Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://hdguru.com/panasonic-2012-tc-...619/#more-7619

Quote from review:

"In the THX mode the TCL55WT50 produced a maximum brightness of 28.71 ft lamberts with a full white 100IRE signal, more than adequate for almost any home. The minimum black level produced an amazingly low 0.002 ft lamberts. This is the lower limit of our Minolta LS100 light meter and the lowest black level we have seen since the last generation of the Pioneer Elite plasma! Please note this is with the LEDs on (some sets turn them off when fed a black test signal). To date we have not received a sample Sharp Elite LED HDTV, however our esteemed colleagues at Home Theater magazine measured it with the LED backlight on at 0.011 ft lamberts, a level over five times higher than the WT50."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Liked: 10
To me, an equally interesting comment in the review is that Panasonic appears to have solved the "soap opera effect" problem, and this set does not exhibit any!!! To me, that is a sea-change improvement over every other LCD or LED/LCD display.

Wes
post #3 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

I agree. It sounds to me that this TV has solved or substantially reduced most of the common complaints discussed about this technology.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 02:58 PM

I can't wait to read a more in depth review.

Samsung 46A750, Panasonic BD35, Dish 722
post #5 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If in depth reviews are as positive as this one then I know where I'll be spending my TV money.

post #6 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 PM

I'm surprised this thread isn't blowing up like wildfire. I actually came to post about the article but saw that the TS had already posted. Maybe the thread needs a better title to catch more attention, like "first panasonic LED review, sounds like the perfect tv" or something.

Also surprised no one mentioned that the article says there is no loss in off angle viewing, one of the biggest complaints by forum here about the high end Samsungs and others.

I can't wait for other sites to review this set................
post #7 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Funny how I just mentioned this set in the ES8000 thread. Now I just see this thread after my Post.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The 47" is active on the Shop Panasonic site:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L47WT50

post #9 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooben View Post

I'm surprised this thread isn't blowing up like wildfire. I actually came to post about the article but saw that the TS had already posted. Maybe the thread needs a better title to catch more attention, like "first panasonic LED review, sounds like the perfect tv" or something.

Also surprised no one mentioned that the article says there is no loss in off angle viewing, one of the biggest complaints by forum here about the high end Samsungs and others.

I can't wait for other sites to review this set................

I think this TV will catch on quick for those that are interested in LCD technology. Panasonic may have caught everyone off guard with how good this panel appears to be.

If you think about it, consumers didn't have a lot of choices for higher end LCD TV's with respect to performance and bench test numbers. They had Samsung, Sony and what else? Sharp Elite wasn't really an option for most because of the cost, now they have Panasonic.

This TV is going to surprise a lot of people with it's performance because it wasn't expected. An IPS panel with great blacks, an LCD with great viewing angles, reportedly no "soap opera effect", edge-lit with no flash lighting. Of course before we have the ticker tape parade, we need more professional reviews as well as some numbers from the pro calibrators.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Can't wait until I can grab the 55" for $1500 in 8 months

Seriously though, $3k for a 55" set, even if phenomenal, is simply way too much.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #11 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Can't wait until I can grab the 55" for $1500 in 8 months

Seriously though, $3k for a 55" set, even if phenomenal, is simply way too much.

Valid point.

A couple of things to keep in mind. The top end Samsung LCD (55ES80000) will also sell for around $3000.00, and Panasonic pricing is not set in stone yet as these TV's have not been released to public purchase. The second point is that Panasonic does not want to hurt their Plasma line, specifically the VT50 which will be displayed next to the WT50 at Best Buy.

It's going to be interesting to learn about the consumers reaction and purchasing decision when they compare these two panels side by side. Especially if the WT50 turns out to be as good as this first professional review.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post

I think this TV will catch on quick for those that are interested in LCD technology. Panasonic may have caught everyone off guard with how good this panel appears to be.

If you think about it, consumers didn't have a lot of choices for higher end LCD TV's with respect to performance and bench test numbers. They had Samsung, Sony and what else? Sharp Elite wasn't really an option for most because of the cost, now they have Panasonic.

This TV is going to surprise a lot of people with it's performance because it wasn't expected. An IPS panel with great blacks, an LCD with great viewing angles, reportedly no "soap opera effect", edge-lit with no flash lighting. Of course before we have the ticker tape parade, we need more professional reviews as well as some numbers from the pro calibrators.

I wonder if some of these characteristics will carry over to the lower end Panasonic LED's. I think I read somewhere that the other 47" and 55" models (even the non 3D one) will have the IPS panels. So I wonder if the viewing angles will be great on those as well? Also maybe no SOE on the others as well.

I did notice that the screen looks pretty glossy (plasma like) but I guess you can't have everything

-Guru
post #13 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListedGuru View Post

I wonder if some of these characteristics will carry over to the lower end Panasonic LED's. I think I read somewhere that the other 47" and 55" models (even the non 3D one) will have the IPS panels. So I wonder if the viewing angles will be great on those as well? Also maybe no SOE on the others as well.

I did notice that the screen looks pretty glossy (plasma like) but I guess you can't have everything

-Guru

Here is the Panasonic product page:

http://panasonic.net/avc/viera/us201...ct/wt_lcd.html

On the left hand column you can click on the different LCD series and read about their features and technology.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-11-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Stevens View Post

No doubt. I wasn't even thinking Panasonic. This set has definately caught my interest.

I was down to three before this:

Samsung ES8000 - 46"
LG 9600 - 47" (Now appears it's not going to be available)
LG 8600 - 47"

Looks to me now like its the Samsung or the Panny after reading about the 8600 issues. Only have 44" of width to work with.

More HD please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #15 of 16 Old 08-06-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote from review:

"In the THX mode the TCL55WT50 produced a maximum brightness of 28.71 ft lamberts"

The TC-L55WT50 does not have a THX picture mode and is not a THX certified HDTV.. I believe this is a mis-print by the reviewer and the word THX should have been the word Cinema.
post #16 of 16 Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Quote from review:

"In the THX mode the TCL55WT50 produced a maximum brightness of 28.71 ft lamberts with a full white 100IRE signal, more than adequate for almost any home. The minimum black level produced an amazingly low 0.002 ft lamberts. This is the lower limit of our Minolta LS100 light meter and the lowest black level we have seen since the last generation of the Pioneer Elite plasma! Please note this is with the LEDs on (some sets turn them off when fed a black test signal). To date we have not received a sample Sharp Elite LED HDTV, however our esteemed colleagues at Home Theater magazine measured it with the LED backlight on at 0.011 ft lamberts, a level over five times higher than the WT50."

In what world is less than 30 fL of maximum light output more than adequate for almost any home? I'd want 35-40 fL for a dark room, 45-50 fL for moderately lit room, and 55-60 fL+ for a bright room. Also, CNET measured massively higher black levels for this set. So, were they using a different picture mode and picture settings? (I think the auto-dimming backlight 'feature' is disabled in standard but active in cinema and custom, which explains the disparity in black level measurements between the two reviews.)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-l47wt50/4505-6482_7-35118048-2.html

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-568200/panasonic-tc-lwt50-picture-settings/?tag=StickyWin_1342554192052;createThreadPopup
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L55wt50
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page