LG 55-inch LM9600 Hands On Review + Video - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 326 Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I decided to check out Green Lantern today, and there was definite blurring during the movie. It was very evident in the airport scene where Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are talking and sitting on top of the traffic control tower. Trails can be seen when their heads are moving. I don't know how to describe it, but when the issue occurs, the image is not clear anymore (like there is filter in front of the image).

I think I am sending the TV back to Amazon. If this issue was not present, I would have been happy with the TV even with the "ok" black levels. But this is a huge flaw in my opinion, and for this price it is definitely a deal breaker.

Would be worth it to possibly get it down the line when the price drops or if the issue is ever fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 326 Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM

Liked: 10
US-Appliance has this for $2197. You need to go to final checkout page (Enter CC etc) to see the price. I called Amazon (Large items Dept) and they price matched!! $802 difference. Now having read the reviews I don't think even $2200 is worth it if this is not as great as a full led is expected to be. I will wait for Elite model to come down then.
post #303 of 326 Old 06-27-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishank View Post

I decided to check out Green Lantern today, and there was definite blurring during the movie. It was very evident in the airport scene where Ryan Reynolds and Blake Lively are talking and sitting on top of the traffic control tower. Trails can be seen when their heads are moving. I don't know how to describe it, but when the issue occurs, the image is not clear anymore (like there is filter in front of the image).
I think I am sending the TV back to Amazon. If this issue was not present, I would have been happy with the TV even with the "ok" black levels. But this is a huge flaw in my opinion, and for this price it is definitely a deal breaker.
Would be worth it to possibly get it down the line when the price drops or if the issue is ever fixed.

OK, I like watched that scene about 10 times and didn't see any blurring as they moved their heads.Maybe a tiny bit as they switch angles. Must be my old eyes, but I have seen blurring on other sets. Also, maybe I'm not as sensitive of this as others. Oh well... For what it is worth, I have my settings (ISF expert) on:

Energy Savings Off, Backlight 80, Contrast 79, Brightness 59, H Sharpness 21, V Sharpness 21, Color 81, Tint 0, Noise Reducton OFF, MGEG Noise Reduction Off, Black Level Low, LED Local Dimming Medium,TruMotion User (De-Judder 1, De-Blur 1). Running an OPPO BD Player outputing 1080P24Hz into the LG. SJ

Also, that is a great price!
post #304 of 326 Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Good to know. Thanks for all the reports.

It looks like Amazon and Best Buy are keeping the set at $3000. If enough people price match the $2200 price, that may force another drop in listed price.

I called LG Customer Support last night. "Tino" had not heard of the motion blurring issue at 1080p24fps. He said that there was no official word from LG on it. I asked him if LG was even aware of the problem. He said they had no official word on it. I asked him how to report it so that LG will look into the problem (because it was after 5PM Technical Support was closed and he could not get any further information on it). He took my information, the information from some of your posts, and the FlatPanelsHD review (I did not give any links, but I did report movies and scenes used to show the flaw). Tino said that he would report this information to Technical Support and to his management. So, hopefully something can be done about this.

The other thing I asked him about was the 60LM9600 and the 84LM9600. He said both would be out around Sept./Oct. He also said that the 60LM9600 would be 240hz, Full LED, and no local dimming. As for the 84LM9600 he didn't say it would be 4k, but that it would be 2k. I don't know how much I trust his information, though.

As for the voice control on the Magic Motion Remote Tino said that it is fully functional now. I asked him about the "search" feature being active as in the FlatPanelsHD review. He replied that the individual apps may not be searchable by name (e.g., "Netflix"). He seemed confused by this question, so I don't know how reliable his answer is. So, again, I wonder if we're still awaiting a firmware update to fix this issue.

So, take from that what you will. Tino and I did have a bit of a communications problem in that our accents were both difficult to understand each other and I am not so sure of his command of the English language. I am just reporting what I found out from LG's Customer Service.

I just don't know what to do about buying this set.
post #305 of 326 Old 06-29-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 395
post #306 of 326 Old 06-29-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have the LG LV 9500 led nano 3d active! The 9600 was suppose to be a copy of the 9500 but with 3d passive! what happen to the 9600? The 9500 has 2200 led's and 280 zones!
This LG 9500 olny uses 98.4 watts in full power! I can't understand why LG gave up on nano led?
post #307 of 326 Old 06-29-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post

I have the LG LV 9500 led nano 3d active! The 9600 was suppose to be a copy of the 9500 but with 3d passive! what happen to the 9600? The 9500 has 2200 led's and 280 zones!
This LG 9500 olny uses 98.4 watts in full power! I can't understand why LG gave up on nano led?

It has that, but less zones I believe....

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LM9600-led-tv
post #308 of 326 Old 06-29-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Another review. Discussed their opinion on what settings to use:

http://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/review-lg-lm9600-55-inch-cinema-3d-smart-tv-full-assault
post #309 of 326 Old 06-30-2012, 03:30 PM

SJHT - What model Oppo Blu-Ray player are you using, please? Personnally I'd like to get a BDP-95 and use it with this set, but if even the Oppo cannot resolve the 180p24 motion blurring issue, then I'll either have to wait for LG to fix it or choose another set without the problem that comes close to all the features of the 55LM9600.
post #310 of 326 Old 06-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Well I compared LH95/LHX to my brother's LM9600 and I gotta say that LM9600 performs better. The image looks sharper on the LM9600 with Edge Enhancement turned off for both, and even with Super Resolution Off, the image looks sharper on the LM9600. I think it has to do with the finer Pixels on the LM9600. Both HDTV is 55" by the way. It is even obvious when you test both sets with Pioneer Showcase video. The moon on the LM9600 is more detailed and stronger, whereas LH95/LHX is softer. I've also bought a 42" LM7600 for my PC usage, and the result is the same with the Pioneer Showcase video, the details on the moon is more clearer on the LM7600 also, it's just that it doesn't have the contrast that Local-Dimming sets deliver.

Current lineups of LM series is able to give strong, detailed image without artificial add ons.

There is one thing I got to bring up though. I have a feeling that LM9600 doesn't have as many dimming zones as the LH95/LHX. LH95/LHX has 240 Dimming Zones, I am not sure about LM9600 but how it displays scenes really gives me the feeling that it has fewer dimming zones compared to LH95/LHX. But overall I still think LM9600 performs better than predecessor.

KakiC●l○r® Calibration w/ Calman

---------------------------------------------------------------

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-Direct Backlit SlimLED w/ Local Dimming

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

-Edge-lit LED w/ Local Dimming

post #311 of 326 Old 06-30-2012, 09:21 PM

After much thought and looking at different reviews I figured I would by the 55LM9600 if the price was right. Greystone Appliance had it listed for the first time Monday night on their web site for $2449. I called Tuesday morning to make sure they truly had it in stock and they got 5 in with more on the way. So I ordered it right then over the phone and it should be delivered by this Tuesday. I noticed today their price jumped up to $2669 and it's now out of stock already. Amazon dropped their price this week as well but also list it as out of stock. Prices are dropping and they are selling.

My point is, if the price is right this TV is amazing. For me, at the price I got it for and the fact that I want it to watch sports and 3D it will perform as good as I can ask. I think the price was right for me and can't wait to watch it. It's all a matter of what you are looking for in a TV and this one does what I am looking for according to just about all the reviews: great 3D, vibrant colors, and good motion quality. I could care less about dark scenes at 24p since I don't even own a Blu-ray player...yet. smile.gif

For those that have it already and may not have seen this yet, try the calibrations recommended by CNET. Maybe your picture will be even better than it is now.
post #312 of 326 Old 06-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Don't even try and use CNET settings, they have no idea what is going on. Just read their reviews on LM9600 and LM6700. They can't seem to figure out what is to adjust correctly. By looking at their settings and post-calibration reports, they are so outrageous. I don't blame them but LG for misleading. When they were having issues calibrating with LG adjustments, they didn't even try and work out on which of the settings affects the IRE80 more first. If they did, they would've figured out that LG_Low actually controls the High Point IRE80.

When you adjust by 2 Points Method Calibration

LG_High is to adjust the IRE30 (Low End)
LG_Low is to adjust the IRE80 (High End)

By looking at their settings and Post-Calibration reports, It is so obvious to tell they did the High as High IRE End and Low as Low IRE End when they did the calibration.

Always starts by calibrating the (LG_Low) High End IRE80 first, then to the (LG_High) Low End IRE30.

KakiC●l○r® Calibration w/ Calman

---------------------------------------------------------------

Current Setup:

*LG 55" LH95/LHX

-Semi-Gloss Coating

-Direct Backlit SlimLED w/ Local Dimming

-3360 LEDs w/ 240 Zones

*LG 42" LM7600

-Gloss Coating

-Edge-lit LED w/ Local Dimming

post #313 of 326 Old 07-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KakimotoRift View Post

Don't even try and use CNET settings, they have no idea what is going on. Just read their reviews on LM9600 and LM6700. They can't seem to figure out what is to adjust correctly. By looking at their settings and post-calibration reports, they are so outrageous. I don't blame them but LG for misleading. When they were having issues calibrating with LG adjustments, they didn't even try and work out on which of the settings affects the IRE80 more first. If they did, they would've figured out that LG_Low actually controls the High Point IRE80.

By looking at their settings and Post-Calibration reports, It is so obvious to tell they did the High as High IRE End and Low as Low IRE End when they did the calibration.

Always starts by calibrating the (LG_Low) High End IRE80 first, then to the (LG_High) Low End IRE30.
Good to see you back.

In reality, nothing from LG has surpassed the PQ of the 55LHX, in a living room environment. Since the introduction of that unit, LG has made mistakes - big time. The glossy displays are simply unacceptable in many viewing environments. And as you probably know, granular local dimming can't be achieved with FPR tech for obvious reasons, and IPS displays need local dimming support to effectively compete in the high-end marketplace.

-nony
post #314 of 326 Old 07-01-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:

Question - Are you able to use the Inner Screens for these calibrations? If so, then one should obviously be able to see that one brings up the 30IRE screen, the other the 100IRE screen, or is it 80IRE? Normally it's 30/100 on the older sets. Sometimes 30/80/100.
post #315 of 326 Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonChaser View Post

SJHT - What model Oppo Blu-Ray player are you using, please? Personnally I'd like to get a BDP-95 and use it with this set, but if even the Oppo cannot resolve the 180p24 motion blurring issue, then I'll either have to wait for LG to fix it or choose another set without the problem that comes close to all the features of the 55LM9600.

I have an older 83 model that I'm using. I do also have a 93, but would be way to much effort to pull it out of our HT rack to see if it makes any difference.... SJ
post #316 of 326 Old 07-01-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:

Good to know. I am new to TV calibrations and will be learning more after I get the TV delivered since modern sets allow users to perform professional calibrations themselves. It seems calibrations on TVs these days can make a big difference and I want to get the best picture I can get out of my set for my lighting.
Anyone have any ideas where to find a good source of calibrations or the best things to use? Maybe a thread in these forums gives advice on it?
post #317 of 326 Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 PM

What I dont like seeing is the response time is at 91ms to 100ms. This was with game mode on. If I can tell the difference between 6ms to 50ms during gaming on some sets. I am sure I will really notice a 90ms plus time. This is a real bummer for me. I was really looking forward to getting this set later in the year in the 60 to 65 inch size. I wonder why the delay is so high in a world of 4-6ms sets?

HDave (may the 1080p be with you)

I may not post all the time. But when I do, I post on avsforum

post #318 of 326 Old 07-06-2012, 06:49 PM

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55LM9600-led-tv

Go to the Ask & Answer section. Sort by Newest Questions.

Let's see what LG answers, shall we?
post #319 of 326 Old 07-09-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm considering buying the 55 inch version of this tv. It seems Samsung UNES8000 series have too many issues, including clouding, colors that are off and tv sets turning off and on randomly. I'm sure this has been discussed, but here it goes again. How many of you have noticed the flaw with the playback of 24p content? Another reviewer claims this was seen in the European models and now it is present in the North American models as well. Reviewer says there are motion trails seen, especially in dark scenes, which lead to a very degraded picture. He says this is very annoying to watch this during 24p playback.. Has this issue been fixed? Is there a firmware upgrade available to fix this? Anyone still experiencing this?
post #320 of 326 Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM

I bought this from Amazon for $2500. Picture is great right out of the box -excellent blacks day and night - no tweaking yet. My test is the Screen saver on directv - a black screen with a bright logo that moves randomly around the screen. I see no changes as logo moves through the various zones. Picture is excellent in hd and 3d, some 2d to 3d is as good as regular 3d - I might even watch some 3d. I see no lines in the 3d picture even at 1 foot from the screen other than normal pixel lines. I like the remote, the internet and its connection to home video on my computer. No blurring/artifacts on sports, panning scenes or otherwise. Watched 139 mph tennis balls, golfballs, football, xgames, and basketball - never seen a flicker either 3d or 2d. Don't watch movies, so no comment on 24.

I'd like it better at $2k, but it's a good buy for me - and I have 30 days to change my mind.
post #321 of 326 Old 07-13-2012, 06:55 AM

Audio5oh - That is what I posted about on the USA LG product site's Ask&Answer section. You can click the link and see. Also, I asked LG on the phone and put in an official request for LG to look into it. Officially, they denied knowing of it until I put in the request for them to look into it.

So far, I haven't heard of any response or any action being taken. While the rest of the set seems great, watching BDs (which will be at 1080p24) is going to be a most used feature of the set. That makes this issue a deal-breaker for me.

The good news is that my soon-to-be fiancee has agreed that if the 84LM9600 doesn't have the same problem that I can get it instead. Since this issue seems to only be on the 55LM9600 and due to the backlight, I'll have to make do with the edgelit 84" set.
post #322 of 326 Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM

I have had the 55LM9600 for over a week now and I must say the picture looks awesome. I do not watch Blu-ray yet, so I can't comment on the problems that have been noted with 24p, but I can comment on how good everything else is. 3D looks great and colors are amazing after I calibrated it using the settings mentioned here: Flatpanel Review. If anyone knows of better calibrations I am open to suggestions. Maybe at $3000 it is expensive, but I think the $2449 I paid was worth it.

For those that already own this TV and don't know: LM9600 Owners Thread
Let's use it to discuss any issues good or bad about the LM9600 and pass along ideas to make our viewing experience even better.
post #323 of 326 Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM

Cal132 made an interesting post on the LM9600 Owner's Thread regarding the 24p motion blur problem for the UK models. Not sure how true the information is that the customer rep gave, but if it is true then it could be great news for models in other countries like the US.

Maybe the 03.01.50 software update on LG's web site did pertain to this problem? It would be nice to know for sure.
post #324 of 326 Old 07-18-2012, 05:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Does anyone know how many LED's and zones the 9600 has? I went on lg's website and could not find this information.
How many watts does the 9600 use in full power?
post #325 of 326 Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6athome View Post

Does anyone know how many LED's and zones the 9600 has? I went on lg's website and could not find this information.
How many watts does the 9600 use in full power?

Energy consumption was listed in the Flatpanelshd test review on the LM9600.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1338560188
post #326 of 326 Old 09-10-2012, 08:26 PM

I just ordered the 55LM9600 from Amazon, today. It will be delivered Friday. There is a Link on the site, which I am not sure if I am allowed to post here, that you click on the TV, and a pair of $12,99 glasses. You go to the cart and change the quantity of the glasses to six pairs. When you go to pay, the TV, which comes with 6 pairs of glasses, will cost $2338, and the six other pairs of glasses that you added will be free. So, in summary, you get the TV and 12 pairs of glasses for $2338, with no tax and free shipping. I live in California, so buying this locally at this price with the tax and a state e-waste fee would have added about $350 to the total. Also locally the only place that has this TV is the Magnolia Best Buys, and there it is priced at $3300!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm9600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page