Official Sony KDL-46HX750 & KDL-55HX750 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1887 Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Within the next few weeks our recently purchased 2012 Sony KDL-46HX750 LED television will be delivered. This new Sony replaces our much admired 2006 KDF-46E3000.

The first question a new television owner generally asked is "Why did you select this model?". My decision came after extensive research into the good and bad of 2011 46 inch Sony's along with how Sony addressed existing issues in the development of their 2012 models. You should note that I write from a non-high tech user perspective.

I discovered 2011 Sony's already had very good to great 2D and room for improvement with 3D. For us I doubt we will rarely if ever view 3D media yet with 3D a standard feature in most models it was only prudent to research Sony's 2012 3D technological improvements. I was very happy to learn the HX750 is expected to deliver very high quality video in both dimensions.

Today's television designers have sacrificed on-board speaker quality and placement in favor of slim & trim cases. In my opinion Sony seemingly assumes their TV owners will use external audio delivery systems. I am happy to write that we already have, in my opinion, a very good external audio setup.

For those interested in detailed HX750 information check out the following link.

From Sony-
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666415284

So until our 46HX750 is up and running this is about all I have to discuss.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1887 Old 03-19-2012, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here is a link to Sony's KDL-46HX750 Manual.

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/spe...HX750_mksp.pdf

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
post #3 of 1887 Old 03-21-2012, 06:30 AM

Liked: 10
Well, I picked up and installed my 46HX750 last night and overall it's a very nice set. The menu's are slightly different, in a good way, than the HX729 was and overall performance is great. Gaming lag isn't even noticeable on "Game" mode with the panel set to "quality" which I was extremely happy to see. After adjusting all the picture settings I'm very happy with how the image looks. The 3D also seems to be much better than last year's models although honestly I will rarely ever use the 3D aspect. Now that the good stuff is out of the way, the bad part.

I'm very very annoyed to say, just like the three 46HX729's & one 46D6900WF I've had in the past 2 months, that this new one STILL has flash-lighting in the bottom corners identical to how the HX729's were. The auto back light adjust seems to do a better job than on the older models but it's still there. What's also maddening is that Sony has the same old response "Some models will be noticeably brighter in the corners, and it isn't something we repair at this time as it's normal and will fade over time". I can't understand how there can be this variance level in panel construction where the company would completely refuse to address the issue across the board. I mean...Is it just me that's seeing this? Are most people's eyes so bad that they don't notice this issue? Despite the fact that I know people with 2 year old XBR sets where this never faded away, does it really fade over time? Is there something wrong with my eyes? I'm sincerely struggling with understanding how this issue continues to plague most all LED sets I've seen(including the 2012's).

Now I'll be honest about the "problem". It's truly nitpicking and not something that most non videophiles would ever care about. The only time you see the issue come up is on sources that don't fill the screen(black bars on sides/top/bottom) and in a dark room. So if you don't do much of that sort of watching then you can probably(and should probably) just look past this issue without flinching because this is an incredibly good set.

Now the big question: Do I just deal with the things I dislike about plasmas or do I press start and begin the exchange game so to speak?
post #4 of 1887 Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomApollyon View Post

Well, I picked up and installed my 46HX750 last night and overall it's a very nice set. The menu's are slightly different, in a good way, than the HX729 was and overall performance is great. Gaming lag isn't even noticeable on "Game" mode with the panel set to "quality" which I was extremely happy to see. After adjusting all the picture settings I'm very happy with how the image looks. The 3D also seems to be much better than last year's models although honestly I will rarely ever use the 3D aspect. Now that the good stuff is out of the way, the bad part.

I'm very very annoyed to say, just like the three 46HX729's & one 46D6900WF I've had in the past 2 months, that this new one STILL has flash-lighting in the bottom corners identical to how the HX729's were. The auto back light adjust seems to do a better job than on the older models but it's still there. What's also maddening is that Sony has the same old response "Some models will be noticeably brighter in the corners, and it isn't something we repair at this time as it's normal and will fade over time". I can't understand how there can be this variance level in panel construction where the company would completely refuse to address the issue across the board. I mean...Is it just me that's seeing this? Are most people's eyes so bad that they don't notice this issue? Despite the fact that I know people with 2 year old XBR sets where this never faded away, does it really fade over time? Is there something wrong with my eyes? I'm sincerely struggling with understanding how this issue continues to plague most all LED sets I've seen(including the 2012's).

Now I'll be honest about the "problem". It's truly nitpicking and not something that most non videophiles would ever care about. The only time you see the issue come up is on sources that don't fill the screen(black bars on sides/top/bottom) and in a dark room. So if you don't do much of that sort of watching then you can probably(and should probably) just look past this issue without flinching because this is an incredibly good set.

Now the big question: Do I just deal with the things I dislike about plasmas or do I press start and begin the exchange game so to speak?

As a nit picker myself and awaiting delivery of my HX750 I would recommend on two factors. The first being the opinion of of others viewing the issue and secondly and most imortant, how much the issue continues to irritate you. If you find yourself unable to live with the fault I would recommend you play hardball with Sony Tech Support. Telling them this fault is completely disrupting my help you get a hand picked, error free HX750 or a major discount on an HX850 (assuming it does not have the same issue).

As for me, my tolarence gauge, "gulp" will be my bride of 33 years. She is a remarkable resource when it comes to AV issue tolerance. As I stated earlier I am a nit picker where as she unbiasly looks at the issues overall impact. Over the years I can't count the number of items I returned due to nit picky issues. Then along the 27th year of marriage bliss my find lady got tired of my AV rotating door attitude. It was then that she began giving me her true opinion. It is good to have a mate that enjoys your passion for AV.

I wish you the best of luck. Please, please post your followup action since I will soon have my own HX750.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #5 of 1887 Old 03-21-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post

As a nit picker myself and awaiting delivery of my HX750 I would recommend on two factors. The first being the opinion of of others viewing the issue and secondly and most imortant, how much the issue continues to irritate you. If you find yourself unable to live with the fault I would recommend you play hardball with Sony Tech Support. Telling them this fault is completely disrupting my help you get a hand picked, error free HX750 or a major discount on an HX850 (assuming it does not have the same issue).

As for me, my tolarence gauge, "gulp" will be my bride of 33 years. She is a remarkable resource when it comes to AV issue tolerance. As I stated earlier I am a nit picker where as she unbiasly looks at the issues overall impact. Over the years I can't count the number of items I returned due to nit picky issues. Then along the 27th year of marriage bliss my find lady got tired of my AV rotating door attitude. It was then that she began giving me her true opinion. It is good to have a mate that enjoys your passion for AV.

I wish you the best of luck. Please, please post your followup action since I will soon have my own HX750.

I will definitely let you know what I decide to do. I've never had any issues getting my lady's true opinion, she flat out told me I was being ridiculous and that she only even marginally noticed it when it was 2am and we were watching something with black bottom bars with all the lights off. And I have to agree with her on the fact that during the day, it's virtually invisible...but at night, my eyes seem to be constantly drawn to it. I'm not quite sure how to "turn off" my eyes being drawn down there to look at it...
post #6 of 1887 Old 03-22-2012, 10:35 AM

PhantomApollyon,

The HX750 has X-Realty and the HX729 has the X-Reality Pro.

Is the picture quality on the HX750 the same or better than the HX729?
post #7 of 1887 Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My HX750 is in Dallas and scheduled for delivery to our residence Saturday afternoon. I feel like an expectant father.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #8 of 1887 Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM

I've had mine for about two weeks now 55". I'll admit it was an impulse purchase, had a lot of Sony rewards points sitting around, so it it was only a few hundred $$$ out of pocket. At that price it was a steal. Its replacing a 50" Samsung plasma which has moved from my living room setup to do bedroom duty. I can't fully comment on it yet as I dont own calibration gear and the settings I'm using from the previous generation set don't seem ideal.

I've noticed no odd dimming effects or anything untoward in normal viewing. Have yet to watch any blurays so take it FWIW. In combo with PS3 for gaming, its does shine. So I like it, but frankly I prefer the blacks/brightness of the plasma. Hopefully we're get some better settings on this thread by those more knowledgeable than I.
post #9 of 1887 Old 03-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendshipheight View Post

PhantomApollyon,

The HX750 has X-Realty and the HX729 has the X-Reality Pro.

Is the picture quality on the HX750 the same or better than the HX729?

TO ME, after adjusting settings in Cinema mode it seems ever so slightly better than the 729 was...and I literally just owned both TV's back to back so I feel pretty confident in the response
post #10 of 1887 Old 03-24-2012, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

TO ME, after adjusting settings in Cinema mode it seems ever so slightly better than the 729 was...and I literally just owned both TV's back to back so I feel pretty confident in the response

Our new HX750 arrived and was basically installed today. We are very pleased. Since the HX750 is so new to us where and what is Cinema. Of course I will be readi a lot yet though I would get a fast start following your Cinema lead. What was the change you made to Cinema?

Thanks

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #11 of 1887 Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Within Settings I set Scene Select to Auto (24p sync) and Picture Adjustments, Picture Mode to Vivid. All I can say is "WOW"! The picture literally pops off the screen. Our TV signal comes through a Directv HD HR24 and Directv Am21n OTA receiver.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #12 of 1887 Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 PM

I'm wondering if the HX850 is worth the extra $ compared to the 750...
post #13 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM

Below are the Cinema(Scene Select) settings that I'm using these should make your picture look much more true to life and much less artificial(IMO). Also understand that depending on where you're watching this you may need to turn the backlight up and the gamma back to 0

Scene Select: Cinema

Picture Mode: Cinema2
Back light: 3
Picture: 96
Brightness: 44
Color: 56
Hue: G1
Color Temp: Warm1(you may prefer warm2 for more realistic but I don't)
Sharpness: 25
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
Cinemotion: Off

Advanced
----------

Black Corrector: Low
Adv Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: -1
Auto Light Limiter: Off
Clear White: Off
Live Color: Off
White Balance: unchanged(you can probably alter these but I didn't bother)
Detail Enchancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off
i/p conversion pref: Quality
post #14 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

To be honest, I sincerely doubt it. The 46HX729 I had the "X-reality PRO" engine and a "higher" motionflow spec and I see virtually no difference in either specification. Not to mention the fact that typically you are going to want to turn OFF the motionflow all together. The only reason you would consider the HX850 instead would be if you prefer the frame-less design & gorilla glass....and you really think it's worth the price hike. I couldn't see dropping another 400 dollars for some gorilla glass, a nicer looking frame design, and a feature I would turn off.
post #15 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Below are the Cinema(Scene Select) settings that I'm using these should make your picture look much more true to life and much less artificial(IMO). Also understand that depending on where you're watching this you may need to turn the backlight up and the gamma back to 0

Scene Select: Cinema

Picture Mode: Cinema2
Back light: 3
Picture: 96
Brightness: 44
Color: 56
Hue: G1
Color Temp: Warm1(you may prefer warm2 for more realistic but I don't)
Sharpness: 25
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Dot Noise Reduction: Off
Motionflow: Off
Cinemotion: OfI

Advanced
----------

Black Corrector: Low
Adv Contrast Enhancer: Low
Gamma: -1
Live Color: Off
White Balance: unchanged(you can probably alter these but I didn't bother)
Detail Enchancer: Off
Edge Enhancer: Off
Skin Naturalizer: Off
i/p conversion pref: Quality

Thank you. I'll try your settings.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #16 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:

I've been trying to decide the same thing, Beckler. My predicament given the looming pricing structure changes coming April 1st is whether to try and order the 55HX750 to beat the shipping deadline and lock in the current price, or wait to see the HX850 in person (hopefully sometime in April) and pray that the price on these doesn't skyrocket. The other option nagging me, if I'm going to opt up to the HX850, is whether I would be better off jumping on a discounted XBR/929 now and just be done with it. Decisions, decisions....
post #17 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:

To be honest, I sincerely doubt it. The 46HX729 I had the "X-reality PRO" engine and a "higher" motionflow spec and I see virtually no difference in either specification. Not to mention the fact that typically you are going to want to turn OFF the motionflow all together. The only reason you would consider the HX850 instead would be if you prefer the frame-less design & gorilla glass....and you really think it's worth the price hike. I couldn't see dropping another 400 dollars for some gorilla glass, a nicer looking frame design, and a feature I would turn off.

Have you compared the gorilla glass vs. matte for reflections? I think the 750 is a matte screen which I think I'd prefer, for that reason. I think glossy screens tho with their coatings are a lot better than they used to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSS View Post

I've been trying to decide the same thing, Beckler. My predicament given the looming pricing structure changes coming April 1st is whether to try and order the 55HX750 to beat the shipping deadline and lock in the current price, or wait to see the HX850 in person (hopefully sometime in April) and pray that the price on these doesn't skyrocket. The other option nagging me, if I'm going to opt up to the HX850, is whether I would be better off jumping on a discounted XBR/929 now and just be done with it. Decisions, decisions....

I haven't read about these upcoming price changes. Do you have a link? I'm in Canada but assume that would affect us too; not sure. I'm still thinking about the 929 too, but it seems unavailable here and I think I read 3D is much improved for 2012 models?
post #18 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I haven't read about these upcoming price changes. Do you have a link? I'm in Canada but assume that would affect us too; not sure. I'm still thinking about the 929 too, but it seems unavailable here and I think I read 3D is much improved for 2012 models?

wwwcbs6albanycom/news/top-stories/stories/vid_247.shtml

According to a local retailer (single-store mom&pop shop) that carries Sony and Samsung, they can still sell or order TVs at the current prices this week "as long as they ship from Sony by March 31st". Any orders that do not ship by the 31st will be cancelled and must be reordered by the retailer under the new (April 1st) price structure. Apparently Sony will be taking down their ordering system April 1st and won't be accepting new orders (or re-orders) under the new pricing until around the 4th (according to Sony's retailer announcement).

So if you want a HX750 or XBR, and want to be sure to get the current (likely lower) pricing, it sounds like time is running out. If, like me, you are waiting to take a look at the HX850 before deciding, you're stuck waiting to see what happens April 1st as both the 46" and 55" HX850 won't be available to ship until sometime after April 1st.

I suppose there could be some variation in the new pricing and or availability dates in Canada vs the US, so you might want to check Sony's CA website or check with a local retailer to be sure.
post #19 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Have you compared the gorilla glass vs. matte for reflections? I think the 750 is a matte screen which I think I'd prefer, for that reason. I think glossy screens tho with their coatings are a lot better than they used to be...

I'm back and forth on this as well. I have to deal with glare issues in my viewing room, but I know if I go with a matte screen my wife will likely make a mess of it the first time she forgets and wipes it down with a dirty dust cloth. For that reason alone, I think I'd be better off coughing up the extra coin for the HX850 or HX929 with Gorilla Glass. I wonder if they've made any improvements with the anti-reflective coating on the 2012 models?
post #20 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

To be honest, I sincerely doubt it. The 46HX729 I had the "X-reality PRO" engine and a "higher" motionflow spec and I see virtually no difference in either specification.

Just wondering, what material did you watch when making that judgment? According to the Sony web page the X-Reality Pro Engine has this description:

"X-Reality Pro gives you the smart image processing technique of X-Reality and adds an extra dimension of image clarity. It includes the Reality Creation Database that makes even standard definition movies closer to HD quality. Shapes instantly become smoother, sharper and more defined"

I.e. my interpretation is that it mainly improves lower quality material (standard definition TV, low bitrate HDTV, DVD, etc), which is quite important though since that's the content many people watch a lot of the time.

To me I have only compared the NX720 (X-Reality) and the HX820 (X-Reality Pro) in some shops. But when watching normal TV content (SD & 720p/1080i HDTV) and not Blu-ray on them, my impression was that there were more details in the picture on the HX820 while still being smooth. I'm not sure the settings were identical, but that was the impression I got at least. If so it matches the description on the Sony web page.
post #21 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:

I prefer the matte screen myself, but yea I've seen them both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

Just wondering, what material did you watch when making that judgment? According to the Sony web page the X-Reality Pro Engine has this description:

"X-Reality Pro gives you the smart image processing technique of X-Reality and adds an extra dimension of image clarity. It includes the Reality Creation Database that makes even standard definition movies closer to HD quality. Shapes instantly become smoother, sharper and more defined"

I.e. my interpretation is that it mainly improves lower quality material (standard definition TV, low bitrate HDTV, DVD, etc), which is quite important though since that's the content many people watch a lot of the time.

To me I have only compared the NX720 (X-Reality) and the HX820 (X-Reality Pro) in some shops. But when watching normal TV content (SD & 720p/1080i HDTV) and not Blu-ray on them, my impression was that there were more details in the picture on the HX820 while still being smooth. I'm not sure the settings were identical, but that was the impression I got at least. If so it matches the description on the Sony web page.

If you read one of my prior posts, I owned a HX729(XR PRO) and now the HX750(XR non-pro) and I am still watching the same content as last week I seriously think the HX750 looks better across the board and has less settings that need adjusting to get things looking right. I have watched blu-ray, old dvd's, streaming video, etc and the HX750 always looks better, to my eyes...not to mention that "Reality Creation" does exactly what it says it does and artificially augments the picture to "add details" which weren't intended to be there anyways.
post #22 of 1887 Old 03-26-2012, 11:43 PM

I'm in the process of getting my defective 60" SXRD replaced with a 55" HX750 from the Sony , what are your thoughts on the frame dimming ?? Is it that much different than the local dimming on the 2011 sets ? Or is it basically the same thing ? You think I'll miss the Extra 5" sitting anywhere from 12-15ft ? , 12 being daddy's seat ( my recliner ) ... Thanks in advance for your replies !
post #23 of 1887 Old 03-27-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrum801 View Post

I'm in the process of getting my defective 60" SXRD replaced with a 55" HX750 from the Sony , what are your thoughts on the frame dimming ?? Is it that much different than the local dimming on the 2011 sets ? Or is it basically the same thing ? You think I'll miss the Extra 5" sitting anywhere from 12-15ft ? , 12 being daddy's seat ( my recliner ) ... Thanks in advance for your replies !

I don't think the dimming is any different from the 2011 lineup at all, from what I can see. As to the drop in size, I sincerely doubt it, it's not like you're sitting 20 feet away or something like that.
post #24 of 1887 Old 03-28-2012, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

If you read one of my prior posts, I owned a HX729(XR PRO) and now the HX750(XR non-pro) and I am still watching the same content as last week I seriously think the HX750 looks better across the board and has less settings that need adjusting to get things looking right. I have watched blu-ray, old dvd's, streaming video, etc and the HX750 always looks better, to my eyes...not to mention that "Reality Creation" does exactly what it says it does and artificially augments the picture to "add details" which weren't intended to be there anyways.

Intuitively any image processing "artificially augments or modifies the picture", so it's better to skip image processing completely and stay as close to the original image as possible. However in reality it is well known that good image processing can enhance the picture dramatically.

I think it's very clear when watching low quality content on cheap low-end TVs vs on high-end TVs. And then I'm not talking about picture quality improvements on the high-end TVs resulting from higher contrast, lower black levels etc. It's just that on high-end TVs the image processing makes the picture smoother while yet retaining more details.
post #25 of 1887 Old 03-28-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post

Intuitively any image processing "artificially augments or modifies the picture", so it's better to skip image processing completely and stay as close to the original image as possible. However in reality it is well known that good image processing can enhance the picture dramatically.

I think it's very clear when watching low quality content on cheap low-end TVs vs on high-end TVs. And then I'm not talking about picture quality improvements on the high-end TVs resulting from higher contrast, lower black levels etc. It's just that on high-end TVs the image processing makes the picture smoother while yet retaining more details.

Well, imo, on my 46HX729(XRPro) I would set "reality creation" at 10/15(highest descent looking settings) for the two settings and about the only "enhancement" I saw was being able to see pores on people's faces more clearly... At the end of the day, I just turned it off as I didn't think it added anything to the content I was watching. To me it was just like the first time I watched Star Wars "remastered" on VHS and saw the CGI they added in, it didn't belong there.
post #26 of 1887 Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM

My 46 HX750 arrived this morning along with the Sony HT-CT150 (sound bar). I set it up earlier this evening and will share some of my first impressions...

First off, I'm no videophile, but I think the picture quality is incredible. A huge improvement compared to the 1080i Sony WEGA DLP that I've been using. I did notice some flash lighting in the bottom corners and in the upper left corner; however, it's very minor and I only noticed on a pure black loading screen (can't notice it during regular usage).

I'm a big gamer, so I threw in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for a couple rounds to test the television. I have to say that the saturated colors, bright backlight and sharp 1080p screen made the game feel like an almost entirely new experience. The first round reminded me of those cliche scenes in movies where someone is putting on their glasses and the screen shifts from blurry to clear. Remarkable. I'll also note that I played on the televisions standard settings... I looked for a 'game' setting, but could not find it in the menus. Does the HX750 offer such a mode? If so, where can I find it? Regardless, I did not notice any sort of input lag while playing.

Finally, the sound bar. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it offers 'Bravia Sync', where it works to unify home theater devices so that you only need one remote. Well I hooked my inputs up to the sound bar receiver/subwoofer and then connected the receiver to the television. The television automatically finds the external audio, so I'm able to control the volume with my television remote; however, I can't change the receiver inputs with my television remote. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but if it is feature that I'm able to take advantage of, then I want to be able to do it. For those of you familiar with Bravia Sync, do you understand what I'm asking? Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do? Anyway, I was very impressed with the sound bar in terms of audio quality. It produces surprisingly crisp audio with a deep bass for its small size.

All-in-all I'm very happy with both products and can not wait to spend more time with them.
post #27 of 1887 Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift900 View Post

My 46 HX750 arrived this morning along with the Sony HT-CT150 (sound bar). I set it up earlier this evening and will share some of my first impressions...

First off, I'm no videophile, but I think the picture quality is incredible. A huge improvement compared to the 1080i Sony WEGA DLP that I've been using. I did notice some flash lighting in the bottom corners and in the upper left corner; however, it's very minor and I only noticed on a pure black loading screen (can't notice it during regular usage).

I'm a big gamer, so I threw in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 for a couple rounds to test the television. I have to say that the saturated colors, bright backlight and sharp 1080p screen made the game feel like an almost entirely new experience. The first round reminded me of those cliche scenes in movies where someone is putting on their glasses and the screen shifts from blurry to clear. Remarkable. I'll also note that I played on the televisions standard settings... I looked for a 'game' setting, but could not find it in the menus. Does the HX750 offer such a mode? If so, where can I find it? Regardless, I did not notice any sort of input lag while playing.

Finally, the sound bar. One of the main reasons I bought it was because it offers 'Bravia Sync', where it works to unify home theater devices so that you only need one remote. Well I hooked my inputs up to the sound bar receiver/subwoofer and then connected the receiver to the television. The television automatically finds the external audio, so I'm able to control the volume with my television remote; however, I can't change the receiver inputs with my television remote. It's not a deal breaker by any means, but if it is feature that I'm able to take advantage of, then I want to be able to do it. For those of you familiar with Bravia Sync, do you understand what I'm asking? Is it possible to do what I'm trying to do? Anyway, I was very impressed with the sound bar in terms of audio quality. It produces surprisingly crisp audio with a deep bass for its small size.

All-in-all I'm very happy with both products and can not wait to spend more time with them.

Press scene on the remote and scroll down to Game, that is game mode.

That is how it is on my 2011 Sony at least.

Aaron
post #28 of 1887 Old 03-29-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Please tell you us if you

..have Hative On or Off
..what Resolutions you have checked
..get your video signal from a satellite, OTA only, Fiaos or cable

Thanks

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
post #29 of 1887 Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM

I can't find any sort of "scene" button on the remote, but I have been able to navigate to the picture adjustment menu. There is a "Picture Mode" setting that cycles between 'Standard', 'Vivid', and 'Custom'. I've kept it on 'Standard'.

The other settings are as follows:
Brightness: 50
Color: 60
Hue: 0
Color Temperature: Neutral
Sharpness: 65
Noise Reduction: Auto
MPEG Noise Reduction:Auto
Dot Noise Reduction: auto
Motionflow: Standard
CineMotion: Auto1

And then under advanced settings:
Black Corrector: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Gamma: 0
Live Color: Low
White Balance
Detail Enhancer: Medium
Edge Enhancer: Medium

I've only really viewed 1080p content via Netflix Streaming, Call of Duty on the 360, and Star Wars Blu on the PS3.

For future info, my television content is delivered by my local cable provider... Probably one of the worst in the nation.
post #30 of 1887 Old 03-29-2012, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Swift9000,
Scene Select setting is in the on-screen Preferences Menu.

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 3d Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 240 Hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Bravia Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 240hz 1080p 3d Led Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch Led 3d Wifi Xr480 Internet Tv , Sony Kdl46hx750 46 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv With Bdps590 3d Blu Ray , Sony Kdl55hx750 55 Inch 3d Wifi Xr 480hz Led Hdtv Bdps590 3d Wifi Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Sony by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page