Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 1887 Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterXDTV View Post

I went back to Brightness 50 despite the fact that the disney disc was right : perfect black level is at 54, but the amount of clipping is so minimal that it's better to leave things at default with deeper blacks.

About ACE, the blacks' improvement is huge; I don't think that the skin tones are affected, simply ACE boosts the contrast on faces (just a little if it's set on LOW). ACE also solves the problem of light bleeding in the corners typical of LED, because it reduces the backlight on very dark scenes when you watch in dark conditions (night viewing)

Alright, I give..... Warm 2 has grown on me. So when my eyes became used to Warm 2, then i got into this whole juggling act between Backlight and Brightness level. I found the right combination, for me, but I dropped Brightness below 46 when I watch tv shows or movies. Will this be a big influence on black level clipping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1887 Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

You mean the light sensor? No i dont' use that, never tried it, Every review suggest to turn that off...

I´ll try to turn it off and leave backlight at 2 and see how it goes. I have it on 5 but with light sensor on so in a dark room is less brighter than a backlight at 2.
post #1863 of 1887 Old 10-09-2013, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie pastrano View Post

Alright, I give..... Warm 2 has grown on me. So when my eyes became used to Warm 2, then i got into this whole juggling act between Backlight and Brightness level. I found the right combination, for me, but I dropped Brightness below 46 when I watch tv shows or movies. Will this be a big influence on black level clipping?

In my experience Brightness below 50 will give me black level clipping. But it depends of the source and the video. Best bet is to get some calibration video from the same source you wan to calibrate.

If blacks are not that good i recommend to turn on ACE :Low.
willie pastrano likes this.
post #1864 of 1887 Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 AM

Brightness below 50 will cause serious black clipping in my opinion. I am trying now to stay with ACE OFF, to see if I can get past the reduced blacks, Light bleeding shouldn't be a problem because my backlight setting is very low...

EDIT: The difference in the blacks is very big, to compensate for the ACE (LOW) contrast boosting I am now setting the backlight to 0 (MIN) and Gamma up to +1
post #1865 of 1887 Old 10-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21 View Post

In my experience Brightness below 50 will give me black level clipping. But it depends of the source and the video. Best bet is to get some calibration video from the same source you wan to calibrate.

If blacks are not that good i recommend to turn on ACE :Low.

My black levels look fine to me. All I get are the screen corners showing just a bit of light how I have it now. But it's not that big of a deal to me.

How am I supposed to tell if there is clipping though. Is there a particular sort of scene or picture that would show it if it was too low?
post #1866 of 1887 Old 10-09-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brightness below 50 will cause serious black clipping in my opinion. I am trying now to stay with ACE OFF, to see if I can get past the reduced blacks, Light bleeding shouldn't be a problem because my backlight setting is very low...

EDIT: The difference in the blacks is very big, to compensate for the ACE (LOW) contrast boosting I am now setting the backlight to 0 (MIN) and Gamma up to +1

Yes i tried to stay away from ACE but the difference is really big, besides it´s not only gimmick, because if you put a full black screen, when ACE is Low the same screen gets darker. So it´s controlling the leds in the back, not only artificially creating bigger contrast bur rising whites. Blacks, are blacker.

I´ll try to stop playing with the settings and settle on ACE low and the rest as a posted before. I will try to play with the light sensor off and backlight at 2 or 3 to see how it goes.
post #1867 of 1887 Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

After reading that no body had the light sensor I gave it a tried. At 5 the backlight was to high for.my taste. I tried at 2 as some has it on the forum and I can finally say I'm done with the calibration. The picture is perfect now for me.

I thought the screen was to dark because of ace on low, butt it was the back light sensor causing it.

Love it now!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
post #1868 of 1887 Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anyone thought that the vertical banding on this set gets worse with age? Is that even possible? I'm not sure if it's in my head or what but when I bought the set (maybe about 6-8 months ago) I did notice some banding but it was light. However now I'm noticing it a lot more. I'm wondering if it's just me noticing it more or if it's actually getting worse over time. Thoughts?

Anyway as for the settings I dunno how you guys can all use 50+ brightness settings, that seems way too high to me (just my opinion). I have mine set to like 37 I think, and think I got to that with a Disney WOW disc so I can't see it being that far off or clipping black badly there. Maybe my set is a bit off I don't know. I'm also a bit iffy on the auto selection for black level (0-255 vs 16-235). I think if you change devices on the same input it keeps it on what it originally detected (for example switching from a cable box to PS3 or PC via a receiver), so I think for the auto setting to work you have to cycle video inputs whenever you change sources that have different black level outputs?

On the brightness setting I did notice on the scale there's a "gain up" point as I've found with other settings on other Sony sets (my friend's EX640 has this with the Picture/Contrast control). Somewhere between 40 and 50 (I think it's like 41 but can't remember) the brightness instead of gradually increasing jumps a huge amount, either going up or down. It's like if you go from 40 to 41 it jumps 10 points instead of just one (despite it only looking like one point on the set's scale). I stay below that point myself because above it, everything that should be black looks terribly grey to me and personally I really hate black looking grey like that.

Also unlike everyone else it seems, I actually use power saving (on low); also I use the light sensor lol. I don't care for a super bright backlight so I find using power saving on low works well (and, well, saves power). It would be much simpler if they just had a wider range of adjustment on the backlight setting though and just had a notification when you went below a certain level that you're now "power saving"...dunno why they place two essentially similar controls in completely different places. I actually find the sensor useful too because of differing room lighting. But I guess it's up to personal preference to a point. I don't think my TV is set all that differently from most people here but I do find those features useful anyway. I have the light sensor on, on my XBR8 and HX909 as well lol. I use the black corrector on low, ACE on low, and pretty much everything else off including MF. I only use MotionFlow on 3D as it actually changes the shutter rate on the glasses and I figure a higher rate on the glasses = less viewing fatigue. Oh and I also have Clear White on low with colour temp at Warm1 because I don't really like the yellowish effect on whites on warmer colour temps (can't even stand going to Warm2 despite it allegedly being more correct). I keep Clear White off though on the Graphics scene which I use for PC/Windows desktop, as I have the colour temp on Cool for that.
post #1869 of 1887 Old 10-29-2013, 07:42 PM

Liked: 12
Has anyone successfully used ARC with the 55HX750? I'm trying to use it for the first time tonight and am either getting no audio or the TV tells me no audio system is found, then switches back to TV speakers. I have a Denon AVR-1913 and it shows that the TV has taken control. I have an HDMI cable connected between the TV and receiver on HDMI 1.

I'm at a loss here. The source I'm using is connected to the TV on HDMI 2. Is there an issue using ARC for HDMI sources?
post #1870 of 1887 Old 10-30-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge View Post

Has anyone thought that the vertical banding on this set gets worse with age? Is that even possible? I'm not sure if it's in my head or what but when I bought the set (maybe about 6-8 months ago) I did notice some banding but it was light. However now I'm noticing it a lot more. I'm wondering if it's just me noticing it more or if it's actually getting worse over time. Thoughts?

Anyway as for the settings I dunno how you guys can all use 50+ brightness settings, that seems way too high to me (just my opinion). I have mine set to like 37 I think, and think I got to that with a Disney WOW disc so I can't see it being that far off or clipping black badly there. Maybe my set is a bit off I don't know. I'm also a bit iffy on the auto selection for black level (0-255 vs 16-235). I think if you change devices on the same input it keeps it on what it originally detected (for example switching from a cable box to PS3 or PC via a receiver), so I think for the auto setting to work you have to cycle video inputs whenever you change sources that have different black level outputs?

On the brightness setting I did notice on the scale there's a "gain up" point as I've found with other settings on other Sony sets (my friend's EX640 has this with the Picture/Contrast control). Somewhere between 40 and 50 (I think it's like 41 but can't remember) the brightness instead of gradually increasing jumps a huge amount, either going up or down. It's like if you go from 40 to 41 it jumps 10 points instead of just one (despite it only looking like one point on the set's scale). I stay below that point myself because above it, everything that should be black looks terribly grey to me and personally I really hate black looking grey like that.

Also unlike everyone else it seems, I actually use power saving (on low); also I use the light sensor lol. I don't care for a super bright backlight so I find using power saving on low works well (and, well, saves power). It would be much simpler if they just had a wider range of adjustment on the backlight setting though and just had a notification when you went below a certain level that you're now "power saving"...dunno why they place two essentially similar controls in completely different places. I actually find the sensor useful too because of differing room lighting. But I guess it's up to personal preference to a point. I don't think my TV is set all that differently from most people here but I do find those features useful anyway. I have the light sensor on, on my XBR8 and HX909 as well lol. I use the black corrector on low, ACE on low, and pretty much everything else off including MF. I only use MotionFlow on 3D as it actually changes the shutter rate on the glasses and I figure a higher rate on the glasses = less viewing fatigue. Oh and I also have Clear White on low with colour temp at Warm1 because I don't really like the yellowish effect on whites on warmer colour temps (can't even stand going to Warm2 despite it allegedly being more correct). I keep Clear White off though on the Graphics scene which I use for PC/Windows desktop, as I have the colour temp on Cool for that.

Your not alone Revenge. I also use the light sensor, Black Corrector, and my ACE on low. I also do not have Brightness set to 50 or above as everyone else does. Now I don't have it as low as you but its at 40 where I find it comfortable. I used to have an HX750 and really enjoyed it but I switched it out with the HX850 which is an awesome tv. I have no issues with banding, clouding or flashlighting as a I did somewhat with my HX750. So again your not alone using those features because I do as well. I find them useful a lot of people don't. I guess it comes down to personal preference.
post #1871 of 1887 Old 11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I just notice something that I'm not sure if is normal or not.

When I turn all advAnce settings and I put a black screen on hdmi imput from my PC the picture doesn't dim as fast as on the tv input
Unless I turn ace on low the backlight takes a few secs to dim the picture.

I tired different scene selection and same results

When I change channels from the tv antenna between changing channels the screen gets dimer instantly

Any thoughts?
post #1872 of 1887 Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is why is not working

Hi there, for those wondering how turn the the dynamic edge led option on I think I may have found the solution? After searching the Internet and getting no where I stumbled on the answer through the Sony site!

How to use Dynamic Edge LED?

Dynamic Edge LED works when [Adv. Contrast Enhancer] is set "High", "Medium" or "Low"
The setting menu is as follows.

[Home]-->[Display]-->[Picture]-->[Picture Mode]-->[Advanced Settings]-->[Adv. Contrast Enhancer]
or
[Option]-->[Picture]-->[Picture Mode]-->[Advanced Settings]-->[Adv. Contrast Enhancer]

Return back to ( KDL-40HX753 ) Tips and solutions

This is for the European model but is exactly the same tv apart from the last digit!

Hope this helps some people out there because I know this had been bugging the hell out of me!

On a side note- I've tried to post a link to the Sony site but it seems to think that the link does not exist so I have copy and pasted the page!
post #1873 of 1887 Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 PM

Liked: 12
I'm going to be getting access to a light meter and will be using it to calibrate my 55hx750. Is there a service menu available to provide more granular control or am I limited to the settings in the user menu?
post #1874 of 1887 Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM

Liked: 10
Just curious to those that have mounted their TVs to the wall, which mount did you use?
Did the speaker humps down at the bottom cause any problems? I imagine the humps would eliminate the more slimmer mount options.
post #1875 of 1887 Old 01-07-2014, 11:08 AM

Hey Booker,

I have tried ACE on but I can't get past how unrealistic it makes skin tones look. Only people with small pox have yellow skin like that.

The picture looks best to me when you don't mess with ACE. It's just a balancing act backlight level birghtness level. I keep backlight around 4 and brightness between 44 and 47. I also found that having Black Enhancer on low helps.
post #1876 of 1887 Old 01-22-2014, 11:28 AM

It seems the 2014 replacement for the HX750 would be the W800B. It's XR480 and Active 3D. Seems like a reasonable replacement.
post #1877 of 1887 Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidream View Post

It seems the 2014 replacement for the HX750 would be the W800B. It's XR480 and Active 3D. Seems like a reasonable replacement.

Looks thin. Wonder how the vertical banding is on it during panning screens.
post #1878 of 1887 Old 02-07-2014, 11:01 PM

havent seen a firmware update in quite some time has support ended now that the tv is listed as archived on sonys pages.
post #1879 of 1887 Old 05-15-2014, 03:25 PM

I doubt many people are still reading this thread but I'll throw it out there just in case. I have questions regarding overscan/underscan on this TV and if anyone has found a solution.

I have both a PS3 and Xbox One connected via HDMI and on the left side of the screen, I'm getting a single white line of pixels when in "Full Pixel Mode". It's my understanding that the white line is just unused code from the source. When changing to "Normal" mode, the line is no longer showing but then you overscanning and missing some of the picture. When asking around, it appears others do not have this problem (or maybe they just haven't noticed it) on their TVs.

Does anyone else have this problem and have found a resolution? I would think if I could manually adjust the horiztonal on the TV you could get rid of it or if you could set the alignment via the source such as the PS3.

Here's an example image although a little more extreme. It's harder to notice it on mine but it's definitely there.

525x525px-LL-5e0964c8_vbattach231194.jpeg
post #1880 of 1887 Old 06-01-2014, 07:39 PM

That white line would kill me. The only time I have seen such a white line is with certain TV programming.
Do you get that white line regardless of what the PS3/Xbox are playing? That screen's for THX right? I'm assuming the source is 1080p? Do you only get the white line during movies or do you get it also when playing video games?
post #1881 of 1887 Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 PM

Food for thought

Purchased my hx750 55' back in October 2012. I came from a Samsung PN50A550 Plasma. Upon review, my biggest gripe was the lack of inky blacks. Over time I've read the comments on here and tried various adjustments. As of today I've fell in love with the following to achieve deep blacks.

I turn on Scene Select Sync, which adjusts the backlight and I've also put the light sensor to the "on" position to further control the backlight. Then I leave my scene settings on Graphics.

I do loose some brightness so it's important to switch off the light sensor from time to time. But the win for me is the fact that I can enjoy the dark movies such as Thor 2, Hobbit 1 & 2...etc without being agitated by weak blacks.

I figure that LED TVs are super bright to begin with...

The PQ isn't put into a bad spot due to this, just in case you are grumbling at my suggestion.

I only due this to dark movies that need the deep blacks to look awesome. If I watch sports, I'm still all about being brighter than the sun. I go with VIVID and lower the brightness to 25-30. Yup, I just said VIVID.

Anyways, on another note. I'm almost ready for a 70' in my living room, but is Sony the best???? I'm leaning with Sharp on this one for price. I'm not spending over 2,600 on any TV, well not yet anyways.

I'm out.
post #1882 of 1887 Old 06-19-2014, 01:21 AM

i used to have my brightnes on 48 the whole time... now i updated my HX750 with the latest firmware and had to put down my brightness to about 43 to get back to the same black level as before... anyone else notice any changes to the picture since the firmware was updated ? This is the first firmware update i made so i'm not sure if this change already came with a previous update or the latest release a couple of weeks ago.

Last edited by Cobra04; 06-19-2014 at 04:51 AM.
post #1883 of 1887 Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there a way to check to see what firmware is on the tv?
post #1884 of 1887 Old 06-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
I doubt many people are still reading this thread but I'll throw it out there just in case. I have questions regarding overscan/underscan on this TV and if anyone has found a solution.

I have both a PS3 and Xbox One connected via HDMI and on the left side of the screen, I'm getting a single white line of pixels when in "Full Pixel Mode". It's my understanding that the white line is just unused code from the source. When changing to "Normal" mode, the line is no longer showing but then you overscanning and missing some of the picture. When asking around, it appears others do not have this problem (or maybe they just haven't noticed it) on their TVs.

Does anyone else have this problem and have found a resolution? I would think if I could manually adjust the horiztonal on the TV you could get rid of it or if you could set the alignment via the source such as the PS3.

Here's an example image although a little more extreme. It's harder to notice it on mine but it's definitely there.

Turns out this was related to the Full Pixel setting. The auto screen settings were overriding the Full Pixel mode. Turning off all auto functions and forcing Full Pixel resolved the issue. Bumping for anyone that may have ran into the same problem. As for firmware, Sony's site shows the latest firmware was in May of 2013.
post #1885 of 1887 Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 PM

That's weird..... on the German Sony website it say's the update from June 2014 is also for the HX750 (i have the HX755 which is exactly the same)

To check if there is an update available for your LCD just go in the settings and use the update feature (your TV has to be connected to the internet though)

Here is the website with the update for manual installation:

http://www.sony.de/support/de/conten...ua/KDL-46HX755

Last edited by Cobra04; 06-21-2014 at 12:36 AM.
post #1886 of 1887 Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM

Didn't anyone notice any changes ? I don't unterstand why my brightness changed after the firmware was updated
post #1887 of 1887 Old 07-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My Youtube app doesn't seem to be working. It start the video and then this white page pops up that says "This page display failed. Please check the following items: ... Help!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Sony by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page