Official Sony KDL-46HX750 & KDL-55HX750 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1887 Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone who wants to play his/her pc games in 3D on this TV requires 3Dtv or equivalent (Tridef or iz3d).

Nvidia's 3Dplay won't work (yet) because during install, it looks at the TV ebid file and refuses to install (only) the 3d part cause it's not on the approved list.

This scornful little piece of miracle code then gleefully uses up one of your 5 allowable activations every time you install.

The hx750 will be approved for 3dplay if enough requests for approval are made, a simple process that I hope all one million of you will submit within the hour.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2774/kw/3D%20TV

Please, I'm emotionally needy. I need my games in 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1887 Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAefj View Post

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wn2xx62f9pgi2pv/IMG_0069.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n45ezozbvegqyut/IMG_0066.JPG
Is this a defect or am I just being picky?
Think the user Gatorboi has the same issue.
In dark scenes I see the spotlight/flashlight coming from the bottom left corner.
I have 1.5 weeks left on the 30day return window (replacement program from Sony Listens).
I have not contacted them yet, figured I'd get some advice before proceeding.

Talked to Sony, they opened up a reference number and I had to email their tv techs the pictures above.

Next they are probably going to want to come to my house and assess the situation.

Hoping that these are my options
1) Replace the set completely with a new 55HX750
2) Offer me an upgrade to the 55HX850
3) (Last resort) They order some parts and fix the current issue.

This tv has great features, design and picture. So I wouldnt mind sticking with it sans issue described above.

Thanks for your input,
Eli
post #183 of 1887 Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve ans View Post

LOL, I was wrong!

It happens to us all. wink.gif
post #184 of 1887 Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 AM

Liked: 18
@LAefj

I think its so unnecessary for them to send a "rep" out to the house to evaluate your complaint. You paid money for their warranted product, and now that it is not up to your satisfaction and all you want is an exchange for another of their products, they are going to have someone come out to, what, see if it's indeed a real issue worth exchanging? So some guy is going to come out and for 10 minutes look at something they will never have to look at ever again and could care less about, and judge whether or not you get to have a replaced set.
post #185 of 1887 Old 07-13-2012, 07:52 AM

Absolutely unreal. So i just got off the phone with the Sony rep regarding my light leakage and clouding issues (my TV looks just like LAefj's second picture he uploaded on here, but worse with light leakage at the top center of the screen) and I was told thru an obviously canned and pre written response that clouding and spotlighting is "considered normal" and not a defect and that in dark scenes this is expected. The kicker is that the only thing I mentioned to the rep was that it shows up at its worst in bright scenes with lots of color, never even mentioning dark scenes. I will be calling back this evening with better hopes for a different rep.
post #186 of 1887 Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorboi352 View Post

Absolutely unreal. So i just got off the phone with the Sony rep regarding my light leakage and clouding issues (my TV looks just like LAefj's second picture he uploaded on here, but worse with light leakage at the top center of the screen) and I was told thru an obviously canned and pre written response that clouding and spotlighting is "considered normal" and not a defect and that in dark scenes this is expected. The kicker is that the only thing I mentioned to the rep was that it shows up at its worst in bright scenes with lots of color, never even mentioning dark scenes. I will be calling back this evening with better hopes for a different rep.

Just thought I would suggest you try contacting the Sony Team on Facebook, particularly Sarah Kepler, as she seems to be the one who can get things done. Good luck.
post #187 of 1887 Old 07-13-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:

@LAefj
I think its so unnecessary for them to send a "rep" out to the house to evaluate your complaint. You paid money for their warranted product, and now that it is not up to your satisfaction and all you want is an exchange for another of their products, they are going to have someone come out to, what, see if it's indeed a real issue worth exchanging? So some guy is going to come out and for 10 minutes look at something they will never have to look at ever again and could care less about, and judge whether or not you get to have a replaced set.

Just trying to get the wheels spinning in a timely manner. So far no word on if a tech needs to come and check it out. They must be dissecting the pictures I sent them Lol.
post #188 of 1887 Old 07-15-2012, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Compare to last year NX720. Is this model an improvement ?
post #189 of 1887 Old 07-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallengt View Post

Compare to last year NX720. Is this model an improvement ?
it's 240hz so there's a good improvement there
post #190 of 1887 Old 07-16-2012, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How about picutre quality and 3D? I went to store last year and NX720 PQ was impressive but 3D was kind of disappointing ( don't quote me on this, never have a chance to get in touch with these model)
Read Cnet reviews about these 2 model but it's still confused me.
post #191 of 1887 Old 07-16-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztony View Post

Just thought I would suggest you try contacting the Sony Team on Facebook, particularly Sarah Kepler, as she seems to be the one who can get things done. Good luck.

She just contacted me back; wants to send a servicer out to my place. Sounds like I'm headed down the same road as LAefj frown.gif

I work 40 hrs/week with a 30 minute drive to my house. The only place in town I am aware of that does Sony TV repairs do not service on weekends. Scheduling a servicer to come out to look at my set seems so unnecessary given that we're talking about something that in actuality would really only be a nuance to the owner themselves. Based on the horror stories I've read on here of service reps coming out and completely dismissing/downplaying the issue, or repairing something that doesn't even need fixing or doesn't fix the original issue and I'm inclined to just "deal with it" at this point.
post #192 of 1887 Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:

She just contacted me back; wants to send a servicer out to my place. Sounds like I'm headed down the same road as LAefj frown.gif
I work 40 hrs/week with a 30 minute drive to my house. The only place in town I am aware of that does Sony TV repairs do not service on weekends. Scheduling a servicer to come out to look at my set seems so unnecessary given that we're talking about something that in actuality would really only be a nuance to the owner themselves. Based on the horror stories I've read on here of service reps coming out and completely dismissing/downplaying the issue, or repairing something that doesn't even need fixing or doesn't fix the original issue and I'm inclined to just "deal with it" at this point.

Sorry to hear you didn't get any better results. I guess you're going to have to wait and see what the service person has to say about the problem.
post #193 of 1887 Old 07-16-2012, 12:18 PM

Yeah I might as well just schedule it. I may be able to wing something on a lunch break. Hopefully the rep is as avid of a videophile as I am!
post #194 of 1887 Old 07-17-2012, 07:33 AM

Hi everyone

i'm a new (french redface.gif) owner of the Sony KDL-46HX750

Coming from a lg 47lw4500 who had a problem on the screen, my seller gave me back my money and so i picked up Sony.

I have to do a lot of tests on it but first impression, i'm a bit disappointed, i was expecting more for my first sony TV.

I tried to configure the colors, its really not easy to have a good and natural aspect,

the TV source (coming with a native 720 P signal througt HDMI is a bit smuggy..

I tried the xbox, much better (with the game scene).

Tonight i'm gonna try 3D movie and 1080 p movies smile.gif

Ive got a question, i'm really maniac/geek hereafter i just noticed 2 problems,

1: a white dot of 2 or 3 pixel appears on the top of the screen, they are not dead, just shiny....

2: there is a sort of black shadows on white screen, like clouding but on white screen

what do you think ? specially the "shiny spot"

Thanx for ur answer and sry for my english !

best

RB.
post #195 of 1887 Old 07-18-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rombel View Post

Hi everyone
i'm a new (french redface.gif) owner of the Sony KDL-46HX750
Coming from a lg 47lw4500 who had a problem on the screen, my seller gave me back my money and so i picked up Sony.
I have to do a lot of tests on it but first impression, i'm a bit disappointed, i was expecting more for my first sony TV.
I tried to configure the colors, its really not easy to have a good and natural aspect,
the TV source (coming with a native 720 P signal througt HDMI is a bit smuggy..
I tried the xbox, much better (with the game scene).
Tonight i'm gonna try 3D movie and 1080 p movies smile.gif
Ive got a question, i'm really maniac/geek hereafter i just noticed 2 problems,
1: a white dot of 2 or 3 pixel appears on the top of the screen, they are not dead, just shiny....
2: there is a sort of black shadows on white screen, like clouding but on white screen
what do you think ? specially the "shiny spot"
Thanx for ur answer and sry for my english !
best
RB.

Not sure of your shiny spots there; when you turn off the TV and look at the matte screen itself in an angle with some light, do you see any markings on the surface?

In other news I have officially sent photos/footage of my issue to Sony. Now I await the judges to bring down their ruling. Amazing to me that an exchange all comes down to whether or not the issue can be seen by them via a cell phone image. Hopefully the see things my way.
post #196 of 1887 Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM

Man I hope you guys have more luck than I did. Sony tells me based totally and 100% on my submitted cell phone camera image of the TV screen that the set is behaving as normal and they will not be taking any further action with my event work order. Amazing that they base my entire claim on a single cell phone image of a TV screen. I've heard horror stories of Sony's customer service in the past regarding their Playstation line, but this is unreal. I demanded that a servicer at the very least come out to my home in person to witness my issue, and they said they will put that request into my file to be "reviewed". I am in awe and completely regret this $1500 purchase.
post #197 of 1887 Old 07-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Man I hope you guys have more luck than I did. Sony tells me based totally and 100% on my submitted cell phone camera image of the TV screen that the set is behaving as normal and they will not be taking any further action with my event work order. Amazing that they base my entire claim on a single cell phone image of a TV screen. I've heard horror stories of Sony's customer service in the past regarding their Playstation line, but this is unreal. I demanded that a servicer at the very least come out to my home in person to witness my issue, and they said they will put that request into my file to be "reviewed". I am in awe and completely regret this $1500 purchase.

Try filing a complaint with the BBB, www.bbb.org . Most large companies will respond within a few days. Can't hurt to try is the way I feel about it. At this point you have nothing to lose.
post #198 of 1887 Old 07-19-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:

Not sure of your shiny spots there; when you turn off the TV and look at the matte screen itself in an angle with some light, do you see any markings on the surface?
In other news I have officially sent photos/footage of my issue to Sony. Now I await the judges to bring down their ruling. Amazing to me that an exchange all comes down to whether or not the issue can be seen by them via a cell phone image. Hopefully the see things my way.

nothing when its off.. i v got 3 new spot like that; my seller, Fnac is coming tomorrow to change it, i hope ill be more lucky with the new one
post #199 of 1887 Old 07-23-2012, 07:36 AM

I recently visited my cousin this past weekend and was able to view his Bravia KDL46EX640 that he purchased at the same time I bought my HX750. Lo and behold he had the exact same issue I have been describing in this thread on my TV! He was of course totally oblivious to it, as is anyone else I show it to, and I am leaning towards just dealing with it. I think it is just another one of the side effects of an edge lit LED set. It certainly doesn't help that Sony has completely dismissed my claim without second thought, and the last thing I want to do at this time is drag it out further just to get someone at my home to "pass judgement".
post #200 of 1887 Old 07-23-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

I recently visited my cousin this past weekend and was able to view his Bravia KDL46EX640 that he purchased at the same time I bought my HX750. Lo and behold he had the exact same issue I have been describing in this thread on my TV! He was of course totally oblivious to it, as is anyone else I show it to, and I am leaning towards just dealing with it. I think it is just another one of the side effects of an edge lit LED set. It certainly doesn't help that Sony has completely dismissed my claim without second thought, and the last thing I want to do at this time is drag it out further just to get someone at my home to "pass judgement".

Is your HX750 in a spot where it receives a lot of glare or direct sun light? Has is it in a darkened room?

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #201 of 1887 Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

Is your HX750 in a spot where it receives a lot of glare or direct sun light? Has is it in a darkened room?

It's in a pretty substantially darkened room at all hours. In contrast, my cousin's TV room is very well lit.

What's amazing is that Sony and Sarah Kepler got back to me today and they have officially ruled out any defect and will not pursue my case any further. It appears that how they tackle these work orders/complaints is along the lines of: if it is not visible via cellphone imagery, they will consider the TV in acceptable working order. A far cry from Verizons customer service for their $600+ phones.

Verizon: "What's the problem you are experiencing? Oh ok sorry to hear that, we will send a new device out to you, just send the old phone back in the same packaging."

Sony: "What's the problem you are experiencing? Oh, please hold while I read off this pre-written response of 'Clouding and flashlighting is a normal occurrence on LED TVs, our technicians have Identified this as normal behavior of the TV. What's that? That's unacceptable? Please submit a picture for our review (because we flat out don't believe you). Thank you for the picture, *queue canned response regarding no defect and clouding is normal"*"

Never mind that clouding isn't even why I called them in the first place. LOL oh well!
post #202 of 1887 Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have dealt with Sony before and know how they want to see the screen. If you have a 35mm DSLR or the like please take photographs of your television. If you do not have access to a digital SLR borrow one, have a friend take the photographs or if necessary use your cell phone.

Follow these directions:
  1. Ensure the television is showing its natural black background. This is a must.
  2. Ensure you are sitting directly in front of the HDTV withe the camera aimed at the center of the screen. You do not want a slanted view.
  3. Focus your camera so that the photograph shows the entire screen.
  4. Avoid a cluttered view. Take as much of a close up as possible while ensuring the image is sharp.
  5. Ensure there is enough lighting for you to take a photo without using the cameras flash.
  6. Take multiple photographs.

Post your pictures as a reply to this post or send them to me via PM. Hopefully you can provide a new photo to Sony that will prove your case.

49Merc
PeterG likes this.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
post #203 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:

I have dealt with Sony before and know how they want to see the screen. If you have a 35mm DSLR or the like please take photographs of your television. If you do not have access to a digital SLR borrow one, have a friend take the photographs or if necessary use your cell phone.
Follow these directions:
  1. Ensure the television is showing its natural black background. This is a must.
  2. Ensure you are sitting directly in front of the HDTV withe the camera aimed at the center of the screen. You do not want a slanted view.
  3. Focus your camera so that the photograph shows the entire screen.
  4. Avoid a cluttered view. Take as much of a close up as possible while ensuring the image is sharp.
  5. Ensure there is enough lighting for you to take a photo without using the cameras flash.
  6. Take multiple photographs.

Post your pictures as a reply to this post or send them to me via PM. Hopefully you can provide a new photo to Sony that will prove your case.
49Merc

Thank you for posting this.

Here is my problem though: "Ensure the television is showing its natural black background. This is a must."

Considering that piece alone, I'm already behind the 8 ball. My issue only shows up in bright(er) scenes and when the camera is panning left or right. It's almost as if the LED back lights along the top of the set "flare up" during these times and there's a bunch of uneven light dispersed vertically across the screen until the image changes or becomes still. It's really tough to describe. So what I did after explaining this 3 different times to Sony I sent them video footage of a moving scene from my cell phone best I could. I sent footage of a cable show as it is more pronounced there than on a BluRay, where a cellphone might not pick it up. At this point with the way Sony handles their TV complaints, I'm fighting quite the uphill battle I do not wish to continue.
post #204 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for posting this.
Here is my problem though: "Ensure the television is showing its natural black background. This is a must."
Considering that piece alone, I'm already behind the 8 ball. My issue only shows up in bright(er) scenes and when the camera is panning left or right. It's almost as if the LED back lights along the top of the set "flare up" during these times and there's a bunch of uneven light dispersed vertically across the screen until the image changes or becomes still. It's really tough to describe. So what I did after explaining this 3 different times to Sony I sent them video footage of a moving scene from my cell phone best I could. I sent footage of a cable show as it is more pronounced there than on a BluRay, where a cellphone might not pick it up. At this point with the way Sony handles their TV complaints, I'm fighting quite the uphill battle I do not wish to continue.

Gatorboi352, you certainly have given it your best. I respect your decision.

Best of luck,
49Merc

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #205 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 12:33 PM

We bought a KDL-46EX720 last Christmas and it's broken. It'll be replaced by the KDL-46HX750 free of charge. From what I saw, it looks a little better than the one we had but I'd like to get your comments to know if it's a good offer.
Thanks
post #206 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All around great HDTV. No problems at all so far.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #207 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaudet View Post

We bought a KDL-46EX720 last Christmas and it's broken. It'll be replaced by the KDL-46HX750 free of charge. From what I saw, it looks a little better than the one we had but I'd like to get your comments to know if it's a good offer.
Thanks

A free replacement? This TV will be a godsend for you. May I ask how your 720 broke and why you were awarded the replacement? I ask because when I purchased my 750, I also grabbed a 3 year extension on the warranty. I am curious to know how it all works.
post #208 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

All around great HDTV. No problems at all so far.

You have no issues with flashlighting and clouding?

I have been looking at this set, the HX850 and the Samsung ES6500 and ES7100. It is not just a panel lottery with Samsung, but seemingly with Sony and others.
post #209 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

You have no issues with flashlighting and clouding?
I have been looking at this set, the HX850 and the Samsung ES6500 and ES7100. It is not just a panel lottery with Samsung, but seemingly with Sony and others.

No noticeable flashlighting or clouding so far. Is a problem that develops or comes on gradually? Could reference a post showing these issues?

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #210 of 1887 Old 07-24-2012, 05:10 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:

No noticeable flashlighting or clouding so far. Is a problem that develops or comes on gradually? Could reference a post showing these issues?

Easier to reference reviews as citing other forums here is not allowed:

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-bravia-kdl-46hx753-p12951/test.html (scroll down to clouding sub-section)

http://www.avforums.com/reviews/Sony-Bravia-HX853-KDL-55HX753-46HX753-40HX753-32HX753-3D-LED-LCD-TV-Review_321/Review.html (under Picture quality 2d)

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-46hx750/4505-6482_7-35118307-2.html?tag=rvwBody;paginate to quote:

Uniformity: As an edge-lit screen, the television does have some issues with screen uniformity with lighter blotches in the corners, though less noticeable than on some recent TVs. Turning down the backlight helps a lot, but during dark movies they can become a little distracting.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Sony by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page