Samsung UN46ES6100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I just bought this tv to be delivered soon. I couldn't find a thread on it and think these replace the D6000 series. Anyone know details on this new model? I always look for an owners thread and grab some calibration settings that someone has already done........but that doesn't appear to be a possibility in this case. Any Samsung gurus know if this has an identical panel n lighting system to a current model or all new improvements? I have several cal discs so maybe I'll provide some cal data and start an owners thread. My main tube is a Panny plasma VT25 54"' and a slightly older 50PZ80U Panny plasma. I do have a 19" D4000 that I think looks great for a small tv.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL....looks like I just posed the same exact question right when you did:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1401635

It looked like it is different from the D6000 as in:

1. Had a semi-matte screen
2. Thin bezel
3. Built in Wi-Fi
4. Built in Browser

I'm mainly curious to see if there is still a lot of flashlighting/clouding
post #3 of 9 Old 03-23-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadin19 View Post

LOL....looks like I just posed the same exact question right when you did:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1401635

It looked like it is different from the D6000 as in:

1. Had a semi-matte screen
2. Thin bezel
3. Built in Wi-Fi
4. Built in Browser

I'm mainly curious to see if there is still a lot of flashlighting/clouding

Cool........did you pick one up or just inquiring? I guess I didn't realize they were this new. Hopefully I'll have it in 7-10 days. Is flashlighting just hot or bright spots in the lighting system or like a halo effect? Anyway, I read where it has great color...bordering on a little over-saturation but can be dialed back with calibration and really good blacks. We'll see

-Kevin

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

post #4 of 9 Old 03-23-2012, 07:10 PM

I just saw it on display but did not pick it up. Flashlighting is basically light bleeding in from the edges corners of the screen, clouding is more or less hot spots. Yes the review said blacks were nice, but I dont have a black problem on my D6000, but the flashlights kill me
post #5 of 9 Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungadin19 View Post

I just saw it on display but did not pick it up. Flashlighting is basically light bleeding in from the edges corners of the screen, clouding is more or less hot spots. Yes the review said blacks were nice, but I dont have a black problem on my D6000, but the flashlights kill me

Gotcha. Well I've seen flashlighting on just about every LCD tv or LCD monitor I've ever viewed, but that's looking for it up close with a dark screen. It's never bothered me from normal viewing distances with day to day content. It's gotta be really bad on some units then as much as I see it brought up. There is no excuse for hot spots or clouding IMHO given how many generations we are into panels, LEDs and backlighting design/technique/implementation.

-Kevin

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

post #6 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I just bought this tv to be delivered soon. I couldn't find a thread on it and think these replace the D6000 series. Anyone know details on this new model? I always look for an owners thread and grab some calibration settings that someone has already done........but that doesn't appear to be a possibility in this case. Any Samsung gurus know if this has an identical panel n lighting system to a current model or all new improvements? I have several cal discs so maybe I'll provide some cal data and start an owners thread. My main tube is a Panny plasma VT25 54"' and a slightly older 50PZ80U Panny plasma. I do have a 19" D4000 that I think looks great for a small tv.

I'm in the same boat. I just got this tv yesterday and couldn't find any calibration settings. (I don't know much about TV's, but I'm good with technology in general (mostly cell phones, computers, tablets, and networking) - I was told by a tv-knowledgeable friend to look for the settings online.) From the info I came across, it was recommended to try to find a similar tv and use those settings since nothing is posted for this unit yet - They should be close, if not exact. Since this tv is replacing the 6000 series, I used the settings for that (found here: *EDIT: I can't post links until I have 3 posts on these forums. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you the link*).

Since I'm no tv expert, I'm not sure if they look right...And now I'm obsessing over it. Ha! Sometimes -- according to my own personal preference -- it looks great, and other times the colors look a little dulled/muted down, almost a little whitewashed.

I also found this guide to doing it from scratch: *EDIT: I can't post links until I have 3 posts on these forums. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you the link*. I may give this a shot this weekend. (Apparently "THX certified" DVD's have a calibration tool built into them.)

So far, I really LOVE this tv, but I already have a complaint, ha!... I wish that you could mess with the picture settings and save those settings with a different name. For example, in the link I posted, they revise the default "movie" settings, but I wish I could save those as "movie_revised_1" or something, in order to keep the default "movie" settings as well. It's easy enough to reset them back to default, but it'd be nice if I could create a bunch of different setups while I'm figuring this thing out.

What settings are you using? Any advice? Tips? If I figure out anything groundbreaking over the weekend, I'll be sure to post back here
post #7 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt9779 View Post

I'm in the same boat. I just got this tv yesterday and couldn't find any calibration settings. (I don't know much about TV's, but I'm good with technology in general (mostly cell phones, computers, tablets, and networking) - I was told by a tv-knowledgeable friend to look for the settings online.) From the info I came across, it was recommended to try to find a similar tv and use those settings since nothing is posted for this unit yet - They should be close, if not exact. Since this tv is replacing the 6000 series, I used the settings for that (found here: *EDIT: I can't post links until I have 3 posts on these forums. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you the link*).

Since I'm no tv expert, I'm not sure if they look right...And now I'm obsessing over it. Ha! Sometimes -- according to my own personal preference -- it looks great, and other times the colors look a little dulled/muted down, almost a little whitewashed.

I also found this guide to doing it from scratch: *EDIT: I can't post links until I have 3 posts on these forums. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you the link*. I may give this a shot this weekend. (Apparently "THX certified" DVD's have a calibration tool built into them.)

So far, I really LOVE this tv, but I already have a complaint, ha!... I wish that you could mess with the picture settings and save those settings with a different name. For example, in the link I posted, they revise the default "movie" settings, but I wish I could save those as "movie_revised_1" or something, in order to keep the default "movie" settings as well. It's easy enough to reset them back to default, but it'd be nice if I could create a bunch of different setups while I'm figuring this thing out.

What settings are you using? Any advice? Tips? If I figure out anything groundbreaking over the weekend, I'll be sure to post back here

I have a few calibration discs such as Digital Video Essentials blu ray version, and Spears and Munsil blu version. I'll use one of those but probably can't get around to it until Friday night or the weekend. Also check out the 55es6100 thread.

-Kevin

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

post #8 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 12:21 PM

We need to create an official UNxxES6100 thread. Ordered the Disney WOW calibration disc to get a different view from the Avia. Will recalibrate mine tomorrow as well and we'll compare. So far I'm very happy with the tv. Very little glare in our bright room and blacks look very good.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46es6100 46 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page