Old 04-08-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigslue View Post

I'm sure the passive 3D models use the LG panels. I think LG is the only company making passive 3D panels. Since LG doesn't make LCD active 3D panels then Panasonic is sure to be making the WT/DT panels. Basically thats what I understand in the video as well.

I moved on and just ordered a Panasonic 50GT50 plasma on Thursday. Going to be a super tight fit but were there's a will there's a way! Hope I don't get a buzzer! Seems there's always something to worry about with our toys!

gotta say the performance of the 50st50 at $1,200 is hard to beat...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by theanew View Post

In the video link the Panasonic rep
Specifically says the the step up top tier are Panasonic panels. I didn't hear him say anything about the passive 3d being LG, the person that says LG is the reporter.

Fact: LG is supplying both Sony and Panasonic their passive technology to cut costs. If you need links, I will provide. Right now it's morning and I need more coffee.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
Old 04-09-2012, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Alright, I did a little more research. 1 camp is saying this will be an edge lit tv with scanning backlight and local dimming. Other reports are its a full array back light with only 16 zones(w/scanning backlight and local dimming). The first reports some of us heard in Feb were that it was Full Array Backlight with no local dimming. The ET models will have LG ips panels with passive tech, while the WT and DT will have Panasonic made panels. Panny may pull a switcharoo like LG did a year ago and put passive in these models, but who knows. None of these people, including the stupid reps everyone seems to talk to, can give a straight answer. I 'm done. I do really hope this TV(WT) is a good one. I love televisions.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
so far it's all marketing hype
till someone can test DT / WT and show real numbers
BTW - Full Array LED is expensive, so many just dropped it as only a few see diff to much cheaper Edge LED with "local dimming"

I hope to see test numbers in 2 weeks for DT and may be in 6 weeks for WT - time will tell
Old 04-09-2012, 11:52 AM

Liked: 11
On the Panasonic website it says expected date for the dt and wt is May-June. (although it looks like the dt is available from other retailers right now).
Old 05-20-2012, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 204

The 47WT LED didn't look so good. On the all Black Test, the WT went to a Dark Blue screen, not Black! Calibrator mentioned the fact that when they calibrated the Model they had, it still retained the problems from last year's Panasonics.

Is there no LED Panasonic TVs available yet?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone wall mounted a WT50? Does the TV have screws in the back that you use with your mount? Does a universal mount work OK?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaBliss View Post

Has anyone wall mounted a WT50? Does the TV have screws in the back that you use with your mount? Does a universal mount work OK?

Anyone?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Are there any issues with the 47WT50? I am about to take the plunge tomorrow.
They currently have it on sale at Bestbuy...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

Are there any issues with the 47WT50? I am about to take the plunge tomorrow.
They currently have it on sale at Bestbuy...

carageuw did you end up buying this?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:

carageuw did you end up buying this?

Yes, the box is still sitting in a corner of my living room. No time to unbox it. It will probably have to wait until Friday afternoon.
If I let Geek Squad do it, installation charge is like $250, so I said nevermind, but after the weekend I still don't have time to play with it.
WP_000323.jpg 384k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_000323.jpg (383.8 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 01:28 PM

Cinema Mode looks really good, even for watching regular cable.
Standard Mode is way too bright for my tastes.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Hey guys,
I'm surprised that this thread has been so quiet compared to some of the other LCD threads for this years' models.

I have a question for you: currently we have a 42" G15 plasma, in a space where I'm limited to 44" width. If we want to move to a newer set, the 46" WT50 fits the bill, while also having high-level full-array local dimming compared to cheaper LED. If I don't care much about 3D per se, but am primarily interested in having a slightly larger display that's ISFccc capable for doing a calibration, does the WT50 have blacks that are as good as the G15, and/or other features that would give a more accurate, 24p image for BluRay and upscaled DVD from an Oppo BDP-93? And would it do a better job upscaling TiVo @ 480i and 1080i and Internet streaming than the G15?

My sense is that the WT50 has more calibration capabilities from reading through the Pro Settings in the manual, but since this is Plasma vs. LED, it may be an apples to oranges comparison.

The newer VIERA cast, Skype capability, Wifi etc. are bells and whistles, so they're not deal makers per se.

My other thought is to stay with the 42" G15 and maybe spend the money on a Lumagen Radiance Mini toward the future, when we can have the space to go to a larger display or a projector, but I think that's overkill for a 42" display.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

Old 01-14-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:

I wall mounted my TC-L55WT50 a few days ago. It has the required holes in the back covered by plastic fill-in screws that you can easily remove. The recommended depth is 6MM to 8MM so you need short bolts (I was able to use 1.5cm bolts with some washers and spacers). The mounts are VESA standard size. I used my existing hardware (which was used to mount a Samsung 46" LNT4665F TV).
Old 01-14-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrizatch View Post

I got the chance to see the WT50 the other day at the Engadget Panasonic 2012 event, I have to say i was very impressed by this TV!

I thought I was looking at a plasma for the first 10 minutes. They ran a side by side comparison with the leading Samsung LED to show the Panny running at a lower power rate. They also used colorful blu-ray images to show the off angle viewing, it was a shocking difference, the colors were spot on at even extreme angles and the screen uniformity was excellent. I'm still the lucky owner of a Samsung b8500, this is one of the first LED's I've seen that would make me consider upgrading.

I wall mounted my TC-L55WT50 a few days ago and am impressed by the viewing angle. I tend to sit to one side of the room so that I can be closer to the TV. Picture quality is just as clear even from very extreme angles .. even 3D did not suffer. The only complaint I have about this TV is that you have to tune it a lot to get good black levels (without washing out detail). It is a very capable TV with some small quirks that but they are all eventually fixable with some tweaking. Display settings for this TV can be configured over WiFi using Calman 5 software!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:26 PM

Just got my TC-L55WT50 setup.. I know I am a little late to the party, but here are my impressions.

First, I had a LG 55LM7600 that I COULD. NOT. STAND. - the quality of that panel was just plain bad, in my opinion. I had some of the worst flashlighting / backlight bleeding I've ever seen, this was after a replacement, too!

So, I ended up returning it for the sale price of $800 and threw that toward the TC-L55WT50. I was able to find this bad boy for $1400 at a local bestbuy. I went in to look at the vizio e601i-a3 which was $899, but I couldn't get passed the poor contrast on it.

I was looking at this TC WT50 thinking it was a plasma.. I had never heard of this model but I was completely blown away by it looking at it hanging in bestbuy. The sales guy said it was LED, I thought he was wrong and just ignored him thinking that.

Took me a while to get the settings just right, but now that I have, it's incredible.

I took some photos from my iphone.. probably not the best, but here they are.

http://i.imgur.com/49S5ERM.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/JBQbJWI.jpg

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc L55wt50