LG 55-inch LM9600 Hands On Review + Video - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 328 Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Although LG claims that all their Cinema Screen models have 5mm thin bezel, it looks like that only this model has met that specs. Other models all have a wider black strip around the display. In fact the width of 55LM9600 is 0.4" shorter than other 55" Cinema Screen Models
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 328 Old 05-15-2012, 03:58 AM

Liked: 10
Is anyone else concerned with the bad reviews this TV is getting?
Here is one from a quality reviewer, but I read plenty bad reports about black levels, terrible input lag.

trustedreviews. com/lg-47lm960v_TV_review

Also check the avforums for official LG lm960v thread, many issues and disgust there.

I'm yet to see it in store in Adelaide only available for order, good reports from shop staff but hard to judge without setting it and reading bad reviews.
post #213 of 328 Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 205
LG 2012 LM9600 Tips and Tricks By Joel Silver

Just got the new LG LM9600 for testing....

We found a couple of glitches that are easy to calibrate around, and here we will let you know about them.

1 - We calibrated it brand new, and after running it for about 100 hours we took reading again to see how out of the box calibration looks like after break in. There were significant differences so we can confirm that these LCDs with LED backlights do indeed need to be run in before calibration!

2 - NOTE - The main visual and measured glitch is a flash of blue from the screen upon making adjustments - after the initial flash, the adjustment takes hold properly, but that same flash sends your meters off the screen for a moment. Not a problem if you expect it!

3 - The "magic" remote, which is maddeningly hard to use for calibration. You will want a regular remote, or a universal with LG codes with them to save time and frustration.

4 - CMS primary color x,y points are close and hard to improve - luminance "Y" is off and easy to fix - then secondary points are easy to fix

5 - NOTE - White balance procedure -

(1) First use 2 point with external source

(2) Then use 20 point on internal patterns starting at 100 and working down to 10

(3) Then you will be reasonably close to JND

(4) If needed, touch up with external 10 step patterns by using the three surrounding 20 point adjustment levels (example, for a minor error at 40 IRE adjust at 35/40/45) and evaluate once again.

Screenshots leftout.

Thanks for the Info Joel

This must mean some of the sets are now in the US. Canada?
post #214 of 328 Old 05-15-2012, 12:33 PM

You should better test if any or all bugs of the european model also exist in the US model.
post #215 of 328 Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 26
i'll be waiting for the flatpanelshd review. They know LG panels well and they've been dead-on on their reviews for the most part. They recently reviewed ES8000 and HX850. Both garbage televisions for the money. They have screen shots of the clouding and light bleed on both. Terrible to say the least.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
post #216 of 328 Old 05-15-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

i'll be waiting for the flatpanelshd review. They know LG panels well and they've been dead-on on their reviews for the most part. They recently reviewed ES8000 and HX850. Both garbage televisions for the money. They have screen shots of the clouding and light bleed on both. Terrible to say the least.

this can be for sure real. maybe 960 garbage too. i test lm960 in market and it falter for all ways. I follow guide here LG reply with noso good respond for customers http://www.avforums.com/forums/16941339-post7.html

Lm960 Videos
http://youtu.be/aPkqn2xGKH0
http://youtu.be/hnzQlj_PM0A
post #217 of 328 Old 05-15-2012, 08:05 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Hmmm ..... are you reading the same FlatpanelsHD review of the ES8000 as I am? Or is my English comprehension faulty?? Here is their conclusion:

When it comes to picture quality, Samsung ES8000 gave us many reasons to applaud performance. ES8000 offers no dramatic picture improvements compared to last year's D8000, and we had hoped to see just a bit more, but in the end - and when compared to the competition - we still need to say that Samsung has a very competitive LCD-TV on their hands with ES8000. The most positive picture characteristics include deep black depth, fairly accurate colors in the Movie profile, fast response time and great-looking HD pictures. Our sample had no clouding issues to speak of but we know from experience that clouding can vary a lot from model to model so share your opinion in the forum thread.

All in all, ES8000 has the same strengths as its predecessor - and that is a good thing. We had a chance to compare it to most of the other new 2012 LED models during testing and we have no doubt that Samsung offers better picture characteristics in many areas. We are still not impressed with the Smart TV platform but features do not weigh much in our book; picture quality does and therefore we award ES8000 with our Highly Recommended Award.

Doesn't quite sound like a "garbage television" does it?? I'm not a fan and chose the Panasonic VT50 plasma instead. Just trying to keep the record straight.
post #218 of 328 Old 05-15-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:

You can't say that flatpanelshd is dead-on their reviews and then call the es8000 garbage after they give it an editors choice.

These forums are way to negative, I don't think I've ever been to a thread (unless a Panasonic plasma one) that everyone isn't complaining about something minuscule on a set. Its never what a set does well. I come here to get informed and usually end up not wanting to buy anything.

This forum is like webmd, you get a cough and you go online to find out what's going on and next thing you know you think you're dying.
post #219 of 328 Old 05-16-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mustache View Post

You can't say that flatpanelshd is dead-on their reviews and then call the es8000 garbage after they give it an editors choice.

These forums are way to negative, I don't think I've ever been to a thread (unless a Panasonic plasma one) that everyone isn't complaining about something minuscule on a set. Its never what a set does well. I come here to get informed and usually end up not wanting to buy anything.

This forum is like webmd, you get a cough and you go online to find out what's going on and next thing you know you think you're dying.

LOL...I have noticed the same thing. So glad it wasn't just me thinking that.
Everyone is quick to point out what is wrong with a TV even it if it is just one or two things, yet they never talk about what is GOOD with one.

A thorough review is one that points out everything about a TV, including the good and bad. Then the reader can decide whether it is the one they want based on the particular features that interest them the most and also what they can afford. It is hard to find one TV that is perfect in every aspect. If there is one, then point me to it. Especially if it doesn't make me go to the poor house.
post #220 of 328 Old 05-16-2012, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I see that Cnet just posted their review of this tv today and they didn't really have many good things to say except for its design. What the heck is going on with LG this year? They make a great lookin tv on the design aspect, but it's like they took a step backwards this year with quality. I just don't understand why the TVs don't always get better each year, and that just doesn't always seem to be the case.
post #221 of 328 Old 05-16-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post

Hmmm ..... are you reading the same FlatpanelsHD review of the ES8000 as I am? Or is my English comprehension faulty?? Here is their conclusion:

When it comes to picture quality, Samsung ES8000 gave us many reasons to applaud performance. ES8000 offers no dramatic picture improvements compared to last year's D8000, and we had hoped to see just a bit more, but in the end - and when compared to the competition - we still need to say that Samsung has a very competitive LCD-TV on their hands with ES8000. The most positive picture characteristics include deep black depth, fairly accurate colors in the Movie profile, fast response time and great-looking HD pictures. Our sample had no clouding issues to speak of but we know from experience that clouding can vary a lot from model to model so share your opinion in the forum thread.

All in all, ES8000 has the same strengths as its predecessor - and that is a good thing. We had a chance to compare it to most of the other new 2012 LED models during testing and we have no doubt that Samsung offers better picture characteristics in many areas. We are still not impressed with the Smart TV platform but features do not weigh much in our book; picture quality does and therefore we award ES8000 with our Highly Recommended Award.

Doesn't quite sound like a "garbage television" does it?? I'm not a fan and chose the Panasonic VT50 plasma instead. Just trying to keep the record straight.

I said for the money. I'm sure it looks beautiful in the daytime, but for videophiles that watch mostly at night, we'll be waiting for VT50 or LM9600(reputable reviews withstanding). I'd rather not waste my time in a panel lottery with a high-end Samsung. You shouldn't have to. I'd rather blow my hard earned cash on a $1500 Samsung from 2009, B8500. Still Samsung's ultimate television. Do you honestly think a $2800-$3200 television with flashlighting and clouding, isn't garbage? If you don't, to each his own. It seems everyone here is caught up in the little gadgets that come with these tv's, nowadays. That's great, but the little gadgets don't help PQ. LM9600 could very well be crap. If this thing doesn't live up to the 55LHX after 3 years of r&d, i'll call LM9600 garbage, too. Just opinion

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
post #222 of 328 Old 05-16-2012, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

We see how it's supposed to be built and look at CES. But then mention price, and everyone loses interest if it's not below $3000. So, to get it below $3000, something has to give - usually the great quality that you saw at CES that would sell for $4000 Plus. But, no one is willing to shell out for that price!
Have 2 55LHXs - originally built to sell for $6000! But no one will pay that kind of money for an LG TV. After 6 months, production halted rather than cheapen the build. (Although there is suspicion the March 2010 may have been cheapened.) What did I pay for the 55LHXs - less than $3000 each - a great deal on a great TV. Have been waiting for a newer technology TV to replace them, but every year a great hope, only to see them dashed as LG builds the TVs to sell for under $3000. At this point in time, time to forget the 55LM9600, (Just like last year's 55LW9800 promise) and watch for the results on the newer 4K OLED.
post #223 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:

I said for the money. I'm sure it looks beautiful in the daytime, but for videophiles that watch mostly at night, we'll be waiting for VT50 or LM9600(reputable reviews withstanding). I'd rather not waste my time in a panel lottery with a high-end Samsung. You shouldn't have to. I'd rather blow my hard earned cash on a $1500 Samsung from 2009, B8500. Still Samsung's ultimate television. Do you honestly think a $2800-$3200 television with flashlighting and clouding, isn't garbage? If you don't, to each his own. It seems everyone here is caught up in the little gadgets that come with these tv's, nowadays. That's great, but the little gadgets don't help PQ. LM9600 could very well be crap. If this thing doesn't live up to the 55LHX after 3 years of r&d, i'll call LM9600 garbage, too. Just opinion

If youd actually do some research you would find that the LM9600 IS garbage, it has so many flaws its practically unusable (dont take my word for it, take the owners over at avforums). Also the Sony HX850 review @ flatpanels is bogus, he did not test this set with local dimming ON, which makes the whole clouding test useless. Any edge-lit set with their local dimming features turned off would produce clouding. Aaaand again if you read the owners opinion about this set you'd be surpriced on how many people are stating this set does not have any clouding at all(with local dimming turned ON). And that my friend, is a TV worth its money.
post #224 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaviator View Post

I see that Cnet just posted their review of this tv today and they didn't really have many good things to say except for its design. What the heck is going on with LG this year? They make a great lookin tv on the design aspect, but it's like they took a step backwards this year with quality. I just don't understand why the TVs don't always get better each year, and that just doesn't always seem to be the case.

Their flagship had bad reviews last year also, it seems they have fallen pq standard wize over the last few years.
post #225 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 10:57 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Mustache View Post

well said ^^
post #226 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Do people not read around here? I said, "for...the...money". Most here seemed to go over those words and right to the word "garbage". All these tv's are gorgeous, there is no doubt about it, but the overall performance just isn't there. I can get better for less money with an older television(and newer for less $ in an ST50). I just think it's pathetic. That's my opinion. After reading the review from cnet and reading into it, it's obvious LG pulled the wool over everyone again and cheaped out. That's very sad. You have the tech to make the tv practically flawless and you blow it.

Samsung 60F8500
LG 55LHX
LG BH200
2 PS3's
post #227 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:

Do people not read around here? I said, "for...the...money". Most here seemed to go over those words and right to the word "garbage". All these tv's are gorgeous, there is no doubt about it, but the overall performance just isn't there. I can get better for less money with an older television(and newer for less $ in an ST50). I just think it's pathetic. That's my opinion. After reading the review from cnet and reading into it, it's obvious LG pulled the wool over everyone again and cheaped out. That's very sad. You have the tech to make the tv practically flawless and you blow it.

Thats the internet for you. its either amazing or garbage. no in between. Personally i like the tv from what i've seen, and i know i could get it for a lot cheaper then the retail price tag. I wouldnt take CNET's review to seriously. from what i've seen, unless its a plasma, LED's tend to get pretty low reviews on that site.
post #228 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed full array local dimming and they can't get uniformity, Shadow detail, or pull off deep black levels is confusing. Maybe it's the nano film or they need better algorithms for the dimming. I don't know but the spec list would suggest winning combo, what went wrong.
post #229 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlzfan84 View Post

Thats the internet for you. its either amazing or garbage. no in between. Personally i like the tv from what i've seen, and i know i could get it for a lot cheaper then the retail price tag. I wouldnt take CNET's review to seriously. from what i've seen, unless its a plasma, LED's tend to get pretty low reviews on that site.

I'm sure for the average user this tv is great. Cnet is telling what they found and comparing it to tvs in its top-tier price range and the tv just doesn't stack up well. Maybe if it was cheaper it wouldn't be so bad but a deal as a lower end midrange offering. Cnet places high marks on screen uniformity, Color accuracy, black levels and video video processing. Plasmas tend to do all these things well so yes they are rated well on cnet, if a LCD tv scores well in these areas they will rate it high too.
post #230 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt View Post

I agree that these are not real reviews, but they do give us more information and impressions. I don't think we will see a real review (like the reviews on televisioninfo and flatpanelshd), until the TV has been out for at least a month.

Funnily enough, dated April 9. I check their site regularly, yet didn't notice it until today. Weird review.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/conten...DTV-Review.htm
post #231 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM

There is still hope for this TV. Value Electronics holds the flat panel shoot out this weekend and they are very detailed. Maybe, just maybe, their reviews will come out positive !!
post #232 of 328 Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 PM

In other news, LG slashed their Australian TV warranty from 3 years to 1.
post #233 of 328 Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The Value Electronics HDTV Showdown was missing the 55LM9600 - missed getting there, or was cut for not measuring up?
post #234 of 328 Old 05-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

The Value Electronics HDTV Showdown was missing the 55LM9600 - missed getting there, or was cut for not measuring up?

[conjecture mode On]
LG would cut if their entry was sub-par, rather than endure the wrath of us critics and reviewers.[/conjecture mode Off]

A European colleague has suggested that you can't do fine grained local dimming with FPR tech.. and he makes a compelling argument.

Without local dimming, IPS panels suffer, big-time. As is known.

-nony
post #235 of 328 Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11
It seems in the USA that this set is available via Amazon.com. Yesterday it was still listed as "available for Pre-Order" and today it is available.

I'll wait to see a few actual owner reviews and some reliable websites before pulling the expensive trigger.

Also, the glossy screen that has been mentioned earlier in this thread and that has been discussed on other LG models (I'm guessing they're using the same glossy screen cover) is no more reflective than an old tube tv. All my current tvs are 20 years old or older. I can handle that level of reflection.

Meanwhile, I agree with those who say that this forum has a general tone of negativity. So many posters complain about a feature or something like it will completely ruin the viewing experience.

Finally, Eugene Polly died recently. He invented the remote control. Just thought you might find that fact interesting. Condolences to his loved ones.
post #236 of 328 Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonChaser View Post

....Finally, Eugene Polly died recently. He invented the remote control. Just thought you might find that fact interesting. Condolences to his loved ones.

A hero to every man out there but maybe not their wives.

RIP Eugene!
post #237 of 328 Old 05-23-2012, 05:17 PM

What's the difference between the 60LM9600 and the 55LM9600 (besides the obvious 5 inches)?
post #238 of 328 Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizonchaser View Post

what's the difference between the 60lm9600 and the 55lm9600 (besides the obvious 5 inches)?

55lm9600 =
60lm9600 =
post #239 of 328 Old 05-24-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxwolf View Post

55lm9600 =
60lm9600 =

I was looking more for technical specification differences.
post #240 of 328 Old 05-24-2012, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizonChaser View Post

What's the difference between the 60LM9600 and the 55LM9600 (besides the obvious 5 inches)?

No nano dimming on the 60".
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm9600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page