Samsung brightness - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Beckler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So every time I see Samsungs in the store (6000, 8000 series that I recall), they always seem about twice as bright as anything else, with bright colors too. Is this just some well known fact, and does it come at the expense of picture quality or contrast or something? Or am I just seeing things. If not, then why not automatically all get samsung?
Beckler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

So every time I see Samsungs in the store (6000, 8000 series that I recall), they always seem about twice as bright as anything else, with bright colors too. Is this just some well known fact, and does it come at the expense of picture quality or contrast or something? Or am I just seeing things. If not, then why not automatically all get samsung?

Brightness isn't everything, if it looks bright in a store under heavy lighting then it will be much to bright for comfortable home use.

In store Samsung and most tvs are in shop mode/vivid mode and that has the backlight ramped up and colours to make the picture pop and attract customers. Yes generally vivid/dynamic mode for home use, will show up any uniformity defects in the screen, so edge bleed or clouding. Also it will wash out blacks on the tv making blacks look blue tinted (all of this will not be noticeable in a store under heavy lighting) Usually switching to movie mode and tweaking the backlight will bring a huge improvement over the vivid/dynamic default.

It wont cause any long term damage other than maybe wear to the backlight and extra heat build up for the internal components.

Aaron
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Beckler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well it's always samsung, no matter what store I go to. Unless they ship with default full brightness or something. And you can't have too much brightness though. You can always turn it down. If your living room is bright from windows, then the brighter the better for your tv, I say...
Beckler is offline  
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mars
Posts: 1,328
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I think the mistake is equating a "brighter" picture with a "better" picture. All modern LED/LCD sets are more than bright enough for home viewing. Having the brightest possible picture, I suppose, is good if you like an unnatural, washed-out looking image that blows out highlights and fine details in HD images.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
HaRd2BeAr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler View Post

Well it's always samsung, no matter what store I go to. Unless they ship with default full brightness or something. And you can't have too much brightness though. You can always turn it down. If your living room is bright from windows, then the brighter the better for your tv, I say...

Not really sure you read my post to be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I think the mistake is equating a "brighter" picture with a "better" picture. All modern LED/LCD sets are more than bright enough for home viewing. Having the brightest possible picture, I suppose, is good if you like an unnatural, washed-out looking image that blows out highlights and fine details in HD images.

Exactly, brighter isn't better when it comes to choosing an led - lcd. They have already reached a point where enough is enough ie any more is just plain excessive. Just because the Samsungs look brighter in store doesn't instantly equate to a better tv. There are many more important things to consider and some where Samsung led - lcds fall short.

Aaron
HaRd2BeAr is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Member
 
jamesgsxr1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Samsungs inherently also have some of the worst backlight bleeding I have ever seen on a television which is becausE of the excessive brightness....that is why I went with the Sony NX720. Plenty bright with dimming makes a great picture.
jamesgsxr1000 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off