Official LG XXLM7600 Owners Thread... - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3968 Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone tried to access the service menu for the LM7600 series yet?

Thanks!

BD=870

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3968 Old 06-09-2012, 06:47 AM

Liked: 11
Blue Ray does seem to be better but I am new to BR (bought an LG BR the same day as the TV).

Maybe broadcast TV is not really the best source to measure or see how good your TV is.

I watched some previews on a BR disc (Dangerous Method) and there was no light or flashing on the top or bottom when viewing letterbox scenes.

Still torn if its worth the hassle of trying the Plasma and returning one of the sets.

The PQ of the 7600 of HD broadcast TV is incredible just using the standard settings.
post #723 of 3968 Old 06-09-2012, 09:10 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLN987S View Post

Has anyone tried to access the service menu for the LM7600 series yet?
Thanks!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/690#post_22058468

2012 models even though you get into them it's mostly all locked. I wanted to change it to Australia country code so I can enable time shifting PVR but it's locked. Another expert that dumps firmware for LG TVs says if you change tuner related things it may brick the TV on next firmware update.
post #724 of 3968 Old 06-09-2012, 02:56 PM

Hi

I just bought a 55LM7600. Love the TV except for one little thing.

Before this TV, I was using an LG ST600 and I was able to connect to a share drive on my router, a Linksys E3200. I cannot do this with this TV , it can only connect to a network device as long as it is a media server such as windows7 streaming or Plex.

Do you know if it is because I am doing something wrong or this is a feature that is just not available on this TV. If not , thats not the end of the world but it certainly is a pain. Box says DLNA compatible, shouldnt the TV be able to access share drives.
post #725 of 3968 Old 06-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Just got the LG 47LM7600 from the Amazon bundle and trying to set a PIP mode.. there is none.. kind of going backwards on a smart TV set.
I use the TV as a pc monitor and side watch TV in a PIP.. with this TV it's not an option.
+ the glossy that a deal breaker for me... otherwise the TV is excellent.
post #726 of 3968 Old 06-09-2012, 08:18 PM

Had my 55LM7600 for a little bit more than a week now, so thought it would be nice to post my impression on it so other buyers can weigh the goods & bads before buying, just like how the previous posts had helped me to decide on it.

The picture quality is overall quite good. Very vibrant colors out of the box with its standard settings. I didn't bother to change it much for regular TV channels and they look fine. But for movie watching, I went with these calibrations as my guide, with some small tweaks to my likings, which look pretty impressive:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1333359799
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-lm7600-calibration-settings.html

240Hz TruMotion has its goods and bads. On one hand, I like the smooth effect it has on movies, making everything move so real as if its right in front of you, but it has 'trails' on action scenes or objects moving very fast, that can be bothersome. But its something cool to have and play around.

Black levels, like many had mentioned, is not very good. It simply can't achieve very deep black like I saw in Samsung models or plasmas.

My unit has some light bleeding, mostly very minor on top edge except a spot on the lower left right above the corner. I loosen up a couple screws on the back right behind it, and lighly massage the panel. It seem to help a little, but nothing too dramatic. With Local Dimming on, it got a lot better and not very noticeable. Something can be quite annoying if you are expecting a perfect unit, but something I can live with (since mine is not too bad).

3D is awesome. Very nice 3D effect on 3D Blurays, and the new glasses it came with is very comfortable when wearing it on top of my prescription glasses. Very lightweight and formfitting, much better than the Real 3D glasses I got from theatres. 2D to 3D is very good too. It let you play with a few settings, so you can find something that looks cool enough but also comfortable to your eyes. Watching some 2D Bluray movies with it in 3D is a very fun experience. This quality 3D viewing is one of the main selling point for me to overlook some of its shortcomings.

The Smart TV apps kind of sucks. I don't stream movies to watch much, but simply watching some clips from Youtube needs to go through a bunch of hurdles and loading screens with very slow choppy playback. You might be better off hooking up your PC or laptop to do all the work, and just use the TV as a big display. The Youtube browser is very limited.

The Magic Wand remote works decent for the most part. Some of the placment on certain functions are not that user friendly or optimized for convinience (like the number pad for switching channels). But for the basic functions that are a click or two away, it works good enough.

The speakers are not as pathetic as I was led to believe. It even has a couple modes to enhance the sound a bit. They seem sufficient for watch news and regular TV programs. But for more intense movie watching, I'll have to go back to my Harman Kardon SB 30 Soundbar.

The screen is quite reflective. You'll see your own fuzzy reflection almost all the time, as long as your room has some light source or windows around.

So, if I get the chance to do it all over again, would I still go for this TV? Most probably. The passive 3D, the picture quality, the styling, the price (got it for $1649 shipped from TigerDirect) all fits the bill on what myself and my wife were looking for in a TV. We can live with the less ideal black level and the minor light bleed on the edges. And good that we don't really need its online functions too much. So it is still a solid recommendation from me, but you need to know what you are buying.
post #727 of 3968 Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Is there another TV that would be a better choice around this size and price? Need one that's 42" or less in width and prefer a black frame/bezel. This one fits the bill, however there seems to be way more complaints than praises.
post #728 of 3968 Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 View Post

Is there another TV that would be a better choice around this size and price? Need one that's 42" or less in width and prefer a black frame/bezel. This one fits the bill, however there seems to be way more complaints than praises.

I would suggest you give the 47LM7600 a try. Get it from somewhere local that has a good return policy, in case you get a bad unit with excessive light bleed, or you simply don't like its performance and return it. If 3D is a big deal for you, this TV is great. If you want awesome black level, this TV won't deliver. Can't comment too much on cable shows or sports (I don't watch those much). But for movies with some good calibration settings, this TV can deliver a very pretty picture, regardless not having super deep black.

The next options are the Samsungs, which excels on black levels and general 2D viewing, but not as good 3D and cost more.
post #729 of 3968 Old 06-10-2012, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpchi View Post

I would suggest you give the 47LM7600 a try. Get it from somewhere local that has a good return policy, in case you get a bad unit with excessive light bleed, or you simply don't like its performance and return it. If 3D is a big deal for you, this TV is great. If you want awesome black level, this TV won't deliver. Can't comment too much on cable shows or sports (I don't watch those much). But for movies with some good calibration settings, this TV can deliver a very pretty picture, regardless not having super deep black.
The next options are the Samsungs, which excels on black levels and general 2D viewing, but not as good 3D and cost more.

Nobody local has it where I live, so Amazon is my best bet. Tried a Panasonic GT50 plasma, however it's 4" larger than our opening and mounting it flush to the opening just isn't going to look right so it's going back. Too bad-The picture and blacks are really nice. These reports of washed out blacks and whites on the LG models are not very comforting.
post #730 of 3968 Old 06-10-2012, 11:45 AM

Got this TV in the Amazon bundle for 980 last week and just got it mounted on the wall a couple of days ago. Overall, I am really impressed with the set, great picture and 3D is awesome. I started delving into the smart TV features lately and was wondering if anyone had been able to play 264 MKV files over the network. They seem to work fine over USB, but I can't seem to get the same MKVs to play off my windows 7 machine that is on the network. The TV is able to see the files just fine, but I can't seem to play them. Other formats play seem to have no problems. Any ideas?
post #731 of 3968 Old 06-10-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow25 View Post

Got this TV in the Amazon bundle for 980 last week and just got it mounted on the wall a couple of days ago. Overall, I am really impressed with the set, great picture and 3D is awesome. I started delving into the smart TV features lately and was wondering if anyone had been able to play 264 MKV files over the network. They seem to work fine over USB, but I can't seem to get the same MKVs to play off my windows 7 machine that is on the network. The TV is able to see the files just fine, but I can't seem to play them. Other formats play seem to have no problems. Any ideas?

Must have been less $ last week for the bundle, or did you do a price match?
post #732 of 3968 Old 06-10-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:

Must have been less $ last week for the bundle, or did you do a price match?

I did a price match .. when I ordered it was 1048, but a couple of days later Amazon dropped their price to 980 for about a day and a half and I was able to get my price match through then.
post #733 of 3968 Old 06-11-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon lowered their price this morning and they sold all the available stock (20+ Units) in less than an hour.eek.gif
post #734 of 3968 Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Toshiba? Jchop seems to like it. smile.gif
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1410096/official-lg-47lm8600-55lm8600-owners-thread/240#post_22110708
post #735 of 3968 Old 06-11-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I did see that one. I ordered a 47LM7600 from Amazon that I'm going to try out first. Same price as the Toshiba and free Blue Ray player + 3D glasses too. The Toshiba is 120hz VS 240hz on the LG as well.
post #736 of 3968 Old 06-11-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got it hooked up and it fit's in our TV niche by about 1/64".eek.gif What do we need to change the settings to so that everything doesn't look like a soap opera? It's driving my wife crazy.
post #737 of 3968 Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Just got it hooked up and it fit's in our TV nitch by about 1/64".eek.gif What do we need to change the settings to so that everything doesn't look like a soap opera? It's driving my wife crazy.
Turn TruMotion off
post #738 of 3968 Old 06-11-2012, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by domoMKIV View Post

Turn TruMotion off

Thanks-We found that and she's been playing around with the settings trying to get an acceptable picture. She's had a 46" Samsung 720P DLP for the last 6 years, and it was CRT and CRT rear projection prior to that. Our dedicated HT has a Samsung 61" LED DLP and a Mits DLP front projection with a 105" wide AT scope screen. We're both less than thrilled about the direction TV tech has gone the last few years. Our built in TV niche is only about 41.75 inches wide, so our options are pretty limited.
post #739 of 3968 Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 AM

Just got my TV yesterday and here are some quick observations:

1. I must have got one of the better panels, because I almost have zero flashlighting.
2. Black levels are better than expected. Not the deepest blacks I have seen, but I was able to watch the Blu-Ray version of Aliens no problem.
3. White levels were pretty washed out and almost gave all white scenes almost a Halo effect.
4. This screen reflects light like crazy! If this is going in a bright room with windows look out!
5. Colors are very good as is to be expected.
6. Sports - Watched the LA Kings win the Stanley Cup yesterday on this set (Go Kings!) and the picture looked great. There was a little bit of a trail following the puck at times, but you really had to be looking for it. Also watched a Euro 2012 soccer match and saw the same bit of trail on the ball.
7. 3D looked good, I quickly popped in Thor 3D and it met my expectations. I will eventually try to watch a movie that I saw at the theater in 3D to compare.

All of these observations were seen using just the presets that came out of the box and were not tweeked at all, so take this opinion for what it's worth. Looking around for the best calibration setings, if anyone would like to recommend some.

Probably going to keep the TV since I got it on the Amazon deal for $979.00 for TV + Blu-Ray + 12 pairs of glasses.
post #740 of 3968 Old 06-12-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulaker9 View Post

1. I must have got one of the better panels, because I almost have zero flashlighting.
2. Black levels are better than expected. Not the deepest blacks I have seen, but I was able to watch the Blu-Ray version of Aliens no problem.
3. White levels were pretty washed out and almost gave all white scenes almost a Halo effect.
4. This screen reflects light like crazy! If this is going in a bright room with windows look out!
6. Sports - Watched the LA Kings win the Stanley Cup yesterday on this set (Go Kings!) and the picture looked great. There was a little bit of a trail following the puck at times, but you really had to be looking for it. Also watched a Euro 2012 soccer match and saw the same bit of trail on the ball.
7. 3D looked good, I quickly popped in Thor 3D and it met my expectations. I will eventually try to watch a movie that I saw at the theater in 3D to compare.
All of these observations were seen using just the presets that came out of the box and were not tweeked at all, so take this opinion for what it's worth. Looking around for the best calibration setings, if anyone would like to recommend some.
Probably going to keep the TV since I got it on the Amazon deal for $979.00 for TV + Blu-Ray + 12 pairs of glasses.

I use this setting:
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1333359799

and this one I tweaked a bit to my own liking:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1397173/official-lg-47lm6700-55lm6700-passive-3d-owners-thread-2012/630#post_22014480

there is also this one:
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-lm7600-calibration-settings.html

I need to get a calibration disc.
post #741 of 3968 Old 06-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Is there a way to get rid of the "soap opera" look when playing back DVDs? I turned Tru Motion off and watching TV directly over-the-air looks fine, but when I play DVDs with the player that's hooked up to the composite, it looks strange.
post #742 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas123 View Post

Just got the LG 47LM7600 from the Amazon bundle and trying to set a PIP mode.. there is none.. kind of going backwards on a smart TV set.
I use the TV as a pc monitor and side watch TV in a PIP.. with this TV it's not an option.
+ the glossy that a deal breaker for me... otherwise the TV is excellent.

that's a bummer! my 10 year old CRT TV has Picture In Picture. How can LG claim this to be a Smart TV, but you are stuck watching only one channel at a time?? If anything, I would have expected it to allow me to watch multiple channels simultaneously, assuming I have those many tuners/inputs.
post #743 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsusername View Post

Is there a way to get rid of the "soap opera" look when playing back DVDs? I turned Tru Motion off and watching TV directly over-the-air looks fine, but when I play DVDs with the player that's hooked up to the composite, it looks strange.

I think that you have to go into options tab during movie playback and select Video options, and then disable Truemotion there. I have LM670 for only 2 days, so I'm still learning about it.
post #744 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Yes, you're right. I didn't know the settings were different when I had different sources on. That worked. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get the proper aspect ratio on the recorder for both 16:9 and 4:3 channels, without the 4:3 channels being stretched....

You've had the TV longer than me smile.gif .
post #745 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 12:28 PM

Can anyone help with the "real cinema" setting on this set. It's grayed out on my tv while watching a blu-ray or even while watching from my U-Verse box. I had read that it could possibly be grayed out depending on the source? Can anybody confirm this? I just wanted to check out this "soap opera effect" that everybody is talking about, since I don't recall ever really seeing it before.

Sorry if it's already been posted how to un-gray-out the box but I searched through the thread and couldn't find anything.
post #746 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 02:21 PM

Liked: 23
Real Cinema is available when using an input device (Blu-ray, etc) that is supplying a 1080 24fps video signal through an HDMI input. Also, on some LG models Real cinema may also be shown as available when using the built in tuner for some unknown reason. If your Blu-ray player is not set up to supply a 1080 24fps Real Cinema may be grayed out. Also , the Blu-ray disc must be a 1080 24fps signal source as authored. Cehck you BD player setup to make sure it is set to "Auto" or 1080p 24fps" and make sure you are playing a disc that is 24fps.
post #747 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Does the 47lm7600 only come with the magic remote and not the standard remote? I only got the magic remote and am limited without buttons, like a simple quick-view or input button.
post #748 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Just an update on my TV situation. I have found that the calibration of this TV set has reminded me about the calibration process for my home theater surround sound setup, in respect to the fact that your own environment is ultimately going to be the determining factor in your calibration settings. I tried every setting mentioned in this thread and none of them suited my particular room environment as some were too dark and others were too bright with washed out colors. So, what I ended up doing was simply running the Picture Wizard found in the display settings menu twice (Once during daylight and once at night). After running the wizard, I feel that I have finally found my TVs "G-Spot". I now have a PQ that I am very happy with. So my recommendation to all current and future users of this TV, is to run this wizard yourself, because after all your viewing environment will always differ from the next user.

One question I do have for my fellow AVSers is in regard to renaming inputs. In particular renaming them as PC or Game for use with a video game console. I have both a Ps3 and an Xbox 360 and I want to get the least amount of input lag possible. From the tests I have seen people run, it seems that you need to rename your inputs "PC" and/or "Game" to achieve this. First, how do you rename an input and second, what exactly are you renaming? When referring to an input, are you actually referring to an input on the TV such as HDMI1, HDMI2, etc. Or are you renaming something in the settings menu as PC or Game? Currently I have all my components going to my AV receiver and then I have 1 HDMI cable going to the TV. I would prefer leaving it this way, as I want all DTS, TruHD sound. Because of this, I am hoping that the renaming of inputs just means I need to change something in the settings as opposed to an actual input on the TV that I need to plug the gaming console into. Looking forward to some help. Thanks.
post #749 of 3968 Old 06-13-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:

With your calibrations were you able to improve the white levels? I had the 8600 and could never get the whites to really be bright. I compared it to a Samsung which had very bright whites. I also noticed duller whites when comparing the LG at Best Buy. I really liked the 3D but could never improve on those dull white areas.
post #750 of 3968 Old 06-14-2012, 04:38 AM

The whites on my 55LM760 are very bright no complaints here....biggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Displays , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Lg Nb3520a Sound Bar Audio System With Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth Streaming , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page