to like this TV Hoping you are going to leave your first impressions and possibly after some more time of usage. Good luck with your new TV!

I won't get it delivered until June 2nd. Will post my personal opinion about it right after. I already own a Samsung LN46B750, which I am very satisfied with. If the LG surpasses my expectation it will be my main TV. If not it will go to my bedroom, and if it disappoints It goes back and might go for another Samsung, most probably the 6000 series. I just got an impression that LG has the best 3D feature, so wanted to see how it goes.
post #698 of 3968 Old 05-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I value all the information I have found here (both positive and negative) and wanted to leave my final thoughts.

I was at the end of my return period and took the 7600 back. It has been replaced with a Panasonic 60gt50 plasma. I've never been happier. The three biggest problems I had with the LG were the poor black-level, poor off-axis PQ, and flashlighting. The GT50 has cured all those issues. Since this is a 7600 thread I won't drone on about the gt50, but the PQ on the GT50 is much better day or night. Plasma is more than capable of producing a bright daytime image in a lit room. If you want to set-up your TV outside on the deck or have vision problems then LED may be a better choice but brighness really isn't an issue with the gt50.

Believe it not, reflectios are worse on the 7600 than the gt50. When off, both sets look about the same (pretty glossy) but the filter on the gt50 just seems to absorb my room lighting while the 7600 gave clear reflections. It didn't bother me because my previous Samsund LCD was also glossy and I had gotten used to it but I was surprised that the GT50 didn't reflect my lamps at all.

The problems I had with shadow detail and skin tones on the 7600 are also no issue for the GT50. The THX Cinema mode was "perfect" out of the box. I must have spent 2 hours adjusting the 7600 and never got a good overall PQ.

The sleek / slim bezel on the 7600 was sweet but I think the slim bezel on edge-lit LED sets is part of the flashligh problem. I had some issues with the magic-wand remote but overall, I think it has some features that are superior to standard remotes. An ideal remote is somewhere in between the two types.

If you are on the edge, I highly suggest you try a good plasma in your home. Most that I saw in stores looked poor but the GT50 in front of me looks tremendous and gives me the PQ I expected from the 7600 but never found. The sound quality from the built-ins is also much better.
post #699 of 3968 Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Quote:

I value all the information I have found here (both positive and negative) and wanted to leave my final thoughts.

I was at the end of my return period and took the 7600 back. It has been replaced with a Panasonic 60gt50 plasma. I've never been happier. The three biggest problems I had with the LG were the poor black-level, poor off-axis PQ, and flashlighting. The GT50 has cured all those issues. Since this is a 7600 thread I won't drone on about the gt50, but the PQ on the GT50 is much better day or night. Plasma is more than capable of producing a bright daytime image in a lit room. If you want to set-up your TV outside on the deck or have vision problems then LED may be a better choice but brighness really isn't an issue with the gt50.

Believe it not, reflectios are worse on the 7600 than the gt50. When off, both sets look about the same (pretty glossy) but the filter on the gt50 just seems to absorb my room lighting while the 7600 gave clear reflections. It didn't bother me because my previous Samsund LCD was also glossy and I had gotten used to it but I was surprised that the GT50 didn't reflect my lamps at all.

The problems I had with shadow detail and skin tones on the 7600 are also no issue for the GT50. The THX Cinema mode was "perfect" out of the box. I must have spent 2 hours adjusting the 7600 and never got a good overall PQ.

The sleek / slim bezel on the 7600 was sweet but I think the slim bezel on edge-lit LED sets is part of the flashligh problem. I had some issues with the magic-wand remote but overall, I think it has some features that are superior to standard remotes. An ideal remote is somewhere in between the two types.

If you are on the edge, I highly suggest you try a good plasma in your home. Most that I saw in stores looked poor but the GT50 in front of me looks tremendous and gives me the PQ I expected from the 7600 but never found. The sound quality from the built-ins is also much better.

I did the same thing, had 7600 and exchanged for 60GT50, but just exchanged it for Sony LED. Just didnt like the plasma look. Too dull for me. I watch mostly regular tv and sports, not many movies. I just couldnt handle the dim lighting
post #700 of 3968 Old 06-01-2012, 05:05 AM

Quote:

I was at the end of my return period and took the 7600 back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Father View Post

I did the same thing, had 7600 and exchanged for 60GT50, but just exchanged it for Sony LED.

Question to both of you: have you ever noticed anything wrong with the picture on 7600 in 50Hz and/or 24p? Any trailing/artefacts reported by few other owners?
post #701 of 3968 Old 06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did the same thing, had 7600 and exchanged for 60GT50, but just exchanged it for Sony LED. Just didnt like the plasma look. Too dull for me. I watch mostly regular tv and sports, not many movies. I just couldnt handle the dim lighting

I have no idea why your unit was dim, even on THX Cinema mode my set is more than bright enough for daytime viewing in a well lit room with a wall of windows. The THX Bright Room mode is too bright, Vivid is brighter still. Standard without any tweaking is fairly flat. But hey, as long as you found something you are happy with, great !!!

Another thing I found was how much more sensative the OTA tuner is in the Panasonic. Or how weak the tuner in the LG was. I have a small Wineguard bow-tie antenna in the attic with a pre-amp. The LG would only tune the stations within about 15 miles and those would occassionaly cut out. The Panasonic is pulling in stations from two nearby cities 50 and 70 miles away just like the older Samsung did.
post #702 of 3968 Old 06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustafGustaf View Post

Question to both of you: have you ever noticed anything wrong with the picture on 7600 in 50Hz and/or 24p? Any trailing/artefacts reported by few other owners?

I'm not sure what you mean with 50 Hz. I do remember problems watching golf depending on the True-Motion settings. After a tee-off when the camera pans accross the sky following the ball, the 7600 would actually show 2 balls. The trailling ball would flash and flicker appear and disappear. It wasn't a shadow or fuzzy trail; it was a complete 2nd ball about 2 ball widths behind the first. It was unwatchable.
post #703 of 3968 Old 06-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:

I have no idea why your unit was dim, even on THX Cinema mode my set is more than bright enough for daytime viewing in a well lit room with a wall of windows. The THX Bright Room mode is too bright, Vivid is brighter still. Standard without any tweaking is fairly flat. But hey, as long as you found something you are happy with, great !!!

Another thing I found was how much more sensative the OTA tuner is in the Panasonic. Or how weak the tuner in the LG was. I have a small Wineguard bow-tie antenna in the attic with a pre-amp. The LG would only tune the stations within about 15 miles and those would occassionaly cut out. The Panasonic is pulling in stations from two nearby cities 50 and 70 miles away just like the older Samsung did.

Those modes were more washed out than bright
post #704 of 3968 Old 06-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Those modes were more washed out than bright

I'm really curious if you had a set with a faulty power supply or some other problem that crippled the brightness. My GT50 on THX Cinema is probably as bright or brighter than the 7600 could be run and still maintain any level of black. The colors are also more saturated on th GT50. The better contrast and black level on the GT50 gives it more pop. If I hadn't tried 2 different 7600's I would have thought the first one was defective.

I remember several posts in this thread that said Samsung's had more pop than the LG. This is the same thing I'm seeing with the GT50 but even more so than looking at my friends Samsung. I have learned a lot from this whole experience. I think ultimately the "pop" and PQ all comes down to deeper black levels. The Kuro and Elite sets that people rave about have exceptional black-levels at their foundation.
post #705 of 3968 Old 06-01-2012, 09:38 PM

Big sale at BB! Ordered the 47" today. Will arrive on Wednesday, the 6th. $1,048.99 +tax! It was just too good of a deal to pass up, and I wasn't even looking for a new set.

Oh, I have many skills......
post #706 of 3968 Old 06-03-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean with 50 Hz.

According to LM670T review on AVForum, there's a problem with material played in different fps than 60Hz. Reviewer noticed infamous problems with dark scenes when 24p is on, but he wrote that fast scenes in 50Hz were even worse.
So, I wonder is it only 670t's problem or it affects whole new line. On other hands that was first time someone mentioned trailing in 50Hz mode...
post #707 of 3968 Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Hey all!

I'm looking at a new TV, and really running into a road block. Can anyone tell my what the difference between the LM6700 and the 7600 are? There's a kind of significant price difference, so there's got to be something different, but I'm not sure what it is.

If it helps, I only want this TV to be a dumb display. It will be hooked up via HDMI to our HTPC (via our surround receiver) that does the vast majority of what we use the TV for (games, streaming video, Blu-Ray / DVD playback, ultra light computer use). We will also have an Xbox hooked up to the receiver. Essentially, I care little for any of the internet stuff built into the TV.

If there's another quality display out there that has less of that connected junk that I should be looking at too, please let me know!

I appreciate the help. Thanks!
post #708 of 3968 Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM

Daroga-

I think the differences are the 6700 is 120 hz compared to 240 hz on the 7600. The contrast ratio could be different, and the power consumption is less on the 7600. Maybe the benzel is slightly different as well. Try looking on the LG website and compare them that way.

Good Luck!

post #709 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 08:13 AM

6700 bottom bezel is silver

7600 whole bezel is black
post #710 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 09:12 AM

Hi everybody was just curious to have some views/thoughts over the prices of lg 2012 models. The way prices are fluctuating decreasing is it wise fine decision to invest in this models.

I bought 47' 7600 at $1300 while back was best deal at that time returned it got got 8600 $1400 for $100 more got dual core again gr8 deal at that time. Now 7600 is available for $980 and 8600 i got price matched from amazon for $1250. Haven't seen so much price fluctuation for 2012 models in any brand. being 1st time in the market for big ticket item tv m still confused about what i paid for 8600 i.e $1250/ .July 4 would it again go much lower.

Also we are not just talkin $10-$50 bucks this sets have reduced by like $300+ amount/
post #711 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Sat9090-

Where did you see the price of $980 for the 47" ???

post #712 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salrmrcrey View Post

Sat9090-

Where did you see the price of $980 for the 47" ???

$977.99 That's paulstv which amazon would PM too. Also amazon is selling a bundle $1049 which includes blue ray 3d player and additonal 6 pair of glasses..considering blueray player for atleast $100 gets d tv @ $950
post #713 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

for people with flashlight issues i've eliminated mine completely by simply unscrewing the back panel and gently messaging the whole screen. Then re-screwing in each screw along the whole panel with even pressure seemed to solve the flashlighting issue completely.

What sucks is it's too bad these LG's don't come from the factory with at least some little effort in applying even pressure along the whole panel when assembling the tv. For me this has solved the flashlighting issues entirely..you just have to have the patience of doing all this.

This may not work for everybody but i'd just like to say it worked for me and is worth a try. Now my tv looks like it should with no annoying flashlights during dark content.
post #714 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

... by simply unscrewing the back panel and gently messaging the whole screen. Then re-screwing in each screw along the whole panel with even pressure ... This may not work for everybody but i'd just like to say it worked for me and is worth a try. ...

Tried it, did nothing. Hopefully you didn't create too many micro-fractures in the transistor layer. You will be able to tell if you start to loose pixels or rows of pixels. May not show up right away; definitely buy an extended warrantee if you haven't already done so.
post #715 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tried it, did nothing. Hopefully you didn't create too many micro-fractures in the transistor layer. You will be able to tell if you start to loose pixels or rows of pixels. May not show up right away; definitely buy an extended warrantee if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the tip, yes i have an extended warranty with LG, so far no issues really. I just simply unscrewed and re-screwed the screws around the entire panel, i didn't take off the back cover or anything like that. It seemed simply just reliefing pressure evenly along the panel aleiviated the issue, theres a slight flashlight in the bottom left corner but it's barely noticeable unless you really look for it. That's the only area i couldn'nt really fix but otherwise it's a big improvement from before.
post #716 of 3968 Old 06-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

How tight would that be, generally speaking. I had my panel replaced today and two things I noticed:

1) there was no real measurement used to tighten the screws, the tech just used a power drill to loosen and tighten all the screws

2) before the frame or anything other than the board were placed back on the panel, he tuned it on and I saw no clouding or bleeding. Once back together I saw clouds and bleeding everywhere which leads me to believe the issue does lay on the assembly.

3) my panel had two scratches on it so I'm getting another one. But now I have concern over the screws being over tightened
post #717 of 3968 Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 AM

Conflicted!

I just bought a 55 inch 7600. I went with the 7600 over the 6700 because I had hoped that it would handle fast motion better.

I watched Hatfields and McCoys on my Bright House cable box and there was a ton of motion blur in every scene. I have tried messing with the settings but am still disapointed. There is some white leaking across the top when watching letterbox Blue Ray.

The glossy panel is really starting to bug me. My room is not bright but I do wave windows and I can see a lot of reflections.

I am now considering the LG 60PM9700 and have two weeks left to decide if the 7600 goes back to Best Buy. I never considered the plasma because they were always the shiny ones and LED was always matt/anit-glare. Now it seems the 9700 may address this issue and turn the tables.

Both sets are basically the same price ($2K) but the 9700 is bigger by 5"

Help me decide guys. Should I just stick with the 7600 or will I be haunted by the 9700? What can the plasma do better?

I want to stay in the LG family because they are dual voltage and there is a chance of moving back to GE and I want to be able to use the TV there (Blue Ray via netflix and Sky Digital so no PAL NTSC issues)[/I]

[[/I]
post #718 of 3968 Old 06-07-2012, 04:27 AM

,Thats strange I have the same tv and I never have problems with motion blur...I have this tv for about 2 months en its great....sure there is some lightbleeding in the top corners but all edge led tv's have this problem....I switch from plasma to this led tv because of the much better passive 3D system......

Maybe you have a problem with the source...when you play a blu ray do you have the same problem?....
post #719 of 3968 Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 AM

I just got 47lm7600 the other day and one thing is driving me nuts and wondering if anyone else has this issue. When you are watching regular tv and bring up the sub-menu/app with the magic remote and then use the scroll button to scroll up or down, my TV just resets for some reason. Like it turns off and turns back on. It only does that on the sub menu screen when using the scroll mouse thing. I'm wondering if I have a defect or not. Some one try this and let me know I would greatly appreciate it.
post #720 of 3968 Old 06-07-2012, 02:45 PM

Joining the LM7600 family!

Got that Amazon deal. Expected delivery on the 15th. From everything I've read here, other sites and on Amazon this is an outstanding TV and I got it for less than a 6700.

Can't wait!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Displays , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Lg Nb3520a Sound Bar Audio System With Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth Streaming , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page