Best way to clean Sony LCD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I always thought using the cleaning solution for eye glasses and a microfiber cloth was the best way? Any different options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 08:58 AM
EG3

Liked: 17
That's what I use. I get my cleaning solution from Walmart Vision Center. It is made by Hilco and is an alcohol free AR formula. You can use it on the entire tv (screen, bezel, stand).
CAUTION: Do not let the solution run down between the bezel and screen. This can permanently damage the panel electronics. The best way to avoid this is to spray the cloth, not the tv.
post #3 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 220
This question comes up from time to time and the best answer is always the same. Use a clean micofiber cloth with distilled water. Period. If the panel has smudges on it, you can warm up the distilled water a bit and rub, very gently. I prefer not to use any type of cleaning compound on my panel because you never know how it will react with the surface coatings over time. Eye glass cleaning solution is possibly the safest but it's still chemical-based.
post #4 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 11:15 AM
EG3

Water is a chemical too.
post #5 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG3 View Post

Water is a chemical too.

Actually no. Water is a solvent with no reactive groups and the distillation process removes minerals that may damage or adhere to treated glass surfaces.
post #6 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 01:53 PM
EG3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Actually no. Water is a solvent with no reactive groups and the distillation process removes minerals that may damage or adhere to treated glass surfaces.

Actually yes, it is.
Saying it is a solvent (which it is sometimes called the 'universal solvent'), does nothing but imply that it is indeed a chemical.

Water (Dihydrogen monoxide), is a chemical compound, in which one molecule consist of two Hydrogen atoms and one Oxygen atom covalently bonded.

Everything that has mass and takes up space is chemical.
Dihydrogen monoxide has a listing in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).
post #7 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

Actually yes, it is.
Saying it is a solvent (which it is sometimes called the 'universal solvent'), does nothing but imply that it is indeed a chemical.

Water (Dihydrogen monoxide), is a chemical compound, in which one molecule consist of two Hydrogen atoms and one Oxygen atom covalently bonded.

Everything that has mass and takes up space is chemical.
Dihydrogen monoxide has a listing in the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet).

the point Otto's trying to make is distilled water has nothing in it that can harm the screen coating nor the bezel
post #8 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 81
From about.com Chemical:

Everything is a chemical. Longer answer: Chemistry is the study of matter and its interactions with other matter. Anything made of matter is therefore a chemical. Any liquid, solid, gas. Any pure substance; any mixture. Water is a chemical. Technically speaking, so is a chunk of your computer. A chemical can often be broken down into components, as is true with your computer. However, people generally use the term 'chemical' to refer to a substance that appears homogeneous or the same throughout its structure.

Otto is still right in that the best way to clean an LCD screen is distilled water and a microfiber cloth. The cloth should just be damp enough to clean the screen but not so wet that the water run down the screen and under the bezel. A little goes a long way.
post #9 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM
EG3

Ok, I get that. Water is good. Personally, and professionally, I like to use my lens cleaner. I use it on plasma, lcd, dlp, and all optics associated with them.
The most important point I was trying to make was: Don't let the liquid run down the screen and into the panel.
Here are some pictures that show the unfortunate damage (corrosion) to panel ribbon connections as a result of improper cleaning of the screen.

The first pic is the damaged ribbon connector. The second is the panel frame where the liquid collected. The third is an undamaged connection.

These were from a Samsung UN55B8000XFZA
LL
LL
LL
post #10 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

The easiest way to prevent the liquid from running down the screen is to spray it onto the cloth (wet the cloth) rather than spray it directly onto the screen.
post #11 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM
EG3

Try cleaning a smoke-filmed mirror or large panel with water. I guess it can be done but you will be there a while and use a ton of cloths.

post #12 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM
EG3

We seem to be on a roll here ranting about cleaners. I could argue this all day. The point is I don't really care. I repair televisions for a living. I like my cleaner. If someone likes something else, that's fine too. If they screw it up, I get paid.
Damn, I seem to be getting cynical and jaded in my older age.
post #13 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I think water and a microfiber cloth is the best bet...I recently used the monster screenclean on the provided cloth on my glossy LCD and it's smudged to hell. I tried distilled water to remove the smudges to no avail. I used to use the rocketfish solution on the screen all the time with no problems. *shrug*

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #14 of 49 Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We seem to be on a roll here ranting about cleaners. I could argue this all day. The point is I don't really care. I repair televisions for a living. I like my cleaner. If someone likes something else, that's fine too. If they screw it up, I get paid.
Damn, I seem to be getting cynical and jaded in my older age.

No rant/roll here. Everybody has their preferences based on experience so to each his own. Apparently though you haven't been around here long enough to see the posts about panels getting smeared etc from folks using some of the commercial panel cleaners (which contain harsh chemicals). In an extreme situation I could possibly see using a commercial cleaner, but for everyday use, no way. You repair televisions for a living?
post #15 of 49 Old 03-21-2012, 03:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

. . . panels getting smeared etc from folks using some of the commercial panel cleaners . . .

Which ones?
post #16 of 49 Old 03-21-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John4721 View Post

Which ones?

Did you read post #13 above?
post #17 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Did you read post #13 above?

Quote:

. . . panels getting smeared etc from folks using some of the commercial panel cleaners . . .

Did you mean to suggest that Monster screen clean was the only one, then?
post #18 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 02:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I have been using ScreenDRx for a while now on all my displays and it works great, no residue, no smudges, no discoloration at all and once cleaned the screens look new again.

Distilled water works as well and I would suggest using it in a fine mist spray bottle to wet the microfiber cloth (never saturate the cleaning cloth).

Jason
post #19 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Every time one of these threads pops up they ALL READ THE SAME WAY, someone suggest distilled water followed by "well screen cleaner X works for me"...distilled water works fine and it's the no brainer safe choice. There are screen cleaning solutions that also work you just have to be careful and know you can trust the one you are using. I can't believe these threads always turn into a debate, it's not splitting the atom, it's cleaning a TV screen.
post #20 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 07:44 AM

Distilled water + microfiber
post #21 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegladiator75 View Post

Distilled water + microfiber

Wow, thanks.
post #22 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

This topic is over, for now. But wait kids, you will see it come back in about 2 months Stay tuned.
post #23 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Not that anyone cares here, but I found my rocketfish solution and tried some and my LCD is good as new again, no unsightly smearing. Guess you just never know how a cleaner will react with your panel

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #24 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

This topic is over, for now. But wait kids, you will see it come back in about 2 months Stay tuned.

maybe sooner
post #25 of 49 Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

Not that anyone cares here, but I found my rocketfish solution and tried some and my LCD is good as new again, no unsightly smearing. Guess you just never know how a cleaner will react with your panel

Agreed. But one last time, the only 100% SAFE screen cleaner is a clean microfiber cloth dampened with distilled water (warmed if necessary). If that doesn't work, then test a few commercial ones, but there's no guarantee that there won't be problems over time with repeated use. Of course, there's always the story about the owner who's housekeeper cleaned his plasma screen with Windex, which peeled of the protective coating
post #26 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's an idea...combine 3 or 4 of the 30 or so, "how to clean my screen" threads and make them into a sticky.
post #27 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 10:42 AM

Liked: 23
Surely there must be a vendor here on AVS that markets a cleaner that "meets and exceeds all video screen cleaning science". There seems to be products for about everything else.

You know.. . the kind of product that appeals to folks that only accept things like hyper speed HDMI cables, and advanced nanonuclear video calibration devices, and super-sonic neolythic speaker construction.

And if there isn't. . . Well,, hey maybe I should be "The Guy"! _ _ _Let's see. . . .some ultra distilled D2O, polymer-free non-glychol isoanylated cohesive metaphenols. And throw in some organic botanical extracts grown only on the ISS in zero G.

Taking orders now and only $475 for 2ml. . . . but wait! Order now and get 2 plus a free nanofiber cloth!
post #28 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topr View Post

Here's an idea...combine 3 or 4 of the 30 or so, "how to clean my screen" threads and make them into a sticky.

or you could just combine all of the recomended screen clean substances and make a sticky solution
post #29 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase700B View Post

Surely there must be a vendor here on AVS that markets a cleaner that "meets and exceeds all video screen cleaning science". There seems to be products for about everything else.

You know.. . the kind of product that appeals to folks that only accept things like hyper speed HDMI cables, and advanced nanonuclear video calibration devices, and super-sonic neolythic speaker construction.

And if there isn't. . . Well,, hey maybe I should be "The Guy"! _ _ _Let's see. . . .some ultra distilled D2O, polymer-free non-glychol isoanylated cohesive metaphenols. And throw in some organic botanical extracts grown only on the ISS in zero G.

Taking orders now and only $475 for 2ml. . . . but wait! Order now and get 2 plus a free nanofiber cloth!

do you have any samples that you can let me try?

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #30 of 49 Old 03-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by airgas1998 View Post

do you have any samples that you can let me try?

X Ave. ?

I do! And I will be glad to supply a sample. All you need to do is supply me with your credentials to handle nuclear material from the NRC. . . Oh, and I also offer training to obtain NRC certification!

Apply now for special Spring rates!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page