I posted in the "The "help me choose an LCD" thread" and I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that or make a separate thread, so if anything I'm sorry for a double post.
To start off, like probably many who ask here, I am a total noobie in HDTVs.
For shipping purposes I live in North NJI plan to mount the TV on the wall with an articulating wall bracket so I could turn it to a good angle to face my bed or desk.Based on what I know (though I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am)
-I want 120hz, because I don't want motion blurring, and 240hz is a significant price hike.
-I don't care about how thick the TV is, so if a thicker TV means cheaper price or better performance, that's good for me.
-1080p is the standard resolution and the one I want.
-I was thinking about a 40-42" but realized I might be able to get away with even a smaller size for my room, though not sure.Budget
-I would like to spend around $500 or lower on the TV (wouldn't rule out any good deals around the under $600 price range right away either)Viewing distance
- I will be sitting/laying down about 7.5-12ft (depending on which part of bed I'm on). I will probably want to mount it on the wall so I can change the viewing angle, in case I want to watch from my desk-chair (see room sketch image)Current TV
- I will be replacing a 20" tube TV that is probably around 18 years old.Uses for new TV
- I want to use it to mostly hook up my laptop with HDMI cable and watch movies/shows I download (I use a separate monitor for PC gaming), also probably will get a cable box and a DVD/blueray player for it, and maaaybe a gaming console in the future (though slim chance).Extra features
- I do not really need "Bells and whistles" such as internet browsing/3D TV etc. if it will save me money, though if they're included in the deal, that's cool too.Room lighting/lighting preferences
- I have a bright lamp hanging from the ceiling that uses a wall switch, and two windows both opposite from the place my current TV is (see room sketch image), both of them have light colored blinds covering them. I usually like to keep lights on when watching TV
(the brightness of TV in the dark bothers my eyes).
I've heard that Samsung is best with LG trailing close second and then SONY as 3rd. (Don't know if this is true, but this is what I've heard.) If there are other good brands, please recommend.
Any info you could give me regarding all of this or advice would be much appreciated.
Once again, regarding Viewing Angle *I plan to mount the TV on the wall with an articulating wall bracket so I could turn it to a good angle to face my bed or desk.