LG 55-inch LM9600 Hands On Review + Video - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a review I made. It was posted in a diff section however people told me to post it here as it would be a better fit.

Before seeing this review please take the following into consideration.

1) I am not a professional, no professional equipment (calman, avs cd, any software) was used, Any comments made by me are simply my opinion only. I do however consider myself somewhat informed when it comes to telling if a TV has great picture or not ( I have worked with numerous top TVs since 2008).

2) I made this in a short amount of time

3) If you have suggestions, please give them to me as I will do a hands on for the OLED TV soon and want to make it the best as possible.

4) The picture settings that were used in the TV were the best IMO at the time as I was simply recording what "looked" the best on my camcorder screen.

5) This TV is the U.S. version. The Remote was unavailable so I had to take whatever they gave me which ended up being the taiwanese remote.

Here you go http://www.gosugadget.com/2012/03/20...by-tvgosu.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
Once again thanks for your brief review. If they had made a 65" or 70" version of the set I would have bought it in a heartbeat. If I remember correctly LGs list had a 60" version which would be too small.
post #3 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 04:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the review. I have been waiting for full array passive 3d for a while. LG screwed up their LW9800 last year, and hope this time they do it right. I actually returned the 55LW9800 and get the Sharp Elite, but I still can not stand the active 3d and poor viewing ankle.
by the way, where you get the Tv, it is out already?
I am waiting for the 60", the 60LM9600 now, after I have the sharp.
post #4 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How does this TV compare to the Samsung ES8000? I am having a tough time deciding between the ES8000 and this LG.

Was there any uniformity problems?

Do you have anymoe detais that were not in the review?
post #5 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 21
anyone have a link of how the 9 series compares to the 6 and 7 series in price? I guess i'm looking in wrong places.

post #6 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh87 View Post

Thanks for the review. I have been waiting for full array passive 3d for a while. LG screwed up their LW9800 last year, and hope this time they do it right. I actually returned the 55LW9800 and get the Sharp Elite, but I still can not stand the active 3d and poor viewing ankle.
by the way, where you get the Tv, it is out already?
I am waiting for the 60", the 60LM9600 now, after I have the sharp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt View Post

How does this TV compare to the Samsung ES8000? I am having a tough time deciding between the ES8000 and this LG.

Was there any uniformity problems?

Do you have anymoe detais that were not in the review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgmun5000 View Post

Once again thanks for your brief review. If they had made a 65" or 70" version of the set I would have bought it in a heartbeat. If I remember correctly LGs list had a 60" version which would be too small.

This TV will be released in 65" sizes.

I seen the Samsung ES8000 75" in person and it was a disappointment. I saw the pictures and videos beforehand @ CES and they looked amazing however when I seen the TV last month, it was too much like the UND series. (UND8000). The TV was way too bright, and when you turn on the microdimming or down the brightness, the picture gets too dull. The stand seemed pretty cute at first but after watching for a few minutes the side ends of the stand start to become a distraction. The good thing about the ES8000 was great contrast ratio, but other than that its a

Oh yea, I forgot to include in the review, I didn't notice any halo banding with the mouse when I briefly hooked the TV up to my laptop. Also the TV had a floor stand but I forgot to hook it up. The TV was too heavy and by the time I realized it my friend was gone.

This TV is not released yet. LG hasn't told me the exact date but we can expect by April. I got a chance to get the TV through some connections in the entertainment industry in Korea that are heavily sponsored by LG / Samsung.
post #7 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 08:29 PM

Liked: 18
Thanks for that review. I hope to see more positive ones in the next couple of weeks. I recently purchased the D7900/8000 and I'm a lil disappointed with the flashlighting and minor cloud issues when watching this set in the dark. I'm also starting to notice horizontal banding. I really hope the LG 55LM9600 doesn't have these issues. I'm also worried about PQ when going from shutter to passive. My last 3 sets have been Samsung, so I hope I don't regret making the switch. My friend is going to let me switch it out when they come in
post #8 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 08:55 PM

Thank you very much Gosugadget for posting a brief review of this tv. It looks very nice...will you be doing some calibrations to it soon? And you could you tell us what video mode you had this on (for example, thx, vivid, theatre, etc) or was it basically custom settings?

How did you manage to get your hands on a set by the way? I thought there are some reports floating around that LG will not be releasing this until the 2nd half of the year? When you mentioned April, do you mean released in Korean markets in April or the North American markets in April?

Once again thanks for the personal review. I look forward to more in-depth reviews from you, especially with some ISFccc calibrations so we can see how the tv fares in a optimally calibrated mode using CalMan and a sensor (that's if you are able to get that done!). This is one of 3 LED tv's that I currently have at the top of my tv list (the other two being the Samsung ES8000 and Panasonic's WT50 model.

Cheers,
J-Dogg

P.S. I look forward to your review of LG's OLED tv. It looks very nice for a 1st Gen 55" tv!
post #9 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM

^^ As much as I'd want an OLED, I'm afraid they're going to be ridiculously priced...at least for the next couple of years.
post #10 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threefiddie View Post

anyone have a link of how the 9 series compares to the 6 and 7 series in price? I guess i'm looking in wrong places.

Here is a link to the prices:

Here is a link to a model overview:
post #11 of 328 Old 03-23-2012, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2PLAYDAGAME View Post

^^ As much as I'd want an OLED, I'm afraid they're going to be ridiculously priced...at least for the next couple of years.

I wouldnt say extremely overpriced. Sure they will be expensive but I believe you will get what you pay for. Around $8000USD will seem logical. Torwards the end of the year, the 84" 4k passive LM9600 will be around 10 grand. Honestly I would get that over the OLED TV. IMO.
post #12 of 328 Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 AM

i would get the oled instead for 2 reasons, it would be like 2k cheaper (even tho we dont know actual prices lets just go with the prices you mentioned for arguments sake) and 84" is too big for my apartment so i'll stick with 55" but on the other hand if I actually owned a house and had a big enough of a family room then the 84" might look better...it really all depends on how big the room is and whether the tv would look too big in it or not.

So Gosu, do you think you will be able to get the opportunity to calibrate the LM9600 and the WT50 that you also did a brief review of too? I know you mentioned you don't have the software and a calibrating sensor to do that...but since you have some insiders in the entertainment industry, im sure there has to be someone who lives near you that would be willing to do the calibration for you for free because they want to see those 2 tvs in person and to see how they look post-calibrated I mean I would be willing to do that for you for free if I lived near you and I owned calman and a sensor. I would love to have my hands touch those 2 tvs before anyone else can buy one from the store yet! hehe
post #13 of 328 Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Are those dates official? I was hoping we would see the 55LM9600 in the US by this time next month
post #14 of 328 Old 03-24-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

thanks!

seems to be only difference between the 9600 and the 7600 for a 55 inch is $1k and a processor difference with nano led on 9600 and led+ on 7600.... personally not worth 1k to me. :-/

post #15 of 328 Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM

My friend is a manager @ PC Richard. He said he will be talking to their buyer on Monday and he'll find out when 55" 9600 will be coming in. I'll keep you guys posted.
post #16 of 328 Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks!

seems to be only difference between the 9600 and the 7600 for a 55 inch is $1k and a processor difference with nano led on 9600 and led+ on 7600.... personally not worth 1k to me. :-/

its not 1k, probably 800. You also forgot to mention the design and a overall much better picture.

I would say 2012 is the year of the flagships. This TV and the Panasonic VT50 are just too good.
post #17 of 328 Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 PM

I was reading an article on Gizmo Vision...This excerpt has me confused :

The LG LM9600 would have certainly won the “Best of CES” award if not for the OLED TVs. Everyone was pretty much shocked at the TVs LG presented at CES. The new Cinema Screen design was certainly not anything people anticipated from the conservative company. This all-new chrome look with a virtually non-existing bezel gives off a breath of fresh air for the TVs that looked horrid design-wise in 2011. I thought I wasn’t going to see an improvement in picture quality for passive 3D TVs but I was wrong. LG introduced a 4k Ultra definition TV that was able to deliver 1920x1080 resolution per eye for the first time ever. They also presented an all-new integration of Google TV to its smart TV interface. It runs on the android OS and looks very tempting and the ease of use looked incredible. LG also redesigned their absolutely horrid-looking Cinema 3D glasses from 2011. They teamed up with Alain Mikli and Oakley and showed a few designs which looked impressively good, good enough to wear outside as normal sunglasses. Overall, LG seems to be an excellent contender and leader for 2012. We’ll have to just wait and see what comes of it in the next few months.

So is the 9600 able to do 1920x1080 per eye, passive or are they talking about another LG TV?
post #18 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:

So is the 9600 able to do 1920x1080 per eye, passive or are they talking about another LG TV?

They are talking about the right model # but applies only to the 84" tv because of all the LM9600 tv's only the 84" will be in 4K resolution. Since it will be in that resolution...it will have enough pixels to give passive 3D the same Full HD that active 3D has.

I think that's stupid that they are giving this 84" 4K monster the same model number. There are some differences/features that this tv will have/be missing from the other LM9600's.

For example since it will have a resolution of 3840x2160, it doesn't have the NANO LED screen. Also I believe it has edge LED backlighting unlike its smaller-sized (46" and 55") brethren, which have full array LED but I may be wrong but initial reports are saying this. I think we'll find out later on this year! That is if they do actually come out with this behemoth.

Other than that I think all the features are pretty much the same? We'll have to wait and see!
post #19 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was really wanting a 60" but with these tv's being almost edgeless I May be able to squeeze in a 65. Whatever I get next MUST have local dimming, must handle motion well, must have accurate colors, must have good processing and must be a step up from my Pioneer 5080HD. I was set on Sharps 945 but that is now a question mark. Sony's XBR 929 is impressive but the 65 is just too big for my living room.

I'm a bit nervous about LG to be honest, how is the greyscale tracking and color accuracy? I know a few years ago they had issue but a few years is a LONG time in the tv world right now.

Based on the links Eclipse posted they'll be offering none of their top tier models in 60 or 65 inch size???
post #20 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

thanks!

You are so very wrong. One is a full array locally dimmed LED(9600), one is not(7600). 2 totally different animals and PQ's
post #21 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

You are so very wrong. One is a full array locally dimmed LED(9600), one is not(7600). 2 totally different animals and PQ's

you are wrong, the 7600 does have local dimming that's exactly what LG's LED+ is.... plus before you lash out at people, i did say it's an opinion.

post #22 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:

you are wrong, the 7600 does have local dimming that's exactly what LG's LED+ is.... plus before you lash out at people, i did say it's an opinion.

Actually you are both right. However, the LM9600 features the much better nano LED local dimming. If you really care about PQ, I would recomend waiting for the LM9600.
post #23 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Actually you are both right. However, the LM9600 features the much better nano LED local dimming. If you really care about PQ, I would recomend waiting for the LM9600.

According to LG the only difference between NANO LED's and the regular LED's is the thickness of the LED. Nano being much thinner but both provide the same PQ assuming the same processing/arrangement.

Is this not true?
post #24 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95 View Post

According to LG the only difference between NANO LED's and the regular LED's is the thickness of the LED. Nano being much thinner but both provide the same PQ assuming the same processing/arrangement.

Is this not true?

But isn't the 9600 full array backlighting and the others are not? That's what I'm most looking forward to. The Samsung edge lighting is pissing me off!

*EDIT* I'm surprised there isn't more reviews out by now
post #25 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 03:00 PM

gosugadget,

Thanks for the review.

Is it less reflective than the LX9500, LW9500 - the flagships of the past 2 years? Does it have a glass pane front like they did?
post #26 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I'm a bit nervous about LG to be honest, how is the greyscale tracking and color accuracy? I know a few years ago they had issue but a few years is a LONG time in the tv world right now.

Well apparently in the LM9600 series they are offering 20 pt IRE for grayscale and 3D CMS (Color Management System), which means it now adds support for luminance. So if this is true it sounds like LG has listened to some of the customer's complaints about the grayscale and color accuracy and is now attempting to improve on this for their flagship series. I'm not saying this is completely true or not, I'm just letting you know that I read about this in other postings.

Hopefully this is true because this would definitely help to make this tv worthy of calibrating to get a top-notch picture and maybe compete with Sharp Elite for best picture quality. We'll see!
post #27 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But isn't the 9600 full array backlighting and the others are not? That's what I'm most looking forward to. The Samsung edge lighting is pissing me off!

*EDIT* I'm surprised there isn't more reviews out by now

7600 has the same full array. edge and back light and local dimming. thats what LED+ is.

post #28 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Dogg View Post

Well apparently in the LM9600 series they are offering 20 pt IRE for grayscale and 3D CMS (Color Management System), which means it now adds support for luminance. So if this is true it sounds like LG has listened to some of the customer's complaints about the grayscale and color accuracy and is now attempting to improve on this for their flagship series. I'm not saying this is completely true or not, I'm just letting you know that I read about this in other postings.

In most of the reviews I've seen, LG is lambasted for poor contrast and lauded for viewing angles and colour accuracy (often out of the box).
post #29 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 03:27 PM

^True but I think most tv's out of the box settings generally suck for any combination of poor contrast, color accuracy, viewing angles or all of the above combined.

But I'm not here to defend LG's tvs or mock them. I look forward to seeing the LM9600 in person and see for myself whether I like it enough to buy one. I live in Ontario, Canada so we have to wait a bit longer than the Americans for the new models (any of them) to arrive in stores. Even the LG Canada website sucks big time...none of the new models are on the website yet! LOL

P.S. I did like Gosu's review and hope he provides more in-depth review of that model. So far it looks like a winner but we'll see!
post #30 of 328 Old 03-25-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Is this not true?

I belive the nano LED has much smaller dimming zones. This would reduce halos and produce better uniforminty.

Also I'm sure LG has done some software improvements to the LM9600 series to futher improve PQ.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Cinema Screen 55lm9600 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page