AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Anyone know what the update was?
Yeah that one caught me off guard too--was never expecting to see another update! It doesn't update anything on the set though, it's just an internet security update. I only realised it 'cause it's the first time I went to go use Netflix on mine since last year and it forced the update (can't start Netflix without it). If you don't use the internet features of the set you'll never need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I started this thread but have not been here for a very long time. Gratifying to note the great number of replies. Of all of the Sony's we have owned over the past 35 years our 46HX750 is hands down the best. As I've aged, now 61, I have lessened, stopped really, fiddling with settings. Looks great so leaving it alone. That's just me. I think it is great you folks continue finding adjustments that improve video.

Do have a request. If one of you would compare our HX750 to it's current replacement I would really like to know the notable advancements and any losses. Have read Sony prompting the new units sound. I wonder if such is real or just hype. We use a full array of AV gear to provide superior audio.

Thank you all for keeping this thread alive!
TBH I don't think the HX750 series was really anything all that special. I have one (55") only because it was cheap at the time for what you got--55", brand name, active 3D, decent all around but nothing great...for under $1300 CAD after tax (what mine cost me when I bought it IIRC). The year prior actually had better sets in the same range from what I recall (sets like the HX820 were fantastic from what I remember, basically an XBR in regular clothing) but they were all higher priced when they were around.

I really don't have any complaints about my HX750 but I take it for what it is as well. I almost returned it when I bought it but then realised I'd had to spend like $400 more to get the HX850 and though that was slightly better I didn't think it was worth the extra money. Admittedly I do have two XBRs--a 46XBR8 and a 46HX909--so I am thinking of it along with much higher end sets. That said, the HX750 is my main TV and apart from the occasional reboot it's been very good and I'm quite happy with it

As for the sound, I wouldn't be too "enthused" by the sound claims of any TV set. They all pretty much stink. I've never used the speakers on my HX750 but I don't think the more modern sets (I'm guessing the W800/W840 series would be the "equivalent" set today) are anything much better. The speakers on the XBR8 are separate from the TV and on the sides, plus it has a "woofer" in the cabinet for low[er] end, but that set I have set up with a pair of JBL S36 II speakers. Switching between the two is like night and day, the TV speakers as good as they wanted them to be are still terrible in comparison. I haven't heard any TV since the days of huge-cabinet CRT RPTVs that have had even half decent audio, so if looking for a new TV forget about the audio and just invest in some speakers and an amp--anything from a soundbar to an HTIB to a 2.1 setup with an amp will sound much better. In fact I think that's why the soundbar craze has caught on. Soundbars, 90% of them, are pretty bad. However TV speakers are so bad that they make soundbars sound good, lol.

As for anything else, the newer equivalent sets are pretty well improved on all fronts from the HX750 I would say. Only thing is Sony has passive 3D on some sets and active on others. Seems to be random and it's more a preference thing which you like better. Scientifically speaking active has better resolution but it's argued it's the same to your brain with passive 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1892 Unread Today, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the thorough reply rjhseven.

Distressing to learn there is little to no improvement in today's version. I have no interest in a 4K so a comparison between the HX750 and other brands seems necessary. My only reason for a new HDTV is an increase in size from the current 46" to a 55".

After a look at my equipment list you will find that we use a full AV system.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR HR44,
DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c
Valodyne Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Monoprice Cables
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Sony by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page