Samsung brightness - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So every time I see Samsungs in the store (6000, 8000 series that I recall), they always seem about twice as bright as anything else, with bright colors too. Is this just some well known fact, and does it come at the expense of picture quality or contrast or something? Or am I just seeing things. If not, then why not automatically all get samsung?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

So every time I see Samsungs in the store (6000, 8000 series that I recall), they always seem about twice as bright as anything else, with bright colors too. Is this just some well known fact, and does it come at the expense of picture quality or contrast or something? Or am I just seeing things. If not, then why not automatically all get samsung?

Brightness isn't everything, if it looks bright in a store under heavy lighting then it will be much to bright for comfortable home use.

In store Samsung and most tvs are in shop mode/vivid mode and that has the backlight ramped up and colours to make the picture pop and attract customers. Yes generally vivid/dynamic mode for home use, will show up any uniformity defects in the screen, so edge bleed or clouding. Also it will wash out blacks on the tv making blacks look blue tinted (all of this will not be noticeable in a store under heavy lighting) Usually switching to movie mode and tweaking the backlight will bring a huge improvement over the vivid/dynamic default.

It wont cause any long term damage other than maybe wear to the backlight and extra heat build up for the internal components.

Aaron
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's always samsung, no matter what store I go to. Unless they ship with default full brightness or something. And you can't have too much brightness though. You can always turn it down. If your living room is bright from windows, then the brighter the better for your tv, I say...
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think the mistake is equating a "brighter" picture with a "better" picture. All modern LED/LCD sets are more than bright enough for home viewing. Having the brightest possible picture, I suppose, is good if you like an unnatural, washed-out looking image that blows out highlights and fine details in HD images.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

Well it's always samsung, no matter what store I go to. Unless they ship with default full brightness or something. And you can't have too much brightness though. You can always turn it down. If your living room is bright from windows, then the brighter the better for your tv, I say...

Not really sure you read my post to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I think the mistake is equating a "brighter" picture with a "better" picture. All modern LED/LCD sets are more than bright enough for home viewing. Having the brightest possible picture, I suppose, is good if you like an unnatural, washed-out looking image that blows out highlights and fine details in HD images.

Exactly, brighter isn't better when it comes to choosing an led - lcd. They have already reached a point where enough is enough ie any more is just plain excessive. Just because the Samsungs look brighter in store doesn't instantly equate to a better tv. There are many more important things to consider and some where Samsung led - lcds fall short.

Aaron
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM

Samsungs inherently also have some of the worst backlight bleeding I have ever seen on a television which is becausE of the excessive brightness....that is why I went with the Sony NX720. Plenty bright with dimming makes a great picture.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page