Noob want to buy regular LCD or LCD/LED HDTV, 1080P, Diagram of room inside - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I posted in the "The "help me choose an LCD" thread" and I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that or make a separate thread, so if anything I'm sorry for a double post.

To start off, like probably many who ask here, I am a total noobie in HDTVs.
For shipping purposes I live in North NJ
I plan to mount the TV on the wall with an articulating wall bracket so I could turn it to a good angle to face my bed or desk.

Based on what I know (though I could be wrong, so please correct me if I am)
-I want 120hz, because I don't want motion blurring, and 240hz is a significant price hike.
-I don't care about how thick the TV is, so if a thicker TV means cheaper price or better performance, that's good for me.
-1080p is the standard resolution and the one I want.
-I was thinking about a 40-42" but realized I might be able to get away with even a smaller size for my room, though not sure.

Budget
-I would like to spend around $500 or lower on the TV (wouldn't rule out any good deals around the under $600 price range right away either)

Viewing distance
- I will be sitting/laying down about 7.5-12ft (depending on which part of bed I'm on). I will probably want to mount it on the wall so I can change the viewing angle, in case I want to watch from my desk-chair (see room sketch image)

Current TV
- I will be replacing a 20" tube TV that is probably around 18 years old.

Uses for new TV
- I want to use it to mostly hook up my laptop with HDMI cable and watch movies/shows I download (I use a separate monitor for PC gaming), also probably will get a cable box and a DVD/blueray player for it, and maaaybe a gaming console in the future (though slim chance).

Extra features
- I do not really need "Bells and whistles" such as internet browsing/3D TV etc. if it will save me money, though if they're included in the deal, that's cool too.

Room lighting/lighting preferences
- I have a bright lamp hanging from the ceiling that uses a wall switch, and two windows both opposite from the place my current TV is (see room sketch image), both of them have light colored blinds covering them. I usually like to keep lights on when watching TV (the brightness of TV in the dark bothers my eyes).

I've heard that Samsung is best with LG trailing close second and then SONY as 3rd. (Don't know if this is true, but this is what I've heard.) If there are other good brands, please recommend.

Any info you could give me regarding all of this or advice would be much appreciated.

Once again, regarding Viewing Angle *I plan to mount the TV on the wall with an articulating wall bracket so I could turn it to a good angle to face my bed or desk.*

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Look at the LG LK450 and LK520 and the Samsung D630 (and perhaps D550). The Samsungs come in 40" and 46" sizes and the LG LK450 comes in 42" max and the LK520 comes in 42", 47", and 55". I wouldn't recommend anything smaller than 40" for that viewing distance and for the money, the LG 42LK450 with the S-IPS panel can't be beat (I got mine under $500 on sale).
post #3 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply man.

The LGLK520 seems to be not bad, though I dunno how the reviews are on it yet, I've seen it during my search as well.

what do you think of it versus the LG 42 LV4400

I may be wrong on this stuff, but it seems that:

- the LG LK450 is 60hz only, I wanted to do with a 120hz because I hate motion blur

- the Samsung D550 seems to be 60hz as well

- the Samsung D630 I can't seem to find many places selling or actually current prices on it.
The only place I saw a price on it was on amazon and that was like $693
post #4 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRu View Post

Thanks for the reply man.

The LGLK520 seems to be not bad, though I dunno how the reviews are on it yet, I've seen it during my search as well.

what do you think of it versus the LG 42 LV4400

I may be wrong on this stuff, but it seems that:

- the LG LK450 is 60hz only, I wanted to do with a 120hz because I hate motion blur

- the Samsung D550 seems to be 60hz as well

- the Samsung D630 I can't seem to find many places selling or actually current prices on it.
The only place I saw a price on it was on amazon and that was like $693

The Samsung D630 and LG LK520 are both 120Hz. I don't recommend the edge-lit LED LG since it likely has screen uniformity issues.
post #5 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I saw that, I was saying that the other two were 60hz.

The Samsung one is just almost $700, which is kinda high for me, unless there is some better deal on it somewhere I haven't seen.

About the Edge-lighting - are you saying that the LG LV4400 is edge-lit, while the LK520 is back-lit? (I'm not arguing here at all, I'm sincerely asking, because I have no even considered this factor, can you please give me more info about that spec)
post #6 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking at your room layout you will need to wall mount that with an articulating mount if you don't want viewing angle issues or you plan on setting it on something and turning towards your bed.
post #7 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, I saw that, I was saying that the other two were 60hz.

The Samsung one is just almost $700, which is kinda high for me, unless there is some better deal on it somewhere I haven't seen.

About the Edge-lighting - are you saying that the LG LV4400 is edge-lit, while the LK520 is back-lit? (I'm not arguing here at all, I'm sincerely asking, because I have no even considered this factor, can you please give me more info about that spec)

If you're looking to save some money, the LG would do fine. Regarding backlighting, the LED model you mentioned has edge-lit LEDs (not full-array LEDs found on large, high end models) while all CCFL-LCDs have a full-array of CCFL tubes, which makes much better screen uniformity possible.
post #8 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

So lemme get this straight:

As far as LCDs are concerned, there are a few types, the main 3 being

-the regular LCD - which uses those "tubes" called CCFL technology

-the edge lit LED - an LCD TV with LEDs around the edge (causing bad uniformity)

-the back lit LED - an LCD TV with LEDs all throughout the back (resulting in more uniform and better blacks)

Am I correct on this?
post #9 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Looking at your room layout you will need to wall mount that with an articulating mount if you don't want viewing angle issues or you plan on setting it on something and turning towards your bed.

I guess, though not sure what an articulating mount is... But yeah I probably want to be able to have the TV mounted in such a way that I could have if facing my bed in a 45 degree angle to my wall about, that I can change at any time.
post #10 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

So lemme get this straight:

As far as LCDs are concerned, there are a few types, the main 3 being

-the regular LCD - which uses those "tubes" called CCFL technology

-the edge lit LED - an LCD TV with LEDs around the edge (causing bad uniformity)

-the back lit LED - an LCD TV with LEDs all throughout the back (resulting in more uniform and better blacks)

Am I correct on this?

Yes but not ALL Edge Lit TVs have bad uniformity.
post #11 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 05:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I guess, though not sure what an articulating mount is... But yeah I probably want to be able to have the TV mounted in such a way that I could have if facing my bed in a 45 degree angle to my wall about, that I can change at any time.

Sample articulating mount:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #12 of 39 Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh ok thank you for all that info everybody.

PLEASE though, post me some more models to check out that meet my requirements! Would be much appreciated.
post #13 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

PLEASE though, post me some more models to check out that meet my requirements! Would be much appreciated.

Your budget makes that difficult IMO. I'm not trying to be rude, but considering the nature of this forum most of us have paid more for our displays. If you can swing it (really tighten down your budget for a few months for one big push...after all for how long willl this be your TV?) and get into the $1000 range a LOT of things open up if you ask me. Especially in a 42inch display.
post #14 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 07:41 AM
aod
Advanced Member

The LG xxLK450/520 models are very good and would fit in your budget. I bought the 42LV4400 during the Christmas rush for a bargain price and owned for 48 hours. Worst tv I've ever had.

post #15 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are a couple of dozen more on the Monoprice website, all good quality and most likely one that will work nicely for you. With your budget keep in mind if you wall mount don't forget you will need a power outlet on the wall, some simple wall plates to get you cabling from point A to point B and cables...about 60 bucks if you do the work, and depending on how much of it you do yourself, a couple of hundred, at least if you have it done.
post #16 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Your budget makes that difficult IMO. I'm not trying to be rude, but considering the nature of this forum most of us have paid more for our displays. If you can swing it (really tighten down your budget for a few months for one big push...after all for how long willl this be your TV?) and get into the $1000 range a LOT of things open up if you ask me. Especially in a 42inch display.

Oh no, I totally get what you mean man, just honestly - I've never yet even owned a single flat panel T.V., the ones in my house are like 20 years old. I'm 26 and just want to get one for my bedroom that is a good size for the room and also more or less a decent TV. I heard from many people that I could get one that would look nice for me especially as I am inexperienced, for around 500 bucks or so. Perhaps I can get away with something smaller than 42" for lower price?
post #17 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

The LG xxLK450/520 models are very good and would fit in your budget. I bought the 42LV4400 during the Christmas rush for a bargain price and owned for 48 hours. Worst tv I've ever had.

Oh nice, yeah that's good to know. Is it because the 520 is regular LCD and the 4400 is a badly edge lit LED?
post #18 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

There are a couple of dozen more on the Monoprice website, all good quality and most likely one that will work nicely for you. With your budget keep in mind if you wall mount don't forget you will need a power outlet on the wall, some simple wall plates to get you cabling from point A to point B and cables...about 60 bucks if you do the work, and depending on how much of it you do yourself, a couple of hundred, at least if you have it done.

What is Monoprice? I've never heard of it before.

What are all these things I have to run?? I have some outlets by that wall and can add like a surge protector and mount it on wall......... what is the other cabling for?
post #19 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Also, would you recommend any other companies other than LG, Samsung, or Sony??
post #20 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
aod
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh nice, yeah that's good to know. Is it because the 520 is regular LCD and the 4400 is a badly edge lit LED?

I had the 42LK520 for a while an I loved it. I really do wish I would've kept it but I came across a deal I just couldn't pass up on my Sony 46NX720. It really was a great tv. As far as the LG 42LV4400, it was a bargain basement TV at a bargain basement price for an LED. It's really to bad because I'm such an LG fan. If there was an ugly stepchild in their lineup, this would be it. More power to the 42LV4400 owners who find them acceptable, but it barely qualified for me. Colors, response time, sound, lacking in advertised TruMotion. It goes on and on.

post #21 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is Monoprice? I've never heard of it before.

What are all these things I have to run?? I have some outlets by that wall and can add like a surge protector and mount it on wall......... what is the other cabling for?

If you don't power cords and HDMI cables hanging down your wall then not to worry. Monoprice..
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10828#1082811
post #22 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Oh no, I totally get what you mean man, just honestly - I've never yet even owned a single flat panel T.V., the ones in my house are like 20 years old. I'm 26 and just want to get one for my bedroom that is a good size for the room and also more or less a decent TV. I heard from many people that I could get one that would look nice for me especially as I am inexperienced, for around 500 bucks or so. Perhaps I can get away with something smaller than 42" for lower price?

It's all good....I just think you'll get more value if you go a bit higher. In for a penny in for a pound. I'd hate to see someone buy a display with a a ton of compromises when a little bit more will get you something nicer. When I did a custom search for your requirements on Amazon I didn't get many hits. You might consider dropping 1080p as a requirement...especially if you go for a smaller size. I doubt you'd notice the difference from 12 feet on a small panel.

Quote:

If you don't power cords and HDMI cables hanging down your wall then not to worry. Monoprice..
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...=10828#1082811

This is also a nice way to hide cables IMO...especially if you paint it:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-c5Mhx0E...ver-CMK30.html
post #23 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes
post #24 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 05:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 351
Quote:

Also, would you recommend any other companies other than LG, Samsung, or Sony??

I purchased the JVC 42" Black Crystal LCD for my father during the Christmas season. I paid $515 at a local store but now I noticed Costco carries them for $499.

4 HDMI inputs, one optical and stereo RCA audio outputs, 120hz, pc input, audio only mode and reportedly one of the best sounding TV's in its class.

http://tv.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelI...Id=200&page=10

Not many stores carry this model but now that Costco does maybe we'll see more reviews on it. Really nothing on AVS about this TV yet. Some reviews on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/JVC-JLC42BC300...1770094&sr=1-1

Found a youtube review below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-KarloK7IQ

Not sure how it stacks up to the Sony, Samsungs and LG's of the world but my father is quite happy with it.

Afro GT
post #25 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

aod - awesome bro, and so far most of the sites I've seen it on seem have a lot of good reviews for it - 4.5/5 stars.

topr - oh is that like a cheap site for home theater accessories and parts? I will be looking into that stuff after I actually select the TV I want to buy. Meanwhile, though, can you tell me what I will probably need except a TV - let's say for a 42" that I want to mount on the wall that can go side to side and will probly use to plug in with my laptop through HDMI cable and probably cable TV. Like for example: 1. Wall mount bracket...

Amartin56 - how much higher? and regarding cords - yeah bro that's about what I was going to do with them, that cover.

Plasma - ok thanks
post #26 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

afrogt - thanks for that info man.

Does anyone have an opinion about TVs by the other brands except the 3 (samsung, lg, sony) ??
post #27 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Amartin56 - how much higher? and regarding cords - yeah bro that's about what I was going to do with them, that cover.

Maybe this for a little over $800?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIER...1772678&sr=8-1

Make sure you know what you are getting into if you go Plasma, but they often provide the best picture quality for the buck. Went Edge Lit LED myself but they tend to cost more when done right. Plasma has a lot of inherent advantages that come with the tech rather than being bells and whistles add ons that costs $$$.
post #28 of 39 Old 03-14-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

eehhh don't really wanna mess with a plasma - I'm a total noob with TVs (I still have a 20 yr old tube tv) and electronics always mess up for me lol
post #29 of 39 Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Btw Guys, please explain to me, a total noobie of TVs (as I still have a tube tv), Why are Plasmas so shunned by society and why are all the enthusiasts so into them?!?!
post #30 of 39 Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Btw Guys, please explain to me, a total noobie of TVs (as I still have a tube tv), Why are Plasmas so shunned by society and why are all the enthusiasts so into them?!?!

Dont be affraid of plasma, if you want the best picture quality, motion handling, black levels, and color accuracy, get a plasma unless you use it as a pc monitor or have a lot of movies that play in 4:3 mode as this can eventually cause the screen to wear unevenly and could cause burn in (a thing of the past for the most part nowadays).

People will often say plasmas have burn in problems, are too dim, ect but for the most part, thats just a bunch of nonsense people like to talk about. True video enthusiasts prefer a plasma over an led lcd or lcd because of the clarity of the picture which looks life like whereas many led lcds do not. The lcds also use motion control to handle fast moving images better, but it doesnt really work and makes the show look like a soap opera.

The only downside is that plasmas only come in tv sizes of 42" or larger, but they are cheaper than their led lcd counter parts. You can generally get a screen size larger plasma (46" instead of 42") for the same price as a smaller led set

I know Samsung had their 2011 model d450 720p 43" plasma for 499.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page