Best way to clean Sony LCD? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question: what is the necessity of cleaning dust off an LCD screen? I ask because the room mine is in can get pretty dusty and if I get close to the screen (say, a foot) I can notice tiny little particles on it. But from normal viewing distance I can't see anything but a nice black screen, so I feel like it's not warranted to wipe it. Is this okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I'm guessing none of us care IF you clean your screen or not. The original question was HOW to clean it.
post #33 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
To be honest, I rarely need to clean my LCD panel. When we do weekly housework, I just use my wife's Swifter Sweeper Refill to gently dust my screen while I'm dusting the media console etc. LCD panels are not like the old CRTs where they get really dusty due to static charge on the panel. I may dust my LCD panel once or twice a month. If you live in a smokey environment, that's a different story.
post #34 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

To be honest, I rarely need to clean my LCD panel. When we do weekly housework, I just use my wife's Swifter Sweeper Refill to gently dust my screen while I'm dusting the media console etc. LCD panels are not like the old CRTs where they get really dusty due to static charge on the panel. I may dust my LCD panel once or twice a month. If you live in a smokey environment, that's a different story.

Same here. I have my own swifter in a drawer with a a clean spare. Just a few quick easy back and forth swipes and the dust gets picked up off the TV screen. I only use my swifter for the TV screens. Been using them on my Mitsubishi for almost 5 years now. I only had to use water twice when some smudges appeared on the edge of the screen from "visitors".
post #35 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 208
So, is there something different about Sony LCD panels that there really needs to be a separate thread about cleaning them? Am I missing something here?
post #36 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

So, is there something different about Sony LCD panels that there really needs to be a separate thread about cleaning them? Am I missing something here?

I don't think so. The OP just happened to have a Zony. As you may have read in the thread, this issue comes up fairly often. You do have to be careful not to use things like Windex on the plastic or coated screens of new flat screen TVs.

Even RPTVs from years back could be ruined with things like Windex, Pledge, and other cleaning products.
post #37 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 07:49 PM

I use distilled water when my son puts his fingers on the frame.
post #38 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim View Post

I'm guessing none of us care IF you clean your screen or not. The original question was HOW to clean it.

Yep. Hell, if he wants to clean it with Windex, Pledge, what ever he chooses, or nothing at all, I say go for it. It's his tv not mine
post #39 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep. Hell, if he wants to clean it with Windex, Pledge, what ever he chooses, or nothing at all, I say go for it. It's his tv not mine

I kinda like the high pressure window washer suggestion.
post #40 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
True story, though a little OT:

My first HD set, a Sony KP57HW40 crt-based rptv had a nice anti-reflective coating on the screen. The first time I tried to clean it I used plain purified water and a soft cloth.
To my horror there was horrible streaking. Turns out the anti-reflective coating on those sets was water-soluble. I went ahead and kept "cleaning" until all the coating was removed to get rid of the streaking.

Steve S.
post #41 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

True story, though a little OT:

My first HD set, a Sony KP57HW40 crt-based rptv had a nice anti-reflective coating on the screen. The first time I tried to clean it I used plain purified water and a soft cloth.
To my horror there was horrible streaking. Turns out the anti-reflective coating on those sets was water-soluble. I went ahead and kept "cleaning" until all the coating was removed to get rid of the streaking.

Isn't it amazing the things we did when we were "young & dumb" (or perhaps I should say "younger & dumber").
post #42 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I kinda like the high pressure window washer suggestion.

That's true. If it can take off grunge etc from windows (and the sides of houses) it can certainly handle smudges and "peanut butter" finger prints
post #43 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Advanced Member

I loved how Sony put the glass on my NX810, that way I don't have to worry about the pressure I apply or any water/chemical damage that can penetrate.
post #44 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

So do you just use the Swiffer Sweeper cloths by themselves, or on the actual device? Sorry if it's a stupid question.
post #45 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerick99 View Post

So do you just use the Swiffer Sweeper cloths by themselves, or on the actual device? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

There are actually a couple different Swifter and "Swifter-like" products. I use on ealso and it is a dual sided slide on mop'like affair, that has two sides. I also bought another brand that is just one sided. It comes with a blue folding handle.

The important thing is to use it only for the TV screen so no oil or other contaminants from furniture get on the Swifter. Also, I always shake the dust off outside after each use and rub it a bit up and down with my hand to remove as much dust as possible.
post #46 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 08:23 PM

I have one of these wicked cloths which just uses water. It leaves a heap of streaks, but when the water dries. Poof! They're gone. Its some form of microfibre cloth, rather expensive but well worth it.
post #47 of 49 Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerick99 View Post

It's a box of refills so I just grab a clean one and gently wipe off the dust on my screen by hand. Once I'm done with the tv, I just dust the rest of the room. Swifter Sweepers, unscented, dry refills. Once or twice a month.
post #48 of 49 Old 03-25-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:

Isn't it amazing the things we did when we were "young & dumb" (or perhaps I should say "younger & dumber").

Well, not that dumb--the owner's manual said to use a soft cloth moistened with distilled water to clean the screen. Apparently whoever wrote the manual didn't know the anti-glare treatment was water soluble.

The picture was unaffected, just had make some adjustments to room lamp placement.

Steve S.
post #49 of 49 Old 03-25-2012, 09:20 AM

Liked: 12
One of the reasons i chose a newer sony, the gorilla glass is super easy to clean.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page