Official Sony KDL-46HX750 & KDL-55HX750 Owners Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1887 Old 03-31-2013, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have an update on my light bleeding problem: I fixed it almost completely by re-enabling the advanced contrast enhancer that I had turned off ! Your settings are truly great TCruise:)smile.gifsmile.gif!
Now I will keep Advanced Contrast enhancer and Black corrector to LOW as you suggested
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1887 Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

The stand for my tv looks like the one in the second photo.
You mean like mine ? And why dont you like it ?
post #1353 of 1887 Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post

I have an update on my light bleeding problem: I fixed it almost completely by re-enabling the advanced contrast enhancer that I had turned off ! Your settings are truly great TCruise:)smile.gifsmile.gif!
Now I will keep Advanced Contrast enhancer and Black corrector to LOW as you suggested

Very glad to hear i helped .
post #1354 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcruise7771 View Post

I have one question: what's the difference between Local Dimming (on the HX850) and Frame Dimming (on the HX750)? Is Local Dimming much better?
post #1355 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

The stand for my tv looks like the one in the second photo.
You mean like mine ? And why dont you like it ?

My tv has the swivel base and its not that I dont like it its just to plain for my taste thats why I wish it would have came with the chrome tube base which the EU 750 came with. But like I said my tv is mounted on the bracket that came with my entertainment center so I am happy with the way I have things set up now. All I am waiting for now is my new Pioneer AVR which should arrive by the end of the month. Cant wait because my tv's speakers are driving me nuts! lol

Quote:

Quote:

I have one question: what's the difference between Local Dimming (on the HX850) and Frame Dimming (on the HX750)? Is Local Dimming much better?

"Frame Dimming is made by Sony and is the equivalent of an edge-lit local dimming, but with even less zones. Instead of changing the light for a specific region of the screen, it is the whole frame of the screen that changes intensity. You can see it as a very basic version of local dimming. It is better than no dimming at all for dark scene, but it is nowhere near real local dimming". Thats frame dimming.

Local Dimming: "Local dimming refers to the technology that changes the uniformity of the backlight in a LED screen. The television can change the luminosity of parts of the screen to better reflect the scene and create deeper blacks where necessary. It improves the weak black level of a LED TV, compared to the perfect blacks of a plasma".

Hope this helps a little. smile.gif
post #1356 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:

One thing I have found about the Advanced Contrast Enhancer is that, when viewing from an off centered angle (when the entirety of the picture tends to suffer a bit anyways) the effect becomes very undesirable and much more noticeable. I find it great when viewing almost head on.
post #1357 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
A friend is considering buying this TV. He wants to use the TV as the input switcher and output audio to a soundbar. As we all know, though, TVs don't output multichannel audio via optical when the source is another HDMI device (cable, blu-ray, etc.). But does this TV output multichannel audio via ARC when the source is another HDMI device?

The plan is to connect his cable box to HDMI2 and blu-ray to HDMI3, then HDMI1 to the soundbar just for purposes of ARC (and get multichannel audio passed to the soundbar). Will that work? The reason he doesn't put the soundbar between the sources (like a receiver) and use it to switch inputs is that it's for his parents and he doesn't want the added complexity when they just want to turn on the TV. (Please, no Harmony remote suggestions.)

I read the HX750 manual online and it doesn't say whether this is possible. Thanks.

post #1358 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

One thing I have found about the Advanced Contrast Enhancer is that, when viewing from an off centered angle (when the entirety of the picture tends to suffer a bit anyways) the effect becomes very undesirable and much more noticeable. I find it great when viewing almost head on.

The important thing for me is the fact that it makes the blacks deeper and more importantly it reduces the amount of light in the corners on very dark scenes; in a way it's an advanced backlight control too...
During the day you won't notice it anyway but in late night situation it's very important...
post #1359 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWIII View Post

A friend is considering buying this TV. He wants to use the TV as the input switcher and output audio to a soundbar. As we all know, though, TVs don't output multichannel audio via optical when the source is another HDMI device (cable, blu-ray, etc.). But does this TV output multichannel audio via ARC when the source is another HDMI device?

The plan is to connect his cable box to HDMI2 and blu-ray to HDMI3, then HDMI1 to the soundbar just for purposes of ARC (and get multichannel audio passed to the soundbar). Will that work? The reason he doesn't put the soundbar between the sources (like a receiver) and use it to switch inputs is that it's for his parents and he doesn't want the added complexity when they just want to turn on the TV. (Please, no Harmony remote suggestions.)

I read the HX750 manual online and it doesn't say whether this is possible. Thanks.

Some TVs have Dolby Digital Passtrough via optical from HDMI devices; I don't know about HX750 because I prefer to directly connect the device to the receiver, but you might try...

I can tell you that the TV recognizes the Dolby Digital signal from my HDMI devices...
post #1360 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't know about HX750 because I prefer to directly connect the device to the receiver, but you might try...

Ha, yes, obviously a trial would indicate one way or another. I asked because the TV hasn't been purchased yet (and I won't even have access to it) and I was hoping that someone who does know might tell me ahead of time.

post #1361 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:

Ha, yes, obviously a trial would indicate one way or another. I asked because the TV hasn't been purchased yet (and I won't even have access to it) and I was hoping that someone who does know might tell me ahead of time.

My HX850 passes 5.1 via hdmi arc, don't see why the HX750 won't.
post #1362 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

I just want to confirm that it will pass 5.1 via ARC when the source is another HDMI device (as opposed to, say, the Netflix app on the TV). Is that the case with the HX850? Thanks.

post #1363 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRd2BeAr View Post

I just want to confirm that it will pass 5.1 via ARC when the source is another HDMI device (as opposed to, say, the Netflix app on the TV). Is that the case with the HX850? Thanks.

I can confirm that the HX750 will pass 5.1 and the HX850 will do the same, but an owner who has the HX850 can confirm that for sure. I say that because I am more familiar with the HX750 then the 850. But the tv's are almost the same so I dont see why it shouldnt.
post #1364 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Great, thanks. I was originally asking about the HX750.

Edit: Unfortunately I think that my plan will not work. Below is a sensible explanation of why external HDMI sources won't be passed as 5.1 via ARC. Note that, just as he wrote, I was trying to use this setup with a Yamaha Sound Projector.

"One rather large caveat that is missing from the article is that ARC (at least as currently implemented by HDMI chipset vendors) is effectively just an internal S/PDIF connection. As such ARC will only pass lossy DD/DTS from internal sources and will only pass 2-channel PCM from external HDMI sources. This is because the TV is doing the switching and the TV’s handshake with an HDMI device tells any external device that it is only a 2-channel capable sink, which is true from the TV’s perspective, it only has stereo speakers built in. So using ARC to connect to soundbars like the top-of-the-line sound bar like Yahama’s sound projectors, which offers more than just 2-speakers, you may be missing out on higher resolution and/or surround sound audio tracks from a Blu-ray player, etc."

From the comment by M. Wright here http://hdguru.com/what-is-hdmi-arc-and-what-does-it-do-for-your-hdtv/8322/

post #1365 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I can actually confirm that it does not, at least in some cases. For instance, I have a Wii U that only outputs 5.1 PCM audio via HDMI. Having the Wii U plugged in to the 750 itself, and not directly into my receiver, the audio coming out of my surround sound (plugged into HDMI 1 with ARC) was in stereo only. When switching the Wii U HDMI into the receiver, I then had access to the 5.1 PCM.

I do not know if this is the case for 5.1 Dolby audio as well. Outside of the TVs built in Internet apps I have yet to experience 5.1 audio (PCM or Dolby) via the ARC.

EDIT: PCM vs. Dolby 5.1 discussion http://www.avsforum.com/t/860179/pcm-vs-dolby-5-1 a little dated but a good read.
post #1366 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can actually confirm that it does not, at least in some cases. For instance, I have a Wii U that only outputs 5.1 PCM audio via HDMI. Having the Wii U plugged in to the 750 itself, and not directly into my receiver, the audio coming out of my surround sound (plugged into HDMI 1 with ARC) was in stereo only. When switching the Wii U HDMI into the receiver, I then had access to the 5.1 PCM.

I do not know if this is the case for 5.1 Dolby audio as well. Outside of the TVs built in Internet apps I have yet to experience 5.1 audio (PCM or Dolby) via the ARC.

EDIT: PCM vs. Dolby 5.1 discussion http://www.avsforum.com/t/860179/pcm-vs-dolby-5-1 a little dated but a good read.
Thanks for the first-hand account. Dolby or PCM, I suspect that it makes no difference. The short of it is that there's no way to use the TV as the HDMI input switcher, then have a multichannel audio device "downstream" so that is doesn't need to be on all of the time. Shame.

post #1367 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the first-hand account. Dolby or PCM, I suspect that it makes no difference. The short of it is that there's no way to use the TV as the HDMI input switcher, then have a multichannel audio device "downstream" so that is doesn't need to be on all of the time. Shame.

Wait... It's natural it can't passtrough PCM 5.1 because S/PDIF doesn't support it anyway! So it gets downconverted to stereo.
Dolby Digital and DTS might be supported
WII U doesn't support Dolby Digital and DTS at all, so Nintendo didn't have to pay the licenses
post #1368 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wait... It's natural it can't passtrough PCM 5.1 because S/PDIF doesn't support it anyway! So it gets downconverted to stereo.
WII U doesn't support Dolby Digital and DTS at all, so Nintendo didn't have to pay the licenses
Oh good call. Assuming it can pass DD and DTS, I wonder if it's worth it. For example, they'll have to make sure their Blu-ray is set to bitstream rather than convert to PCM. If they were my parents, I could guide them through it. But they're my friend's parents, and he doesn't even understand this stuff. Hmmm...

post #1369 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Oh good call. Assuming it can pass DD and DTS, I wonder if it's worth it. For example, they'll have to make sure their Blu-ray is set to bitstream rather than convert to PCM. If they were my parents, I could guide them through it. But they're my friend's parents, and he doesn't even understand this stuff. Hmmm...

If they have a 5.1 sound system, 5.1 is always the way to go regardless of the format; keep in mind that DTS 5.1 at max bitrate is very close to the uncompressed source, it's transparent...
post #1370 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Quote:

If they have a 5.1 sound system, 5.1 is always the way to go regardless of the format; keep in mind that DTS 5.1 at max bitrate is very close to the uncompressed source, it's transparent...

This is true. I was impressed when I first heard DTS 5.1 side by side with PCM. I could not tell a difference.
post #1371 of 1887 Old 04-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:

"WII U doesn't support Dolby Digital and DTS at all, so Nintendo didn't have to pay the licenses"

Correct, along with not supporting BluRay licenses. I suspect a Wii U version of the Homebrew channel will be coming soon to unlock the drive to be able to play BluRays though, the same way Wii played DVDs via Homebrew channel. Sorry, steering off topic here smile.gif
post #1372 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Let me say this...and its just my opinion. A tv like the HX750 should have either a sound bar or a surround sound system to get the full enjoyment of watching a Blu ray. I dont know if its important while watching your run of the mill tv show or movie on tv but the only knock I have on the my tv is its built in speakers. They are ok but not great and I dont think any flat panel on the market has great built in speakers....at least none that I am aware of anyway. Heck I had a Samsung sound Bar hooked up to my tv and I didnt even like that because it didnt give me the immersive feeling I wanted so I ordered up a Pioneer AVR with speakers. I know everyone cant afford to do that and have to live with their tv's built in speakers but then you just have to live with it and the sound you get which may not be great but theres no other way around it except for a surround sound system or sound bar. Tv manufacturers dont worry to much about the tvs sound these days just PQ which is sad but the way it is.
post #1373 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 09:20 AM

Anyone in the US know what changes todays software update brought with it?
post #1374 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone in the US know what changes todays software update brought with it?

There was a software update today? Holy crap when I get home I am gonna have to turn my tv on and see what changes there were eek.gif.
post #1375 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 AM

Liked: 10
I just did the update...I couldn't find any details though via the update or website on what the changes were.
post #1376 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 15
Hey all,

I had written before that my 46hx750 had acquired some more clouding but that has kind of fixed itself. It's been 3 months and if it stays like this I'll be happy.

Anyways, I just bought a pair of ps3 glasses and was wondering if anyone had tips on the settings for watching in 3d. I took off the black corrector and the advanced contrast so far and I am happier at how it looks now.

Thanks
post #1377 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie pastrano View Post

Hey all,

I had written before that my 46hx750 had acquired some more clouding but that has kind of fixed itself. It's been 3 months and if it stays like this I'll be happy.

Anyways, I just bought a pair of ps3 glasses and was wondering if anyone had tips on the settings for watching in 3d. I took off the black corrector and the advanced contrast so far and I am happier at how it looks now.

Thanks

I unfortunately have not tooled with many settings while viewing 3D content. I can't go more than 15-20 minutes with those darn glasses on.
post #1378 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwaiting View Post

I just did the update...I couldn't find any details though via the update or website on what the changes were.

Unless it removes my random reboots and banding issues, I don't think I'd be too impressed with whatever its doing smile.gif

Inquiries regarding previous updates had Sony reps informing me that additional Internet App content was being added.
post #1379 of 1887 Old 04-02-2013, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwaiting View Post

Unless it removes my random reboots and banding issues, I don't think I'd be too impressed with whatever its doing smile.gif

Inquiries regarding previous updates had Sony reps informing me that additional Internet App content was being added.

Well I did the update and checked the Internet Apps and nothing......nothing new anyway. Also I didnt notice a thing as far as PQ goes...the same. So I have no clue what the update was for or why it was needed. Sony also mentions nothing on its website about the update. So I guess until Sony says why an update was sent we are in the dark. confused.gif
post #1380 of 1887 Old 04-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

I unfortunately have not tooled with many settings while viewing 3D content. I can't go more than 15-20 minutes with those darn glasses on.

I hear you.

I wore them for about an hour and I felt so exhausted after. My eyes felt heavier and drier.

I was doing the simulated 3D for a bit and realized it doesn't look that much different from watching in 2D. Just seems to be a bit more separation between objects on the screen.

Too bad you can't put on motion flow while watching 3D.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page