Official Samsung UNXXES6500 Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
what panel does your tv have tivoboy? mine is ts-01 and the PQ is very clear..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know how to shut off the red light that comes on when the TV is OFF?
post #183 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

what panel does your tv have tivoboy? mine is ts-01 and the PQ is very clear..

yes, mine is a TS01 as well. Just doesn't seem sharp and the contracts between color and dark seem weak. I'm going crazy, going from a 10 year old EDTV panny plasm pro monitor only to this. I'll have to get some nice calibration in here or this puppy goes back!

Need to figure out how to turn off the redlight, that thing will drive me crazy at night.
post #184 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

theres no way to turn the red light off

post #185 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Mine is TS01

Mine is HS01. Looks like crap. Have a service call next week and this is my 2nd set.
post #186 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

luvdalude, does your set have any clouding/flashlight in the corners or in the center? you can see that if u watch the tv in the dark.

on my ts-01 panel the PQ is very very good but man that flashlight in the lower left corner is just bothering me so much , it literlaly means i cant watch the tv in the dark, if i have some ambient light on at night like a lamp then everything is cool but once i turn the lights off and there is some black part in that corner you can see that its brighter..

post #187 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

guys, i found this tutorial on how to fix flashlights in a samsung LCD, its basically by lossening the screws on the back, but the back cover needs to be removed first, heres the tutorial:

http://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&sl=es&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forodvd.com%2Ftema%2F108005-tutorial-eliminar-clouding-la-serie-es8000-de-samsung%2F

anyone has the balls to try it out on their set to get rid of flashlights/clouding in the corners?

post #188 of 581 Old 09-17-2012, 10:08 PM

New firmware out guys.. 1019.0 released on September 4th...

Taken from the Samsung website...

This firmware is for TV Model(s):EH4500 / EH5300 / ES6100-7150 The version is 1019.0

This firmware update will improve the following:- Resolves escaping issue while watching movie on VUDU.- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. - Improves picture quality.- Supports Samsung wireless Audio Dock- Solves the problem closed caption does not show.
post #189 of 581 Old 09-18-2012, 03:34 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlekry View Post

This firmware is for TV Model(s):EH4500 / EH5300 / ES6100-7150 The version is 1019.0
This firmware update will improve the following:- Resolves escaping issue while watching movie on VUDU.- Resolves compatibility issue with DLNA devices. - Improves picture quality.- Supports Samsung wireless Audio Dock- Solves the problem closed caption does not show.

FYI - This has been the same exact description for the last 3-4 revisions of firmware updates...they do not seem to update their descriptions.
post #190 of 581 Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAnglum View Post

Quote:

FYI - This has been the same exact description for the last 3-4 revisions of firmware updates...they do not seem to update their descriptions.

Dude I was realizing that as well...

post #191 of 581 Old 09-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave999z View Post

Still not sure I'm keeping this set. But I calibrated it today using an Xrite i1DisplayPro colorimeter. I'll post the HCFR data file at some point, but the numbers look pretty good. Here are my settings...
Picture
picture mode = movie
backlight = 12
contrast = 93
brightness = 45
sharpness = 0
color = 50
tint = G50/R50
screen adjust = screen fit
3D = off
Advanced
Dynamic contrast = off
black tone = off
flesh tone = 0
RGB only mode = off
Color space = set it to "custom" but leave all the values alone (i.e., Red = R50, G0, B0; etc.). i haven't done that part of the calibration yet, will try to get to it.
white balance
R-offset = 26
G-offset = 25
B-offset = 26
R-gain = 27
G-gain = 32
B-gain = 0
10 point white balance = on, leave all values at 0 except:
interval 1 set green to +1
interval 5 set blue to -1
interval 10 set red to +1 and green to -1
gamma = 0
xvYCC = off
motion lighting = off
Picture Options
color tone = warm 1
digital noise filter = off
mpeg noise filter = off
HDMI black level = normal and should be grayed out. if you do have the option to change, you'll have to try it both ways and see which way doesn't have the black areas completely black (as in no detail). this is a really weird, confusing control.
film mode = off
auto motion plus = custom
blur reduction = 2 (or whatever you prefer)
judder reduction = 2 (or whatever you prefer)
LED motion plus = off (or whatever you prefer)
System
Eco solution
energy saving = off
eco sensor = off
hope these help. there's a lot of variation in panels (sometimes even coming from different OEM panel manufacturers on the same tv model), so there's no guarantee these will produce good results on your particular set.

Dave, don't take this the wrong way. I know you tempered your post with an "all screens are different" caveat

but these settings make my set, from HDMI from a directv DVR showing HD at 720p or 1080i/p, seem really GREY and washed out. If that is the case, does it seem like an issue with ones screen, or just the combination of DVR to HDMI to Sammy?
post #192 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

im officially returning my es6580(same as es6500 with extra bonus items), i cant deal with the clouding in the lower left corner thats visible whenever there is dark/black video material showing in that corner(many movies such as dark knight etc)

also if i view the tv from the side i can see a huge flashlight in the lower part of the screen but not in the corner, in the MIDDLe of the screen, that flashlight isnt visible from the center view but since my tv is in an angle , it means someone sitting in the other bed cant view the tv without seeing that horrible flashlight(because that view looks at the tv from a side angle, not dead on angle like im viewing..

i have a question for u guys, whats the reason u went with this model and not the UN7100? i mean for me it was the price,

do u think the 7100 is worth the extra money for the 240hz processing and micro dimming?

post #193 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 04:50 PM

Lamonsassa the 7100 and 7500 all are said to exhibit some form if clouding / flashlighting or light leakage..

For me price and believe it or not size greatly affected my decision.. I wish you the best..

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
post #194 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yea me too, i bought the 6580 for the great price,

i mean if u think about it , the 7100 costs almost double the price of a 6500, sure the 7100 is a 46 inch tv...

also, i read the es8000 and 7100 threads and they complain of this CE Dimming feature that bothers them so much etc etc, i think our TVs have that feature too if im not mistaken,

because what they describe is that the screen dims completely when most of the screen is black, i noticed my es6580 did that too so that mean it does have CE Dimming and it doesnt bother me at all, i think its great actually as it improves black levels..

post #195 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 08:56 PM

Hi, i've also bought this TV and at first I was satisfied with everything about it. But when the TV started asking for firmware and software updates, this satisfaction ended. Firmware updates killed the PQ, now the TV is not crisp and clear, and has not vivid colors as before, now it's blurry, dark and has poor colors. Next was the software updates, that killed the functionality of the apps, now they're slow, desyncs audio from video. I really liked the automotion plus effect, but since the updates, this effect seems to blurry fast scenes rather than fix them as before, and now its deactivated from all the video apps, and there is nothing i can do to activate it again. In fact, my TV doesn't have any clouding effect, at least I can't notice it. So my advice is, don't install any updates until it's completely necesary.
post #196 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkie View Post

Hi, i've also bought this TV and at first I was satisfied with everything about it. But when the TV started asking for firmware and software updates, this satisfaction ended. Firmware updates killed the PQ, now the TV is not crisp and clear, and has not vivid colors as before, now it's blurry, dark and has poor colors. Next was the software updates, that killed the functionality of the apps, now they're slow, desyncs audio from video. I really liked the automotion plus effect, but since the updates, this effect seems to blurry fast scenes rather than fix them as before, and now its deactivated from all the video apps, and there is nothing i can do to activate it again. In fact, my TV doesn't have any clouding effect, at least I can't notice it. So my advice is, don't install any updates until it's completely necesary.

You know it is funny you say this.... Did you by any chance download the firmware directly to the tv? Or did you download the USB file from Samsung? I am thinking of rolling back to 1017 as I have it saved as a USB file but to do this I would to reset my set and perhaps update it to that.... The newest is 1020, I am on 1019 and was wondering what Samsung is doing with all these updates?!

Anyone get on the horn with them in regards to this?

post #197 of 581 Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM

@Fkie what is the build date and panel type of your set? Since when have you been updating? Do you recall your original firmware?

I wonder of Samsung could get you the firmware you last felt was good and you can roll back via USB??
post #198 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:

You know it is funny you say this.... Did you by any chance download the firmware directly to the tv? Or did you download the USB file from Samsung? I am thinking of rolling back to 1017 as I have it saved as a USB file but to do this I would to reset my set and perhaps update it to that.... The newest is 1020, I am on 1019 and was wondering what Samsung is doing with all these updates?!
Anyone get on the horn with them in regards to this?

Hi, I downloaded the updates directly to the tv. I don't think you can roll back to a previous version, the tv would identify it's version and determine that it's a lower version therefore not letting you install it. The version that I was completely satisfied was the original version that came with the TV, no updates required. I don't remember which version was. I don't know what they're doing with these updates, but the changes I've noticed are:

-Images are now blurry (drop in sharpness)
-Colors are poor
-Automotion plus makes images blurry rather than smooth them
-Automotion plus deactivated from video apps
-When I exit the web browser and return to any source on the TV, Automotion plus is deactivated and I need to change to another source and return to the original source so that Automotion plus is activated again.
-A lot of glitches (audio video desyncs, artifacts in images) in video apps
-Smart hub loads faster (it's the only positive change)

Quote:

@Fkie what is the build date and panel type of your set? Since when have you been updating? Do you recall your original firmware?
I wonder of Samsung could get you the firmware you last felt was good and you can roll back via USB??

Well it says april 2012 and version TS01. I've updated it 3 times. But again, I don't think you can roll back to a previous version.
post #199 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Well it is like I said before you would have to reset the tv to it's factory default settings... You can find the option in the menu under system I believe (not around the tv right now)..
You have to punch in a four digit code that I am thinking Samsung may have to give you or could be found in the instruction manual but all in all you will be able to roll back this way.. You will lose all your info and calibration settings but you will get back to the firmware your tv was shipped with...

post #200 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

I've been trying to get colors and sharpness right, but It just eludes me.

One question I have for the group. My images, well, make me think of BBC shows ca 1995. Everything in the images of shows I watch, lighting and colors and contrast of a character in front of a background give me this STAGE feeling, not an outdoor set. There is a funny almost SHAKY CAMERA technique that seems to have emerged, and I can't imaging that all the shows we watch just started using shaky camera technique. Is that some sort of motion smoothing or something built into the processing of the TV? If yes, is there a way to turn it off?

I mean it's silly really, new tv and price notwithstanding but man I long for the EDTV that this puppy replaced.

Also, any tips on getting audio to come out a bit more. The audio adjustments seem pretty lacking, I can't seem to get character VOICES to come out from the background and background sounds sound simply boomy and overwhelming to the voice audio track. I mean, I'm about 6-8 feet from the set and it's sort of hard to hear. Best selection to now has been the MUSIC one, the voice amplify really didn't do that.
post #201 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:

luvdalude, does your set have any clouding/flashlight in the corners or in the center? you can see that if u watch the tv in the dark.
on my ts-01 panel the PQ is very very good but man that flashlight in the lower left corner is just bothering me so much , it literlaly means i cant watch the tv in the dark, if i have some ambient light on at night like a lamp then everything is cool but once i turn the lights off and there is some black part in that corner you can see that its brighter..

Yes bad clouding and flashlighting on my tv. Service tech is coming out again on Monday! (this is my second set).
post #202 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoboy View Post

I've been trying to get colors and sharpness right, but It just eludes me.

One question I have for the group. My images, well, make me think of BBC shows ca 1995. Everything in the images of shows I watch, lighting and colors and contrast of a character in front of a background give me this STAGE feeling, not an outdoor set. There is a funny almost SHAKY CAMERA technique that seems to have emerged, and I can't imaging that all the shows we watch just started using shaky camera technique. Is that some sort of motion smoothing or something built into the processing of the TV? If yes, is there a way to turn it off?

I mean it's silly really, new tv and price notwithstanding but man I long for the EDTV that this puppy replaced.

Also, any tips on getting audio to come out a bit more. The audio adjustments seem pretty lacking, I can't seem to get character VOICES to come out from the background and background sounds sound simply boomy and overwhelming to the voice audio track. I mean, I'm about 6-8 feet from the set and it's sort of hard to hear. Best selection to now has been the MUSIC one, the voice amplify really didn't do that.

I would suggest you if you have not done so yet, turn off all auto motion settings and see if that helps... Have you updated the firmware of your set / what version are you running?

As far as the sound mode I use and have had good results with would be between Movie and Amplify.. Amplify works well for me but Movie adds some depth and bass frequencies...

As a matter of fact I was meaning to use and modify the EQ in standard mode with Tru SD and Tru Dialog on and I must say it sounds better.. I would suggest dialing in your own settings and the sound will out perform the factory settings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvdalude View Post

Quote:

Yes bad clouding and flashlighting on my tv. Service tech is coming out again on Monday! (this is my second set).

What did the service technician tell you the first visit and if you do not mind me asking what will he be doing during the second visit...
I actually postponed my service visit out of fear that they would want to crack open the set and replace the panel... I have read horror stories with repairs like that and just feel like it may be better to live with a calibrated set to eliminate as much light bleed and clouding as possible for now..

Standard mode can be slightly tweaked and backlight can be lowered to something to 12 or under to remedy a lot of clouding during most viewing conditions...
post #203 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 04:26 PM

4y9ydu9e.jpg

For anyone who is interested here is what I am using, tweak it to your liking and let me know what sounds better for you..
post #204 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

why is the service man coming to u? why dont u return the set to the store?

post #205 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Everyone who is having Service technicians come out please share your experience!

Lamsonsassa is your second set worse than your first?

post #206 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

No i didn't get my Set, i have to ship this one out first. you should exchange your set too if you have too many flashlights, battlekry, when u got he LG was it better than the samsung? how was the passive 3d?

post #207 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:

What did the service technician tell you the first visit and if you do not mind me asking what will he be doing during the second visit...
I actually postponed my service visit out of fear that they would want to crack open the set and replace the panel... I have read horror stories with repairs like that and just feel like it may be better to live with a calibrated set to eliminate as much light bleed and clouding as possible for now..
Standard mode can be slightly tweaked and backlight can be lowered to something to 12 or under to remedy a lot of clouding during most viewing conditions...

First service tech told me the panel was defective. I then exchanged the tv for a new one. Now on my 2nd set, and it looks the exact same. Main issue is a green shimmering during dark scenes with objects in motion, especially movies. I want to just return the tv but the store where I bought it is being extremely difficult.
post #208 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

does your second set have clouding and flashlights in the corner/s too?

post #209 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:

No i didn't get my Set, i have to ship this one out first. you should exchange your set too if you have too many flashlights, battlekry, when u got he LG was it better than the samsung? how was the passive 3d?

The Lg was the Lm6700 and I had a few gripes.. There was no clouding visible but it had a very obvious area in the upper left area of the screen toward the corner of the panel that had light leakage wore than any of the Samsung's I tried... There were two other caveats I had with the tv outside of the defect.. It was really a 60hz refresh rate set although sold as a 120hz refresh rate set and you could not disconnect the power supply cable from the back of the tv... If you are going to go with Lg I would try and get the lm7600 as it can ve had at most places for the same price or cheaper than the lm6700... One last thing about the lm6700 is that it does not come with a standard remote and the lm7600 comes with two a standard and the magic remote...
post #210 of 581 Old 09-20-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

First service tech told me the panel was defective. I then exchanged the tv for a new one. Now on my 2nd set, and it looks the exact same. Main issue is a green shimmering during dark scenes with objects in motion, especially movies. I want to just return the tv but the store where I bought it is being extremely difficult.

Have you tried calibrating the set? Perhaps the red and green tint or even the gamma? Does it exhibit the green tint under all picture modes? Samsung is going to have refund your cash or replace the panel for you if the store does not cooperate and it is truly something the settings cannot alter or impact... I wish you the best...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40es6100 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40es6500 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es6500 55 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page