Official Sony KDL-46HX750 & KDL-55HX750 Owners Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Any suggestions on "kids size" 3d glasses for this TV? The Sony TDGBR250/B I got for free are too big for my 4 year old's head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Venture View Post

Any suggestions on "kids size" 3d glasses for this TV? The Sony TDGBR250/B I got for free are too big for my 4 year old's head.

I've heard differing opinions, but as a Dad of two young ones, I am not going to let them view active 3D until they are much older. Just not enough data on whether it can stunt eye development or not. Passive is not an issue according to my eye doctor for young children.
post #1173 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 01:27 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Is it all sources? "cable tv" only? or bluray too?

It's cable TV, and it's my XBox. This loss of pq affects games and when I'm viewing things on Netflix.
post #1174 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Liked: 15
And thanks Mark.
post #1175 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 01:46 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:

Not to be Internet parent guy here, but I believe the recommended age to view 3D content is 6 and older.
post #1176 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Not to be Internet parent guy here, but I believe the recommended age to view 3D content is 6 and older.

+1000
post #1177 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcruise7771 View Post

jtown :absolutely , yes that post sums up all the settings mentioned in my previous posts + adds some more info .
Thought i will add more info for the pulse modulation once i set up my photo oscioscope . But that will be imporant in regard to Backlight and the motionflow .

I just tried out your settings tonight, and my wife and I were amazed at how our FiOS signal looks now. The image truly "pops" now. Can't wait to try some Blu Rays this weekend!

Thanks tcruise7771!

As an aside, running the tv in this Demo mode won't have any effect on longevity of the tv will it?
tcruise7771 likes this.
post #1178 of 1887 Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM

Liked: 10
well my awhile ago i posted that my 55" hx 750 was making noises even when not on from the case any change in heat temp to my room would affect it and it would clunk and tick and was even worse when on. smile.gif after being serviced and new screen added it still did it, so i whinged on fb and sony customer relations contacted me, i got the bravia replaced with a new one from the store i got it from they got in touch with em for me smile.gif so now i got my 2nd one and this is working great smile.gif so happy with customer relations team smile.gif

now i can actually enjoy watching tv again smile.gif the only thing i hate is it seems to wanna keep connecting every 6 or so hours and check for a update even in standby tick sound lol even though its set for 3am smile.gif i disabled auto update and it has stopped doing it, really wish u could just set it to once a week or it only checked at the time u set like it should.

im using the 1.700 update file atm
post #1179 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Really? Hmm. I missed that. Is it stated in the manual some place? Not that I doubt you, just curious.
post #1180 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really? Hmm. I missed that. Is it stated in the manual some place? Not that I doubt you, just curious.

There are differing opinions. Many manufacturers like Nintendo and Samsung have warnings saying children under 6 should not view 3D as it may stunt eye development. I've read some pediatric ophthalmologists say its fine and others say it's not. There is no concrete data to say one way or another. However, as a father since there are such differing opinions, I am choosing to err on the side of caution.
post #1181 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 09:15 AM

Was going for the HX750 but would have preferred the HX850 but that was beyond the budget. Now I think it may be worth waiting for the W802. Saw the W900 on the Sony site the other day. They were taking orders at $2,999. It's not there today. I'm assuming that's the retail and it is lower than the 950 was. Just hoping the 802 will come in under the 750 MSRP. I'm guessing Memorial day would be about the time when the price on the 2013 models come down a bit. Does that sound about right ?
post #1182 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM

UGH.

Well, I thought I was happy and the TV was looking good, but... Last night, I watched Iron Man bluray. The black borders were somewhat gray and distracting. Dark grays, shadows, blacks, and darker colors in the scenes looked horrible and pretty much blended together into a non-distinct blob?. Today while working from home, I caught my mom watching The View on ABC HD, and the colors looked ok, the over all look was horrible, the ladies looked like blobs, and there was no detail in the faces. Later she had the Young and the Restless on (CBS HD), and other than drab color, it looked pretty good (sharp, clear, defined).

(the cable box is connected to HDMI-2, and the Bluray is hooked to HDMI-1, and both are setup the same as far as TV settings go)

My past TV's, I set them and forgot the settings... Why does the picture quality on this set seem so inconsistent, or to vary so much?
post #1183 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

There are differing opinions. Many manufacturers like Nintendo and Samsung have warnings saying children under 6 should not view 3D as it may stunt eye development. I've read some pediatric ophthalmologists say its fine and others say it's not. There is no concrete data to say one way or another. However, as a father since there are such differing opinions, I am choosing to err on the side of caution.
Thank you, I hadn't seen that information. Googling it, I did find conflicting reports.

I agree, to err on the side of caution is the best approach.
post #1184 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:

UGH.

Well, I thought I was happy and the TV was looking good, but... Last night, I watched Iron Man bluray. The black borders were somewhat gray and distracting. Dark grays, shadows, blacks, and darker colors in the scenes looked horrible and pretty much blended together into a non-distinct blob?. Today while working from home, I caught my mom watching The View on ABC HD, and the colors looked ok, the over all look was horrible, the ladies looked like blobs, and there was no detail in the faces. Later she had the Young and the Restless on (CBS HD), and other than drab color, it looked pretty good (sharp, clear, defined).

(the cable box is connected to HDMI-2, and the Bluray is hooked to HDMI-1, and both are setup the same as far as TV settings go)

My past TV's, I set them and forgot the settings... Why does the picture quality on this set seem so inconsistent, or to vary so much?

It has been documented by a few folks in here about these same concerns, that being "Why does the picture quality on this set seem so inconsistent, or to vary so much?" In my personal experience and in comparison to my nearly flawless 2007 Bravia LCD, I have found the HX750 to be very underwhelming. I think I was also going in with expectations to be blown away, and between all the vertical banding issues, lack of deep blacks, shadowing, replacement sets and now random reboots every day, my experience has not been pleasant too often of the time smile.gif
post #1185 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 01:04 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuf View Post

I just tried out your settings tonight, and my wife and I were amazed at how our FiOS signal looks now. The image truly "pops" now. Can't wait to try some Blu Rays this weekend!

Thanks tcruise7771!

As an aside, running the tv in this Demo mode won't have any effect on longevity of the tv will it?

No , it will not affect the longevity of the TV ,at least not drasticly . LED has a life of ~ 50 000 hours which if u have the tv 10 hours a day on would mean 10h* 365d * 15 years . Sony uses quality analog current to control the backlight for the HX750 so even at full backlight setting 10max it will not reduce the life of the backlight by more than 10-15 % time . And even 10-12 years for a tv is more than enough.Also 10 backlight is too much . Between 4 and 8 would be the best choise .
Home mode is there only to save energy consumption cos of EU and energy star directive .

One advice thought , in shop mode good choise for backlight is 8 for day room and 4-6 for dark night room.
Also one advice , recalibrated with disney wow disk and for Brightness it seems that 46-48 will give much better quality than 50

The only downside for shop/retail mode is the power use on your electricity bill but it will not be more than 5euro difference for 1 month even if u leave the tv 24/7 .
post #1186 of 1887 Old 03-06-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Gator with all the issues youve been having you should call up Sony and ask for a replacement. I know your getting tired of getting a tv then replaceing it but if I were you I wouldnt sit there and do nothing. The longer you wait the more of a chance Sony will do nothing at all. I know if it were me I would be all over Sony about it. Just sayin.

Yeah...... its such a hassle yet I'm also being lazy about it haha

It WILL be replaced, its just a matter of when. I think can tough it out long enough to where they dont have any more 750s available though; I'm ready to try a different model and I think they'd offer me one as we get closer to Summer. I definitely don't want to get caught in that "in between" time of no 750s and no chance of a w802 or R series replacement and they instead send someone out to replace some $10 part that ultimately ends up doing nothing! I think I will call in May or June, I'd imagine that's long enough to where the W and R series have started asserting themselves among the replacement crowd.
post #1187 of 1887 Old 03-08-2013, 12:58 AM

Guys as promised more info for Pulse Width Modulation . For my tests i needed a photodiode , 1kOhm resistor , supply , shelded audio cable & 3.5 mm audio jack ,composition board and after some calculations i made my own Photo oscilloscope that can detect light flicker frequency from 0- 44000 Hz when connected to a computer 3.5 mm microphone audio in ( If someone wants more info for the circuitboard , photodiode and know-how to make your own photo oscilloscope , send me a message ) ( turned out the sound card of my new lenovo made tons of noise and was not usable , but for my luck the old Sony Vaio sound card was perfect , with minimal static noise ) .
In my previous posts i shown a video with high speed shutter camera and images for what PULSE Width modulation is and why is it bad . Again basicly manifactures either control the Backlight with an expensive analog current control , or with cheap pulse width modulation ( PWM ) . When PWM is used , if you lower the backlight you will be increasing a period of which the backlight will be turned OFF and reducing the period of the backlight is on . Which will create an invisible flicker ( you should have seen the luminiscent lamps from the old times , they still use them thought ) . Since after you turn the current on an LED it is instantly turned off ( it stops emmiting light instand ) , PWM on the same frequency for LED display is worse for your eyes and health then the same frequency PWM for CCFL because when you stop the supply to CCFL it continues to emmit light for some small time .

NOTE i made them with the composition board so i can test , before i solder them on a circuit board . I should also add that since i am an IT guy and i am studying IT in the collage i mannaged to have a course assigment on PWM and Light luminosity using the same photodiode , PIC controller , programmator , some code in assembly and LCD display , so i will be making my own pocket device that will be able to calculate and display the frequency and the light luminosity in LUX , thought it will not provide Sine Wave like the examples to judge the form of the wave .

Here are the test results . I will be providing better ones . I am using for comparison Sony VAIO notebook (i think CCFL ), Samsung LED 40EH5300 and my beloved SONY LED 55HX570 .
I will provide time stamp for the start of the wave t1 and the end of the wave t2 . Also i will provide informationf for how long is the backlight Off and On .
I will start with the Sony Vaio :

Backlight set to Minimum
t1 start 0,002494
t2 end 0,007506

T=t2-t1= 0,005012
Frequency = 1sec/T= 199.52 hz =~ 200 Hz .
The Backlight is off for : 0,00093seconds which is 1075 Hz and it is on for 0,004082 seconds which is 244,977952 Hz ( note i shouldnt give the ON and OFF in Hz , because it is a time the light is on or off , its a length of a time not a period frequency )

Sony Vaio at 50 % backlight

The frequency is the same 200 Hz , roughly the period for the light ON is equal to the Period of the OFF light cycle

Sony Vaio at Max backlight

PWM is absent at full backlight . Light is always ON ( which is good for your eyes ) , bacause of that there is no syne wave and no abuse to your eyes . For that notebook backlight should be set to max to avoid eye strain from the PWM flicker

Samsung 40EH5300

Backlight at Minimum

t1=0,002222
t2=0,009728
T=t1-t2=0,007506

Frequency= 1/T=133 Hz !!! That is seriously low for an LED , the Sony VAIO gave 200 Hz but it uses CCFL which means the on and off cycle is not so hard so it will be better than a 200 Hz LED , and samsung doesnt even uses 200 Hz but 133 Hz .... an LED LCD should have at least 400 Hz backlight or like proffesional displays have 3000-4000 ( 3kHz-4kHz ) frequency .

Off time is 0,007166 sec and 139,5478649 Hz and On time of the backlight is 0,00034 sec and 2941,176471Hz

Samsung 40EH5300

Backlight at 50 %( setting 10 out of 20 )
The frequency is the same 133 Hz . Only change is for the On and Off Duration
Off time is 0,003991sec and on time is 0,003514 . I guess 10 out of 20 isnt the 50 % . I think 11 out of 20 would be 50 % . Anyway watching the backlight at 50 % Would reduce the flicker compared to the Min backlight setting , but ofcourse the flicker will be mostly reduced with backlight at MAX .

Samsung 40EH5300

Backlight at MAX
PWB is NOT absent ( at the Vaio notebook it was absent on max backlight ) , even at 20/20 backlight on the samsung there a off cycle .

Syne wave frequency is the same 133 Hz .

Backlight is OFF for 0,000794 seconds 1259,445844 Hz and ON for 0,006734 seconds 148,5001485 Hz . I do not understand why Samsung would have OFF cycle at full backlight . May be it is because they are running the LED at its maximum voltage to achieve constant color temperature and they have the off cycle as some kind of protection . I tried switching the color of the tv to neutral , cold , warm and so on it did not affect that Off cycle . turning on the Motionflow equivalent ( samsung calls if different ) makes the backlight at max look like its on 50 % so it makes it only worse . I tried everysetting and still couldnt have that off cycle removed .
EH5300 owners i would advice you to watch ur tv always at MAXIMUM backlight ( NOTE MAX backlight on the samsung is way way darker than even half of the brightness at the SONY HX750 , i guess Samsung knows that if they make a too bright display customers will turn the backlight to a more lower setting which will cause smaller on cycle and longer off cycle = more eye strain ) . Weirdly almost all presets of Samsung come at backlight set at 14/20 which is worse ( flicker wise ) to 20/20 . So i guess manifacturer advice here SUX and is not aimed for customers health .

Samsung 46B7000 - The TV is an EXPENSIVE LED from 2009 and still has a PWM and flicker but will test and update the post later , when i get access to the tv . So i guess Samsung does not care for consumers eyes health and headaces

NOW THE BELOVED SONY 55HX750 .

NO PWM , at Minimum or Maximum or 50 % or any backlight setting Pulse Width Modulation is ABSENT , MEANING - NO FLICKER = NO EYE STRAIN = NO HEADACES .
They use Analog control of the backlight . I have tried amplifying the signal , switching to other resistors in the circuit board of the " photodiode oscilloscope " . Anyway the only thing i was able to observe is some kind of Synchronization at 60 Hz , basicly because the display is in 1080p@60hz . Checked it with the camera with high speed shutter - the backlight doesnt turns off but there is like a small less whiter line that runs from the panel horizontally i guess it is some kind of synchronization . This will not cause any eye strain as there is no flicker .

The image below has the signal amplified and basicly i have the photodiode stuck like 1" off the TV while my previous examples had the photodiode at like 2 feet . I have done that so that synchronization will be seen. It is always seen and it does not change duration by changing backlight from min , 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10(max ) . It is not something that should worry you , at least to my opinion . As that line is not the backlight being Off . Since Sony uses analog control of the LED which may be done by adding a ballast , this may be the ballast cycle , but even so that "line" ( about like 10-15 pixels height ) is barely distinguable with shutter of 1/3200 and video shot at 60hz it appears only at like a little off-whiter than the white ( its not even gray-ish ) ..

Anyway basicly you shouldnt worry for your eyes health , watching the HX750 , regarding to the backlight flicker as it is ABSENT , NONE in the HX750 .
Test is done in Shop/Retail Mode but i have also done test in Home mode ( the one that caps and limits the backlight ) . Home mode also is absent of flicker and PWM ( thought previously i said i am worried that home mode if PWM is used will be worse to your eyes health than Shop mode , here it is not the case - thought in cheeper SONY models if they USE PWM , home mode would be a terrible thing to choose ) .Also i advice using the shop(retail) mode because it removes the energy efficient capping forced by European Union and Energy star directive 642/2009
Here is that 60hz Amplified Synchronization .
Min Backlight Shop(retail) Mode

Max Backlight Shop(retail ) Mode

Min Backlight Home Mode

The higher amplitude raise in the Min Backlight compared to the Max backlight does not mean its bad , at least not something you should worry .It is because for minimum backlight the whole backlight is low , and that " synchronization " appears more contrasted also i may have put the photodiode closer than in max because of the low light emission . Again its not something to worry but anyway i advise setting of backlight to 6-8 for best picture qualty and contrast ( not cos of flicker , since flicker is absent )

There you go , if you like the information and apreciate my time spent , you can post some feedback smile.gif
gnuf likes this.
post #1188 of 1887 Old 03-08-2013, 10:30 AM

@tcruise7771

I have no idea what any of that means, but I really appreciate the effort, haha. IMO your video really said it all, and your picture settings have me absolutely loving my tv!

One thing I did notice was when I switched over to my XBOX360 and comparing the Common settings you had vs the Game settings, the whites seemed whiter and everything looked brighter with the Game mode while playing Call of Duty. Not sure if it's the Warm2 or what, but things did seem sharper.
post #1189 of 1887 Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:

Guys as promised more info for Pulse Width Modulation . For my tests i needed a photodiode , 1kOhm resistor , supply , shelded audio cable & 3.5 mm audio jack ,composition board and after some calculations i made my own Photo oscilloscope that can detect light flicker frequency from 0- 44000 Hz when connected to a computer 3.5 mm microphone audio in ( If someone wants more info for the circuitboard , photodiode and know-how to make your own photo oscilloscope , send me a message ) ( turned out the sound card of my new lenovo made tons of noise and was not usable , but for my luck the old Sony Vaio sound card was perfect , with minimal static noise ) .
In my previous posts i shown a video with high speed shutter camera and images for what PULSE Width modulation is and why is it bad . Again basicly manifactures either control the Backlight with an expensive analog current control , or with cheap pulse width modulation ( PWM ) . When PWM is used , if you lower the backlight you will be increasing a period of which the backlight will be turned OFF and reducing the period of the backlight is on . Which will create an invisible flicker ( you should have seen the luminiscent lamps from the old times , they still use them thought ) . Since after you turn the current on an LED it is instantly turned off ( it stops emmiting light instand ) , PWM on the same frequency for LED display is worse for your eyes and health then the same frequency PWM for CCFL because when you stop the supply to CCFL it continues to emmit light for some small time .

NOTE i made them with the composition board so i can test , before i solder them on a circuit board . I should also add that since i am an IT guy and i am studying IT in the collage i mannaged to have a course assigment on PWM and Light luminosity using the same photodiode , PIC controller , programmator , some code in assembly and LCD display , so i will be making my own pocket device that will be able to calculate and display the frequency and the light luminosity in LUX , thought it will not provide Sine Wave like the examples to judge the form of the wave .

Here are the test results . I will be providing better ones . I am using for comparison Sony VAIO notebook (i think CCFL ), Samsung LED 40EH5300 and my beloved SONY LED 55HX570 .
I will provide time stamp for the start of the wave t1 and the end of the wave t2 . Also i will provide informationf for how long is the backlight Off and On .
I will start with the Sony Vaio :

Backlight set to Minimum
t1 start 0,002494
t2 end 0,007506

T=t2-t1= 0,005012
Frequency = 1sec/T= 199.52 hz =~ 200 Hz .
The Backlight is off for : 0,00093seconds which is 1075 Hz and it is on for 0,004082 seconds which is 244,977952 Hz ( note i shouldnt give the ON and OFF in Hz , because it is a time the light is on or off , its a length of a time not a period frequency )

Sony Vaio at 50 % backlight

The frequency is the same 200 Hz , roughly the period for the light ON is equal to the Period of the OFF light cycle

Sony Vaio at Max backlight

PWM is absent at full backlight . Light is always ON ( which is good for your eyes ) , bacause of that there is no syne wave and no abuse to your eyes . For that notebook backlight should be set to max to avoid eye strain from the PWM flicker

Samsung 40EH5300

Backlight at Minimum

t1=0,002222
t2=0,009728
T=t1-t2=0,007506

Frequency= 1/T=133 Hz !!! That is seriously low for an LED , the Sony VAIO gave 200 Hz but it uses CCFL which means the on and off cycle is not so hard so it will be better than a 200 Hz LED , and samsung doesnt even uses 200 Hz but 133 Hz .... an LED LCD should have at least 400 Hz backlight or like proffesional displays have 3000-4000 ( 3kHz-4kHz ) frequency .

Off time is 0,007166 sec and 139,5478649 Hz and On time of the backlight is 0,00034 sec and 2941,176471Hz

Samsung 40EH5300

Backlight at 50 %( setting 10 out of 20 )
The frequency is the same 133 Hz . Only change is for the On and Off Duration
Off time is 0,003991sec and on time is 0,003514 . I guess 10 out of 20 isnt the 50 % . I think 11 out of 20 would be 50 % . Anyway watching the backlight at 50 % Would reduce the flicker compared to the Min backlight setting , but ofcourse the flicker will be mostly reduced with backlight at MAX .

Samsung 40EH5300

Backlight at MAX
PWB is NOT absent ( at the Vaio notebook it was absent on max backlight ) , even at 20/20 backlight on the samsung there a off cycle .

Syne wave frequency is the same 133 Hz .

Backlight is OFF for 0,000794 seconds 1259,445844 Hz and ON for 0,006734 seconds 148,5001485 Hz . I do not understand why Samsung would have OFF cycle at full backlight . May be it is because they are running the LED at its maximum voltage to achieve constant color temperature and they have the off cycle as some kind of protection . I tried switching the color of the tv to neutral , cold , warm and so on it did not affect that Off cycle . turning on the Motionflow equivalent ( samsung calls if different ) makes the backlight at max look like its on 50 % so it makes it only worse . I tried everysetting and still couldnt have that off cycle removed .
EH5300 owners i would advice you to watch ur tv always at MAXIMUM backlight ( NOTE MAX backlight on the samsung is way way darker than even half of the brightness at the SONY HX750 , i guess Samsung knows that if they make a too bright display customers will turn the backlight to a more lower setting which will cause smaller on cycle and longer off cycle = more eye strain ) . Weirdly almost all presets of Samsung come at backlight set at 14/20 which is worse ( flicker wise ) to 20/20 . So i guess manifacturer advice here SUX and is not aimed for customers health .

Samsung 46B7000 - The TV is an EXPENSIVE LED from 2009 and still has a PWM and flicker but will test and update the post later , when i get access to the tv . So i guess Samsung does not care for consumers eyes health and headaces

NOW THE BELOVED SONY 55HX750 .

NO PWM , at Minimum or Maximum or 50 % or any backlight setting Pulse Width Modulation is ABSENT , MEANING - NO FLICKER = NO EYE STRAIN = NO HEADACES .
They use Analog control of the backlight . I have tried amplifying the signal , switching to other resistors in the circuit board of the " photodiode oscilloscope " . Anyway the only thing i was able to observe is some kind of Synchronization at 60 Hz , basicly because the display is in 1080p@60hz . Checked it with the camera with high speed shutter - the backlight doesnt turns off but there is like a small less whiter line that runs from the panel horizontally i guess it is some kind of synchronization . This will not cause any eye strain as there is no flicker .

The image below has the signal amplified and basicly i have the photodiode stuck like 1" off the TV while my previous examples had the photodiode at like 2 feet . I have done that so that synchronization will be seen. It is always seen and it does not change duration by changing backlight from min , 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, 10(max ) . It is not something that should worry you , at least to my opinion . As that line is not the backlight being Off . Since Sony uses analog control of the LED which may be done by adding a ballast , this may be the ballast cycle , but even so that "line" ( about like 10-15 pixels height ) is barely distinguable with shutter of 1/3200 and video shot at 60hz it appears only at like a little off-whiter than the white ( its not even gray-ish ) ..

Anyway basicly you shouldnt worry for your eyes health , watching the HX750 , regarding to the backlight flicker as it is ABSENT , NONE in the HX750 .
Test is done in Shop/Retail Mode but i have also done test in Home mode ( the one that caps and limits the backlight ) . Home mode also is absent of flicker and PWM ( thought previously i said i am worried that home mode if PWM is used will be worse to your eyes health than Shop mode , here it is not the case - thought in cheeper SONY models if they USE PWM , home mode would be a terrible thing to choose ) .Also i advice using the shop(retail) mode because it removes the energy efficient capping forced by European Union and Energy star directive 642/2009
Here is that 60hz Amplified Synchronization .
Min Backlight Shop(retail) Mode

Max Backlight Shop(retail ) Mode

Min Backlight Home Mode

The higher amplitude raise in the Min Backlight compared to the Max backlight does not mean its bad , at least not something you should worry .It is because for minimum backlight the whole backlight is low , and that " synchronization " appears more contrasted also i may have put the photodiode closer than in max because of the low light emission . Again its not something to worry but anyway i advise setting of backlight to 6-8 for best picture qualty and contrast ( not cos of flicker , since flicker is absent )

There you go , if you like the information and apreciate my time spent , you can post some feedback smile.gif

would the 850 have no PMM as well like the 750?
post #1190 of 1887 Old 03-09-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:

@tcruise7771

I have no idea what any of that means, but I really appreciate the effort, haha. IMO your video really said it all, and your picture settings have me absolutely loving my tv!

One thing I did notice was when I switched over to my XBOX360 and comparing the Common settings you had vs the Game settings, the whites seemed whiter and everything looked brighter with the Game mode while playing Call of Duty. Not sure if it's the Warm2 or what, but things did seem sharper.

I advice you to use Graphics mode for every input , it will give you the right pixel timings . The only "down fall " is that it will turn off the MotionFlow ( and make it gray ) . When you are set to graphics mode - in picture options you will have Picture mode grayed out and showing Graphics ( that shows that the image processing is turned off and you are recieving perfect timing ) . When you switch to game or general you will be able to change the picture mode that is because the image processing is turned on which is resulting in qualty loss . I will not explain more about the other modes , but i do advice you to use Graphics mode especially for Xbox360 , PC monitor and blurays . If you looked my further post , there is one giving detailed info on every setting you would be interested .
post #1191 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 AM

Quote:
would the 850 have no PMM as well like the 750?

jtown017 i can not confirm for the HX 850 if it has or it it does not has a PWM because i do not own 850 so i can't test it , but i think it will be using the qualty analog backlight control that the 750HX has because it is more expensive and higher model than the HX750, so 99.99 % you do NOT have PWM and you shouldnt be worried about flicker .
I have tested an 2009 year model Samsung B7000 ( which was very expensive set at its time it was like 3000 $ retail value ) , i can confirm its backlight PWM control is absolutely identical to the 2012 EH5300 i shown example above - 133.17 Hz , the syne waves are absolutely the same . So may be it's that Sony cares more for your eyes than Samsung ....

I want to point out that those flicker will not blind you , its invisible , it will tire your eyes and in some rare cases some people get terrible migrenas - thought i used a 46" Samsung for over year and half as a PC monitor , working 10 hours a day in some cases and i have not experienced any serious problems thought sometimes my eyes were feeling tired dryish if i didnt had enought sleep .

Here are two videos of How the device looks and it connected to a Vaio notebook and showing the PWM first on Samsung EH5300 (133 Hz LED) and second on the Vaio itself ( 200 Hz-CCFL )
Also i checked a Lenovo Y570 for PWM and i was amazed that its frequency was 14 800 hz = 14.8 Khz which is very high and good . Pro monitors use over 3000-4000 hz and 14 800 hz is over 100 times faster than the 133 Hz Samsung PWM .

Note the version i use is the one thats on the circuit board using 3V CR2025 battery and with 3.5mm audio jack . The other one is one thats hooked to the multimeter, i built to show it can be done with 9V battery on a composition board . The 9V battery will give a better and clearer signal from a longer distance but if you flash it with a very very bright light like sunlight or a powerfull flashlight it might be risky for the microphone audio in of the computer , thought you can reduce that with different resistor or making the scheme a little more complicated so you can reduce the voltage using two resistors but 9V is too bulky . I am thinking of trying to go to the local shop and see if they will let me test some of their tvs . I should warn people not to experiment and try to attempt building it on their own , unless they know what they are doing .

Btw if anyone wants i can make a video with the HX750 lacking PWM thought i already given the screenshots .

Lenovo Y570 Backlight 50 % - 14 800 Hz = 14.8 Khz
post #1192 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 12:49 AM

Oh one thing i just thought of for the HX750 , it would be interesting to test the 3D glasses frequency , the speed that each LCD of the glasses Saturates and Desaturates . I have the TDG-BR250 glasses , but will wait till tonight so there wont be ambient sun light .
post #1193 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:

I advice you to use Graphics mode for every input , it will give you the right pixel timings . The only "down fall " is that it will turn off the MotionFlow ( and make it gray ) . When you are set to graphics mode - in picture options you will have Picture mode grayed out and showing Graphics ( that shows that the image processing is turned off and you are recieving perfect timing ) . When you switch to game or general you will be able to change the picture mode that is because the image processing is turned on which is resulting in qualty loss . I will not explain more about the other modes , but i do advice you to use Graphics mode especially for Xbox360 , PC monitor and blurays . If you looked my further post , there is one giving detailed info on every setting you would be interested .

I re-read your post and a typo is what confused me. You meant you strongly advise AGAINST Warm2 and I read it as advise to use Warm2 and so had been using that. Will set it to Neutral and report back!
post #1194 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:

I re-read your post and a typo is what confused me. You meant you strongly advise AGAINST Warm2 and I read it as advise to use Warm2 and so had been using that. Will set it to Neutral and report back!

Well to be clear . First you should have the Scene Selection set to GRAPHICS ( and not to General ) . Graphic scene selection is for perfect pixel timing as i showed example with the images in page 36 or 37 .
Having the Color temperature in Neutral while Graphics mode is selected results in warmer image than the scene selection set to General and neutral selected .

Basicly Scene selection set to Graphics and temperature set to Neutral , equals the color temperature of General and temperature Warm2 . I advice using Graphics scene selection and Neutral color temperature for that scene selection . BUT if you want to have the motion flow and you dont care for perfect 1:1 pixel mapping pixel timing and you had selected General then you have to select Warm 2 .

It is not a typo its just may be i am too technical and i havent explained well enough . I will provide compare of Neutral color temperature both in Graphics and General whithin couple of minutes . Also for Warm 2 with a nex 5r sony camera with manual white balance ( for all the pictures to have the same white balance within the camera settings )

Edit: Here are the promised images On the left Graphics Mode with Neutral color temp and on the right General Mode with Neutral color temperature . All settings from backlight , brightness and so on are the same - but there is a huge difference in color temperature .

Camera white balance is set to manual within the camera settings .
post #1195 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Re: Can't connect to network

Connecting 55 HX750 to home network using wired connection. Going thru a router, then a switch. Confirmed normal internet connection using laptop, but doesn't work reliably with TV. It did work last night once, then today no connection. Sometimes it sees the network info, under Network Connection>Status, but then if it gets to this point, takes 5 minutes to 'Refresh internet content' and then gives an error (2118, 2200, 5008 I think) and neither intenet nor media streaming works.

Anything else to try on the router? TV does show up in router config page, and TV assigned an IP. I also tried enabling DMZ, and UPnP...no difference. mad.gif
post #1196 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 37
Unplug router for 10 seconds and try again

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses". - Abraham Lincoln
post #1197 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Thanks. I just tried that now, and no luck. Also I contacted sony and the only ideas were factory reset, and firmware update. Tried reset, and I've updated to version 1.507. No change.
post #1198 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browninggold View Post

Thanks. I just tried that now, and no luck. Also I contacted sony and the only ideas were factory reset, and firmware update. Tried reset, and I've updated to version 1.507. No change.

Beckler have you tried the wireless route? Dont use a wired connection try wireless then see what happens.
post #1199 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:

Beckler have you tried the wireless route? Dont use a wired connection try wireless then see what happens.

I did get wireless working, once I extended the wireless network with another router. But I now need to use a wired connection.
post #1200 of 1887 Old 03-10-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

Quote:

I did get wireless working, once I extended the wireless network with another router. But I now need to use a wired connection.

Then I cant tell you what to do then Beckler because it seems you have tried everything else and it hasnt worked. It could be your router or the tv. I just dont know without looking at it myself. Wish I could help out more.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page