Samsung d5000 and EH5000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you guys think the low input lag of the last samsung tv D5000 will be the same on the 2012 EH5000 or could it be a lot higher?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 08:47 AM

I am wondering the same myself. I am buying a 32" LED tommorrow for gaming and pretty much narrowed it down the to the 32D5000 for it's low input lag or either the new EH5000 which is replacing it or possibly the Panasonic E5. I will probably go with the D5000 as it's discounted now and is a known quantity with regards to gaming performance.

One things for sure, the spec on the EH5000 sucks. Only 2 HDMI, the panel is twice as thick as the outgoing D5000 (on the back at least), and it doesn't support the clearmotion rate 100 which the D5000 has. It also has the same wide colour enhancer plus the D5000 has so nothing new there. It really seems Samsung scaled back on the few features the D5000 had. They did add an onboard surge protector to the EH5000 though. Maybe that's the reason for the thicker bezel as is has nothing to do with enhancing the speakers since the EH500 still has the same downfiring speakers the D5000 has.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:05 PM

I saw the EH5000 on display in store. It looks very good. The panel is thicker because it's no longer uses edge-lit leds, and because its no longer edge-lit, there's no edge led bleeding. I want to buy this TV for PC gaming (mostly FPS), but I'm skeptical of the input lag. I haven't found a site that has posted input lag numbers for this model. From what I can tell its, a combination of things like the panel type and motion processing that adds to the input lag, so if its the same type of panel the numbers, in theory, should be similar to last year's model, but I would hold off until someone tests this unit.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just picked up a new Samsung UN32EH4000 32" LED from Best Buy yesterday for one of my spare bedrooms.

The new Samsung EH4000 and EH5000 are thicker in size than before because Samsung wanted to improve the built-in speaker sound quality that many people complained of last year. The new ones are definitely much improved versus the ones from last year. However, the new ones use the jog-shuttle power/menu buttons, underneath the right side, and it can be difficult to use sometimes.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:16 AM

I'm torn between the EH5000 and Panasonic E5 for a TV (not monitor.)

I haven't seen either in stores near me, so can anyone attest to the black levels of the EH5000? Also is it an IPS panel? The Samsung site doesn't seem to have this information.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMachoMan View Post

I'm torn between the EH5000 and Panasonic E5 for a TV (not monitor.)

I haven't seen either in stores near me, so can anyone attest to the black levels of the EH5000? Also is it an IPS panel? The Samsung site doesn't seem to have this information.

It's not an IPS panel. There's a fairly comprehensive review (including black level and contrast data) of the EH5000 here:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

That reviewer likes this TV, as do I. I have the 40" model in my bedroom, where it fits nicely in an armoire, thanks to the thin 1/2" bezel.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post

It's not an IPS panel. There's a fairly comprehensive review (including black level and contrast data) of the EH5000 here:

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm

That reviewer likes this TV, as do I. I have the 40" model in my bedroom, where it fits nicely in an armoire, thanks to the thin 1/2" bezel.

Thanks. I actually did see that review previously. Maybe I'm getting swept up in the marketing, but the Panasonic technology seems really good now, and it has more HDMI (I would like 3 as opposed to Samsung's 2 but it's not a deal breaker) and the internet (again, not a deal breaker.)

I guess one could argue that if the price is around the same, the one with less features may have better parts to justify the higher price per feature. Of course one could argue that for around the same price just go with the one with more features. I swear I drive myself mad with these decisions... but then again I guess that's why we're all here!
Old 04-06-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks. I actually did see that review previously. Maybe I'm getting swept up in the marketing, but the Panasonic technology seems really good now, and it has more HDMI (I would like 3 as opposed to Samsung's 2 but it's not a deal breaker) and the internet (again, not a deal breaker.)

Samsung's EH5300 has 3 HDMI ports and is a Smart TV.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEdortheHighway View Post

Doesn't look like it's out yet, and the pre-order pricing is around 10% more than what I was looking to spend. I'll read up about it though and try to find out when it'll actually be for sale. Thanks for the tip.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I actually had the EH5300 briefly (I'm as OCD as the rest of us here--thank God for Amazon's 30-day free return policy ), and didn't like the PQ as much. I didn't spend a lot of time playing around with it, but its menu is completely different from the EH5000 and EH6000 because of the internet functions, and I didn't like the presets--with some minor adjustments--as much as I did on the EH5000. Also, it apparently has a different panel than the EH5000 and EH6000--the EH5300 was labeled as Version TH01, whereas the EH5000and EH6000 were both labeled as Version TS02. The screen surface of the EH5300 also looked just a tiny bit more matte than that of the EH5000 and EH6000. Others who spend more time in the weeds calibrating their TVs might feel differently, but for my purposes, the EH5000 PQ and interface were preferable.

Additionally, I wasn't a big fan of the Samsung internet interface, as it devotes a lot of space to home networking functions such as sharing video and photos from a pc, versus just displaying internet apps. I have a Roku hooked up to my EH5000, which for me is a simpler and more elegant internet solution, and if I ever find that I need more HDMI connectivity (I have a Comcast hi-def box connected to the other HDMI port), I can pick up an HDMI switcher from Monoprice (I just got a 4x1 HDMI switcher from Monoprice--for under $30 delivered--for another TV in my house, and it works perfectly).
Old 04-06-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Doesn't look like it's out yet, and the pre-order pricing is around 10% more than what I was looking to spend. I'll read up about it though and try to find out when it'll actually be for sale. Thanks for the tip.

It's currently in stock here (from/to which I've already bought/returned one ):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 04-07-2012, 04:39 PM

Liked: 15
Has motion improved when compared to the older D5000 series?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Change my mind...I decided to return it because the Samsung brand name bothers me a lot, and I have no respect with them at all. I already went through three defective Samsung LCD panels in the past. I think that good-look impulsed me to buy it, which was bad behavior of me.

I'm looking into possibly getting the 46" Samsung 46ES6500, but like you i'm a bit leary, i would get a Sony but i hear they have some huge uniformity problems of late even the new models.

Still up in the air of what to get.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

I'm looking into possibly getting the 46" Samsung 46ES6500, but like you i'm a bit leary, i would get a Sony but i hear they have some huge uniformity problems of late even the new models.

Have you checked out LG? LG has fewer problems reported than Samsung so far.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Have you checked out LG? LG has fewer problems reported than Samsung so far.

Too expensive, and after reading the LG 6700 thread turned me off a bit.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

I can tell you first hand that's definitely true. I currently have an EX640 that I will be exchanging for an ES6100. The uniformity on the Sony sets in unacceptable.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSW2012 View Post

I can tell you first hand that's definitely true. I currently have an EX640 that I will be exchanging for an ES6100. The uniformity on the Sony sets in unacceptable.

It's posts like yours that are very usefull to people like me, looking to get a particular tv. And the more hands on experiance from others the better.

So the tv search of mine still continues.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post

I actually had the EH5300 briefly (I'm as OCD as the rest of us here--thank God for Amazon's 30-day free return policy ), and didn't like the PQ as much. I didn't spend a lot of time playing around with it, but its menu is completely different from the EH5000 and EH6000 because of the internet functions, and I didn't like the presets--with some minor adjustments--as much as I did on the EH5000. Also, it apparently has a different panel than the EH5000 and EH6000--the EH5300 was labeled as Version TH01, whereas the EH5000and EH6000 were both labeled as Version TS02. The screen surface of the EH5300 also looked just a tiny bit more matte than that of the EH5000 and EH6000. Others who spend more time in the weeds calibrating their TVs might feel differently, but for my purposes, the EH5000 PQ and interface were preferable.

Additionally, I wasn't a big fan of the Samsung internet interface, as it devotes a lot of space to home networking functions such as sharing video and photos from a pc, versus just displaying internet apps. I have a Roku hooked up to my EH5000, which for me is a simpler and more elegant internet solution, and if I ever find that I need more HDMI connectivity (I have a Comcast hi-def box connected to the other HDMI port), I can pick up an HDMI switcher from Monoprice (I just got a 4x1 HDMI switcher from Monoprice--for under $30 delivered--for another TV in my house, and it works perfectly).

I got the 32" 5300 and so far I am only using the movie mode; the other modes are so saturated they are unwatchable. If I put Leno on, the colors of the curtains are so dark and crushed, it's terrible. Maybe when watching a baseball game it would be ok. I need to try a calibration disc on it. How much difference ws it from the 5000? I just figured for $30 more I'd get the internet functions but not sure how much I'd really use them. I have a tivo attached so alot of the apps are common, at least the ones I'd use.

Phil Tomaskovic
Old 04-17-2012, 11:21 AM

I've read on a overclockers.net that the panel is 2.1ms response time as compared to the 8ms on the D5000, it is still edge lit with a slightly better build quality enclosed in a thicker frame for easier manufacturing and better heat dissipation. I too am interested in using this as my PC monitor.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

I've read on a overclockers.net that the panel is 2.1ms response time as compared to the 8ms on the D5000, it is still edge lit with a slightly better build quality enclosed in a thicker frame for easier manufacturing and better heat dissipation. I too am interested in using this as my PC monitor.

The EH series are all direct lit "Full Array" LED backlight tvs. They are NOT "Edge Lit". The thickness is from the LEDs being placed directly behind the screen as opposed being placed on the sides.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The EH series are all direct lit "Full Array" LED backlight tvs. They are NOT "Edge Lit". The thickness is from the LEDs being placed directly behind the screen as opposed being placed on the sides.

Is this better or worse, and did Samsung do the right thing putting "full-array" LED backlight this year for most LED models?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I havent found anything that proves or disproves this but if this is true, I wonder how many LED's they are using and this should eliminate backlight bleeding or push it down to an extreme minimum. Wondering how good this performs as a PC monitor as compared to a 3 year old 22" TN monitor.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

I havent found anything that proves or disproves this but if this is true, I wonder how many LED's they are using and this should eliminate backlight bleeding or push it down to an extreme minimum. Wondering how good this performs as a PC monitor as compared to a 3 year old 22" TN monitor.

Samsung, as per the referenced twice article are using fewer LEDs in the EH line than past years "Full Array" models.

Listed under "Type" for backlighting you'll see "Full Array" listed on the cnet.com comparison table for 2012 tv models in the section for the various UN**EH**** series:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US&gid=9

"All of the EH models use a so-called full array LED mounting system, where LEDs are positioned all the way across the LCD panel back plane. This has traditionally been positioned by Samsung and others as a superior form LED technology. But Das said to reduce the price, the new sets use fewer LEDs than earlier full-array models (the company is not disclosing exactly how many LEDs or how many sectors of LEDs are employed)."

source: http://www.twice.com/article/481455-...CD_TV_Line.php
Old 04-17-2012, 10:47 PM

I hope the 32EH5000 is as good as the 40EH5000 and generally great for PC use.

EDIT:

How about backlight bleeding, is it still expected on this full array ?
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 AM

Liked: 15
Can someone do an input lag test?
Old 04-23-2012, 02:48 AM

I had 40EH5000 for PC use for a few weeks. My thoughts:

Input lag is fairly low, I would say around 25ms (from experience of using many different LCDs).
There is 4:4:4 support.
Screen uniformity is great when black, not so great when white. Corners are dimmer when bright content is shown, so very noticeable in windows environment and might drive you crazy (all EH**** models that i saw had this issue).
It's MVA panel so ghosting of dark pixels is pretty bad.

I got rid of it because of dark ghosting and dimmer corners, good screen otherwise.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Are there any special settings for 4:4:4 support on the EH5000?
Also where did you get the infor that its an MVA panel ?
Old 06-14-2012, 03:09 PM

I'm contemplating on purchasing a 40'' eh5000. It will cost me 400 euros. I'm a student so this is my maximum budget. Is this the best TV at this price range?

I would like to use it with an xbox360.

Some insight would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings from Belgium,
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 AM

Just bought and set up the 46 inch EH5000 this weekend. I have to say that for the money it's an incredible TV.

I bought the Sammy to replace my old Sony Bravia from 2008 and wasn't expecting a huge difference, but the difference is really striking!

For a £550 TV of this size the value for money is absolutely amazing. Colour reproduction, contrast, black levels, backlight uniformity, all of it is literally as good as I've ever seen, even compared to top end £1500+ panels.

Good Points:

Price - Cheapest TV of this quality I have ever seen

LED Array Lit S-PVA panel -Amazing picture quality, fantastic motion processor, very easy to turn off the small amount of post-processing.

Great for use as a PC monitor - Easy to put into "Full Pixel" non-overscan mode, simply rename the HDMI inputs to "PC" and it turns off overscan!

Simple menu - lots of settings but easy to figure out what they all do. Managed to get it set up perfectly without opening the manual.

Freeview HD / DVB-T receiver built in.

Very low power consumption

Bad Points:

Only 2 HDMI inputs - Personally, I only find myself using 1 these days. We use the HTPC for everything including watching TV. The Xbox sits gathering dust in the corner as I build my Minecraft empire on the HTPC. You may have need for more inputs though, and to only have 2 on a TV this size seems a little mean.

The speakers are terrible. They are fine if you don't like hearing bass or putting the volume above "low", but this is a TV clearly intended to be hooked up to a surround amp. Do not buy if you intend to use the built in TV speakers. We have a surround amp so this is a non-issue.

It has an ethernet port, but it doesn't seem to actually do anything. No DVNA support, no internet support, nothing. Not sure what the ethernet port is even for?? I guess they want to save this functionality for the much more expensive "Smart" 5300 series. Personally I don't really care about this as my HTPC handles streaming and internet far better than a TV ever could, but it is slightly infuriating to have the port there and it doesn't do anything??

Included stand does not swivel. I intend to wall-mount so not a problem for me.

smile.gif