Official Sony KDL-46HX750 & KDL-55HX750 Owners Thread - Page 64 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1891 of 1909 Old 01-22-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Anyone know what the update was?
Yeah that one caught me off guard too--was never expecting to see another update! It doesn't update anything on the set though, it's just an internet security update. I only realised it 'cause it's the first time I went to go use Netflix on mine since last year and it forced the update (can't start Netflix without it). If you don't use the internet features of the set you'll never need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I started this thread but have not been here for a very long time. Gratifying to note the great number of replies. Of all of the Sony's we have owned over the past 35 years our 46HX750 is hands down the best. As I've aged, now 61, I have lessened, stopped really, fiddling with settings. Looks great so leaving it alone. That's just me. I think it is great you folks continue finding adjustments that improve video.

Do have a request. If one of you would compare our HX750 to it's current replacement I would really like to know the notable advancements and any losses. Have read Sony prompting the new units sound. I wonder if such is real or just hype. We use a full array of AV gear to provide superior audio.

Thank you all for keeping this thread alive!
TBH I don't think the HX750 series was really anything all that special. I have one (55") only because it was cheap at the time for what you got--55", brand name, active 3D, decent all around but nothing great...for under $1300 CAD after tax (what mine cost me when I bought it IIRC). The year prior actually had better sets in the same range from what I recall (sets like the HX820 were fantastic from what I remember, basically an XBR in regular clothing) but they were all higher priced when they were around.

I really don't have any complaints about my HX750 but I take it for what it is as well. I almost returned it when I bought it but then realised I'd had to spend like $400 more to get the HX850 and though that was slightly better I didn't think it was worth the extra money. Admittedly I do have two XBRs--a 46XBR8 and a 46HX909--so I am thinking of it along with much higher end sets. That said, the HX750 is my main TV and apart from the occasional reboot it's been very good and I'm quite happy with it

As for the sound, I wouldn't be too "enthused" by the sound claims of any TV set. They all pretty much stink. I've never used the speakers on my HX750 but I don't think the more modern sets (I'm guessing the W800/W840 series would be the "equivalent" set today) are anything much better. The speakers on the XBR8 are separate from the TV and on the sides, plus it has a "woofer" in the cabinet for low[er] end, but that set I have set up with a pair of JBL S36 II speakers. Switching between the two is like night and day, the TV speakers as good as they wanted them to be are still terrible in comparison. I haven't heard any TV since the days of huge-cabinet CRT RPTVs that have had even half decent audio, so if looking for a new TV forget about the audio and just invest in some speakers and an amp--anything from a soundbar to an HTIB to a 2.1 setup with an amp will sound much better. In fact I think that's why the soundbar craze has caught on. Soundbars, 90% of them, are pretty bad. However TV speakers are so bad that they make soundbars sound good, lol.

As for anything else, the newer equivalent sets are pretty well improved on all fronts from the HX750 I would say. Only thing is Sony has passive 3D on some sets and active on others. Seems to be random and it's more a preference thing which you like better. Scientifically speaking active has better resolution but it's argued it's the same to your brain with passive 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1909 Old 01-22-2015, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Thanks for the thorough reply rjhseven.

Distressing to learn there is little to no improvement in today's version. I have no interest in a 4K so a comparison between the HX750 and other brands seems necessary. My only reason for a new HDTV is an increase in size from the current 46" to a 55".

After a look at my equipment list you will find that we use a full AV system.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr, Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20, Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c, Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables
post #1893 of 1909 Old 04-01-2015, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red Light Blinking 8 times problem
And finally my HX750 started showing this issue. Mine was bought in 2012. Today evening suddenly out of the blue, the TV started turning off and on for like 3 times and then turned off permanently and red light started blinking 8 times. I tried doing the same power reset and factory reset but no luck. Then i decided to remove internet connection (mine i a wired connection) and tried doing a factory reset. It worked ok, but the moment i connect internet and try to refresh internet contents the problem starts again. This happens both for wired and wireless connections.

My firmware is upto date (PKG2.120AAA), i even tried downloading the firware into a USB stick and update, but it gave me a message saying 'no newer version of the tv software was found'.

Is this something i can fix on my own or do i need to contact sony or call a service man?

Any help will be appreciated.
post #1894 of 1909 Old 04-02-2015, 08:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1980 View Post
Red Light Blinking 8 times problem
And finally my HX750 started showing this issue. Mine was bought in 2012. Today evening suddenly out of the blue, the TV started turning off and on for like 3 times and then turned off permanently and red light started blinking 8 times. I tried doing the same power reset and factory reset but no luck. Then i decided to remove internet connection (mine i a wired connection) and tried doing a factory reset. It worked ok, but the moment i connect internet and try to refresh internet contents the problem starts again. This happens both for wired and wireless connections.

My firmware is upto date (PKG2.120AAA), i even tried downloading the firware into a USB stick and update, but it gave me a message saying 'no newer version of the tv software was found'.

Is this something i can fix on my own or do i need to contact sony or call a service man?

Any help will be appreciated.
I was just coming to post the exact same thing!! I have the EXACT SAME SYMPTOMS. (including it working with Ethernet wire removed, but I haven't tried with wifi configured).

I got my 55HX750 March 3, 2013 with the 5yr Sony Protection plan, so I called Sony last night.

The rep I spoke with suggested its an issue with the internet connection. He had me try resetting, factory resetting, unplug the Ethernet cable, reboot my router, etc. several times. Without fail, as soon as I connected the network wire, the TV started resetting.

Searching online, I found .AU sites talking about this issue a few years ago, suggesting its a corrupt EPG data (See -> http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2115391 ). It was supposedly fixed in firmware update back then. Not sure how it applies to us. There are also some trouble shooting steps in there that appear to be related to the main board needing to be replaced.

Sony support is going to call me back later today. Since the problem persists (at least when connected to the internet), they are likely going to replace my TV as he didn't think repair parts are still available for the HX750. I do not know yet what they will offer/give me as a replacement. He mentioned possibly a 2014 model, if a 55 isn't available they might give me a 60-65", etc. but didn't mention possible models.

I don't know what is consider equivalent to this TV, or what has comparable picture quality viewing both SD and HD. From what I'm reading and reviewing, I'm not sure what a suitable replacement will be.

EDIT: After running for about two hours yesterday morning (without Wifi, and with ethernet wire unplugged) and the TV not having any issues, I decided to try Wifi. After configuring Wifi, the TV kept on going, no restarts, no flashing LED. I began to watch a movie via Amazon Prime, again no issues. After about 4 hours of the TV being on and connected via Wifi, I decided to again connect the ethernet cable and configure the TV for wired ethernet. Again, no reboot issues. We watched about two hours more, and it was fine. Solid. Working normally.

It really makes me wonder about that "corrupt EPG data" in the .AU thread...

When the Sony Rep called me last night, I explained the situation. I asked if was alright to close the case, and re-open it later should the issue start again. He said that is fine. The case number I have will stay in my file. And my protection plan is of course still valid for a few more years.

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 04-03-2015 at 06:09 AM.
post #1895 of 1909 Old 04-05-2015, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Me to

My Sony kdl46hx750 started doing the same thing on Wed. night I tried everything I found online with no luck. The closest repair shop to me is an hour away, not sure if it's worth the time or the money to try and repair it. It has been doing the reboot thing once in awhile for the past year or so but it was so rare and usually it came right back on, but not this time.
post #1896 of 1909 Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdobbs View Post
My Sony kdl46hx750 started doing the same thing on Wed. night I tried everything I found online with no luck. The closest repair shop to me is an hour away, not sure if it's worth the time or the money to try and repair it. It has been doing the reboot thing once in awhile for the past year or so but it was so rare and usually it came right back on, but not this time.
Same as mine was. (once in a while of the past 9-12 months, then finally the constant restart and flashing LED).

Here are the steps I took, and mine continues to work fine (knock on wood!!)... NOTE: this WILL erase you TV settings/calibrations!!

Disconnect any wired ethernet cable, and unplug power from the TV for at least 30-45 seconds. Press/Hold the Power button on the right side/back of the TV for 2 minutes.

Re-connect Power only.

Do a factory reset by holding the Up direction on the remote and pressing (then hold for about 3 seconds) the Power button on the right side/back of the TV. (NOTE: I forget if i had to turn the TV on first, before trying the reset procedure.) When you see the TV prompt for language selection, do the reboot process 3 more times. Finally, setup the TV without ethernet (wired or wireless). See if the TV works, or continues to restart itself.

If the TV works OK without ethernet connected (like mine did), go into the settings menu and configure wifi (if possible), then use the menu option to refresh internet content (under network settings). Try streaming something from Amazon, Netflix, DLNA, etc. if you can. If the TV is still working fine, connect ethernet wire (if you have it), and reconfigure the TV for wired ethernet. Again, use the TV's menu option to refresh internet content, and then try to stream something from the internet (like Amazon, Netflix, etc).

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 04-05-2015 at 06:38 AM.
post #1897 of 1909 Old 04-05-2015, 07:22 AM

I will give it a try tonight when I get home hope it works. I can't find any place online that stocks the BAP board for it.
post #1898 of 1909 Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Hey Mark,

I tried what you said earlier and so far so good been watching TV for about 45 minutes longest run since it crashed the other day. I have hooked everything up except for the ethernet cable, just running it off WIFI for now. I figure no more then I use the net with it I will be OK, I have a WIFI DVD player for my apps.
post #1899 of 1909 Old 04-08-2015, 07:20 AM

I have the same problem as listed several times above..... Sony KDL-55HX750 was working fine until two days ago. Then it started spontaneously rebooting about three times. Eventually the screen went dark and I got the blinking red standby light flashing 8 times. I have tried a hard factory reset, but the TV does not respond with a reset sequence. In fact the remote hardly gets any response from the TV (new batteries) other than ON/OFF. I have 2 remotes with the same lack of response. I took a guess and replaced the T-Con board, but no change. There are only two other boards to replace, but they are scarce.

Does anyone know what the 8 flashes mean?

(A comical note.... This TV was a factory replacement for one of the infamous SXRD TV's ($5000) as part of the class action suite against Sony. I still had to pay part of the total amount. You may remember these TV's (ILCOS rear projection) suffered from the "green blob of death" on the projection screen. I decided to buy a new "light engine" and replace it myself after seeing the YouTube videos. It is still working fine today, but my "factory replacement KDL-55HX750" is now non-functional after less than three years. I'm a little concerned about any future Sony purchases.)

Again, does anyone know the meaning of the 8 red flashes and how to fix it? It is obvious that other people are experiencing the same problem.
post #1900 of 1909 Old 04-08-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoyMD View Post
Again, does anyone know the meaning of the 8 red flashes and how to fix it? It is obvious that other people are experiencing the same problem.
As stated earlier, Sony support told me the LED blinking Red for 8 times was related to a network issue. I did post a link to a .AU forum discussing the exact same symptoms from a couple years ago that said it was related to corrupted or bad EPG data. That thread also has a post with some trouble shooting info indicated

Quote:
8 blink could be caused by one of the following issues:

1. Software Issue

2. Network Issue

3. Skype Login Issue

4. Incompatible USB Device Plugged Inserted

5. Defective Main Board
Did you try what was in Post 1896? (including the unplug from power step?) Mine is still working fine after doing that several days ago. If that doesn't work, then its likely the "defective main board"

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 04-08-2015 at 08:06 AM.
post #1901 of 1909 Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 AM

I'm 3 days into the fix you recommended Mark and going strong still have the ethernet unplugged and have not reprogrammed the over the air channels. The only deviation I did was my TV had been unplugged for 3 days before I attempted the reset but other then that I followed your steps exactly.
post #1902 of 1909 Old 04-08-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdobbs View Post
I'm 3 days into the fix you recommended Mark and going strong still have the ethernet unplugged and have not reprogrammed the over the air channels. The only deviation I did was my TV had been unplugged for 3 days before I attempted the reset but other then that I followed your steps exactly.
Glad to hear it!! I'm running since I posted, even with wired ethernet plugged in and configured, and everything hooked up (i.e. bluray connected, hdmi switch, etc) as before.
post #1903 of 1909 Old 04-09-2015, 06:18 AM

Mark_Venture, Thank you for you prompt reply. Unfortunately, my KDL55HX750 will not respond to any attempts to perform a factory reset after re-connecting the power cord. It will not go through the initial boot-up sequence on a new TV (remote "UP" arrow and on-board power switch). There is no network cat5e cable connected, and no USB devices connected. My replacement T-Con board showed no change. I am going to replace the power supply board tomorrow. I don't normally like this "shotgun" approach to fixing electronic devices, but at this time it is my only option short of dragging the TV to the repair shop.
post #1904 of 1909 Old 04-12-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoyMD View Post
Mark_Venture, Thank you for you prompt reply. Unfortunately, my KDL55HX750 will not respond to any attempts to perform a factory reset after re-connecting the power cord. It will not go through the initial boot-up sequence on a new TV (remote "UP" arrow and on-board power switch). There is no network cat5e cable connected, and no USB devices connected. My replacement T-Con board showed no change. I am going to replace the power supply board tomorrow. I don't normally like this "shotgun" approach to fixing electronic devices, but at this time it is my only option short of dragging the TV to the repair shop.
Addendum to above reply to Mark_Venture:

My KDL55HX750 appears to be working now, but unfortunately I am not sure why. I changed the T-Con board without resolution of the 8 red LED flashes. I was about to change the power supply board, but I decided to give the hard reset (factory defaults) one more try even though I had done it at least 10 times before. I left the set unplugged for 2 days and also pushed in the on-board on/off switch 2-3 minutes prior to initiating the factory reset sequence as recommended by Mark_Venture. For the first time I saw the little "Reset Box" on the lower left side of the screen. I repeated the sequence as Mark suggested, and I was able to proceed with the factory start-up sequence. I am not sure if the lack of power or the extended pushing on the on/off switch was responsible for draining the mylar/tantalum capacitors or the non-volatile CMOS memory chips, but whatever the reason it appears to operate normally for the past 2 days. Many thanks to Mark_Venture and everyone else involved.
post #1905 of 1909 Old 04-13-2015, 05:11 AM

Mine is still plugging along after trying what Mark said earlier as I stated previously I had left mine unplugged for about 3 days as I was getting ready to take it to a repair shop. Outside of that I followed his steps exactly and it is still running.
post #1906 of 1909 Old 04-13-2015, 05:26 AM

Glad yours are working too!!!

It does seem to be weird... and really has me thinking about the corrupt EPG data being the cause as talked about in the .AU thread.

I mean, why else would our TV's "die" the same way, at the same time, and disconnecting everything, factory resetting, etc.. fix them??
post #1907 of 1909 Old Today, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey guys! I own the KDL-46HX750 and I've been pretty happy with it. I've used Disney's WOW Calibration blu ray and was just looking to compare my settings. Can anyone please include a link or share your settings for watching movies/tv?
post #1908 of 1909 Unread Today, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
We really like our 46HX750. Here are its settings.

Picture Modes - Standard & Cinema 2
Backlight - 6
Picture - Max
Brightness - 48
Color - 57
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 2
Sharpness - 60
Noise Reduction - Auto
MPEG Noise Reduction - Auto
Dot Noise Reduction - Auto
Motionflow - Smooth
CineMotion - Auto 1

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector - Medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer - Medium
Gamma - -1
Auto Light Limiter - Medium
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Medium
White Balance - Default
Detail Enhancer - High
Edge Enhancer - High
Skin Naturalizer - Grayed Out
i/p Conversion Preference - Grayed Out

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr, Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20, Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c, Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables
post #1909 of 1909 Unread Today, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
We really like our 46HX750. Here are its settings.

Picture Modes - Standard & Cinema 2
Backlight - 6
Picture - Max
Brightness - 48
Color - 57
Hue - 0
Color Temperature - Warm 2
Sharpness - 60
Noise Reduction - Auto
MPEG Noise Reduction - Auto
Dot Noise Reduction - Auto
Motionflow - Smooth
CineMotion - Auto 1

Advanced Settings
Black Corrector - Medium
Adv. Contrast Enhancer - Medium
Gamma - -1
Auto Light Limiter - Medium
Clear White - Off
Live Color - Medium
White Balance - Default
Detail Enhancer - High
Edge Enhancer - High
Skin Naturalizer - Grayed Out
i/p Conversion Preference - Grayed Out
Does anyone know if these are good for 55HX750?

Memphis Home Builder
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Sony by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page