AVS Forum banner
221K views 2K replies 178 participants last post by  Hwaiting 
#1 ·
Within the next few weeks our recently purchased 2012 Sony KDL-46HX750 LED television will be delivered. This new Sony replaces our much admired 2006 KDF-46E3000.

The first question a new television owner generally asked is "Why did you select this model?". My decision came after extensive research into the good and bad of 2011 46 inch Sony's along with how Sony addressed existing issues in the development of their 2012 models. You should note that I write from a non-high tech user perspective.

I discovered 2011 Sony's already had very good to great 2D and room for improvement with 3D. For us I doubt we will rarely if ever view 3D media yet with 3D a standard feature in most models it was only prudent to research Sony's 2012 3D technological improvements. I was very happy to learn the HX750 is expected to deliver very high quality video in both dimensions.

Today's television designers have sacrificed on-board speaker quality and placement in favor of slim & trim cases. In my opinion Sony seemingly assumes their TV owners will use external audio delivery systems. I am happy to write that we already have, in my opinion, a very good external audio setup.

For those interested in detailed HX750 information check out the following link.

From Sony-
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666415284

So until our 46HX750 is up and running this is about all I have to discuss.

See less See more
#1,553 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berseker  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1530#post_23294939

Non properly....as any other LCD tv it will yield the best pq at the native resolution of panel (1080p)..with interlaced input the pq is influenced by the goodness of internal scaler that have to scale the image to a supported resolution.[/quote

So keep the Directv setting on what? 1080P?

#1,555 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzz  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1530#post_23295629

Thanks Steve1971.You recommend this TV?Im debating buying a Samsung but I like the deal I see with this Sony.Too many choices

Do I reccomend the Sony HX750? Yes I do without question. For me my HX750 is the best tv I have yet to own and now that I have my Pioneer HTP-071 Home Theater Surround System hooked up to it its even better. The only complaint I have about my tv is its built in speakers, they aint the best. But hey name a HDTV out there that has great sounding built in speakers? None that I am aware of. But yes I highly reccomend it.

#1,559 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1530#post_23307330

My 46" should be arriving tomorrow.

Hopefully i dont get any dead pixel or bad spotlighting.

I would hate to have to go to the store to exchange it.

Wish me luck!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Good luck booker. I own the 46inch HX750 and the wife and I love it.

#1,561 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1530#post_23310253

Thanks

I can't wait. It should be home in a few hs. I'll post some comments later.

Telling you now: Expect some form of spot lighting/flashlighting in the corners. It's almost inevitable on LCD/LED sets and can be easily rectified with Advanced Contrast Enhancer option set to Low.

Dead pixels seem to be FAR less likely.

#1,562 ·
Well yesterday i got the tv. I really like it.

I´m coming from Plasma 2008 model, old and it was only 720p 42". I have to get used to LCD-LED since plasma is a different technology. Also since the old tv is a few years old the black levels on this LED tv are better than the my old plasma.

I don´t have any dead pixel, i looked over and over with full screen colors patterns. So i´m happy!

The spotlight in the corner are visible, not on every corner, the lower bottom left corner is the most visible but still not distracting when viewing. Also using the Contrast E at low helps tremendously with the black level and hide that spotlight very well. I know experts advice to turn all video processing off but i´ll leave that in LOW. the rest i can disable without any problems.

I don see clouding at all. the uniformity besides that lower corner is really really good.

Coming from plasma and owning a OLD LCD back in 2006 i was afraid about the blur etc, but is amazing how smooth it looks. I only experience blur with madden in the kickoff. Looking at the ball after the kick. But beside that everything is sharp and smooth.

I´m really happy with this tv so far. I´m still playing around with the Calibration.

Using Warm2 but still not settle. I want to use netrual since it pop the image but so far it´s pop too much, too artificial. So i think i´ll stay with Warm2 as the rest of my displays are and were.

Just for fun this is what i´m using now.

Eco mode is all off

Contrast 85

Brightness 51

color 50

sharpness 50

Temp WARM2

Motionflow Standard

All Advance are off except for ACE at low .

Scene selection is General on all. I know some recommend to set this to graphics but so far i´m not experiencing any issues.

What i did find was the Black Corrector didn´t affect the picture on any inputs except for HDMI2. There i was able to see the effect which i didn´t like and i disabled.

#1,564 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23315736

Anyone tried the 3d on this TV? how is it?

Glad you got a good model.

I was on Warm2 for a minute when I got my 750 but eventually realized that it makes people skin tone look a bit off. Neutral is what I go with now no matter if it's sports, video games, or tv shows.

3D works just fine on the 750. I've seen LG's that have better 3D than this, but this is still solid to me. I watch 3D movies on HBO on Demand and I've played COD Black Ops 2 which is 3D. I have good experiences with both.

#1,567 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23314539

Well yesterday i got the tv. I really like it.

I´m coming from Plasma 2008 model, old and it was only 720p 42". I have to get used to LCD-LED since plasma is a different technology. Also since the old tv is a few years old the black levels on this LED tv are better than the my old plasma.

I don´t have any dead pixel, i looked over and over with full screen colors patterns. So i´m happy!

The spotlight in the corner are visible, not on every corner, the lower bottom left corner is the most visible but still not distracting when viewing. Also using the Contrast E at low helps tremendously with the black level and hide that spotlight very well. I know experts advice to turn all video processing off but i´ll leave that in LOW. the rest i can disable without any problems.

I don see clouding at all. the uniformity besides that lower corner is really really good.

Coming from plasma and owning a OLD LCD back in 2006 i was afraid about the blur etc, but is amazing how smooth it looks. I only experience blur with madden in the kickoff. Looking at the ball after the kick. But beside that everything is sharp and smooth.

I´m really happy with this tv so far. I´m still playing around with the Calibration.

Using Warm2 but still not settle. I want to use netrual since it pop the image but so far it´s pop too much, too artificial. So i think i´ll stay with Warm2 as the rest of my displays are and were.

Just for fun this is what i´m using now.

Eco mode is all off

Contrast 85

Brightness 51

color 50

sharpness 50

Temp WARM2

Motionflow Standard

All Advance are off except for ACE at low .

Scene selection is General on all. I know some recommend to set this to graphics but so far i´m not experiencing any issues.

What i did find was the Black Corrector didn´t affect the picture on any inputs except for HDMI2. There i was able to see the effect which i didn´t like and i disabled.

Good to know Booker you got a good set and 3D is very good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwaiting  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23317409

Just got a new update...not sure what changes were made though.

The update was for for the Internet apps.

#1,568 ·
I'm about to give up on this. I still can't get my HX750 to connect properly to the internet. I'm using the wired LAN connection and thought it was all working last night after restarting modem & actiontec router and replacing ethernet cable. It connected normally and I could watch youtube, etc. Then today, nothing changed, but it won't connect. I can try manual, auto, custom setup...nothing works. Makes no sense. But a laptop using the same cable will connect no problem each time. Anyone else have this issue?

#1,569 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23324699

I'm about to give up on this. I still can't get my HX750 to connect properly to the internet. I'm using the wired LAN connection and thought it was all working last night after restarting modem & actiontec router and replacing ethernet cable. It connected normally and I could watch youtube, etc. Then today, nothing changed, but it won't connect. I can try manual, auto, custom setup...nothing works. Makes no sense. But a laptop using the same cable will connect no problem each time. Anyone else have this issue?

I never use my HX750 to watch apps anymore because it seem's it has a hard time connecting to my internet (Buffering and so fourth) so that has become the job of my Blu ray player as well as watching Blu rays and so fourth. I dont look at tv's as an internet app hub anymore and I think manufacturers should just leave those features off and let Blu ray players ect to handle those features. It may not be my tv's fault though because I just found out that my step mother downgraded our internet service
so that may be why my tv acts the way it does when I try watching the video apps. No matter like I said my Blu ray player does the job.

#1,570 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23324699

Because my HX750 is connected wirelessly, and my LG BD570 does a better job playing movies from my PC's hard drives (no DLNA needed!!), I haven't done much with my HX750 via the internet besides watching a couple of netflix movies, and some of the 3D samples.

Its worked consistently each time (wirelessly).

#1,571 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie pastrano  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23315802

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23315736

Anyone tried the 3d on this TV? how is it?

Glad you got a good model.

I was on Warm2 for a minute when I got my 750 but eventually realized that it makes people skin tone look a bit off. Neutral is what I go with now no matter if it's sports, video games, or tv shows.

3D works just fine on the 750. I've seen LG's that have better 3D than this, but this is still solid to me. I watch 3D movies on HBO on Demand and I've played COD Black Ops 2 which is 3D. I have good experiences with both.

Actually I made a few changes.

Switched to neutral but at the same time I turned eco amb lights on.

While the picture dims. The black s are amazing when using it.

Warn setting with eco setting on make the picture extremely dark.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

#1,572 ·
Some of you guys are mentioning difficulties connecting to the internet from TV.

I've had the HX750 for over 8 months. And have been using it with both Wifi and now Wired ethernet. No such issues.

I'm located in Pakistan and they have released just a single update during this time, so usually I just route my TV's internet through my Laptop (that uses a US VPN) - This enables me to access Youtube etc (which are banned here) and also gets me the latest Updates meant for the US customers
- The new update added the Kickass Youtube-For-TV app. Which is very similar to the PS3 youtube app. Tried it for a bit, videos play smooth. I think i'll resume using the TV apps more after this update.

I wasn't even sure the TV had that much Flash Memory, but the latest update is 93 MBs
... and so glad sony is still releasing updates for this model!

One thing I wish Sony improved would be the keyboard part. Characters entry take too long! and the 'timeout' on the letters popup is too long. I.e. For instance i wanted to type H, I'd press 4, twice. and then wait like 1 second for the popup to disappear. On entry-level mobile phones like Nokia 1100 etc, that timeout is WAY too fast. you have to wait like 200ms for the letter to register.!

#1,573 ·
I couldn't imagine typing anything using the physical remote. Have you tried the PC app option? (or Android app, if you have an Android device)

If you are using a Windows PC and it's on the same network as your TV, Sony does have a PC app that acts like a remote (there are buttons for Select, Home, Return, Options, directional pad, etc....). Whenever you come across a field that requires text input (like a search box on the Youtube app), you can simply type it on your PC keyboard, press enter and the text string will be sent to the TV. It is a lot better than using the physical remote.

If you have a VAIO, I believe it comes with the fully supported app called "Sony Remote Keyboard".

If you don't have a VAIO (I don't), Sony has still made a version of the app available called "Sony Remote Keyboard Lite" but they don't offer any support for it. It works great for me for both my TV and my Sony Blu-Ray player.

If you Google it, it's easy to find and download from Sony's own website although I don't think it's on the North American one.

As for the internet, I have luckily not had too many issues using apps like Youtube and viewing 3D demos. Where I get most of my issues is with streaming video files from my PC to the TV. Sometimes it works like a charm without a glitch and other times, it's intermittent, regardless if I'm transcoding or not. When it's not working, it gets frustrating fast.

#1,574 ·
I have a quastion about input lag in this model - in every review they give 30-33ms score, but my guess is its for the game mode. Since this mode disables all processing i see lots of blurring with motion flow off, in fact its horrible, worse than my bit old dell ips monitor which I cant stand playing anything faster. How high lag does it have with motionflow set to clear - mode with no added inter frames in this mode from what I understand?

#1,575 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by uQuad  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23329232

I have a quastion about input lag in this model - in every review they give 30-33ms score, but my guess is its for the game mode. Since this mode disables all processing i see lots of blurring with motion flow off, in fact its horrible, worse than my bit old dell ips monitor which I cant stand playing anything faster. How high lag does it have with motionflow set to clear - mode with no added inter frames in this mode from what I understand?
I never use any motion interpolation nonsense, so don't know that but you can always use a lag test of some sort to find out. Not really sure what you're talking about, about blur though. I never notice any significant blurring and the HX750 seems to have okay response time for a large TV.

In this (French) review here, it tested at 8.5ms:
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-televiseur/sony-bravia-kdl-46hx750-p12951/nouveau-format-tests-tv-sony-bravia-hx750-n24286.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhx750%2Btest%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-ca:IE-Address%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D638

That's pretty good for a TV, according to the review; and, IPS monitors like your Dell aren't exactly known for the quickest response time (though I'm not sure what response time your particular Dell is giving). Sure it's not up there with most modern/gaming PC monitors but it's still good enough that I don't notice any blurring on sports, etc.

I don't know if MF is going to help you either, that doesn't change the panel's physical repsonse time, it just adds nonsense so everything looks like a soap opera, LOL.

#1,576 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_Revenge  /t/1400263/official-sony-kdl-46hx750-kdl-55hx750-owners-thread/1560#post_23333141

I never use any motion interpolation nonsense, so don't know that but you can always use a lag test of some sort to find out. Not really sure what you're talking about, about blur though. I never notice any significant blurring and the HX750 seems to have okay response time for a large TV.

In this (French) review here, it tested at 8.5ms:
http://translate.google.ca/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-televiseur/sony-bravia-kdl-46hx750-p12951/nouveau-format-tests-tv-sony-bravia-hx750-n24286.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhx750%2Btest%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-ca:IE-Address%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D638

That's pretty good for a TV, according to the review; and, IPS monitors like your Dell aren't exactly known for the quickest response time (though I'm not sure what response time your particular Dell is giving). Sure it's not up there with most modern/gaming PC monitors but it's still good enough that I don't notice any blurring on sports, etc.

I don't know if MF is going to help you either, that doesn't change the panel's physical repsonse time, it just adds nonsense so everything looks like a soap opera, LOL.

Motion flow on clear raises the motion resolution to 1080 lines and has been tested to do such. It only adds soap opera effect to film material and is no where near as bad as smooth or standard in this respect.

I have left it on clear for single player games and it really helps the motion on my HX85

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.