The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Toshiba L6200U/L7200U Passive-3D Owner's Thread... - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 392 Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I ending up maxing out the res to, i also changed from mp4/x264 setup to straight mpeg, and had things work too, i forget how i got 1.5 DLNA to work exactly but i'll have a look when i get home as to what i actually have for settings.

I'm not to happy about the aspect ratio, and have you noticed the blue tint when you transcode?
It stretches everything to full screen, and all my lovely black bars are nowhere to be see lol

Wild is horrible to use, massively over complicated, with way to many settings that can be changed, seem to do exactly the same thing, and make the entire process way more difficult than needed, I also hate the fact they don't even use remotley compatible config setups.

At least Serviio PS3 Media Center and a few other's use similar terms Wild seem's to be in it's own little world, so I'm hoping something else will work.

Here is the link to the Toshiba Forum where Rambug posted up his Wild Settings.

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions/47L6200U-DLNA-Issues/td-p/348570

@ Matt - Make PS3 Media Server work for me lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 392 Old 12-10-2012, 05:15 PM

Yeah, Im going to be using serviio. I dont like ps3 media server :/ That said, going to try serviio today or tomorrow. See if I can get it going.
post #273 of 392 Old 12-15-2012, 07:29 PM

So, little update, WMS works for me, without resizing or stretching my videos. You can find all the details on the toshiba forums. Still no response from them at all. Sad. http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions/47L6200U-DLNA-Issues/td-p/348570/highlight/false/page/2

Since I am having issues with serviio (wont start with my custom profile), so maybe I will give ps3 server a try...
post #274 of 392 Old 12-15-2012, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattMatt View Post

So, little update, WMS works for me, without resizing or stretching my videos. You can find all the details on the toshiba forums. Still no response from them at all. Sad. http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions/47L6200U-DLNA-Issues/td-p/348570/highlight/false/page/2
Since I am having issues with serviio (wont start with my custom profile), so maybe I will give ps3 server a try...

Thats what i wanna hear, ill change to your new settings in Wild asap give it a go, I'll be stoked if you can organise something in PSM.

I got totally pissed with the entire thing today and went and picked up a Roku 2 XS.

It's pretty powerful, but the fact i have to run plex media server on the pc kinda bugs me, im about done with the entire transcode bs, it just ruins the entire point.
But I really dunno if i can step away from XBMC at this point, its hand's down the best media center app going, just need a dedicated box to run it.

Just trying to work out the best option,
- Roku & Plex is at least semi XBMC'y but needs major skin improvements @ $115
- ATV2 Is to slow and dont do native 1080p @ $200-300
- PS3 is mega powerful bluray multipurpose, but has no XBMC and requires PSM @$200-300
- Pivos Xios looks promising but needs more ram, and XBMC for it needs more development @$115

The more i mess with this tv the more i like the picture quality, i just wish it had some better codec support and a few more app's.
post #275 of 392 Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukiex View Post

The more i mess with this tv the more i like the picture quality, i just wish it had some better codec support and a few more app's.
Same here. I love the picture and the streaming sort of works with some not so great software and lots of setting changes... Really I am doing all this just to see if I can. I am definitely getting a Samsung bluray, because the Samsung AllShare DLNA just works very well.
post #276 of 392 Old 12-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Liked: 10
My TV just died and I need a replacement ASAP. Thinking about picking up an 47L6200U.

How is it for gaming, watching movies, the 3D quality and being connected to a PC (web surfing and gaming)? The impression I gave is that it is solid, but the refresh rate may be too low. Thoughts?

Thanks!
post #277 of 392 Old 12-18-2012, 09:30 PM

Hey matty / Duke,

Can you give a little more walkthrough on how to get a media server working? Are you loading this just onto your computer or to your ps3/xbox?

I've been trying to do something to my computer so that the TV can view the files over the network, but it hasnt quite worked out.

I also have a WD My Book 3.0TB USB 3.0 external drive that does not get recognized by the TV. But a little flash drive works just fine. I was hoping I could install something to the hard drive that would make it work.
post #278 of 392 Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decado2 View Post

My TV just died and I need a replacement ASAP. Thinking about picking up an 47L6200U.
How is it for gaming, watching movies, the 3D quality and being connected to a PC (web surfing and gaming)? The impression I gave is that it is solid, but the refresh rate may be too low. Thoughts?
Thanks!
No issues at all as far as that goes. All issues are with the "smart" part of the TV, at least on my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboe View Post

Hey matty / Duke,
Can you give a little more walkthrough on how to get a media server working? Are you loading this just onto your computer or to your ps3/xbox?
I've been trying to do something to my computer so that the TV can view the files over the network, but it hasnt quite worked out.
I also have a WD My Book 3.0TB USB 3.0 external drive that does not get recognized by the TV. But a little flash drive works just fine. I was hoping I could install something to the hard drive that would make it work.
I am able to stream from my PC to the TV over WiFi completely stable using Wild Media Server and settings found in the thread at Toshiba: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions/47L6200U-DLNA-Issues/td-p/348570/highlight/false/page/2
If you have more questions about the settings or dont understand something, post here and I will try and explain why this TV is soooo dumb.
That said, Serviio has dead ended for me and I have not tried PS3/Universal Media Server yet (more software for the pc). Time is money and I will gladly do OT and sell more phones. I like tripling my pay cheque wink.gif

Your My Book will be NTFS formatted. Meaning it uses a file system your TV cannot read. Stupid Microsoft and their proprietary garbage. The TVs read FAT32, if you are lucky, maybe exFat, havent tried. To change it to FAT32 on Windows youll need to use this: http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm
But you will lose all data on it, so back it up if you need it.
post #279 of 392 Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 AM

The 55L6200 is posted for a Canadian Boxing dale sale at 'theSource'. $997.99. I'm just about to move into a new house and need a 55" TV for our living room. Couple questions to those that frequent this forum and understand the pro / cons / technicals of this TV

• If for some reason you all of sudden didn't have this TV anymore, would you consider buying it again?
  • $997 - Deal ... or no Deal?
  • Does anybody have their TV set up to a reciever (5.1 or 7.1).
  • Does the ARC work as adevertised? (it should... I'm just being cautious).
  • Do all HDMI inputs on this TV support ARC?
  • Has anybody tried to make the TV spearkers their center channel and use other speakers for their Left / Right
    *If yes - how did you return the audio from the center channel on your reciever to the TV so the TV outputs your center channel through it's speakers... it doesn't have any RCA audio in... so I'm confused? Maybe the PC audio in? Isn't that mono?
post #280 of 392 Old 12-20-2012, 02:51 PM

mind, I have the 47, but I would buy it again.
source has good deals and their warranty is in house, so not bad.
probably need to web order. stores don't always have that size in stock.

pc audio is in is stereo.
post #281 of 392 Old 12-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Was looking to get an LG lm 6xxx television (such as 55LM6200 55LM6400 55LM6700) But then I read about the 'scandal' regarding how it's not really 120 Hz trumotion, but in fact a 60 Hz panel using a mediocre black frame insertion technique to claim '120 Hz trumotion'. I did not want image tearing, or issues with 3D smearing either.

The Toshiba 55L6200U seems like a nice alternative, and some of the previous messages hint that it used the panel of 55LM7600, which is apparently actual 120 Hz.

But there were also messages saying it has the same panel as the 55LM6700, and also a couple people mentioned being dissatisfied with Toshiba and moving to LG.

What is the latest consensus on the 120 Hz capability of this TV, and whether the 3D is decent or not?
post #282 of 392 Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neild View Post

Was looking to get an LG lm 6xxx television (such as 55LM6200 55LM6400 55LM6700) But then I read about the 'scandal' regarding how it's not really 120 Hz trumotion, but in fact a 60 Hz panel using a mediocre black frame insertion technique to claim '120 Hz trumotion'. I did not want image tearing, or issues with 3D smearing either.
The Toshiba 55L6200U seems like a nice alternative, and some of the previous messages hint that it used the panel of 55LM7600, which is apparently actual 120 Hz.
But there were also messages saying it has the same panel as the 55LM6700, and also a couple people mentioned being dissatisfied with Toshiba and moving to LG.
What is the latest consensus on the 120 Hz capability of this TV, and whether the 3D is decent or not?
That all depends on what you want, I still love mine just wish they made a bigger one but whatever...If you want APPS then get LG or just go best bang for the money
post #283 of 392 Old 12-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

That all depends on what you want, I still love mine just wish they made a bigger one but whatever...If you want APPS then get LG or just go best bang for the money

Appreciate the response, but still wondering if anyone can speak to the actual 120 Hz capability of this TV? Is it truly 120 Hz, or does it suffer the same issue as LG's 120 Hz model that's actually only 60 Hz?
post #284 of 392 Old 12-23-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:

Appreciate the response, but still wondering if anyone can speak to the actual 120 Hz capability of this TV? Is it truly 120 Hz, or does it suffer the same issue as LG's 120 Hz model that's actually only 60 Hz?
Well from the photos I took months ago pretty sure it has a lg6700 panel although someone claimed before that it was AUO panel he has yet to show proof...I do watch sports like baseball and football either way I do not have any problems...I do not know about the 120hz problem I had the LG 55lm8600 and my toshiba picture looks the same...Maybe try a Vizio? I really don't know what you are looking for...
post #285 of 392 Old 12-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

Well from the photos I took months ago pretty sure it has a lg6700 panel although someone claimed before that it was AUO panel he has yet to show proof...I do watch sports like baseball and football either way I do not have any problems...I do not know about the 120hz problem I had the LG 55lm8600 and my toshiba picture looks the same...Maybe try a Vizio? I really don't know what you are looking for...

Thanks! Vizio isn't available here or I probably would consider it.

What I'm worried about is any jittering or tearing when the picture is panning from side to side. I've usually used plasmas, but now with the more economical LED's I think they are cutting corners on refresh rate and processing, which sometimes could lead to this effect. Once you notice it happening it's hard to ignore!
post #286 of 392 Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:

Thanks! Vizio isn't available here or I probably would consider it.
What I'm worried about is any jittering or tearing when the picture is panning from side to side. I've usually used plasmas, but now with the more economical LED's I think they are cutting corners on refresh rate and processing, which sometimes could lead to this effect. Once you notice it happening it's hard to ignore!
I hear ya, Only advice I got for you is make a demo thumb drive and test the TV's you got in mind...My guess is you are gonna end up with another plasma happy hunting
post #287 of 392 Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Hi guys,

I just bought the 55L6200 today in Best buy for $977+tax CAD in BestBuy(Boxing Day) smile.gif

I bought it because it's a good price and fits my budget under $1000.

This is actually my 1st time buying a TV for my own.

Can anyone please tell me if I should update the firmware right away before I play with this TV and what would be the best method to do it?

thanks!
post #288 of 392 Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM

I just purchased this TV today as well. I love the picture and 3D looks great. The only issue I am having is that the media player does not play any .avi files via USB or through the media server. It really sucks that the only support is for Mpeg 2 files. Is there any workaround or solution for this??
post #289 of 392 Old 12-27-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiiashii View Post

Hi guys,
I just bought the 55L6200 today in Best buy for $977+tax CAD in BestBuy(Boxing Day) smile.gif
I bought it because it's a good price and fits my budget under $1000.
This is actually my 1st time buying a TV for my own.
Can anyone please tell me if I should update the firmware right away before I play with this TV and what would be the best method to do it?
thanks!
Yes update it, and either way works fine doing it thumb drive is like doing it twice tho smile.gif alot more moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkjerry82 View Post

I just purchased this TV today as well. I love the picture and 3D looks great. The only issue I am having is that the media player does not play any .avi files via USB or through the media server. It really sucks that the only support is for Mpeg 2 files. Is there any workaround or solution for this??
Yes get into service mode probably a setting in there, And If you get into it post how you did cause I have googled my fingers off had no luck yet
post #290 of 392 Old 12-27-2012, 04:48 AM

Hi guys. I purchased this tv online during boxing day and it will arrive from BestBuy on Jan 5th. I read many reviews about it, mostly good. The price was great for a LED TV, with 3d and Smart functions. I do realize this TV is not as smart as it claims, but I will probably just use netflix and youtube on it. I download lots of videos in various formats.

Another reason I bought this TV set is that it claimed it plays avi, mkv, mp4, which are the formats I usually use. I would use a USB stick to play the videos on the TV. Has anyone gotten it to work on the TV?

Also, I do not have a BluRay player. If I download a 3d movie and play it on the TV via the USB stick (if it indeed works) or via HDMI hooked to my computer, will it work the same as it would in a BluRay player?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #291 of 392 Old 12-27-2012, 11:50 AM

SOMEBODY HELP ME! Just bought the 55L6200 today and cannot get it to detect my wifi. I've done the update from Toshiba via the network (hard wired) and still nothing. I have no idea what to do! I've never had any problems with any devices connecting to my router until today. My router is a Netgear WNR2000
post #292 of 392 Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM

Sorry to crush the mood, but it will not play AVIs, youll need to convert or using a trancoding media server. I have only gotten wild media server to work, but I have been so busy at work that I have not tried universal media server yet.
post #293 of 392 Old 12-27-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakedecoste View Post

SOMEBODY HELP ME! Just bought the 55L6200 today and cannot get it to detect my wifi. I've done the update from Toshiba via the network (hard wired) and still nothing. I have no idea what to do! I've never had any problems with any devices connecting to my router until today. My router is a Netgear WNR2000

I don't have any direct experience, but I think someone earlier in the thread said you have to make sure your SSID name is being broadcast by your router (?)
post #294 of 392 Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Thinking of buying this TV at Costco... Saw on the Toshiba Forums and Amazon.com that the Smart TV features are buggy, is it really that bad?

Is DLNA usable? I heard DLNA is pretty broken on this TV?

Thanks.
post #295 of 392 Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 AM

A little bit of testing and initial observations...

- manufacture date of Nov 2012 but still has the June 0.7.2 firmware on it
- there's a film on the panel itself, probably polarized for 3D, you might wonder about peeling it but Toshiba says not to
- very slight light bleed at edges if you are looking for it during boot up
- finish looks very nice, the reflectivity of the screen does not appear to be an issue when the TV is on
- menus and options look very rich, reasonably nice interface, a lot of choices which are typically in the service menu
- super annoying disclaimers constantly pop up whenever 3D mode is engaged, you must scroll and agree to clear them, one can be removed the other is constant! Perhaps there's some way with the 3D PIN code or timer but so far seems they are mandatory which is very annoying
- HDMI info screen is nice as it lists the full specs of the connection
- 3D mode stopped displaying picture after 1 day. Tried every conceiveable fix, cables, power cycling, powered off and wait, different discs, HDMI settings, RGB vs YUV, 24 Hz versus 60 Hz, etc. I was using familiar discs and could still navigate and hear audio, just only a black picture. OSD would appear over the blank picture so you could tell the panel was up and working. Eventual fix was a full TV restore to factory settings.
- one boot the picture was all in tones of green and purple, seemed to be based on the HDMI connection as OSD was proper color. Power cycle would not help, eventually reconnect and recycle HDMI reconnections did fix it.
- sound is very quiet, needs to be over 50% to be heard
- still haven't found how to turn on/off the 120 Hz Cinema mode (ClearScan?) Seems to be greyed out constantly
- still a bit perplexed on calibrating the picture as I think local dimming/Dynalight interferes with test patterns
- 2D picture is decent, will need some setting to resolve black crush, haven't noticed motion artifacts yet
- it has a lot of thoughtful elements such as how game mode disabling lany lag-creating process features and zooms to deal with overscan, aspect ratio mode that considers captions, etc
- sleep timer is weird, goes in 10 minute steps up to 12 hours, takes forever to get there.
- wake timer also weird, you can only set a delay of how many hours until it turns on, not a daily recurring turn-on time
- upon waking it will turn off in 1 hour if you don't use the remote, after 4 hours if you do
- the unusual sleep/wake options would be a problem using the TV in a business
- something might be up with fast motion in 3D, can't quite describe it yet
post #296 of 392 Old 12-28-2012, 03:51 PM

To all of you who have this TV, would you do it again? Is the PQ really great or would you get another brand and if so which one. Also, is the screen matte or glass covering. thanks
post #297 of 392 Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buonforte View Post

To all of you who have this TV, would you do it again? Is the PQ really great or would you get another brand and if so which one. Also, is the screen matte or glass covering. thanks

You should read some of this page or even previous pages where there are already answers provide . So far I like it and hope I can work out the smaller issues. To replace it, anything in a comparable size and price would only be 2D.
post #298 of 392 Old 12-28-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshe View Post

Thinking of buying this TV at Costco... Saw on the Toshiba Forums and Amazon.com that the Smart TV features are buggy, is it really that bad?
Is DLNA usable? I heard DLNA is pretty broken on this TV?
Thanks.
Just read the last two pages mate! http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions/47L6200U-DLNA-Issues/td-p/348570/highlight/false/page/2
post #299 of 392 Old 12-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMattMatt View Post

Just read the last two pages mate! http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Televisions/47L6200U-DLNA-Issues/td-p/348570/highlight/false/page/2

I saw that, I was hoping it was an "isolated" incident... guess not?

Is it legal to sell such a broken product? smile.gif

I cancelled my order for the L6200U, ordered a LG 47LM6400 instead. All smart TV functions seem to work great, price was only 50.00 more (898 vs 849 CAD) at Costco.
post #300 of 392 Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 PM

I purchased a new 55L6200 from Amazon last weekend for $918. Upgraded from a Samsung 42" DLP. It was delivered today. Connected it to web via wired connection. Updated firmware. Made some quick picture adjustments and watched Journey 2: The Mysterious Island in 3D off HBO On Demand via FiOS. Looked great. All video/audio switched and scaled through a Denon AVR-2311CI.

I went through each picture mode but was unable to activate Cinema Mode - it's always grayed out. Any input on this? I read something about taking TV out of Native mode to make it work. I'll try that later.

All in all, digging it so far.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused."
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Toshiba 55 Led 3d Hdtv Cinema Series Smart Tv 55l7200u , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba 47 Inch 47l6200u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page