LG 55-inch LM9600 Hands On Review + Video - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 328 Old 06-15-2012, 08:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Oh, I did forget to mention that there is no noticeable blooming that I can see. So it looks like LG may have fixed that issue but in doing so, the black levels have suffered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 328 Old 06-16-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
vishank

Did you check black levels with local dimming "on" AND brightness set below 50? Above 50? Any difference between the two?
vishank likes this.
post #273 of 328 Old 06-16-2012, 07:56 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishank View Post

Oh, I did forget to mention that there is no noticeable blooming that I can see. So it looks like LG may have fixed that issue but in doing so, the black levels have suffered.

I can confirm this - no blooming but bad black level
post #274 of 328 Old 06-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamw View Post

vishank
Did you check black levels with local dimming "on" AND brightness set below 50? Above 50? Any difference between the two?

Ya I believe I tested with both. Local dimming tested set to low, med or high. I think the issue is more with the way the local dimming has been set to work.

With the 55LV9500, it seemed that when I had put local dimming off, I can see lots of uniformity issues. Once local dimming was activated, the issue goes away and black is really dark and milky.

With this model, it seems that when the local dimming is off, there is uniformity issues. When local dimming is activated, black becomes darker but NOT to the extent of the LV9500. So, the uniformity issues are still present and blacks are not that dark.

Also I am kind of disappointed that LG did not include a regular remote in addition to the Motion remote. There are some times where I could've used a regular remote.
post #275 of 328 Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info.
post #276 of 328 Old 06-17-2012, 02:37 PM

Starting today and going through Saturday, Best Buy has it on sale for $3000.

Now what I'd still like to know is if the voice control is active out of the box or is that something to come with a later firmware update? Also, is the BD 1080p24fps problem really noticeable? What about with 3D?
post #277 of 328 Old 06-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonChaser View Post

Now what I'd still like to know is if the voice control is active out of the box or is that something to come with a later firmware update? Also, is the BD 1080p24fps problem really noticeable? What about with 3D?

I believe that the voice control comes later in a future update.

To tell you the truth, I have noticed it in the little time I have had it. But when I played back some footage from Walking Dead (a video of it is seen on Youtube), it is pretty bad and hard to not notice.

I am pretty impressed with 3d (have not tried a 3d bd yet though).
post #278 of 328 Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have not put it through all the paces, but I can tell you that DISH HD is simply fantastic. The picture is stunning. I especially like it for sports. Had a friend over who commented that it is the best looking TV they have ever seen. I did try a few movies and frankly couldn't see the issues folks are talking about. I did use the ISF picture settings which uses TrueMotion Plus (or something like that). Running 1080P24fps from an Oppo. Again, picture looked fantastic and didn't see the motion blur. Also,thanks for posting. I called Best Buy and they credited me $300!! smile.gif
post #279 of 328 Old 06-20-2012, 04:34 PM

I'm glad I could help! I notice that Amazon is now matching the $3000 price on this set.

How thrilling to know that the 24fps motion blur problem was not detected with an Oppo. That's what I plan on getting. I notice that flatpanelsHD used a PS3 to test the set and if that may have something to do with it.

Or, SJHT, did you test the motion blur with dark scenes? And how do the black levels look to you? Of course, one review has clearly stated that this set needs to be "broken in" with 100 hours of playing before a true judgement can be given (or calibrations should be set).
post #280 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm glad I could help! I notice that Amazon is now matching the $3000 price on this set.
How thrilling to know that the 24fps motion blur problem was not detected with an Oppo. That's what I plan on getting. I notice that flatpanelsHD used a PS3 to test the set and if that may have something to do with it.
Or, SJHT, did you test the motion blur with dark scenes? And how do the black levels look to you? Of course, one review has clearly stated that this set needs to be "broken in" with 100 hours of playing before a true judgement can be given (or calibrations should be set).

I'll try a few more tests in a few days. Like I originally posted, we won't be watching many movies on this set. I also think some folks see more motion blur than I every do.... Any torture tests from BD that I should try? (if I own the movie)
post #281 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Put on Green Lantern. Ended up using the true motion on the lowest settings under one of the ISF modes. I still can't see any real motion blurring issues, but maybe my eyes aren't as good as reviewers. Blacks were great in the space scenes. Very uniform on my set. All seems good for movies. But for sports in HD, just fantastic. Picture is just so clear. SJ
post #282 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 06:43 PM

Well, I had an interesting discovery today. It looks like pretty decent black levels may be achieved with this tv.

I decided to turn on the tv again today. Well, I had no cable connected, so when I turned my TV on, it went to the "no signal connected" with the LG logo in the middle, with the entire screen being grey (they wanted it that way it looks like). Well, when I pressed the quick menu, the menu popped up in the bottom, but the rest of the screen was "milky black". I was shocked.

Well I played with the settings a little more and it looks like to get pretty decent black levels, I had to turn the Energy Saving to Auto. Also, I noticed that turning on "ClearPlus" in Trumotion, it even makes the blacks even better. All of this was in the night with no lights on. During the day, it probably would look even more impressive

Maybe a good calibration is what it needs?

Still hoping for a 24p fix. Although I could live with using the LG's playback of files as it can now play DTS!
post #283 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Put on Green Lantern. Ended up using the true motion on the lowest settings under one of the ISF modes. I still can't see any real motion blurring issues, but maybe my eyes aren't as good as reviewers. Blacks were great in the space scenes. Very uniform on my set. All seems good for movies. But for sports in HD, just fantastic. Picture is just so clear. SJ

Were you playing Green Lantern in 24p? That's when the blurring occurs. Although the only time I have seen it is when I played a particular scene of The Walking Dead as was mentioned in another forum. Here is a video that was posted in another forum regarding the issue:

Don't click unless you want to be spoiled! Warned! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzQlj_PM0A&feature=youtu.be
post #284 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I had an interesting discovery today. It looks like pretty decent black levels may be achieved with this tv.
I decided to turn on the tv again today. Well, I had no cable connected, so when I turned my TV on, it went to the "no signal connected" with the LG logo in the middle, with the entire screen being grey (they wanted it that way it looks like). Well, when I pressed the quick menu, the menu popped up in the bottom, but the rest of the screen was "milky black". I was shocked.
Well I played with the settings a little more and it looks like to get pretty decent black levels, I had to turn the Energy Saving to Auto. Also, I noticed that turning on "ClearPlus" in Trumotion, it even makes the blacks even better. All of this was in the night with no lights on. During the day, it probably would look even more impressive
Maybe a good calibration is what it needs?
Still hoping for a 24p fix. Although I could live with using the LG's playback of files as it can now play DTS!

Yeah, clear plus seems to darken everything for some reason. Not sure what us going on when you select that option. SJ
post #285 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Were you playing Green Lantern in 24p? That's when the blurring occurs. Although the only time I have seen it is when I played a particular scene of The Walking Dead as was mentioned in another forum. Here is a video that was posted in another forum regarding the issue:
Don't click unless you want to be spoiled! Warned! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnzQlj_PM0A&feature=youtu.be

It was playing 24p out of my oppo. I did verify by looking at the top display on the tv to confirm it was sending that signal. All kinds of motion going on in this movie, but frankly I couldn't see any blur. SJ

Your link does not work for me.
post #286 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:

It was playing 24p out of my oppo. I did verify by looking at the top display on the tv to confirm it was sending that signal. All kinds of motion going on in this movie, but frankly I couldn't see any blur. SJ
Your link does not work for me.

Hmm, works fine here.
Quote:

Yeah, clear plus seems to darken everything for some reason. Not sure what us going on when you select that option. SJ

It does seem to really smoothen the motion (aka soap opera effect) which I think is what is intended. I am not sure why it darkens the image as well...
post #287 of 328 Old 06-21-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, works fine here.
It does seem to really smoothen the motion (aka soap opera effect) as well. I am not sure why it darkens the image as well...

Motion meaning lots of action/movement to test for blur. No issue for my eyes also. SJ
post #288 of 328 Old 06-22-2012, 04:05 PM

vishank's link works for me.

vishank, what player were you using to see the 24fps motion blur? I see the trails behind the characters so I can tell there is the motion blur. I am just wondering if it truly is the television or the equipment supplying the signal.

Thanks for the helpful dialogue, y'all!
post #289 of 328 Old 06-22-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:

vishank's link works for me.
vishank, what player were you using to see the 24fps motion blur? I see the trails behind the characters so I can tell there is the motion blur. I am just wondering if it truly is the television or the equipment supplying the signal.
Thanks for the helpful dialogue, y'all!

I was using a BluRay HTIB (Samsung HT-E6500W). I also tested it with a WDLive Player. In 24p, you see the trails. In 60p, everything looks great.
post #290 of 328 Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:

I was using a BluRay HTIB (Samsung HT-E6500W). I also tested it with a WDLive Player. In 24p, you see the trails. In 60p, everything looks great.

My question is: Do you see that type of trail with any other movies in 24p that might have dark scenes or any scene for that matter? Or do the blacks look good and the motions in other movies seem fine at 24p? In my opinion, if that is the only movie that exhibits the trails that bad then I am fine with that. I don't plan on watching that movie anyway. smile.gif

So far, overall everyone that has one seems to like the 55LM9600. SJHT mentioned sports in HD looked awesome and that is one thing I would be watching a lot of. I think I am going to take the plunge and buy one before the special prices go up after this month. It has to be much better than my DLP projection TV. biggrin.gif
post #291 of 328 Old 06-22-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigo View Post

My question is: Do you see that type of trail with any other movies in 24p that might have dark scenes or any scene for that matter? Or do the blacks look good and the motions in other movies seem fine at 24p? In my opinion, if that is the only movie that exhibits the trails that bad then I am fine with that. I don't plan on watching that movie anyway. smile.gif
So far, overall everyone that has one seems to like the 55LM9600. SJHT mentioned sports in HD looked awesome and that is one thing I would be watching a lot of. I think I am going to take the plunge and buy one before the special prices go up after this month. It has to be much better than my DLP projection TV. biggrin.gif

Supposedly it happens in dark scenes. But I have only noticed it in the Walking Dead episode. Then again, I have not really tested the set with many movies with dark scenes yet. Here is another video taken from another forum from Harry Potter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPkqn2xGKH0&feature=youtu.be

Basically, if you are not going to watch many content in 24p, then you will not be affected by this issue. Hopefully, LG releases a firmware fix for this in the future.
post #292 of 328 Old 06-23-2012, 06:22 AM

1. You see the trail in every dark scene. e.g. dark knight rising, ... But only if viewing in 24p - independent from the blu ray player. (I have tested 3 different models)
2. That's a hatdware "feature" and as LG has already confirmed - they can and will not fix it.
3. clear plus enables the scanning/blinking backlight So it's clear that the whole picture becomes darker. (less emitted light in a given time frame) It has more or les the same effet as if you lower the backlight. But this does not helpt with the black level.
post #293 of 328 Old 06-23-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Supposedly it happens in dark scenes. But I have only noticed it in the Walking Dead episode. Then again, I have not really tested the set with many movies with dark scenes yet. Here is another video taken from another forum from Harry Potter:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPkqn2xGKH0&feature=youtu.be
Basically, if you are not going to watch many content in 24p, then you will not be affected by this issue. Hopefully, LG releases a firmware fix for this in the future.

The Harry Potter video really shows it bad as just about every movement has a trail. That's too bad but personally I do not watch Blu-Ray movies because I do not have a Blu-Ray player at the moment but may get one in the near future. If I do I will just play at 60p.

Does anyone know if this problem exists on other TVs such as Samsung and Sony? I'm not too familiar with the latest technology they are all using and am trying to catch up on it all.

Thanks to all for the updates and reviews on this TV! It's good to hear everyones opinions and thoughts.

Cheers!
post #294 of 328 Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 AM

I am also curious if the 24p motion blur problem exists on the 55LM8600. It is 240Hz vs. 480Hz the LM9600 has. Technically that shouldn't matter since they are multiples but you never know.
post #295 of 328 Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigo View Post

The Harry Potter video really shows it bad as just about every movement has a trail. That's too bad but personally I do not watch Blu-Ray movies because I do not have a Blu-Ray player at the moment but may get one in the near future. If I do I will just play at 60p.
Does anyone know if this problem exists on other TVs such as Samsung and Sony? I'm not too familiar with the latest technology they are all using and am trying to catch up on it all.
Thanks to all for the updates and reviews on this TV! It's good to hear everyones opinions and thoughts.
Cheers!

OK, so I watched the video to get a sense of what folks are talking about. Could clearly see the issue. However, since I own this BD, I put it in my player and watched the same scenes. It was nothing like the YouTube. Looked fine to me running at 24p. I will try Dark Knight and see what that looks like. SJ
post #296 of 328 Old 06-23-2012, 12:53 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-Freak View Post

2. That's a hatdware "feature" and as LG has already confirmed - they can and will not fix it.

do you have a source for this confirmation? thanks.
post #297 of 328 Old 06-24-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:

OK, so I watched the video to get a sense of what folks are talking about. Could clearly see the issue. However, since I own this BD, I put it in my player and watched the same scenes. It was nothing like the YouTube. Looked fine to me running at 24p. I will try Dark Knight and see what that looks like. SJ

Can't wait to hear what you find out. I'm still curious if others have noticed this on their personal TV sets or just going by what they saw in a couple videos on YouTube. One already said they saw it in Walking Dead, but that is all that has been confirmed here.
Have you all tried it with TruMotion on AND off to see if there is any difference between the two settings?
post #298 of 328 Old 06-24-2012, 04:18 AM

I'm also curious if the 24fps motion blur is only noticeable on dark scenes or can you notice it on lighter scenes as well with dark objects in motion?
post #299 of 328 Old 06-24-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I watched green lantern and frankly didn't notice any motion blur issues. Maybe my eyes are not as sensitive as reviewers. wink.gif. SJ
post #300 of 328 Old 06-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:

I watched green lantern and frankly didn't notice any motion blur issues. Maybe my eyes are not as sensitive as reviewers. wink.gif. SJ

If it looks fine to you that is all that matters! biggrin.gif
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm9600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page