(IMG inside)Decided on LG 42LK520, please advise in mounting, set up, and accessories - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've decided that I will probably be going with the 42" LG 42LK520 as it seems to be the best option for my room size, uses, and budget.

I want to mount the TV on my wall and move it on an angle to get optimal viewing angle from my bed (as shown in the picture). I have a power outlet lower down from where the TV will be mounted. I will probably be connecting a DVD (and possibly later a BR) player and most importantly, my laptop, which sits on my desk, to where I want to run an HDMI cable over or below my door. Everything is shown in the image below.

I am a first timer at this. Please help me figure out what other accessories/tools/cables etc. I will need to purchase and what I will need to do to get this all set up nicely. All pictures are below:

Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-18-2012, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

I really need to figure this out so I can order everything else with the TV.... bump
post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

Really... no one can help me with this simple question??
post #4 of 9 Old 03-19-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Personally I'd place the tv where the desk is. That way you're looking at it straight on instead of at an angle. You'll probably be running about 20' of HDMI cable no matter where you hang your tv so certified High Speed cable is what you'll need (don't need to pay Monster prices either). Depending on what kind of laptop you have (graphics card) you shouldn't have any problems. We have a MacBookPro and it was as simple as running a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to the 47LD520 (HDMI input 3) when ever we wanted to connect the laptop (my son usually did it for homework cause it was cool to do his homework on a 47" screen).You'll be disappointed with the sound though unless you run it thru an AVR. I have the LD520 and found the tv speakers sounded very thin (and the best you can get from the tv speakers is stereo regardless of the source) until I installed a HTS. Also, I'd save up a bit and get a BD player, instead of a DVD now and BD later, with built-in WiFi/ethernet. You can pick up a very nice BD player for less than $200. My 520 is on a media console, not wall mounted, so I can't help you with the wall mount. You'll also want to calibrate your 520 because it has a rather extensive set of calibration options available to the user (no need to get into the service menu) by either doing a Accurate Picture Adjustment with a cal disk or actually using meters in conjunction with a cal disk.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

Wow Otto Pylot, quiet the detailed answer, and I thank you for it. Kind of technical for me at some parts.

The reason I can't place my TV where the Desk is, and yes I have thought about it, is because my laptop and the setup around it is on the desk, and I plan to mount a 23" monitor for my laptop (not gonna use the TV because of low resolution for the size for gaming) on that wall.... though maybe I should just stand it on desk and mount the flat screen on top there hmmmmm.....
I've read that the best place to buy accessories is on Monoprice.com .

HDMI cable - I realized already I'm probably going need a 20ft+ HDMI cable to run from my laptop area to the TV. My laptop has an HDMI slot and it seems standard size, though not sure, how can I find out? Also, which type of HDMI cable is best to buy in my scenario, you said "certified High Speed cable", here there are so many different types http://www.monoprice.com/products/de...t.asp?c_id=102

I have the Lenovo Y560P that I bought a year ago.

I've heard mixed reviews on the LK520's speakers, but I have no idea what "AVR" or "HTS" is, sorry.

I already have an older DVD player, and later I will invest in a BD. I mostly watch Large Blue Ray rips that I have on my laptop.

Gotcha on the mounting, yeah I gotta figure out the wall mount myself.

Regarding calibration, I will refer back to the forum when I get the TV, but thanks for that too
post #6 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

AVR is Audio Video Receiver. The basic component of an HTS (Home Theater System). Basically you run your various components (BD-DVD, PS3, what ever) thru the HTS to give you exceptional sound (certainly a hell of a lot better than the tv speakers) and then the video out to the tv.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Oh ok I gotcha.

Can you please address my other questions/comments? It would be of much help
post #8 of 9 Old 03-21-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

A certified High Speed HDMI cable (Monoprice, Mediabridge, BlueJeans, etc) will be more than adequate for your cable needs. Don't worry about with or without ethernet because there aren't any consumer products that have the ethernet over HDMI capability that I'm aware of. Certification is important because it means that the specific cable that you purchase has been tested and certified to meet High Speed specs for that cable length. Be careful though if you lay the cable around the door frame and around the bookcase to your tv because you don't want to bend it unnecessarily. The graphics card in your PC (as well as the HDMI hardware version for your HDMI output) is important as well because not all play nicely with tv's. By that I mean that they could get out of sync for all kinds of technical reasons which may affect your viewing experience. Unfortunately I can't help you with that because I rarely use my laptop with my LG. However, when I've done so there weren't any issues at all so I guess I'm lucky (MacBookPro with HD graphics, mini-HDMI to HDMI). FWIW, I use MediaBridge HDMI cables but the folks at Monoprice support are very knowledgeable and helpful so if you're still confused, give them a call.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Personally I'd place the tv where the desk is. That way you're looking at it straight on instead of at an angle. You'll probably be running about 20' of HDMI cable no matter where you hang your tv so certified High Speed cable is what you'll need (don't need to pay Monster prices either). Depending on what kind of laptop you have (graphics card) you shouldn't have any problems. We have a MacBookPro and it was as simple as running a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable to the 47LD520 (HDMI input 3) when ever we wanted to connect the laptop (my son usually did it for homework cause it was cool to do his homework on a 47" screen).You'll be disappointed with the sound though unless you run it thru an AVR. I have the LD520 and found the tv speakers sounded very thin (and the best you can get from the tv speakers is stereo regardless of the source) until I installed a HTS. Also, I'd save up a bit and get a BD player, instead of a DVD now and BD later, with built-in WiFi/ethernet. You can pick up a very nice BD player for less than $200. My 520 is on a media console, not wall mounted, so I can't help you with the wall mount. You'll also want to calibrate your 520 because it has a rather extensive set of calibration options available to the user (no need to get into the service menu) by either doing a Accurate Picture Adjustment with a cal disk or actually using meters in conjunction with a cal disk.

I've bought the 42LK520!!!! Got it on Wednesday for my B-Day! I see what you mean about the "extensive set of calibration options" (I hope by this you mean the menu where I can change picture/audio settings etc.). I don't even know what to touch and what not to touch. What is this adjustment and cal disk you are talking about?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page