Sony KDLXXEX640 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi, I just ordered the 40" version of this TV, arriving tomorrow. If anybody already owns one, please post your thoughts about the set, likes, dislikes, etc.
I saw it at BBuyy and it had really good PQ. Can't wait for mine!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

I received my EX640 today. Picture quality is superb, absolutely no complaints. popped in a Blue Ray and it played beautifully. Sounds is also pretty good, in my room I put it up to 14 tops. Netflix app froze the entire tv. It wouldn't even respond to buttons on TV or remote. Just froze. Unplugged it to take care of this. Clouding everywhere and flashlights on all 4 corners. SMH. Is there a possibility that the flashlighting and clouding diminish at least to a not so visible level over time?
post #3 of 5 Old 03-28-2012, 11:12 PM

Liked: 10
I picked up the 46" model a few days ago. I'm still not sure whether to keep it or exchange it for a Samsung UN46ES6100.

There are a few things I don't like about it. I takes a while to turn on, is this normal for Sony TVs? Also another thing that bothers me is that every time I switch it on it displays "wireless usb adapter detected" minor annoyance but still. I wish it had WiFi built in.

I also noticed clouding, It almost looks like two horizontal lines running across the screen. I will try posting some pictures, I'm not sure if this is normal.

What are your picture settings?
post #4 of 5 Old 03-28-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

I put it on cinema scene. I basically turned off all the extra stuff like noise reduction, sharpness to 0, backlight at 4. Motion flow off. Oh and the brightness I lowered it to 47. The Wireless USB detective is a bit annoying but liveable. But the clouding and flashlights on mine are horrible.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-25-2012, 04:48 PM

Liked: 10
I owned a Sony KDS-60A2020 SXRD. Great TV! However it has succumbed to the optical block issue that has plagued these sets. I called Sony CS and was given 3 choices. I could have the optical block repaired and it would cost upward of $1000 and according to them most likely would go bad again. Or accept a newer model at a reduced cost offered the choice between a 55BX520 for $575 plus tax or a 60EX720 for $1450. I opted for the BX520.

Well upon arrival the new unit had particularly bas screen uniformity issues. I know that this is inherent of the technology but when I say that 1/3 of the screen on both sides was gray its no exaggeration. So i called them right away. They wanted to send somebody to check it out but instead asked that I send them pictures. I did and they got back to me in a few days stating "We have reviewed this case and what you are seeing is normal" WHAT!?! So obviously I wasn't accepting that answer. Especially when I had casual observers walk into my apartment and say "whats wrong with your tv". I asked for a refund of my money and for them to take the tv back and they refused!

So I had it escalated and after some back and forth they offered to replace my 55BX520 with a 55EX640 at no cost. I specifically asked if this unit has any issues because I didn't want to go through this again and the rep assured me that it would not.

So they came picked up the old tv and delivered the new one. The EX640 had a nice picture but suffered from even worse screen uniformity. The worst I have ever seen actually. It was so bad that it would show on even bright scenes. So called Sony CS back. They said they would send a repair man. I played along even though i knew this issue couldn't be fixed. Then they called back and said that they we rents sending someone just to send pictures. So I did and they called me back and again said what i'm seeing is normal!! Well certainly wasn't having that so escalated the call. The next level of support apologized and said they would send tech out.

Tech comes (and by the way could only come during the day on a weekday, so i had to take day off of work). Tech shows up and says its the "worst that he's ever seen". A quick look around the web corroborated the issues I was having as other users and reviewer had the same issue. So as the tech stated to me a replacement of the unit was most likely going to have the same issue. So a few days later I called Sony cause I still had not heard back. They confirmed with the tech and was going to get back to me with options. I was clear I did not want another 640 based off my experience and others around the net. I told them I would be willing to pay a bit more to get something that was back lit or dynamically lit. They get back to me and offered me a 55HX850 for, get this, $1100 more or a refund. Now the 640 is selling on Sony Store for 1700, the 850 is selling for 2500. Thats a difference of $800. Yet they wanted another $1100 from me. So I declined and took the refund because I can buy a Panny 60ST50 right now for 1600. A bigger tv, higher rated tv with a better picture.

Well you would think that would be it right? So they are coming to pick up the 640 tomorrow and will give me my money back, by check (though i paid with CC)in "4-6 Weeks!!" When I asked for an email confirmation or receipt after pick up they refused. They would not even provide an email confirmation of my refund. The rep actually said they have no access to email! Yet while on the phone with them I actually received an email from their department (as I have many times before). SMH

So this entire process has taken up 2 months of my time. About 3 days off of work to accept deliveries, techs and countless hours on the phone. For in the end me to be right back to my broken tv and nothing to show for it.

The point of this story is I have been a Sony Brand loyalist for over 20 years. I will never ever purchase a Sony TV ever again. The quality is just not there any more. I will happily now take my money and go buy that Panny. That is, when I finally get my money back from Sony.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page