Official Sony KDL-46HX750 & KDL-55HX750 Owners Thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1887 Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I dont not like shiny screen on HX750 (goriila glass?). Watch it in dark all the time and the reflections really bother me.

Memphis Home Builder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1887 Old 07-11-2013, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post

Hey gator are you getting a W802 or are they sending you another HX750?

They haven't specified yet... I imagine it will be when they call to set up the exchange appointment! It seems pretty late in the game to still be sending out 750s as replacements.
post #1713 of 1887 Old 07-12-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Quote:

Hey gator are you getting a W802 or are they sending you another HX750?

They haven't specified yet... I imagine it will be when they call to set up the exchange appointment! It seems pretty late in the game to still be sending out 750s as replacements.

Well I will keep my fingers crossed for you buddy. wink.gif
post #1714 of 1887 Old 07-12-2013, 07:35 AM

Liked: 11
i Just wanted to say this is really a great TV, My HDTV and Blu-ray viewing is perfect!
post #1715 of 1887 Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post

i Just wanted to say this is really a great TV, My HDTV and Blu-ray wieving is perfect!

Good to hear!
post #1716 of 1887 Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

I dont not like shiny screen on HX750 (goriila glass?). Watch it in dark all the time and the reflections really bother me.

the HX850 has the gorilla glass. The 750 has a matte finish screen
steve1971 likes this.
post #1717 of 1887 Old 07-13-2013, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post

the HX850 has the gorilla glass. The 750 has a matte finish screen

Spot on with that explanation gator. But the 750 even though it has the matte screen was very reflective. I just read something pretty interesting online and that was that Sony was debating whether to classify the HX750 as an EX750 but they didn't change it due to the fact that it had the 240hz Motionflow engine. So in essence if they would have done that it would have been no better then the EX640. I was a little surprised to read that.
rjhseven likes this.
post #1718 of 1887 Old 07-15-2013, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Spot on with that explanation gator. But the 750 even though it has the matte screen was very reflective. I just read something pretty interesting online and that was that Sony was debating whether to classify the HX750 as an EX750 but they didn't change it due to the fact that it had the 240hz Motionflow engine. So in essence if they would have done that it would have been no better then the EX640. I was a little surprised to read that.

Aside from bezel quality and a different menu (and lack of 3D), I couldn't find a single difference in real world comparisons between my HX750 and my cousins EX640. Most importantly the picture quality looked spot on the same.
post #1719 of 1887 Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM

Liked: 10
Some pretty big hardware differences between the hx720 and ex640 - including wifi direct, xreality engine, rovi tv guide, dolby digital plus, etc. Panel differences are debatable (frame dimming vs dynamic edge led) but 3d and 240 vs 480 are notable.

I broke down and got an extended warranty on my hx750. I only had a couple days left on my 1 year, and added 3 years of sony care. Will be interested to see how the random reboot servicing goes for gator, if he indeed gets the W802, and if he actually prefers it! My original theory was that the W802 is an upgrade of the ex640, with the hx750 being phased out.
post #1720 of 1887 Old 07-23-2013, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidream View Post

Some pretty big hardware differences between the hx720 and ex640 - including wifi direct, xreality engine, rovi tv guide, dolby digital plus, etc. Panel differences are debatable (frame dimming vs dynamic edge led) but 3d and 240 vs 480 are notable.

I broke down and got an extended warranty on my hx750. I only had a couple days left on my 1 year, and added 3 years of sony care. Will be interested to see how the random reboot servicing goes for gator, if he indeed gets the W802, and if he actually prefers it! My original theory was that the W802 is an upgrade of the ex640, with the hx750 being phased out.

You're probably right. The 802 seems to borrow from both the 640 and 750, yet doesn't appear to be a blatant successor to either of those two. However everyone seems to say the passive 3D trumps the Active shutters. Having not been too impressed with the Active on the 750, I look forward to giving the passive 3D on the 802 a go.

Regarding my exchange: typical Sony. On the 12th I set everything up to be swapped out (a day after a previous rep told me to wait it out until a potential future firmware update is released) but noticed come the 19th that I had never actually received any email confirmation on the matter. So I called back and they said the TV had shipped on the 16th and they would send out an email with all the details and tracking #'s etc.. Here it is on the 23rd and I have no TV or email. My last set exchange took around 5 weeks though, so who knows.

Over on the 802A thread here it reads very similar to this thread, so I am not holding my breath on being "floored". I just want somewhat less noticeable banding issues and that lightening fast lag rate of 17ms!
post #1721 of 1887 Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 AM

Fair enough, but why put an active 3D panel in the 900 model?
post #1722 of 1887 Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidream View Post

Fair enough, but why put an active 3D panel in the 900 model?

Left over components for which they don't have to pay LG a licensing fee?
post #1723 of 1887 Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Just came over to check out how things were going on the HX750 thread and wow has it died out! I guess some are moving on to newer TV's and that's cool. Hope your new W802 works out for ya gator and doesn't give you the "Re-boot" fit your 750 did. Just wanted to drop in and say hello fella's.
post #1724 of 1887 Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM

Well folks here it is, my W802. Impressions to follow but i will say this: this TV just feels like a higher quality than the 750. Both in build and software.
post #1725 of 1887 Old 07-29-2013, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well folks here it is, my W802. Impressions to follow but i will say this: this TV just feels like a higher quality than the 750. Both in build and software.

Looks good buddy. Cant wait to hear your full report. Its interesting to hear though that you think the build quality seems better then the HX750. In all honesty though it should be due to its a newer model.
post #1726 of 1887 Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 AM

Ok so, some thoughts after about 5~hours of use over 2 sessions.

During set up, I noticed the build quality to be substantially higher than the 750, being that I had both there as a side by side comparison. There's like a brushed metal thing going on for the bezel on the W80 (which by the way is about half the size of the bezel around the 750), whereas the 750 has the shiny plastic thing going on. I had some wiping to do of the panel on the W80 after install due to the sheet i had it laying on during the install of the wall mounts to the back of the set. First thing I noticed was how different the panel itself looked up close compared to the 750 panel. Not better, not worse... just, different. Slightly more reflective too.

So, once I got it powered on finally, the settings were all jacked up on demo mode and sure enough there was clouding. I mean what LCD set does not suffer from this! Maybe at this point I'm just so numb to it all after 3 sets of TVs in 2 years LOL...

PQ overall was superior to my 750 by a slim margin. One thing is for sure, this TV is WAY brighter than my 750s to the point where I have my backlight on Min. Banding is at a minimal, to the point where it doesn't stand out like it did on my 750s and I have to proactively search and find it to even see small amounts on extremely limited portion of scenes. It is also not present when gaming, in my play sessions.

But it gets interesting from here.... by the end of my second session with the set, the clouding has altered. What started out as two sweeping portions of "clouds" in the upper right and lower left of the screen when I first powered it on has now diminished to the point of almost uniformity. This is with ALL applicable PQ setting set to 'Off' mind you. To counter that, there is a small, 2 inch light blotch of cloud that wasn't present when first using the set. Given that I have been heavily wiping the screen (gently of course) the entire day, I'm starting to think the "trick" of rubbing the panel with a soft cloth may hold some merit when trying to eliminate clouding issues.

Other tidbits include a completely different off angle viewing experience and better 3D (in my opinion). Whereas the 750 had a more "washed out" look the further off angle you viewed, the W80 gets darker and has deeper blacks the more off angle you get. I'm not sure yet which one has the more desirable off angle viewing as I tend to sit dead center in 90% of all my viewing sessions. The 3D? I'm sold on passive 3D and I'll tell you why: the glasses. I could not stand the active 3D shutters with my 750. They were bulky, clunky, had to be recharged, costed a fortune (even though everyone says get the Playstation glasses for much cheaper) and gave me a headache with the subtle flicker after 30 minutes tops. In comparison, the 4 sets of passive glasses I received with the W80 are barely there on your face. The fact I have 4 sets means I can actually enjoy 3D with company over. And the 3D itself looks amazing. This is the closest thing to glasses free 3D.
post #1727 of 1887 Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

During set up, I noticed the build quality to be substantially higher than the 750, being that I had both there as a side by side comparison. There's like a brushed metal thing going on for the bezel on the W80 (which by the way is about half the size of the bezel around the 750), whereas the 750 has the shiny plastic thing going on. I had some wiping to do of the panel on the W80 after install due to the sheet i had it laying on during the install of the wall mounts to the back of the set. First thing I noticed was how different the panel itself looked up close compared to the 750 panel. Not better, not worse... just, different. Slightly more reflective too.

So, once I got it powered on finally, the settings were all jacked up on demo mode and sure enough there was clouding. I mean what LCD set does not suffer from this! Maybe at this point I'm just so numb to it all after 3 sets of TVs in 2 years LOL...

PQ overall was superior to my 750 by a slim margin. One thing is for sure, this TV is WAY brighter than my 750s to the point where I have my backlight on Min. Banding is at a minimal, to the point where it doesn't stand out like it did on my 750s and I have to proactively search and find it to even see small amounts on extremely limited portion of scenes. It is also not present when gaming, in my play sessions.

But it gets interesting from here.... by the end of my second session with the set, the clouding has altered. What started out as two sweeping portions of "clouds" in the upper right and lower left of the screen when I first powered it on has now diminished to the point of almost uniformity. This is with ALL applicable PQ setting set to 'Off' mind you. To counter that, there is a small, 2 inch light blotch of cloud that wasn't present when first using the set. Given that I have been heavily wiping the screen (gently of course) the entire day, I'm starting to think the "trick" of rubbing the panel with a soft cloth may hold some merit when trying to eliminate clouding issues.

Other tidbits include a completely different off angle viewing experience and better 3D (in my opinion). Whereas the 750 had a more "washed out" look the further off angle you viewed, the W80 gets darker and has deeper blacks the more off angle you get. I'm not sure yet which one has the more desirable off angle viewing as I tend to sit dead center in 90% of all my viewing sessions. The 3D? I'm sold on passive 3D and I'll tell you why: the glasses. I could not stand the active 3D shutters with my 750. They were bulky, clunky, had to be recharged, costed a fortune (even though everyone says get the Playstation glasses for much cheaper) and gave me a headache with the subtle flicker after 30 minutes tops. In comparison, the 4 sets of passive glasses I received with the W80 are barely there on your face. The fact I have 4 sets means I can actually enjoy 3D with company over. And the 3D itself looks amazing. This is the closest thing to glasses free 3D.

Good review gator and I am glad your enjoying it so far. The only thing I disagree with you on is the Passive 3D thing. I'll take Active anyday but its a matter of choice and what makes you comfortable in the end. Enjoy the W802 gator because you deserve it.
post #1728 of 1887 Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:

Good review gator and I am glad your enjoying it so far. The only thing I disagree with you on is the Passive 3D thing. I'll take Active anyday but its a matter of choice and what makes you comfortable in the end. Enjoy the W802 gator because you deserve it.

It's been a battle, that's for sure.

All in all when I plopped down the dough back in May of 2012 for a brand new LED TV, what I experienced yesterday with my brand new W80 is all I was ever hoping for from my 750s, and never got. So, third times a charm I guess? smile.gif (still early though, so jury is still out!)

And yes, I said brand new W80. Some way, some how, Sony managed to send me a brand new, non-refurbished new model replacement. Cheers to them!
post #1729 of 1887 Old 07-30-2013, 12:15 PM

How do the black levels compare on the W80?
post #1730 of 1887 Old 07-30-2013, 12:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Congrats!

I know you've been frustrated with your 750 so I'm glad you got a set that meets your needs.

How do sports look on it?
post #1731 of 1887 Old 07-30-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie pastrano View Post

Congrats!

I know you've been frustrated with your 750 so I'm glad you got a set that meets your needs.

How do sports look on it?

The two events I managed to find during this down season of no football or basketball looked just fine, however they were streamed events from an SEN internet app. The jury is out for me until kick off this September!

Regarding black levels vs. the 750: More or less the same with the exception of off angle viewing where black levels really deepen on the W80 (although so do the white levels, and well every other level). Keep in mind, all of my Adv. Contrast and Black Corrector settings are set of "Off" on this set. There's just something about this IPS panel in the W80 that allows me to tolerate the black level more than on the 750 and I can't put my finger on it. It's something you may just have to experience with your own eyes. Something interesting to note here: even though those PQ settings are indeed off, I notice the screen drops to an extreme black (almost like it's powered off) when nothing is present on the screen at all. It's interesting and I'm not sure why that is.

The OS and menu is snappier and more modern IMO. Text is a different font and looks higher resolution. SEN loads up almost instantly after pressing the SEN button on the remote. The built in Guide (for Antenna users and non-cable box cable users) is gone, however, from best I can tell.
post #1732 of 1887 Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 AM

Hi guys,

Did anyone of you noticed that after last firmware update quality of dvd content upscalling decreased significantly? It was good before, now is just almost impossible to watch, it's blurry and dirty from artifacts.
post #1733 of 1887 Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 AM

Interesting update: the "clouding" on my W80 disappears depending on what angle you view from, making me even more confused.... That is all.
post #1734 of 1887 Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:

The two events I managed to find during this down season of no football or basketball looked just fine, however they were streamed events from an SEN internet app. The jury is out for me until kick off this September!

Regarding black levels vs. the 750: More or less the same with the exception of off angle viewing where black levels really deepen on the W80 (although so do the white levels, and well every other level). Keep in mind, all of my Adv. Contrast and Black Corrector settings are set of "Off" on this set. There's just something about this IPS panel in the W80 that allows me to tolerate the black level more than on the 750 and I can't put my finger on it. It's something you may just have to experience with your own eyes. Something interesting to note here: even though those PQ settings are indeed off, I notice the screen drops to an extreme black (almost like it's powered off) when nothing is present on the screen at all. It's interesting and I'm not sure why that is.

The OS and menu is snappier and more modern IMO. Text is a different font and looks higher resolution. SEN loads up almost instantly after pressing the SEN button on the remote. The built in Guide (for Antenna users and non-cable box cable users) is gone, however, from best I can tell.

I'll be interested to hear how football looks on your W80. For me, sports look fantastic on the 750, when viewing on cable tv. I don't know if it's the 240hz refresh rate or the Clear motion sensor but I love it. Honestly, I think that's what this tv accelerates at.

I just came back from Best Buy and checked out your W80 tv. It does look really pretty on the display. The brights are bright (maybe the screen type) and the blacks are more black than the hx750. I did notice a slight bit of clouding but it's probably below the clouds of the hx750.

Anyways, football season is right around the corner.....
post #1735 of 1887 Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I'll be interested to hear how football looks on your W80. For me, sports look fantastic on the 750, when viewing on cable tv. I don't know if it's the 240hz refresh rate or the Clear motion sensor but I love it. Honestly, I think that's what this tv accelerates at.

I just came back from Best Buy and checked out your W80 tv. It does look really pretty on the display. The brights are bright (maybe the screen type) and the blacks are more black than the hx750. I did notice a slight bit of clouding but it's probably below the clouds of the hx750.

Anyways, football season is right around the corner.....
post #1736 of 1887 Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 AM

Sorry for all these same responses. I don't know what happened there.
post #1737 of 1887 Old 07-31-2013, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone knows how to turn on the local dimming on the 750? I don't see a setting for it like in last year's 720. Is it automatically now?
post #1738 of 1887 Old 07-31-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Does anyone knows how to turn on the local dimming on the 750? I don't see a setting for it like in last year's 720. Is it automatically now?

Cortiz the 750 does not have local dimming.......its only Dynamic Edge Backlighting but again no Local Dimming.
post #1739 of 1887 Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Sorry, I meant to say frame dimming. This is advertised in the Sony website on the spec sheet for the 750. How do you activate the frame dimming feature on the 750?
post #1740 of 1887 Old 08-01-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post

Sorry, I meant to say frame dimming. This is advertised in the Sony website on the spec sheet for the 750. How do you activate the frame dimming feature on the 750?

Hey Cortiz, you don't have to activate it because it's already on. BTW you don't have to say your sorry for asking a question. That's what we are here for. wink.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page