post #901 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

I have to disagree with you on one thing cmay and that is you said "All edge lit panels will have flashlighting to a degree in the corners on dark scenes". Mine dont and I have looked for it while watching my tv with all the lights turned off and having an all black screen on my tv just so I could see if I had that problem. I dont thank god.
Your right Aaron it is pretty common unfortunatley. Maybe they can correct that fault with OLED/4K but who knows.

Sounds like you have a good panel then....but I still stand by my statement. Some are just so minor that it only pops up occasionally say when you are watching 3D and the backlight is maxed out and you get to the end credits. Also... having an all black screen does not necessarily produce flashlighting. The best way to test is for end credits or intro credits that are black screens with minimal lettering. Try the intro credits to Resident Evil Retribution 3D or the end credits to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 3D with the backlight maxed. Yours sounds like a great panel.... but I don't think you have witnessed it because you haven't run into one of the problem "scenes" on specific movies and/or your settings are set correctly which minimizes/reduces it to not being noticeable.

Telling someone that there are edge lit tvs with zero flashlighting whatsoever is setting up a new owner with unrealistic expectations. Its the same as telling someone that there are LED panels with zero banding, when in fact almost all will display banding to some degree on grey scale test slides with someone who knows what to look for. Obviously, one does not watch TV on a normal basis with settings specifically set to produce these issues, but it highlights my point that just because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there, you just have a good panel that does not exhibit the issue under normal viewing conditions which is what we all want in a good panel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Telling someone that there are edge lit tvs with zero flashlighting whatsoever is setting up a new owner with unrealistic expectations.

I couldn't agree more. I say this with all due respect, but I think Steve's TV is definitely an outlier in this thread, and accordingly some of his comments [regarding expectations] need to be taken with a grain of salt.
post #903 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Sounds like you have a good panel then....but I still stand by my statement. Some are just so minor that it only pops up occasionally say when you are watching 3D and the backlight is maxed out and you get to the end credits. Also... having an all black screen does not necessarily produce flashlighting. The best way to test is for end credits or intro credits that are black screens with minimal lettering. Try the intro credits to Resident Evil Retribution 3D or the end credits to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 2 3D with the backlight maxed. Yours sounds like a great panel.... but I don't think you have witnessed it because you haven't run into one of the problem "scenes" on specific movies and/or your settings are set correctly which minimizes/reduces it to not being noticeable.

Telling someone that there are edge lit tvs with zero flashlighting whatsoever is setting up a new owner with unrealistic expectations. Its the same as telling someone that there are LED panels with zero banding, when in fact almost all will display banding to some degree on grey scale test slides with someone who knows what to look for. Obviously, one does not watch TV on a normal basis with settings specifically set to produce these issues, but it highlights my point that just because you don't see it doesn't mean its not there, you just have a good panel that does not exhibit the issue under normal viewing conditions which is what we all want in a good panel.

Well stated. Steve, you da man and all, and have been amazing on these forums in regards to assisting others, but cmay nailed it here for the 98.9% of the rest of us. I can't echo these statements enough in regards to my experiences.

I will say this however in regards to: ".... with the backlight maxed."

Why on gods green earth would you ever have your backlight set to Max??? Yikes! smile.gif
post #904 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Well stated. Steve, you da man and all, and have been amazing on these forums in regards to assisting others, but cmay nailed it here for the 98.9% of the rest of us. I can't echo these statements enough in regards to my experiences.

I will say this however in regards to: ".... with the backlight maxed."

Why on gods green earth would you ever have your backlight set to Max??? Yikes! smile.gif

I know... Sounds ludicrous, but believe it or not on the 65HX950, in 3D mode on both General and Cinema scene select, backlight is maxed at 10 and not adjustable (greyed out) at least for those two scene select settings.
post #905 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Liked: 15
It seems like a lot of people use the PS3 3D glasses for this tv. What do other's use?

I'm ready to purchase glasses but I just want to see if there is a better deal out there.
post #906 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie pastrano View Post

It seems like a lot of people use the PS3 3D glasses for this tv. What do other's use?

I'm ready to purchase glasses but I just want to see if there is a better deal out there.

PS3 3D glasses are just $19.99 at BB.

You will want to either use Polarizing 3D glasses like the PS3 ones or other 3rd party company that makes compatible glasses or make sure you get the free polarizing filters for either the 250 or 750 Sony 3D glasses. Trust me, you'll need polarizing lenses otherwise the 3D will look less than stellar.
post #907 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Lucidream....you're right. Everyone reading this thread take my comments with a grain of salt...you are all right and I am wrong. You guys know more then me when it comes to tvs..my tv as lucidream says is just an outlier, whatever that means, and my comments and views don't mean a hill of beans. All I said is my tv has zero flashlighting problems and I get comments like what I got from lucidream? Gee I guess no one can get a near perfect tv these days can they?....I guess my tv had flashlighting problems and I am blind!!!! Whatever. Oh just take everything I say with a grain of salt because my views don't matter or what I say is an outright lie. Ok I have ranted now moving on to better things.

I think the fact that you respond to Lucidream with a rant like the one above is a major reason people take what you say with a grain of salt.

I specifically said in my post that it sounds like you got a really good panel. Did I not?
post #908 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First cmay I never said you did now did I? Second I will rant all I want when I feel someone is calling me a liar or saying that what I say dont mean a thing when all I have tried doing was giving my views on the HX750 or trying to help people out if they have a question. I didnt mislead anyone about the light bleed issue all I said was mine didnt have it and yes cmay I do know what to look for because I aint no rookie when it comes to HDTV's. Also yes I have watched for it during a movies credits roll ect and again its not there so you may be right I got a really good panel. Is every tv gonna have the same result? No. And are there tv's out there with no light bleed at all? Yes there is. Lastly it seems to me that the light bleed and clouding issues are more of an issue with larger screen tv's such as 55inch or larger. The bigger the screen the more the consumer may have that issue. Its a hit or miss game or a roll of the dice as I call it. That being said people can take what I say with a grain of salt all they want, I stand by what I say.

???huh??? Why are you flaming me? Never said i did what? you lost me there. Lucidream is the one who made the post? You are making no sense right now.
post #909 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok cmay let me go back again........ you said "
I think the fact that you respond to Lucidream with a rant like the one above is a major reason people take what you say with a grain of salt." and you said " I specifically said in my post that it sounds like you got a really good panel. Did I not?" and I responded to you!!!!! Flameing you? No cmay I aint flaming you. I am done with this thread and this forum.

Go back and read your initial response. You said " I never said you did now did I" ... I'm asking what are you referring to with that comment... The one where I said you have a good panel?

Again, you make no sense. I say you have a good panel twice and you are ranting at me now? Now I can see why the other posters take everything you say with a grain of salt. It's just a thread about tvs. Calm yourself down.
post #910 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 PM

Liked: 12
The sound of rattling sabers on AVS. ^^
post #911 of 1887 Old 02-05-2013, 08:51 PM

Liked: 10
Been meaning to post my settings for a while, so here they are to get things back on track.

These are HDMI 1 settings, for a PS3 used for bluray and HD playback.

These setting focus on the deepest blacks, and WITH them I have very very little backlight bleeding.

Scene Select - Cinema
Picture Mode - Cinema 2
Backlight - Min
Brightness - 55
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 2
Sharpness - 40
Noise Reduction - Off
MPEG Noise Reduction - Off
Dot Noise Reduction - Off
Motionflow - Clear
CineMotion - Auto 2
Advance Settings - Below
Black Corrector - Low
Adv. Contract Enhancer - Low
Gamme - 0
Auto Light Limiter - Off
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Off
White Balance - Below
R-Gain - 0
G-Gain - 0
B-Gain - minus 1
R-Bias - 0
G-Bias - 0
B-Bias - 0
Detail Enhancer - Off
Edge Enhancer - Off
Skin Naturalizer - Off and grayed out
i/p Conversion Preference - Quality and grayed out
Home - Settings - Picture & Display - Below
Screen - Below
Wide Mode - Full
Auto Wide - Off
4:3 Default - Off and grayed out
Auto Display Area - Off
Display Area - Full Pixel
Screen Position - grayed out
Vertical Size - 0 and grayed out
Pro Picture Setup - Below
Color Matrix - Below
HDMI 1 - Custom
480i - ITU601
480p - ITU601
1080i - ITU709
720p - ITU709
1080p - ITU709
HDMI Dynamic Range - Below
HDMI 1 - Limited

Regarding the drama: an outlier is a data point that falls noticeably far outside of a trend. So if everyone in a 5 mile ratio got a flooded basement during a big storm, only Steve didn't. This has nothing to do with the great advice you have given about TV settings and tweaks, has only to do with the consistently defect free praise you give your TV (no light bleed, never resets, etc). Again, this is about expectations for new members coming to this forum. They may need to buy and exchange 100 750's to get one as good quality as yours, and then may still not. Also some suggestion previously that there is something different about your tv than everyone else's? It's the internet - it's hard to tell tone. Maybe grain of salt is not the most favourable way of putting it - but the only point is people should put into context that you are the top percentile of happy customer, and most people need to console themselves in having more modest expectations of the normal level of defect in their TV. Cheers.
post #912 of 1887 Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidream View Post

Regarding the drama: an outlier is a data point that falls noticeably far outside of a trend. So if everyone in a 5 mile ratio got a flooded basement during a big storm, only Steve didn't. This has nothing to do with the great advice you have given about TV settings and tweaks, has only to do with the consistently defect free praise you give your TV (no light bleed, never resets, etc). Again, this is about expectations for new members coming to this forum. They may need to buy and exchange 100 750's to get one as good quality as yours, and then may still not. Also some suggestion previously that there is something different about your tv than everyone else's? It's the internet - it's hard to tell tone. Maybe grain of salt is not the most favourable way of putting it - but the only point is people should put into context that you are the top percentile of happy customer, and most people need to console themselves in having more modest expectations of the normal level of defect in their TV. Cheers.

+1

Great post.

Also....as helpful as Steve may or may not have been in the past in this thread, the problem is he obviously is the type of personality that needs everyone to agree with him and if someone doesn't, goes on the defensive. I don't know how many times I needed to point out to him that I said he had a really good panel, yet he goes on and on and on and on about my comment that perhaps people don't take him seriously because he responded to your post like a 10 year old child. Maybe he should have taken the time to look up outlier before throwing this temper tantrum over your post.
post #913 of 1887 Old 02-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Liked: 18
Wow what happened here since my last visit? I must say... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh7tgX_Uaqs
post #914 of 1887 Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
The dart to the neck is my favorite

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #915 of 1887 Old 02-06-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:

PS3 3D glasses are just $19.99 at BB.

You will want to either use Polarizing 3D glasses like the PS3 ones or other 3rd party company that makes compatible glasses or make sure you get the free polarizing filters for either the 250 or 750 Sony 3D glasses. Trust me, you'll need polarizing lenses otherwise the 3D will look less than stellar.

Awesome! Thank you!

I was hoping there would be some sort of cheaper version of these glasses. So for 19.99 it comes with 2 pairs?
post #916 of 1887 Old 02-07-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

Awesome! Thank you!

I was hoping there would be some sort of cheaper version of these glasses. So for 19.99 it comes with 2 pairs?

No willie they are $19.99 per pair.
post #917 of 1887 Old 02-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:

No willie they are $19.99 per pair.

Ehhh, oh well. Kind of annoying to pay for tv and then you have to shell out basically another $50 for a pair of 3d glasses.

I'm not in a rush anyways. I'm happy with the 750's 2D viewing.

thanks Steve.
post #918 of 1887 Old 02-07-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidream View Post

Been meaning to post my settings for a while, so here they are to get things back on track.

These are HDMI 1 settings, for a PS3 used for bluray and HD playback.

These setting focus on the deepest blacks, and WITH them I have very very little backlight bleeding.

Scene Select - Cinema
Picture Mode - Cinema 2
Backlight - Min
Brightness - 55
Color - 50
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 2
Sharpness - 40
Noise Reduction - Off
MPEG Noise Reduction - Off
Dot Noise Reduction - Off
Motionflow - Clear
CineMotion - Auto 2
Advance Settings - Below
Black Corrector - Low
Adv. Contract Enhancer - Low
Gamme - 0
Auto Light Limiter - Off
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Off
White Balance - Below
R-Gain - 0
G-Gain - 0
B-Gain - minus 1
R-Bias - 0
G-Bias - 0
B-Bias - 0
Detail Enhancer - Off
Edge Enhancer - Off
Skin Naturalizer - Off and grayed out
i/p Conversion Preference - Quality and grayed out
Home - Settings - Picture & Display - Below
Screen - Below
Wide Mode - Full
Auto Wide - Off
4:3 Default - Off and grayed out
Auto Display Area - Off
Display Area - Full Pixel
Screen Position - grayed out
Vertical Size - 0 and grayed out
Pro Picture Setup - Below
Color Matrix - Below
HDMI 1 - Custom
480i - ITU601
480p - ITU601
1080i - ITU709
720p - ITU709
1080p - ITU709
HDMI Dynamic Range - Below
HDMI 1 - Limited

Lucid,
I see you have Sharpness at 40. Do you have a a different sharpness level if you're watching sports?
post #919 of 1887 Old 02-07-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ehhh, oh well. Kind of annoying to pay for tv and then you have to shell out basically another $50 for a pair of 3d glasses.

I'm not in a rush anyways. I'm happy with the 750's 2D viewing.

thanks Steve.

you're welcome Willie.
post #920 of 1887 Old 02-07-2013, 03:50 PM

Liked: 11
I received my 55hx750 last week. Here is my mini-review after a few days of watching - My wife and I are very pleased so far with the viewing. Great picture and we have it just set on standard. After reading all the comments on flashlighting, we have looked at all corners quite often and can't see any. We even turned all of the lights in the room off and don't see any. We haven't watched the credits at the end of a movie yet but will take a look maybe this weekend. I kind of wish I hadn't read all of the posts because now I'm looking for it and if I didn't know anything about it, it probably wouldn't have bothered me. The semi-matte shows a little more glare than our older full matte Sony but not enough that it's a problem. I think the less matte means a sharper picture so semi-matte seams a good compromise. The circle of buttons in the middle of the remote really bothers us. We keep hitting the outer buttons instead of the inner buttons. The main negative I have on this tv is the sound. To my ears it sounds terrible. Very shallow, tinny sound. Our older Sony 46" front facing speakers were okay to listen too but we couldn't stand the sound of the new Sony. It's probably due to the thinness of the tv so speakers are thin and down facing. We even made sound adjustments multiple times. Finally we bought a ZVOX 555 pedestal sound bar for $400. There is a Wow factor to this soundbar and it was worth the price. Look it up online if you're dissastified with your Sony sound and read the reviews. I fully agree with all of the positive reviews. Back to the tv - Has anyone tried the calibration settings provided by lcdtvbuying guide? So far we are very glad we bought this tv. Big improvement over our older 46" Sony. Superbowl was great to watch. I'll provide updates after watching a few movies and making calibriation adjustments.
post #921 of 1887 Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverotties View Post

I received my 55hx750 last week. Here is my mini-review after a few days of watching - My wife and I are very pleased so far with the viewing. Great picture and we have it just set on standard. After reading all the comments on flashlighting, we have looked at all corners quite often and can't see any. We even turned all of the lights in the room off and don't see any. We haven't watched the credits at the end of a movie yet but will take a look maybe this weekend. I kind of wish I hadn't read all of the posts because now I'm looking for it and if I didn't know anything about it, it probably wouldn't have bothered me. The semi-matte shows a little more glare than our older full matte Sony but not enough that it's a problem. I think the less matte means a sharper picture so semi-matte seams a good compromise. The circle of buttons in the middle of the remote really bothers us. We keep hitting the outer buttons instead of the inner buttons. The main negative I have on this tv is the sound. To my ears it sounds terrible. Very shallow, tinny sound. Our older Sony 46" front facing speakers were okay to listen too but we couldn't stand the sound of the new Sony. It's probably due to the thinness of the tv so speakers are thin and down facing. We even made sound adjustments multiple times. Finally we bought a ZVOX 555 pedestal sound bar for $400. There is a Wow factor to this soundbar and it was worth the price. Look it up online if you're dissastified with your Sony sound and read the reviews. I fully agree with all of the positive reviews. Back to the tv - Has anyone tried the calibration settings provided by lcdtvbuying guide? So far we are very glad we bought this tv. Big improvement over our older 46" Sony. Superbowl was great to watch. I'll provide updates after watching a few movies and making calibriation adjustments.

The lcdtvbuying guides setting's are what I use. And as of right now I am using my tv's speakers and I will agree they aint the best but until I land either another sound bar or get an AVR they will have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerlq View Post

Within Settings I set Scene Select to Auto (24p sync) and Picture Adjustments, Picture Mode to Vivid. All I can say is "WOW"! The picture literally pops off the screen. Our TV signal comes through a Directv HD HR24 and Directv Am21n OTA receiver.6.gif

When your useing Vivid the pic should pop! I never use that setting but if you like it then thats all that matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by connerlq View Post

Well, it looks to me that either the Sony product specialist was incorrect about the 750 or the Sony websites are wrong- not the first time but I wouldn't be shocked if you're right!6.gif

Ok now here I am lost. What was the Sony specialist incorrect about? Or the Sony website is wrong? And "not the first time but I wouldnt be shocked if youre right!" Who are you responding to? So I aint being a smart a** but I am interested as to what this post is all about?
post #922 of 1887 Old 02-08-2013, 11:15 PM

What's up guys. Long time troller of the avs forums, and first time poster on this thread. Just got my 46HX750 for my bedroom. I am also the owner of a 55HX929 in my living room. I have read every page of this thread, and want to thank you guys. It really helped me when it came to my setup for picture settings. I will have to say, it is hard for me to compare how good this set is, when I am basing the results off of my 929. I will have to say that that set is amazing. The blacks are out of this world. A couple of observations though, one of them is that this set is really good. To get the blacks where they need to be, you do have to use the black level enhancer and the Dynamic contrast though as stated in many of the posts. I kind of used a little bit of settings from here and there and am really satisfied with my outcome. One other thing that I noticed was the argument about the Gorilla glass vs. the matte screen, and the fact that I own a TV with both, the Gorilla glass does have some glare but enhances the picture substantially. Same with the X-reality Pro engine. Again I'm not dogging the HX750, but there is a reason that those things are added in the more expensive sets. So I can see why the HX850's picture could be a little better. Either way, just wanted to say what's up, and if anyone wants to try my settings, I will post them. Thanks again guys.
post #923 of 1887 Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 AM

Hello Mlapd, Yes, can you post your settings? Hopefully this weekend I will have time to try different calibrations from this sight, amazon and lcdtv buying guide and pick the one that works best for our room. My tv is only a week old and we really like it in both size 55" and picture quality. We haven't made any adjustments to settings yet and it looks a lot better than our older 5 year old 46" Sony. One of the reasons that I bought it now is that I was worried that it would be the last matte screen upscale tv that Sony would make. I have a family room with lots of windows and lights and cannot handle gloss screens. I saw the gorilla glass models in the store and they have way too much gloss for my room. On a side by side comparison the 950 (929) had the best picture but highest price and gorilla glass. The 850 had the next best picture, next highest price and gorilla glass. The 750 had the next best picture, best price and semi-matte screen. Obviously you get what you pay for. For me, the 950 was out of my price range. I'm glad I chose the 750 over the 850 because of the matte screen and picture quality was close enough to the 850 for my liking. I will say the ZVOX 555 soundbar that we added has made this setup a complete home run. We will be watching a lot more movies at home now that we have a great tv and great sound. This may sound hard to believe for some of the posters but I have zero flashlighting. We watched a movie last night and waited for the credits like some had said and our corners are black. I went upstairs where we have our older Sony 46 tv and saw that it does have flashlighting in two of the corners. We have watched that tv for years and never noticed it. It still isn't going to matter to us anyway when we watch it. Here is an amusing comment - my 4 sons wanted to buy the $20 3d glasses with there own money to try out the 3d tv. We already have a 3d blu ray player. So I was going to order 6 glasses including ones for my wife and I. Right before I did, I checked Redbox where we rent all of our movies and they do not carry 3d movies. After a few phone calls I found that there isn't much of a market for 3d movies so if you want to watch them you have to buy them. That's not going to happen in my house. We didn't buy the tv for 3d but it is amusing that for all of the 3d tvs out there on the market, there really isn't a strong demand for 3d rentals.
post #924 of 1887 Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlapd View Post

What's up guys. Long time troller of the avs forums, and first time poster on this thread. Just got my 46HX750 for my bedroom. I am also the owner of a 55HX929 in my living room. I have read every page of this thread, and want to thank you guys. It really helped me when it came to my setup for picture settings. I will have to say, it is hard for me to compare how good this set is, when I am basing the results off of my 929. I will have to say that that set is amazing. The blacks are out of this world. A couple of observations though, one of them is that this set is really good. To get the blacks where they need to be, you do have to use the black level enhancer and the Dynamic contrast though as stated in many of the posts. I kind of used a little bit of settings from here and there and am really satisfied with my outcome. One other thing that I noticed was the argument about the Gorilla glass vs. the matte screen, and the fact that I own a TV with both, the Gorilla glass does have some glare but enhances the picture substantially. Same with the X-reality Pro engine. Again I'm not dogging the HX750, but there is a reason that those things are added in the more expensive sets. So I can see why the HX850's picture could be a little better. Either way, just wanted to say what's up, and if anyone wants to try my settings, I will post them. Thanks again guys.

Mlapd please do post your settings. I would be interested in trying them out. smile.gif

Quote:

Hello Mlapd, Yes, can you post your settings? Hopefully this weekend I will have time to try different calibrations from this sight, amazon and lcdtv buying guide and pick the one that works best for our room. My tv is only a week old and we really like it in both size 55" and picture quality. We haven't made any adjustments to settings yet and it looks a lot better than our older 5 year old 46" Sony. One of the reasons that I bought it now is that I was worried that it would be the last matte screen upscale tv that Sony would make. I have a family room with lots of windows and lights and cannot handle gloss screens. I saw the gorilla glass models in the store and they have way too much gloss for my room. On a side by side comparison the 950 (929) had the best picture but highest price and gorilla glass. The 850 had the next best picture, next highest price and gorilla glass. The 750 had the next best picture, best price and semi-matte screen. Obviously you get what you pay for. For me, the 950 was out of my price range. I'm glad I chose the 750 over the 850 because of the matte screen and picture quality was close enough to the 850 for my liking. I will say the ZVOX 555 soundbar that we added has made this setup a complete home run. We will be watching a lot more movies at home now that we have a great tv and great sound. This may sound hard to believe for some of the posters but I have zero flashlighting. We watched a movie last night and waited for the credits like some had said and our corners are black. I went upstairs where we have our older Sony 46 tv and saw that it does have flashlighting in two of the corners. We have watched that tv for years and never noticed it. It still isn't going to matter to us anyway when we watch it. Here is an amusing comment - my 4 sons wanted to buy the $20 3d glasses with there own money to try out the 3d tv. We already have a 3d blu ray player. So I was going to order 6 glasses including ones for my wife and I. Right before I did, I checked Redbox where we rent all of our movies and they do not carry 3d movies. After a few phone calls I found that there isn't much of a market for 3d movies so if you want to watch them you have to buy them. That's not going to happen in my house. We didn't buy the tv for 3d but it is amusing that for all of the 3d tvs out there on the market, there really isn't a strong demand for 3d rentals.

loverotties I am interested in trying out the ZVOX 555 and after reading your glowing reports plus what I have read on the net I may go that route. As far as 3D goes? It is to bad there aint more good 3D movies out there but according to reports that may change this year.
post #925 of 1887 Old 02-09-2013, 06:55 AM

Hi Steve, If you decide to go the ZVOX 555 route, let me give you some important advice in relationship to the Sony 750. When I first hooked it up we were thrilled with the great sound. Later, we were watching the news and the sound of the newsbroadcaster was going in and out. Then when a commercial came, the sound blasted which is not supposed to happen since we had the "output levelizing" on. When we switched to the History Channel we were back to great sound. I called ZVOX up and those guys are incredibly helpfull and patient. Here is the problem - ZVOX includes in the box a set of RCA cables with red and white plugs. The 750 has no output in the back to handle RCA cable. The 750 only has 2 audio outputs, a digital optical output and a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug. I bought a digital optical cord and attached it to the tv and zvox. Everything was great. Then lousy with news. ZVOX said the problem is the digital optical cable allows the XVOX 555 to handle dolby digital. Most of tv content and all of movies are dolby digital and everything is fine. Problem is live broadcasts like news and sports are not transferred to cable box in dolby digital so the digital optical cable doesn't work right. There are two solutions to this. One - either at tv or at cable box change sound settings from dolby digital to PCM stereo and problem is fixed. Except you lose dolby digital for good just to get live broadcasts right. Second solution is to buy another cable called an RCA to 3.5mm mini-plug cable. One side of the wire has the red and white cables the other side of the wire has a 3.5mm mini-plug which plugs into the side of the 750 right above the HDMI input. So now you have two sets of wires coming out of tv and into ZVOX. One is the digital optical cable and the other is the rca - mini-plug cable. All you have to do now is use the remote to switch the input on the ZVOX between the two cables. This is very easy to do. Most of the time you will be using the digital optical cable and news and sports you will have pcm stereo with the rca - mini-plug cable. The cable is inexpensive at $7.00. It is not ZVOX's fault or Sony's fault. It is the signal being received into the house. The problem may just be with my cable provider because I haven't read any complaints on amazon reviews on it. ZVOX is sending me the wire and I haven't received it yet. The good news with ZVOX is you have a free 30 day trial to return it with no questions asked. If anyone does buy the ZVOX 555 here are my settings: Dialog Emphasis off, Output Leveling on, Surround Sound at 3, treble at 2 and base at 3. I have purchased 2 Sony soundbars and returned them the next day because they just made everything louder - not better. I also used to have a stereo surrond sound system with Bose speakers and sub-woofer. The rumbling floor shaking bass gets old fast and after a few months we sold to a relative in his teens who liked it. I can guarantee you there is plenty of bass in the ZVOX 555 without a sub-woofer on the floor. I rambled a bit here but I can't say enough about the ZVOX 555 and wish I would have purchased years ago. My wife wants me to buy another one for our older Sony 46" upstairs since my wife and I sometimes watch different movies upstairs when my sons have their friends over in the family room. Looks like I rambled a bit here but just want to help out if I can.
post #926 of 1887 Old 02-09-2013, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Steve, If you decide to go the ZVOX 555 route, let me give you some important advice in relationship to the Sony 750. When I first hooked it up we were thrilled with the great sound. Later, we were watching the news and the sound of the newsbroadcaster was going in and out. Then when a commercial came, the sound blasted which is not supposed to happen since we had the "output levelizing" on. When we switched to the History Channel we were back to great sound. I called ZVOX up and those guys are incredibly helpfull and patient. Here is the problem - ZVOX includes in the box a set of RCA cables with red and white plugs. The 750 has no output in the back to handle RCA cable. The 750 only has 2 audio outputs, a digital optical output and a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug. I bought a digital optical cord and attached it to the tv and zvox. Everything was great. Then lousy with news. ZVOX said the problem is the digital optical cable allows the XVOX 555 to handle dolby digital. Most of tv content and all of movies are dolby digital and everything is fine. Problem is live broadcasts like news and sports are not transferred to cable box in dolby digital so the digital optical cable doesn't work right. There are two solutions to this. One - either at tv or at cable box change sound settings from dolby digital to PCM stereo and problem is fixed. Except you lose dolby digital for good just to get live broadcasts right. Second solution is to buy another cable called an RCA to 3.5mm mini-plug cable. One side of the wire has the red and white cables the other side of the wire has a 3.5mm mini-plug which plugs into the side of the 750 right above the HDMI input. So now you have two sets of wires coming out of tv and into ZVOX. One is the digital optical cable and the other is the rca - mini-plug cable. All you have to do now is use the remote to switch the input on the ZVOX between the two cables. This is very easy to do. Most of the time you will be using the digital optical cable and news and sports you will have pcm stereo with the rca - mini-plug cable. The cable is inexpensive at $7.00. It is not ZVOX's fault or Sony's fault. It is the signal being received into the house. The problem may just be with my cable provider because I haven't read any complaints on amazon reviews on it. ZVOX is sending me the wire and I haven't received it yet. The good news with ZVOX is you have a free 30 day trial to return it with no questions asked. If anyone does buy the ZVOX 555 here are my settings: Dialog Emphasis off, Output Leveling on, Surround Sound at 3, treble at 2 and base at 3. I have purchased 2 Sony soundbars and returned them the next day because they just made everything louder - not better. I also used to have a stereo surrond sound system with Bose speakers and sub-woofer. The rumbling floor shaking bass gets old fast and after a few months we sold to a relative in his teens who liked it. I can guarantee you there is plenty of bass in the ZVOX 555 without a sub-woofer on the floor. I rambled a bit here but I can't say enough about the ZVOX 555 and wish I would have purchased years ago. My wife wants me to buy another one for our older Sony 46" upstairs since my wife and I sometimes watch different movies upstairs when my sons have their friends over in the family room. Looks like I rambled a bit here but just want to help out if I can.

Thanks for the info. If the wife and I get one I will let you know how it works. Thanks again. smile.gif
post #927 of 1887 Old 02-10-2013, 09:49 AM

I just set the calibration adjustments to what was on LCDTV Buying Guide. Does turning down the sharpness to +10 make sense. Seems like it should be higher. Did anyone make other adjustments to LCDTV Buying Guide that they thought helped?

Also, I'm about to watch a basketball game so I switched picure mode from custom to sports. Now when I go back to switch to Custom, I don't see it anymore. What am I doing wrong?

Also, Willie in a post above gave settings like Edge Enhancer or Skin Naturalizer. I didn't find those settings. Where do I go to see these? Thanks
post #928 of 1887 Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just set the calibration adjustments to what was on LCDTV Buying Guide. Does turning down the sharpness to +10 make sense. Seems like it should be higher. Did anyone make other adjustments to LCDTV Buying Guide that they thought helped?

Also, I'm about to watch a basketball game so I switched picure mode from custom to sports. Now when I go back to switch to Custom, I don't see it anymore. What am I doing wrong?

Also, Willie in a post above gave settings like Edge Enhancer or Skin Naturalizer. I didn't find those settings. Where do I go to see these? Thanks

The only adjustments I made were to pic mode which I dropped to 90. I set sharpness to 40, black corrector to medium, ACE to low and detail enhancer to low. Otherwise everything is what Lcdbuyingguide recommends. I also leave my setting on custom and never change it.
post #929 of 1887 Old 02-10-2013, 12:33 PM

Steve, I had to go back to Scene Select and change from Sports to General to be able to get back to Custom. Is that what you have? There were other options like Auto and Cinema.
post #930 of 1887 Old 02-10-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Steve, I had to go back to Scene Select and change from Sports to General to be able to get back to Custom. Is that what you have? There were other options like Auto and Cinema.

Yep that's all I use is custom. Its what was recommended by Lcdbuying Guide and Home Theater Magazines Tom Norton. In Tom Norton I trust.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Sony by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page