Sony offering KDL-55EX720 as a replacement for KDL-52XBR6 (bad panel). - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My KDL-52XBR6 was confirmed to have a bad panel ($5000 repair) by a home visit by a Sony technician last week.

Today I got a call from Sony Extended Warranty service offering me either 1. a KDL-55EX720 set as a replacement or 2. $1329 in cash.

I find both offers offensive, given that the KDL-52XBR6 MSRP was $3200 and I paid $2500 for it.

Also, the KDL-55EX720 is being sold for $1599 on Sony.com, with an MSRP of $2399, and yet they are only offering me $1329 if i take the cash.

The KDL52XBR6 was bought in Jan 2009 , and I paid $350 dollars for the extended warranty from Sony. (the plan was bought through Sony)

The person I spoke to indicated that since the specifications match on the 55EX720, that's all they can offer me. The fact that my set is an XBR and the replacement isn't - means nothing to them.

The specifications actually DO NOT match (the replacement they are offering has about 8 less analog inputs and doesn't have a sound bar with 2.1 speakers). I've already called and had them note that and they are going to call me back in a few days.

Is there anything I can do about this?

update: Sony improved their offer to the KDL55NX720.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikediamond View Post

My KDL-52XBR6 was confirmed to have a bad panel ($5000 repair) by a home visit by a Sony technician last week.

Today I got a call from Sony Extended Warranty service offering me either 1. a KDL-55EX720 set as a replacement or 2. $1329 in cash.

I find both offers offensive, given that the KDL-52XBR6 MSRP was $3200 and I paid $2500 for it.

Also, the KDL-55EX720 is being sold for $1599 on Sony.com, with an MSRP of $2399, and yet they are only offering me $1329 if i take the cash.

The KDL52XBR6 was bought in Jan 2009 , and I paid $350 dollars for the extended warranty from Sony. (the plan was bought through Sony)

The person I spoke to indicated that since the specifications match on the 55EX720, that's all they can offer me. The fact that my set is an XBR and the replacement isn't - means nothing to them.

The specifications actually DO NOT match (the replacement they are offering has about 8 less analog inputs and doesn't have a sound bar with 2.1 speakers). I've already called and had them note that and they are going to call me back in a few days.

Is there anything I can do about this?

You might try contacting the Sony Listens team via the 'I have a Defective Sony TV' Facebook page (A google search should find it)

Most of the traffic involves dead rear projection sets but not all of it.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-18-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, any other ideas?
post #4 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Take the 1329, buy a Panasonic TC-P55ST30 and a sound bar.

Things have changed a lot in the last 3 years. You're not going to find a currently available set with 8 analog inputs or a decent sound system built-in. Instead you find internet features and 3D capability and, in the case of Samsung's new flagship models, sets that are controllable by yelling at them or performing a chicken dance in front of them.

And next time you buy an extended warranty find out beforehand if they're going to pro-rate your set's value in the case of a replacement.

Steve S.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-19-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Take the 1329, buy a Panasonic TC-P55ST30 and a sound bar.

Things have changed a lot in the last 3 years. You're not going to find a currently available set with 8 analog inputs or a decent sound system built-in. Instead you find internet features and 3D capability and, in the case of Samsung's new flagship models, sets that are controllable by yelling at them or performing a chicken dance in front of them.

And next time you buy an extended warranty find out beforehand if they're going to pro-rate your set's value in the case of a replacement.

Thanks for the input. So in your opinion the Samsung flagship models are more reliable than Sony? After hearing the sony warranty service technician tell me that bad panels are extremely common, and how many bad panels he sees within 5 years of use, I'm definitely going to want to get another extended warranty. I will be looking for one where they don't try to lowball me on the replacement, as Sony is doing. Any suggestions for a better extended warranty company for my next set would be appreciated.

My current extended warranty which I got from Sony doesn't really say that they would pro-rate my sets value. What it says in the fine print is:

"...the total liability owed to You under this contract will be the lesser of (I) the current market value of the product with equivalent specifications or (II) the retail price paid for Your product minus sales tax"

the problem I have with (I) is , even though the set they are offering has 3d features and built in internet and a 3 inch larger screen, the specifications are not equivalent. it's still not an XBR, doesn't have nearly as many inputs as mine, and doesn't have the sound bar, among other several other things.

In short, its a Wal-Mart style Sony that they are trying to replace my flagship Sony with, and claiming its specifications are equivalent.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input. So in your opinion the Samsung flagship models are more reliable than Sony? After hearing the sony warranty service technician tell me that bad panels are extremely common, and how many bad panels he sees within 5 years of use, I'm definitely going to want to get another extended warranty. I will be looking for one where they don't try to lowball me on the replacement, as Sony is doing. Any suggestions for a better extended warranty company for my next set would be appreciated.

My current extended warranty which I got from Sony doesn't really say that they would pro-rate my sets value. What it says in the fine print is:

"...the total liability owed to You under this contract will be the lesser of (I) the current market value of the product with equivalent specifications or (II) the retail price paid for Your product minus sales tax"

the problem I have with (I) is , even though the set they are offering has 3d features and built in internet and a 3 inch larger screen, the specifications are not equivalent. it's still not an XBR, doesn't have nearly as many inputs as mine, and doesn't have the sound bar, among other several other things.

In short, its a Wal-Mart style Sony that they are trying to replace my flagship Sony with, and claiming its specifications are equivalent.

It was not my intention to say that a Samsung is more reliable, only that their emphasis on high end models has shifted from picture and sound quality to what some would consider gimmicky features. Samsung's high end sets are all edge-lit leds and are the worst on the market for uneven screen illlumination evidenced by flashlighting and clouding.

Another point I was trying to make was that as far as specs go nobody makes sets with as many analog inputs or as good an audio system as your current set. Sony couldn't give you one if they wanted to because it no longer exists in today's market.

You could try to make the case that since your old set is an XBR they should replace it with an XBR but the current XBR doesn't have 8 analog inputs or a sound bar either.

My real point was that with the exception of the multitude of analog inputs, you could take thier cash offer and buy the 55" Panasonic ST30 plasma to get pq equivalent to your current set, with no possibility of suffering the uneven illumination of today's led backlit sets, and have enough money left over to buy a sound bar that would be better than the one you have now. You would avoid the hassle with Sony, get an excellent tv, and only sacrifice the multitude of analog inputs which are really superfluous these days when almost all source devices use HDMI.

If you choose instead to fight for a better Sony than the EX720 I'd demand an HX929 but settle for an NX720, which would actually be a better tv as far as pq than your current one.

Steve S.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

It was not my intention to say that a Samsung is more reliable, only that their emphasis on high end models has shifted from picture and sound quality to what some would consider gimmicky features. Samsung's high end sets are all edge-lit leds and are the worst on the market for uneven screen illlumination evidenced by flashlighting and clouding.

Another point I was trying to make was that as far as specs go nobody makes sets with as many analog inputs or as good an audio system as your current set. Sony couldn't give you one if they wanted to because it no longer exists in today's market.

You could try to make the case that since your old set is an XBR they should replace it with an XBR but the current XBR doesn't have 8 analog inputs or a sound bar either.

My real point was that with the exception of the multitude of analog inputs, you could take thier cash offer and buy the 55" Panasonic ST30 plasma to get pq equivalent to your current set, with no possibility of suffering the uneven illumination of today's led backlit sets, and have enough money left over to buy a sound bar that would be better than the one you have now. You would avoid the hassle with Sony, get an excellent tv, and only sacrifice the multitude of analog inputs which are really superfluous these days when almost all source devices use HDMI.

If you choose instead to fight for a better Sony than the EX720 I'd demand an HX929 but settle for an NX720, which would actually be a better tv as far as pq than your current one.

great, thanks for all the excellent advice. Yeah I had read about the uniformity and viewing angle problems with the Samsung UN55D8000, which made me pretty much cross it off my list.. I am mainly concerned with picture quality, not all those gimmicky features. I have never considered a plasma before, but if you say the Panasonic ST30 plasma would have equal PQ to my current set, then that's definitely something I want to look into. Yeah the HX929 is most probably the set I'm going to buy in the end, but I'm worried about getting ripped off the panel fails on it in 3 years , all over again. I was thinking about looking into squaretrade or mack warranties, instead of Sony's, after this experience.

I'll definitely check out the Panasonic ST30 and NX720 though.

Are there any plasmas that would outdo the HX929 in picture quality for a few hundred dollars less? I am not too familiar with plasma tech - I know they have improved a lot since the old days.

Thanks
post #8 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

oh BTW, i just checked the specs on the HX929 on Sony's site and its speakers are listed as 2.1 (10w+10w+10w) (same as my 52xbr6, which has 10w+10w+15w)

the ex270 only has 2.0 speakers (10w+10w) , not sure how they can attempt to claim its equivalent to my 52xbr6 in the sound dept. especially when reviews of the ex720 state : "We were disappointed with the sound quality with the EX720. With a 46" TV you may or may not have a home theater system hooked up. Many will rely on the TVs inbuilt speakers. The 10W X 10W speakers produce a tinny, hollow, naked sound non-quality. "
post #9 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

great, thanks for all the excellent advice. Yeah I had read about the uniformity and viewing angle problems with the Samsung UN55D8000, which made me pretty much cross it off my list.. I am mainly concerned with picture quality, not all those gimmicky features. I have never considered a plasma before, but if you say the Panasonic ST30 plasma would have equal PQ to my current set, then that's definitely something I want to look into. Yeah the HX929 is most probably the set I'm going to buy in the end, but I'm worried about getting ripped off the panel fails on it in 3 years , all over again. I was thinking about looking into squaretrade or mack warranties, instead of Sony's, after this experience.

I'll definitely check out the Panasonic ST30 and NX720 though.

Are there any plasmas that would outdo the HX929 in picture quality for a few hundred dollars less? I am not too familiar with plasma tech - I know they have improved a lot since the old days.

Thanks

I'd wait for more reviews on the new ST/GT/VT-50 series Panny plasmas to see if they have better black levels than the 929. Even the outgoing heavily discounted (1kish) ST-30 will be better than the XBR-6. The 929 and Sharp Pro-Elite have better black levels than the ST-30, whether they're worth more than three times the price is up to you.

You might consider doing a little shopping around and actually looking at what's out there now at retailers to get an idea of what some of these sets look like--although the bright lights, lack of proper adjustment, and sometimes iffy demo loops in most stores don't really do most sets justice it's still worth a look if only to have some basis of comparison other than internet reviews.

Steve S.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 95
The speakers on the HX929 suck too. Don't go looking for a TV with "good" built-in sound, because you won't find any any more.

Since your TV is more than a few years old, there's not going to be anything completely equivalent to what you had...notice how they replacement they offered you is actually 3 inches bigger than what you had, since sony no longer manufactures 52" sets. Analog inputs are almost non-extant on today's sets. While I don't really remember the picture quality of your XBR6, I would agree with Steve here in that it would probably be esily exceeded by a 2011 mid-range panel like the NX720. "XBR" designation or original MSRP are not really what you call specifications on which sony has to match.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #11 of 12 Old 03-20-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

The speakers on the HX929 suck too. Don't go looking for a TV with "good" built-in sound, because you won't find any any more.

Since your TV is more than a few years old, there's not going to be anything completely equivalent to what you had...notice how they replacement they offered you is actually 3 inches bigger than what you had, since sony no longer manufactures 52" sets. Analog inputs are almost non-extant on today's sets. While I don't really remember the picture quality of your XBR6, I would agree with Steve here in that it would probably be esily exceeded by a 2011 mid-range panel like the NX720. "XBR" designation or original MSRP are not really what you call specifications on which sony has to match.

I'm not saying the sound is great (I have a home theater), I am just using it as an example calling into question this idea that the set Sony is trying to replace mine with is not equivalent. Their contract ,which I paid $350 for, says: (I) the current market value of the product with equivalent specifications .

1. It has 2.0 speakers. the hx929 has 2.1 , as does mine.

2. The remote control of the EX720 is not even backlit. (mine of course is).

3. Its missing a bunch of inputs. For instance, my set has 2 component inputs. The TV they are trying to replace it with has only 1 (component inputs are not phased out due to obsolescence).

There are more examples I could list. I am listing specific, quantifiable examples. I would never in a million years buy the kind of junk they are offering me. We always buy XBR. XBR, while not being a quantitative specification that one can directly compare, still stands for something.
post #12 of 12 Old 03-21-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

update: Sony improved their offer to the KDL55NX720.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Kdl55ex720 55 Inch 1080p 3d Led Hdtv Black , Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 52xbr6 52 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page