Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 581 Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did a bunch of research online and I guess this is the poison of an edge lit LED ultra thin tv...... Like I said when the source image is 16:9 and takes up the entire screen the picture really is beautiful. Guess it will be something I will live with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 581 Old 08-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdalude View Post

Did a bunch of research online and I guess this is the poison of an edge lit LED ultra thin tv...... Like I said when the source image is 16:9 and takes up the entire screen the picture really is beautiful. Guess it will be something I will live with.

If you have a liberal exchange policy with your retailer I would try another one as there is great variability between the same models. However, you may end up with multiple dead or stuck pixels and worse clouding/flashlighting. However, you may end up with neither of these problems.
post #93 of 581 Old 08-10-2012, 07:17 AM

Honestly the clouding / flashlighting isn't that bad. I was watching tv last night and couldn't notice it at all. Love the tv I was just a little annoyed to spend this kind of money and get something that isn't completely 100% perfect.
post #94 of 581 Old 08-12-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
What's the "CE" in "CE dimming" stand for?

Michael
post #95 of 581 Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangent1138 View Post

How are you liking your new UN40ES6500?

I really like it despite there are few bleeding ( few ones - below and one - above) on the screen. However, my wife and I can't see it if we sit front little far from HDTV. I don't see any flashing or clouding, but I will check it for few days and nights. I haven't test on 3D and 2D to 3D yet. I am little iffy about CE dimming, and it seems CE dimming is auto. According to some customers, game mode will prevent it. If it is not for bleeding, I will be happy with HDTV.

I need calibration for best picture and audio and improve issues such as bleeding.
post #96 of 581 Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrw1zard View Post

I've been debating between the 6500 and the 7100 for a little while now. I've only seen one person state they would purchase the 7100 over the 6500 after seeing both, but I wanted to see what other people think.
I've seen both in the store, but both were playing the crappy in-store demo stuff. Not real world material. Is the clear screen / dimming features / and dual core worth the $400 difference in the 55"? I am streaming online content through a blu-ray player so most likely wouldn't use the tv streaming.
I am interested in the 3D aspect of the TV though. I really enjoyed the 3D on the 7100 when I saw it in-store. Will the 6500 be more similar than different (not sure how much the clear panel / 240 vs 120 hz / and dual core play in that).

Anyone have any thoughts on mrw1zard's question? I'm also trying to decide between the 7100 and 6500 and I'm not sure if the price difference is worth it. Amazon also has a promotion for the 7100 that includes a choice between 4 free items (Galaxy Tab 2 7", soundbar, 27" tv, and bluray player).
post #97 of 581 Old 08-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Can anyone tell me if you can get into the service menu of the ES6500 to turn off CE Dimming by this method:
Quote:
With the TV off, push Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. Scroll to "Advanced", press 0000 - don't hit enter. Scroll (down arrow) to CE Dimming and hit Enter. Select Movie or Standard, and hit the left or right arrow to switch it off. Done, hit power. Turn on the TV like you normally would and Auto-dimming is now off!

I don't own an ES6500 yet or I'd try myself...
post #98 of 581 Old 08-19-2012, 05:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Can anyone tell me if you can get into the service menu of the ES6500 to turn off CE Dimming by this method:

I have had the 46'' model for about 4 weeks now and I have never experienced this dimming that I have read about.I have turned the eco settings off,auto motion off and led motion off.I tweaked the contrast and back light and I am very satisfied with the picture.I also went in to the audio menu and tweaked the EQ settings and now have decent sound.Very happy with this TV overall.The only down fall I see is the side angle viewing.I am pretty much viewing straight on so that is not a Issue for me.
post #99 of 581 Old 08-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
With the TV off, push Mute, 1, 8, 2, Power. Scroll to "Advanced", press 0000 - don't hit enter. Scroll (down arrow) to CE Dimming and hit Enter. Select Movie or Standard, and hit the left or right arrow to switch it off. Done, hit power. Turn on the TV like you normally would and Auto-dimming is now off!

Doesn't work, when I press 0000 after scrolling to advanced, nothing happens.

Sent from my GT-N7000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #100 of 581 Old 08-20-2012, 07:18 AM

I've been using an HP LC4276N for the past five years, and I've been itching to upgrade for a while now. Yesterday, after about a month of research, I picked up a 50" ES6500 at the local hhgregg. I picked this model because it seemed to have the fewest issues in comparison to others in its price range. Everything else I looked at seemed to have more reports of uneven lighting and sub-par motion handling.

The set I'm coming from has horrendous dynamic contrast, and I knew about the CE dimming on the Samsung going in. I played around with the picture settings in the store to get an idea of how it behaved, and it's definitely a HUGE improvement over what I'm used to. At home it was slightly less noticeable, but I haven't played with the picture settings yet.

I'm impressed that the 2D-3D conversion mode actually works. Good blacks and good color with 3D enabled. I haven't tried an actual 3D source yet, but I'm impressed so far. It's kind of strange to see SD channels in pseudo-3D...

What I'm most surprised with is the fact that it accepts a 240p signal. I'm into retro gaming, so being able to actually display my old consoles on the Samsung is huge for me. My HP TV exhibited "shadowing" of certain colors. You could see outlines of objects in darker colors shifted off to the right, and there were static artifacts in random places. I didn't see any of that with the Samsung, and the pixel clarity was surprisingly decent. S-Video would have been nice to have, but I'm not complaining. I'd like to play with the settings a bit to see if I can get perfectly square pixels. Composite input lag on Game mode is just a few frames, but it would be nice to eliminate it. It's fine for RPGs and such, but it's off just enough that I won't be doing a Mega Man 2 speedrun on it. There is also very slight motion blur - a still scene looks nice and sharp, but scrolling the screen horizontally looks almost like an HQ2X filter. Optimally I'd prefer one or the other consistently. I keep CRTs around for this sort of thing, but it would be really awesome to find the right settings for a perfect image from that kind of source.

I watch a lot of 4:3 content, and I'm pleased so far with the black levels of the pillar boxes. I haven't used it a lot yet, but so far I've yet to find any glaring uniformity or bleeding issues. I was really wary about getting another LED edge-lit set (I have a 26" Vizio that flickers and bleeds on all four sides), but I'm happy with it so far.
post #101 of 581 Old 08-20-2012, 08:22 AM

Dimming is not an issue for me either. I use movie mode and turned all the eco settings off. No dimming problems at all.
post #102 of 581 Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

I see a lot of clouding when there is a black image. I've recently gone through three Samsung edge lit tv's that all had this problem. Is this a known defect or should I keep exchanging it until I find one with proper uniformity? I've got the 46" version.

Sent from my GT-N7000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #103 of 581 Old 08-21-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 198
CNET's review: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-un60es6500/4505-6482_7-35118122.html

post #104 of 581 Old 08-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Hi, I bought this tv a month ago, it's a good set, but I have various questions about it.

1. When I open the menu, the menu does not have icons in it, I've seen some support videos from the official samsung page and when they open the menu I can see the icons with their explanation. Do you have the icons in your menu? I only have the explanations.

2. I updated the firmware to 1016 and they seem to have lowered the sharpness a lot from the Standard preset, I haven't changed the settings since day 1, but this change was very noticeable. Now the images look very blurry. Also the colors look poor.

3. I updated the youtube app (since it was necesary) and now is slow and audio and video desync.

Can you help me?
post #105 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I disagree with this review. I see none of the problems noted there. I love this TV.
post #106 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadfulwater View Post

I disagree with this review. I see none of the problems noted there. I love this TV.

maybe you got a different/better panel or maybe you're not too picky (most professional reviewers are very picky)

post #107 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

maybe you got a different/better panel or maybe you're not too picky (most professional reviewers are very picky)

I'd have to agree with the review myself. I do notice some uniformity issues and slightly less than outstanding blacks. To be fair this is really only evident when watching movies with dark scenes, and you have to look close. I notice it more because I have the 60" screen size. When watchning regular hd tv the picture is amazing.

I'd also like to say that this observation may be because I came from a Samsung B650 tv with glossy panel. This matte panel does not make the blacks pop like my older tv did.
post #108 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 AM

I was wondering do any of you guys worry about burn in with these Led tv's? just worry about very long movies that are letterboxed.

Thanks
post #109 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 09:30 AM

I have the 50" maybe the smaller panel size makes the limitations less apparent
post #110 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM

CNET complains about the black level on anything that isn't a plasma. That said, I think I got worse black levels after calibrating to their settings. In addition, it made flashlighting in all four corners extremely apparent. I didn't even notice flashlighting on the out-of-the-box settings, or after when I went back to cable and tried some SD channels in 4:3 (I only tried changing the picture settings on HDMI1, looking at PS3 menus). I can't wait until I have the time to actually play with the settings myself, but that won't be until later this week.
post #111 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 02:27 PM

I just downloaded updated 001017 for this tv. Anyone know what the changes are??
post #112 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 02:49 PM

1 more question:

When I watch movies on the HD movie channels (Red Riding Hood, Cowboys & Aliens) why are the outlines of people showing as a nasty green halo that quickly flashes during dark sceens. Anyone ever seen this?
post #113 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:

1 more question:
When I watch movies on the HD movie channels (Red Riding Hood, Cowboys & Aliens) why are the outlines of people showing as a nasty green halo that quickly flashes during dark sceens. Anyone ever seen this?

Seems like it's people or objects.... anything that is in motion....
post #114 of 581 Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

So what's the deal, is the black level crap on all these LEDs lately? I went back to BB just a few mins ago and was thinking of dumping Samsung for Sony's new HX750 and then I checked CNET's review and they said the blacks for that tv also suck..wtf? Almost all edge lit LEDs at CNET had mediocre ratings so it makes me think one of two things must be happening: 1. CNET is biased towards plasma tv's and don't appreciate the pros of LCD tech. 2. 2012 LED edge lit TV's below $2000 are mediocre at best.

Does everyone else here have clouding and some flashlighting? I had two ES6100's and now the 6500 and all 3 have clouding and most in the same spot. My local BB has on left so I'm not sure if I should go exchange it or try a different brand out. I used to have a Pioneer Kuro back in the day and regret selling it although I never really liked the lack of brightness that plasma's have.

post #115 of 581 Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleEyes View Post

I went to BB today and I noticed the same thing. I wanted to check out the new models and I saw first the 55d6000 and the 55es6500 one above the other and boy was there a big difference. The D model blew the es model away. The es looked out of focus. I thought mabey it was just this tv so I went to the 40 inchers and it was the same thing. They had the 40D6420, the 40es6100, the 40eh6000 and the 40D630 all together. The 40D6420 blew them all away. the 40D630 and the 40eh6000 tied for second and the 40es6100 looked the worst. I think I'll keep my 46D6420.

Ok so a little late to the party but I recently swapped my 46D6750 for a 55ES6560 and noticed the same thing. Picture was nowhere near as sharp on the ES as on the D-series. However I have discovered (through a fair amount of fiddling) that this is due solely to the 'Digital Noise Filter' option on 'Picture Options' being set to auto. Turn it off and the picture becomes at least as sharp as/if not more so than the D6xxx series. Such a relief to have discovered it as was quite disappointed beforehand. Difference is night and day!
post #116 of 581 Old 08-23-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F8Sean View Post

CNET complains about the black level on anything that isn't a plasma. That said, I think I got worse black levels after calibrating to their settings. In addition, it made flashlighting in all four corners extremely apparent. I didn't even notice flashlighting on the out-of-the-box settings, or after when I went back to cable and tried some SD channels in 4:3 (I only tried changing the picture settings on HDMI1, looking at PS3 menus). I can't wait until I have the time to actually play with the settings myself, but that won't be until later this week.

There are some LEDs/LCDs that CNET states as having great blacks, but there are many more that don't make the cut. Regarding the calibration settings making the black levels worse, the issue could be that Standard pic mode has auto-dimming enabled while Movie mode does not. By dimming the whole backlight in dark scenes, auto-dimming can hide less than ideal blacks and dark/black screen uniformity issues as well.

post #117 of 581 Old 08-23-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150Joker View Post

So what's the deal, is the black level crap on all these LEDs lately? I went back to BB just a few mins ago and was thinking of dumping Samsung for Sony's new HX750 and then I checked CNET's review and they said the blacks for that tv also suck..wtf? Almost all edge lit LEDs at CNET had mediocre ratings so it makes me think one of two things must be happening: 1. CNET is biased towards plasma tv's and don't appreciate the pros of LCD tech. 2. 2012 LED edge lit TV's below $2000 are mediocre at best.
Does everyone else here have clouding and some flashlighting? I had two ES6100's and now the 6500 and all 3 have clouding and most in the same spot. My local BB has on left so I'm not sure if I should go exchange it or try a different brand out. I used to have a Pioneer Kuro back in the day and regret selling it although I never really liked the lack of brightness that plasma's have.

Probably a bit of both, though the black level measurements in the geek box don't lie (which are far more helpful than subjective evaluations of black level only like CNET did in the past).

post #118 of 581 Old 08-23-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd have to agree with the review myself. I do notice some uniformity issues and slightly less than outstanding blacks. To be fair this is really only evident when watching movies with dark scenes, and you have to look close. I notice it more because I have the 60" screen size. When watchning regular hd tv the picture is amazing.
I'd also like to say that this observation may be because I came from a Samsung B650 tv with glossy panel. This matte panel does not make the blacks pop like my older tv did.

Usually black level issues crop up the most in dark scenes (unless the blacks are so bright that the effect creeps into brighter scenes with dark areas as well, like with IPS panels). Regarding glossy vs. semi-matte screens, it should make no difference in a light controlled room but under bright lighting the glossy screen will appear darker (and I too have a B650). The downside to glossy screens is mirror like reflections.

post #119 of 581 Old 08-23-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 95
It isn't CNet fault that 2012 plasmas tend to be much better performers than mediocre LCDs this year. The entirety of Samsung's 2012 lineup looks worse to me, Sony's cut out many of their model steps, LGs are also worse than last year...I think CNet is just telling it like it is. Don't forget that they gave the Sony HX850 a glowing review, and I have to say that TV looks great.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #120 of 581 Old 08-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Hi, I have a question, its not an issue but a weird thing, my TV menu does not have this icons/animations:

My TV only has the text. Does your TV has them?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40es6100 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40es6500 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es6500 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page