The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Toshiba L6200U/L7200U Passive-3D Owner's Thread... - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 392 Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux69 View Post

Hi All,
I have a Toshiba 55 L7200U (April 2012 build) that I bought from Visions in May. I have noticed that after the TV has been on for about 10 minutes, I can hear a faint high pitch buzz coming from the TV. I have done a bunch of tests like unplugging all of my devices (video/sound) as well as trying different power bars and electrical outlets and the TV still makes this sound. The noise is present even when there is no video source but the TV is on and has "warmed" up (black screen). The noise is not related to audio and also does not increase/decrease in sound level when I change video settings like back-light or brightness.
My question is to other owners of this TV, have you guys heard anything like what I am describing? I want to get a bit more info before I call Toshiba Tech support.
Thanks!
I do not hear anything from mine try hitting mute, If its still there i would say it's probably a leaking/bad CAP

@Cj1319 I would have to say they are all LG panels...Dunno how Jchop doesn't have a camera, Don't we all have one with are cell phones?This TV is very new release so i do not really know why they would change the panels or infact switch them either just doesn't make any sense..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 392 Old 07-17-2012, 10:18 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry guys I ended up returning my L7200U entirely... the backlight bleed was very distracting in the games I was playing. Also, If I turned on the dynamic lighting it would increase and decrease the backlighting so dramically it was like a stobe light in some in game menus etc.
I really wanted to keep this TV, but the quality control is suspect. I actually returned my second one, had them take a third out of the box in store to find out it had dead pixels all over it. I've been a big fan of Toshiba products in the past, but they have really let me down. I honestly think they should give up on edge lit tech until they can work out all of the issues. Most people do not need their TVs to be an inch thick... I'd take a 4 in thick TV if it mean't the screen would be uniform.

Note: I have exchanged my 55L7200U for a Panasonic P55ST50 Plasma and couldn't be happier. The Active 3D kinda sux, but it's 2D performace is better almost everyway... It's not as bright though, so it won't work in every lighting environment.

Hope you all have better luck with your Toshiba's then I did.
post #183 of 392 Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM

Too bad Harvey it didn't work out for you! I still love my 55L6200 for its PQ. I sit at the normal 10 feet away and I don't see the problems you saw. Good for me. Like I said before , I wish Toshiba would do FLASH support.rolleyes.gif
How can you call it SMART TV and not even have this eek.gif
post #184 of 392 Old 07-17-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyTAS View Post

... I'd take a 4 in thick TV if it mean't the screen would be uniform ... Hope you all have better luck with your Toshiba's then I did.
There is back light bleed on my 47L6200U, mostly on the upper right corner, and it can be distracting on dark scenes. Turning down the back-light makes it tolerable unless I am watching the TV in a dark room.

I also disabled DynaLight because I found it distracting. It actually changes the brightness of the whole scene by turning down the back-light without adjusting the LCD pixels to compensate for the back-light change.

Overall the TV is acceptable given its very good PQ, except for the light-bleed. I originally planned to buy the 42 inch also for another room, but now I'll look for other options.
post #185 of 392 Old 07-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been traveling with business so been away. I'm also now on vacation with family. My panel is not an LG but AUO panel and it's superb to say the least. I just haven't been around or gotten a chance to as of late. As soon as I get back I will snap some pictures of my panel and try to do the lag test.
post #186 of 392 Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_tc_lau View Post

There is back light bleed on my 47L6200U, mostly on the upper right corner, and it can be distracting on dark scenes. Turning down the back-light makes it tolerable unless I am watching the TV in a dark room.
I also disabled DynaLight because I found it distracting. It actually changes the brightness of the whole scene by turning down the back-light without adjusting the LCD pixels to compensate for the back-light change.
Overall the TV is acceptable given its very good PQ, except for the light-bleed. I originally planned to buy the 42 inch also for another room, but now I'll look for other options.

I just got a 55l7200 after returning an LG 55LW6500. The LG set (last years model) had moderate dirty screen effect and some light and dark blotches. With a solid grey PC screen to test the display, it looked awful.
Watching animated movies, I could see vertical streaking on scenes like a blue sky for example. I did the same grey screen test with the Toshiba and it's much cleaner with no streaking, blotches or dark spots.

Something does not seem right with the 3D though.

Static images look ok, but fast movement in movies causes some kind of weird crosstalk-like effect. I never noticed anything like this on the LG so it must be in the toshiba video processing. Hopefully a setting (smoothing?) or firmware update
will correct this. As for light bleed, well I think just about any edge lit set is going to have some which is why they have the local dimming. The toshiba implementation is a bit different than the LG and causes a bit too much
brightness change in certain situations. Yet overall I think I'm happy with the set. With the local dimming off, yes I have some light bleed, but it's not horrible and shouldn't be distracting.

Rob
post #187 of 392 Old 07-22-2012, 07:34 AM

I tested the PS3 Motorstorm Pacific Rift 3D demo and it has noticeable crosstalk. The crosstalk is also hard on the eyes because it feels like your eyes are not focusing correctly. Like I said in my previous message, there's something not right with the 3D on this set, maybe it depends on the panel you get, but mine is certainly not comfortable on the eyes - not like my LG6500 was. The 2d picture is pretty good, better than my previous 6500 LG set.

Returning to store... Shoulda stuck with LG I think.

Rob
post #188 of 392 Old 07-22-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Sorry guys I ended up returning my L7200U entirely... the backlight bleed was very distracting in the games I was playing. Also, If I turned on the dynamic lighting it would increase and decrease the backlighting so dramically it was like a stobe light in some in game menus etc.
I really wanted to keep this TV, but the quality control is suspect. I actually returned my second one, had them take a third out of the box in store to find out it had dead pixels all over it. I've been a big fan of Toshiba products in the past, but they have really let me down. I honestly think they should give up on edge lit tech until they can work out all of the issues. Most people do not need their TVs to be an inch thick... I'd take a 4 in thick TV if it mean't the screen would be uniform.
Note: I have exchanged my 55L7200U for a Panasonic P55ST50 Plasma and couldn't be happier. The Active 3D kinda sux, but it's 2D performace is better almost everyway... It's not as bright though, so it won't work in every lighting environment.
Hope you all have better luck with your Toshiba's then I did.

Harvey, I wouldn't mind a little bit of bleed as it doesn't bother me, but the 3D crosstalk you mention bothers me a lot. Coming from an LG 55lw6500 passive set my first reaction when testing the 3D was 'what the heck, that doesn't look right'. In animated movies it's a subtle, yet distracting effect. In theory with a passive set you there should be little to no crosstalk. Since you said you game, I am surprised you went with a plasma set. I had a Sony 3d active set last year which had awful 3d crosstalk and poor viewing angles where you couldn't move (tilt) your head or the picture suffered. The sony had wonderful 2d though.... Man. tv's are such a crapshoot especially with 3d.... If my LG didn't have such awful dirty screen effect I would have liked to keep it.

Rob
post #189 of 392 Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jux69 View Post

Hi All,
I have a Toshiba 55 L7200U (April 2012 build) that I bought from Visions in May. I have noticed that after the TV has been on for about 10 minutes, I can hear a faint high pitch buzz coming from the TV. I have done a bunch of tests like unplugging all of my devices (video/sound) as well as trying different power bars and electrical outlets and the TV still makes this sound. The noise is present even when there is no video source but the TV is on and has "warmed" up (black screen). The noise is not related to audio and also does not increase/decrease in sound level when I change video settings like back-light or brightness.
My question is to other owners of this TV, have you guys heard anything like what I am describing? I want to get a bit more info before I call Toshiba Tech support.
Thanks!

I know exactly what you mean because my set makes this noise too. It sounds exactly like a bad capacitor and it's VERY annoying. Think of a kettle whistle going off type sound.

Rob
post #190 of 392 Old 07-22-2012, 01:20 PM

I bought the L6200 model and while blacks were very good for the most part, there were things that didn´t like and didn´t expect, like if you turn the on,and it takes like 15 second or more to get an image, and also changing channels were a very slowly process, and getting to the menus had the same problem, also the sound was kind of annoying, there were some sort of high pitch in the voices that mi wife could'n stand lol! and I couldn't get neflix to run because toshiba doesnt have a contract in my country(mexico) to run the application, i didn´t have problem with the 3d, everything looked great to my eyes, so i ended up returning it and got a LG LM6200 that has runs netflix and vudu and works great with youtube 3D(didn't like the "wiimote"that much and blacks are not very good).
post #191 of 392 Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_G View Post

Harvey, I wouldn't mind a little bit of bleed as it doesn't bother me, but the 3D crosstalk you mention bothers me a lot. Coming from an LG 55lw6500 passive set my first reaction when testing the 3D was 'what the heck, that doesn't look right'. In animated movies it's a subtle, yet distracting effect. In theory with a passive set you there should be little to no crosstalk. Since you said you game, I am surprised you went with a plasma set. I had a Sony 3d active set last year which had awful 3d crosstalk and poor viewing angles where you couldn't move (tilt) your head or the picture suffered. The sony had wonderful 2d though.... Man. tv's are such a crapshoot especially with 3d.... If my LG didn't have such awful dirty screen effect I would have liked to keep it.
Rob

Referring to L7220U:
I totally know the 3d ghost affect you are talking about... some content like Wipeout 3d and Super Stardust looked awesome, while some other movies and content would almost flicker or ghost in the most un-natural way. (Especially 2d to 3d conversion) It's not crosstalk... there aren't halos or anything... it was just the fast moving things in frame would almost drop out of 3d and then revert back when the object / scene slowed down. Must have been a video processing thing. I don't have mine anymore to test further. The other thing that kind of bothered me was that from my "gaming chair" 7' away I could still see the individual pixels on the screen... mostly when there was solid blocks of color, but it was still slightly distracting. That said: I could live with everything, but the uniformity.

As for my Plasma buying decision... I never really wanted plasma, didn't want to deal with burn in... didn't like active 3d. However, the 2d performance was more critical and that's where the Panny plasma shines. The Toshiba had great blacks if the Dynalight was on, but the strobe effect was hard on my eyes... the Panny Plasma can achieve amazing blacks and keep a very uniform and consistently bright image. I didn't care that much about smart TV, but the Panny blows away the Toshiba in that category as well. The DLNA works great and way faster then the Toshiba, plus the format support appears to be better. I liked the Toshiba phyiscal design way better though... I think the ST50's acrylic bezel thing is kinda ugly, my wife thinks it's fine... so go figure.
post #192 of 392 Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Did you look at the Sony HX850 before going with a plasma?

--
(this space for rent)
post #193 of 392 Old 07-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Referring to L7220U:
I totally know the 3d ghost affect you are talking about... some content like Wipeout 3d and Super Stardust looked awesome, while some other movies and content would almost flicker or ghost in the most un-natural way. (Especially 2d to 3d conversion) It's not crosstalk... there aren't halos or anything... it was just the fast moving things in frame would almost drop out of 3d and then revert back when the object / scene slowed down. Must have been a video processing thing. I don't have mine anymore to test further. The other thing that kind of bothered me was that from my "gaming chair" 7' away I could still see the individual pixels on the screen... mostly when there was solid blocks of color, but it was still slightly distracting. That said: I could live with everything, but the uniformity.
As for my Plasma buying decision... I never really wanted plasma, didn't want to deal with burn in... didn't like active 3d. However, the 2d performance was more critical and that's where the Panny plasma shines. The Toshiba had great blacks if the Dynalight was on, but the strobe effect was hard on my eyes... the Panny Plasma can achieve amazing blacks and keep a very uniform and consistently bright image. I didn't care that much about smart TV, but the Panny blows away the Toshiba in that category as well. The DLNA works great and way faster then the Toshiba, plus the format support appears to be better. I liked the Toshiba phyiscal design way better though... I think the ST50's acrylic bezel thing is kinda ugly, my wife thinks it's fine... so go figure.

I found that the passive 3d on the toshiba was giving me eye strain in a very short time because of the ghosting effect you mention. I saw it right away before I read any review or your posts - so it's not something I was 'looking for'. The local dimming is kinda goofy in a way, but doesn't cause anywhere near as much blooming as my LG 6500 set had. Really the 3d is my main complaint about this set and I think it's probably harder on the eyes than active.

Rob
post #194 of 392 Old 07-26-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Friend just asked me about the Toshiba 47L6200U 47-Inches 1080P/120Hz 3DP Smart
It fits his price point, so is it worth to pick it up for you who own it?

Thanks in advance
post #195 of 392 Old 07-26-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

Friend just asked me about the Toshiba 47L6200U 47-Inches 1080P/120Hz 3DP Smart
It fits his price point, so is it worth to pick it up for you who own it?
Thanks in advance
Yes, Inless he cares about having a ton of apps
post #196 of 392 Old 07-26-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperC View Post

Yes, Inless he cares about having a ton of apps

I agree. %99 of the stuff available for the LG sets is garbage. Smart TV has a LONG way to go...

Rob
post #197 of 392 Old 07-30-2012, 09:39 AM

I returned the 55 7200u and got a 55Lm6700. I was hesitant that the 6700 was going to be a step below what I wanted in a set (being 120hz as opposed to 240hz), but so far I'm actually liking the 6700 a lot. I really wanted the 8600, but couldn't justify the extra $650. I tested the 3D on the 6700 and find it to be smoother without most of the ghosting and crosstalk issues the Toshiba had. The toshiba still had better response (less lag), but that wasn't enough to justify keeping it.

Rob
post #198 of 392 Old 07-30-2012, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Cnet has had some particularly nice things to say about the Vizio M3D550KD at $1000 less than a Sony HX850 and it's still passive 3D.

--
(this space for rent)
post #199 of 392 Old 08-03-2012, 07:48 AM

FRY's (B&M only) has the 55L6200U for $899 starting today. May go fast biggrin.gif
post #200 of 392 Old 08-04-2012, 02:06 PM

Anyone have trouble connecting wifi on the 55L6200U to the internet? My set worked at first and I changed my router and it no longer works after I connected it to the new router via wifi. I tried a hard reset of the tv, cable modem, and router but I got no connection again. Any advice?
post #201 of 392 Old 08-04-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onurx View Post

Anyone have trouble connecting wifi on the 55L6200U to the internet? My set worked at first and I changed my router and it no longer works after I connected it to the new router via wifi. I tried a hard reset of the tv, cable modem, and router but I got no connection again. Any advice?
Have you updated the firmware on the TV before? Pretty sure there was an update for cicso router if that helps...
post #202 of 392 Old 08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Finally! A review - http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-55l7200u/4505-6482_7-35118537.html

"The bottom line: Toshiba's L7200U LED TV comes loaded with features, but mediocre picture quality makes its high price tough to stomach."

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #203 of 392 Old 08-06-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E55 KEV View Post

Finally! A review - http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/toshiba-55l7200u/4505-6482_7-35118537.html
"The bottom line: Toshiba's L7200U LED TV comes loaded with features, but mediocre picture quality makes its high price tough to stomach."

Thanks. Important to note is this:

The L7200U series shares a few characteristics with its predecessor the TL515U, and most are not good. Its black levels were somewhat deep at times, but lack of shadow detail and contrast, caused by overactive and imprecise dimming, was a major flaw. That, combined with less accurate color and a less uniform screen, actually made the L7200U perform worse than the L5200U we reviewed earlier.

That is why L6200U has better PQ since it doesn't have local dimming unlike L7200U. L6200U is also priced considerably lower! biggrin.gif
From reading other LED threads it is better to go without Local dimming for Edge Lit LED TVs as most Local dimmings don't do much justice.

I still love the Picture Quality on my 55L6200U. I attached now DVDO EDGE (Video processor) and just upconvert to 1080P and adjust a few settings and the PQ is even more amazing.

Also to note is probably my issue is also solving at the next firmware update (Flash Support).

Toshiba tells me an upcoming firmware update will allow Flash sites to work on the browser.
post #204 of 392 Old 08-06-2012, 12:50 PM

I'm waiting to receive the 47L7200u after having a disappointing experience with the 47TL515U. Toshiba decided to replace it with this model as parts required to make a fix were back-ordered.

In any event, it's a little disappointing to hear CNET comments with respect to this model sharing some of the bad aspects of the TL515U. The aggressive local dimming drove me crazy, and there was definitely a significant drop off in black level with DynaLight set to "off."

Does anyone have any calibration settings with DynaLight "off" that achieve acceptable black levels?
post #205 of 392 Old 08-09-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchop View Post

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I've been traveling with business so been away. I'm also now on vacation with family. My panel is not an LG but AUO panel and it's superb to say the least. I just haven't been around or gotten a chance to as of late. As soon as I get back I will snap some pictures of my panel and try to do the lag test.

Hi Jchop, are you back from your vacation perhaps? Cant wait for the input lag test results wink.gif
post #206 of 392 Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixolydian12 View Post

I'm waiting to receive the 47L7200u after having a disappointing experience with the 47TL515U. Toshiba decided to replace it with this model as parts required to make a fix were back-ordered.
In any event, it's a little disappointing to hear CNET comments with respect to this model sharing some of the bad aspects of the TL515U. The aggressive local dimming drove me crazy, and there was definitely a significant drop off in black level with DynaLight set to "off."
Does anyone have any calibration settings with DynaLight "off" that achieve acceptable black levels?
Not really but you could try static gamma --5 that should help
post #207 of 392 Old 08-10-2012, 01:39 PM

47" is on sale for $699 at Frys (both in store and online). Amazon will PM to Frys for those who are interested.
post #208 of 392 Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Hey everyone joined to hopefully get some info on the 6200 series spec the 55L6200u(what i got)
i just need one question answered tho im able to play .mp4 3d sbs files from my xbox - tv and use the 3D feature on the tv set to umm "mesh" the images to get the 3D effect but when i try to play it from a flash drive straight from the TV the 3D button dont work and also when i press menu i get "not available" :\( only getting this "problem" if it is one and not just me missing some setting). is there something im missing when playing mp4 sbs files from flash drive direct from the tv usb port?
then i tired auto 3D, on and off before going to play the video file. video just plays split screen(sbs with out meshing them) frown.gif

also umm im planing on getting the Micca EP600 G2 Full HD 1080p 3D Digital Network Media Player from amazon if anyone got it is it a good buy or not ?

thanks smile.gif
post #209 of 392 Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 AM

I received my 47L7200u from Toshiba and I'm impressed by it. The DynaLight is less obvious to me than it was in the 47TL515U. However, I noticed that I can see the actual LED lights through the glass bezel when sitting directly in front of the screen (not the bleeding onto the screen that is pretty much unavoidable with edge-lit screens). Is this normal? It seems like a pretty bad oversight for such a nice TV.
post #210 of 392 Old 08-17-2012, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

There's a review up on www.televisioninfo.com of the 7200 model but the 6200 should be the same, it scored excellent results!smile.gif

Anyone find it odd that the reviewer's 'calibrated' settings have the backlight cranked to the limit of 100, same for contrast?
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Toshiba-47L7200U-LCD-HDTV-Review/Calibration.htm
Makes me question the whole review.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Toshiba 55 Led 3d Hdtv Cinema Series Smart Tv 55l7200u , Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Toshiba 47 Inch 47l6200u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page