Official LG XXLM7600 Owners Thread... - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1081 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Try a calibration disc. My bleed and flash lighting was significantly better once my contrast and brightness were correct. I use a backlight of 40 for bright viewing and 25 for dark room. Set the local Dimming to medium. The line at the top may be an overscan issue. Did you try adjusting the aspect ratio? I get it with my Directv on some channels. Aspect fixes it. Try bypassing the Onkyo and plugging straight into the tv with hdmi. Try these and see what happens.

Fellow AVS readers....IMO, proper picture settings significantly help with flash lighting and bleed issues. I noticed that when my blacks were adjusted too dark, and the brightness was too high, the uniformity issues were very apparent. Once I got things dialed in to where I wasn't crushing the blacks and brightness was set correctly, the uniformity got much better. I agree 100% that these issues are a flaw of the ultra thin tv design that manufacturers are pushing nowadays. I have tried 4 different LGs this year (2-6700s and 2-7600s). All had uniformity issues due to design. Out of the box, all were bad. Once they were adjusted properly, all but one was a keeper as far as picture quality. (Had other issues warranting return...some was my stupidity). My 2 cents. If anyone is having issues, try the WOW disc or free AVS calibration disc (free) and see what happens.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got the 55LM7600 on friday from Best Buy for $1498. Thought it was a great price and it has good reviews

I have it in my living room next to the windows and I don't have much of a glare problem at all (although it's a north facing window so the sun doesn't shine directly in). I liked someone's description of "In between matte and glossy".

I do have some cloudiness on the corners that's only noticable in dark scenes at night.

I plugged my macbook directly into the HDMI and the video quality was so so. I adjusted the aspect ratio to "Just Scan" and it improved, but it's still not "OMFG Amazing". I may try an apple tv to see what that can do for the video quality, because I want to watch videos from third party sites that don't have any apps (motogp.com in particular)

Question:
How much better will the picture get if I get a power adapter that filters power noise and get the tv calibrated? Also, what do I need to calibrate on my own? I noticed the tv has some "built in calibration" that I went through, but I'm assuming this is low end and that I should find something better.
post #1083 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 40
hi guys, im planning to buy this tv, i dont know if it is worth it or not? but anyway which HDMI cable do i need to use for this set? ty.

(2) Energy RC 70 towers
(1) Energy Veritas 2.0C center
(2) Energy Veritas 2.0R surrounds
(2) Energy RC LCR back surrounds
(1) Rythmik LV12R sub
(1) Denon 2112CI avr
(1) LG 55" LM7600 tv
post #1084 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Since I use my TV as a monitor for my living room computer, I am hesitant to get a plasma because it would be just my luck that I would get image retention. If I did go the plasma route, it would be a Panasonic. Just sucks because passive 3D is amazing, and pretty much all other sets are active.

Hi, I noticed you mentioned that you use this tv as a monitor, I am trying to do the same thing, connecting my laptop through HDMI and setting it up on the laptop to clone the display. When I do this the tv seems to see the laptop as a window media player and only tries, and fails, to access the files. Rather than using it a video source.

Is there something that needs to be set up in the tv to sort this out or is it not possible to connect the laptop through HDMI?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
post #1085 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
I have an HDMI input dedicated to when I want my laptop connected, and I have an older desktop dedicated to the TV all the time for using my Slingbox. They hooked up with virtually no assistance from me. I can only guess it is some setting on your computer, the TV is going to see whatever it is being fed, so I have to think your computer is feeding it that information.
post #1086 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 10:55 AM

What is the video quality like for you? I hooked my macbook up via hdmi and turned aspect ratio to 'just scan'. It seems decent but I want excellent. Do you know if apple tv will bump the quality of a laptop feed to 1080p?
post #1087 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If you are talking about AirPlay mirroring your laptop display, it shouldn't be any different than when hooked up via hdmi. Did you go into display settings and try changing the output resolution or did you just use auto detect?

post #1088 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloyzki View Post

hi guys, im planning to buy this tv, i dont know if it is worth it or not? but anyway which HDMI cable do i need to use for this set? ty.
To me, this TV has so far been well worth the money I spent, especially in comparison with the 50" Sammy model I had decided on prior to buying the LG 55LM7600.
I'm using Blue Rigger HDMI cables that I bought on Amazon.
post #1089 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 05:29 PM

I changed the aspect ratio which helped, it looked best on 'Just scan'. But by 'output resolution' are you referring to the setting on the macbook going out? I messed with that as well
post #1090 of 3957 Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjsiv View Post

Try a calibration disc. My bleed and flash lighting was significantly better once my contrast and brightness were correct. I use a backlight of 40 for bright viewing and 25 for dark room. Set the local Dimming to medium. The line at the top may be an overscan issue. Did you try adjusting the aspect ratio? I get it with my Directv on some channels. Aspect fixes it. Try bypassing the Onkyo and plugging straight into the tv with hdmi. Try these and see what happens.
Fellow AVS readers....IMO, proper picture settings significantly help with flash lighting and bleed issues. I noticed that when my blacks were adjusted too dark, and the brightness was too high, the uniformity issues were very apparent. Once I got things dialed in to where I wasn't crushing the blacks and brightness was set correctly, the uniformity got much better. I agree 100% that these issues are a flaw of the ultra thin tv design that manufacturers are pushing nowadays. I have tried 4 different LGs this year (2-6700s and 2-7600s). All had uniformity issues due to design. Out of the box, all were bad. Once they were adjusted properly, all but one was a keeper as far as picture quality. (Had other issues warranting return...some was my stupidity). My 2 cents. If anyone is having issues, try the WOW disc or free AVS calibration disc (free) and see what happens.
Good luck.

The line at the top isn't a real line, it is like a shade of light that is lighter than the rest of the TV, but it's not like clouding/flashlighting because it looks symmetrical going from left to right across the top of the screen, whereas I've never seen flashlighting look symmetrical. Really hard to explain. Changing the aspect ratio didn't get rid of it, it's not just on Uverse, it's on everything.

Do you use the same contrast & brightness for daytime and night viewing, or do you change that too when you change the backlight? (And if so, to what?)

Also, does anyone use Dynamic Contrast? I feel like it improves PQ, even details in shadows, but I see it off on everyone's calibrated settings.

Last time I posted I was thinking about trying plasma, since ppl praise their PQ, but after reading the Owners Threads for the VT50, GT50, and ST50, it sounds like more work than I can manage right now to prevent IR. I don't want to have to 'baby' my TV, so I think I'm going to exchange mine for another 7600 before I try something too crazy. Just hope the new one will not look like it is playing Hulu or Apple store shows in slow motion.

Office - Onkyo 506, AV123 X-LS Encore Monitors
Living Room -Panasonic 60ST60, Onkyo 707, Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 LCR
Car - Arc Audio Black 6.2; Arc Audio KS 2500.1, 300.4, 300.2; Audison BitOne; (2) Arc Audio Black 12 v2
post #1091 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Dynamic contrast can make outside scenes look very good, it would often be used for outdoor sports where faces are not really the focus. It tends to washout or otherwise make faces look unnatural. If you play with the settings enough it's possible to use Dynamic contrast all the time, but even then you might notice scenes where the face is in both light and dark is contrasted too much - one side looks too dark, the other too light. Scenes inside a car for instance are too uneven. But I use a more vivid setting for sports, which includes using Dynamic contrast. The natural contrast of this set is better than my last and so I have less need to want to use Dynamic contrast.
post #1092 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 03:42 PM

Liked: 14
A new firmware update (04.04.05) was pushed out today. I'm on the NSU E-Mode release server (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/930#post_22236794) , so it might not be released on the normal channels yet. Also, I'm not sure what's changed.
post #1093 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM

Can anyone confirm the actual size of the bezel?
It seems surprisingly mixed. First off, I've seen some reviewers (i.e. http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-47lm6700.html)
say that they are reviewing the lm7600, but, if I'm not mistaken, that is the lm6700.

Most reviewers that I have read say the bezel is 5mm on the 6700 model. The ones that have thoroughly inspected the lm7600 claim that bezel is roughly 1-1.5cm (10-15mm).

Videos have been misleading it seems. Some lm7600s really appear to have a thicker bezel than 5mm.

Anyone able to confirm this?

Thanks!
post #1094 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 05:32 PM

Does anyone know if they will release the NHL Gamecenter app for this tv? I've seen it on other models and I don't understand why they won't just release it??
post #1095 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thx1138 View Post

A new firmware update (04.04.05) was pushed out today. I'm on the NSU E-Mode release server (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/930#post_22236794) , so it might be released on the normal channels yet. Also, I'm not sure what's changed.

Yep, downloaded it earlier today. First chance I had to see what changes is now.

1. New picture position controls.
H Position
V Position
H Size
V Size

2. In HOME, 3D (the short programs) the banner on top now has search.

3. If you have your standby light set to "off" you may have to toggle it on then off. I noticed when I turned off the TV the standby light was on even though it was still set to off.

At this time I don't see any other changes.
post #1096 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkriblZz View Post

It seems surprisingly mixed. First off, I've seen some reviewers (i.e. http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lg-lcd-tv/lg-47lm6700.html)
say that they are reviewing the lm7600, but, if I'm not mistaken, that is the lm6700.
Most reviewers that I have read say the bezel is 5mm on the 6700 model. The ones that have thoroughly inspected the lm7600 claim that bezel is roughly 1-1.5cm (10-15mm).
Videos have been misleading it seems. Some lm7600s really appear to have a thicker bezel than 5mm.
Thanks!

From what I can tell it isn't that the space is different, but the size of the screen makes it look different. The picture from LG where you can hardly see a border is very much like it looks on my 55" 7600. On a smaller screen it apparently looks a little more. I don't believe there is any difference between the 6700 and 7600 in that respect. I didn't notice any when I was comparing the 6700 model and the 7600 model in the store, though I was not specifically looking for a difference.
post #1097 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgeh2o View Post

Also also- there is a weird line on the top of the screen, about a quarter of an inch maybe, that I can see when the picture isn't dark- I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, it's like a strip of light almost that is lighter than even the flashlighting, it really is weird. I told my friends about it and they think its crazy I'm complaining about it because they never noticed it until I pointed it out.

I just received the TV yesterday (this is my 2nd night with it) and I also have the weird line...It's not really a line perse but more like a white glow about a quarter inch along the top, right by the bezel. My mom who is in her mid 60's, noticed it upon me pointing it out. Seeing that my TV was Manufactured this month (August 2012) and hearing others having issues with flashlighting/banding, I had contemplated about returning it to BB under the "perfect match" policy but decided I do like this tv and although it annoys me, because I know it;s there and my eyes gravitate to it, but decided to not press my luck. I played ModernWarfare3 on the 360 and I experienced no gaming input lag at all! Popped in Empire Strikes Back Blu ray on PS3 to test it out and right before entering the Asteroid Field sequence, where the Millenium Falcon is in front of star destroyer coming towards camera, man...impressive!

Anyone have any video tweaks/settings for the gaming mode???
post #1098 of 3957 Old 08-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 12
Is the LM7600 more reliable than the LM8600? That is kinda the vibe I get from reading the threads and reviews.
post #1099 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkriblZz View Post

Thanks!

About 1 inch thick. It's black, and the plastic screen covers the bezel, so when the TV is off it looks like there is no bezel and it's just all screen. The LM7600 is the nicest aesthetically looking TV I've seen. The design of it is just beautiful. It's just unfortunate that I got two that had edge backlight bleeding issues (mostly on the top). Aside from that I loved everything else about the LG. It was difficult to see the backlight bleeding in a well-lit room or during regular watching (unless there was a dark movie scene). But I found myself always looking for it. You might be lucky to get one with very minor backlight bleeding to where it's nearly impossible to see in most situations.

I've seen Samsung LED TV's suffer from backlight bleeding, only it seemed to be more uniform and evenly distributed so it wasn't as bothersome.

I'll be going with Plasma instead.
post #1100 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa8 View Post

Yep, downloaded it earlier today. First chance I had to see what changes is now.
1. New picture position controls.
H Position
V Position
H Size
V Size
2. In HOME, 3D (the short programs) the banner on top now has search.
3. If you have your standby light set to "off" you may have to toggle it on then off. I noticed when I turned off the TV the standby light was on even though it was still set to off.
At this time I don't see any other changes.

Ok, I give up. eek.gif I can't find the new picture position controls. Tampa8, where are these located?
post #1101 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:

A new firmware update (04.04.05) was pushed out today. I'm on the NSU E-Mode release server (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399636/official-lg-xxlm7600-owners-thread/930#post_22236794) , so it might not be released on the normal channels yet. Also, I'm not sure what's changed.

Do you know the codes for EZ MENU?

I'm using the python script to connect to my LG and I need to type a numeric code to access these functions.
https://github.com/ubaransel/lgcommander
post #1102 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 03:51 PM

I have no idea, sorry. I'm using a Harmony 700 to get to the EZ MENU. Maybe this can help you: http://openlgtv.org.ru/wiki/index.php/Access_hidden_service_menus_/_modes
post #1103 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, I give up. eek.gif I can't find the new picture position controls. Tampa8, where are these located?

In the Expert settings, then ISF control
post #1104 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:

In the Expert settings, then ISF control

Ok, so Settings > Picture > Expert Control > ??? I don't have the options

My picture models set to ISF Expert1. What am I missing?
post #1105 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

It's in the ISF control - second page. (I think only in the two expert settings)
post #1106 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:

It's in the ISF control - second page. (I think only in the two expert settings)

Weird, I'm set to ISF1, but I do not have the ISF control menu option under tint. Mine says Expert Control,and there are no options for horizontal/vertical.

Here's what my menu looks like with ISF1 selected:

And here's what it looks like with Standard selected:

The menu changes from Expert Control to Advanced Control, but no ISF control. I have a 55LM7600, with firmware 04.04.05
post #1107 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Hey all, I've been pouring through several LED and plasma related threads. I'm within a few days of clicking the buy button on something and have been leaning toward this TV. It's come down to the LM7600 or the Panny ST50, 55" models. I purchased a 5000 series Infinia LED last year for a relative and I'm still impressed with it every time I visit. I feel like I'm on shaky ground with the 7600 because of the thread and pro reviews, as if it might be a step backwards from last years lineup. I don't know what to do, pull the trigger and hope for the best in terms of uniformity, flash-lighting, clouding, etc., or swing over to the Panasonic and baby it for 200+ hours while I break it in and pray to avoid IR or worse, not something I'm exactly happy to do.

When it comes to professional reviews, most of the top sites seem to hold the 7600 in high regard relative to LED competitors of this year; although, David Katzmaier over at CNET was thoroughly unimpressed with the 6700. This wasn't something I had to deal with back in the day, you'd think we'd be in a better position now.

I know the concerns about the units, I suppose I'm just looking for a reason why people would choose the 7600 over the ST50, which is cheaper and no one seems to have anything bad to say about PQ. TIA
post #1108 of 3957 Old 08-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

post #1109 of 3957 Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 AM

Tampa...

In your pictures (post #1120), I see that your tv has the same symptoms of mine, which I just received Wednesday. There is about a quarter of an inch of a strip of light that I can see when the picture isn't dark- I'm not exactly sure how to explain it. I don't know how long you have had your tv but in your opinion, do you think I should return this for another LG?!? I think this tv is great, other than this imperfection and it just annoys me and my eyes gravitate to it every time I'm watching tv or playing on XBOX. My tv is an August 2012 build.
post #1110 of 3957 Old 08-25-2012, 06:29 AM
Advanced Member

I rarely see it, if the TV is on the wall looking slightly up in most scenes you really have to look to see it. It is much more pronounced in the pictures because of the angle I was standing at. If the TV is lower and looking straight on, you might notice it more. I can see how it could bother someone, but for me it doesn't.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm7600 55 Inch Cinema 3d 1080p 240 Hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Displays , Onkyo Tx Nr609 7 2 Channel Network Thx Certified A V Receiver , Lg Nb3520a Sound Bar Audio System With Wireless Subwoofer Bluetooth Streaming , Samsung Un55d7000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page