I cannot in good faith recommend Samsung . . . - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
When I got home from a long day at work yesterday, I turned on my Samsung 6420 TV, only to see this:

Keep in mind, this is my 4th panel in 3 months.

The 1st one had very bad vertical banding issues (v H302 made in July 2011): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21433684

The 2nd one (v H302 made in December 2011) shorted out 2 weeks after replacement: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21520764

The 3rd one (also v H302 made in December 2011) had 2 horizontal bands that were visable in most situations: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post21590997

And now, a white line has developed across the top area of the picture.

For me this proves one thing: Samsung has lousy quality control, and no one should consider purchasing their TVs. YMMV.

So, I'm off today to pick up a LG LM6700. Just released. Frankly, my expectations are not great, but I must admit that BB has been exceptional during this whole unfortunate experience.

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You know now that a you mention samsungs quality control. I have 3 Samsung TVs, a Walmart budget TV, un46c8000 and un55d8000. My budget Samsung has sound issues where it crackles and pops, my d8000 I had to get the main motherboard replaced because it wouldn't save my network settings. My c8000 I haven't had any issues with it. I will say my TVs don't have flashlight or clouding or any picture issues. I have 3 Samsung TVs and two have some sort of problem, I imagine the quality control problems stem from the fact they produce millions of TVs. Problems are bound to pop up in manufacturing.
post #3 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Sadly, you are another in a long line of people that backs up the theme of Samsung having lousy QC. The Samsung apologists will tell you that "everyone else is just as bad", yet there are more stories around Samsung that are more terrible, more patterns, etc.

I wouldn't buy one either, no matter how appealing their designs or features.

And, again, YMMV.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #4 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Sadly, you are another in a long line of people that backs up the theme of Samsung having lousy QC. The Samsung apologists will tell you that "everyone else is just as bad", yet there are more stories around Samsung that are more terrible, more patterns, etc.

I wouldn't buy one either, no matter how appealing their designs or features.

And, again, YMMV.

I have NEVER owned a Samsung product that held up to the test of time.
post #5 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have a Samsung TV in the gameroom that I hardly ever use, but I bought it before swearing off of them due to a bad experience with one of their Blu-ray players. It was expensive...wouldn't retain Netflix settings and failed to play roughly half the discs I put into it. Never again...
post #6 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
From my experience working in electronics retail, they really do have bad QC. Put an open-box D8K out on the floor last week and the screen was broken up in to two horizontal sections, and on the top the color looked inverted and had very weird smearing/image persistence issues during any scene with fast motion. And don't get me started on their Blu-Ray players...

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #7 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I have NEVER owned a Samsung product that held up to the test of time.

the same could be said of other mfrs., i've had 2 sony's die in less than adequate shelf life, one of which was a XBR that I really loved....
post #8 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 03:47 PM

I think this is a problem across the industry also.

I have had a Samsung TV and monitor for nearly 3 years, and have had no problems so far (knocks on wood). On the contrary, I have been extremely pleased with these products.
post #9 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

the same could be said of other mfrs., i've had 2 sony's die in less than adequate shelf life, one of which was a XBR that I really loved....

The same can be said of other mfrs., but there sure appears to be a quantitative difference. And Consumer Reports data -- which comes from end users, not CR, and is roughly scientific in how it's gathered -- confirms that Samsungs are on balance much less reliable than Panasonics (best), Sonys and Sharps (almost as good as Panasonic) and LG (nearly as bad as Samsung, but not as bad).

I know everyone likes to get stuck on their own, one anecdote, but Samsung are built worse. People's intuition is correct here and the data back it up.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #10 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

From my experience working in electronics retail, they really do have bad QC. Put an open-box D8K out on the floor last week and the screen was broken up in to two horizontal sections, and on the top the color looked inverted and had very weird smearing/image persistence issues during any scene with fast motion. And don't get me started on their Blu-Ray players...

Pity those who purchase from your retail business.
post #11 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsyras View Post

I think this is a problem across the industry also.

I have had a Samsung TV and monitor for nearly 3 years, and have had no problems so far (knocks on wood). On the contrary, I have been extremely pleased with these products.

The same can be said for my 5 year old Samsung 26" bedroom LCD. Is it a matter of "they (Samsung) just dont build them like they used to?
post #12 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
No need to get snippy, now. I sent the D8K out to service
i'm just saying, I've seen more imperfections, anomalies, dead/stuck pixels, service returns, junk outs etc. on Samsung sets than any other brand on the floor. Their BD players are notorious for being buggy as well. Although they release/manufacture a higher volume of product than most other mfgs, it seems their reliability is generally not as good across the board.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #13 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 05:03 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a question that pops up in Samsung threads regularly, then dies a quiet death, and I'm wondering if it's a Samsung only problem or runs across all brands:

When Samsung components, such as blu rays, blu ray based Home Theater systems, and TVs are connected via HDMI, the last used input on, say the HT system, or the input on the TV is not remembered but changed back to a stupid default (e.g. D.in or TV), when the equipment is turned off. The owner has to re-select the proper HDMI inputs when turning equipment back on.

The solution is always to turn off Anynet, which does work. However, now that ARC demands Anynet be left on, those folks seem to be out of luck.

So, is this a Samsung only HDMI-CEC implementation problem or does it exist on other brands, too?
post #14 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

The same can be said of other mfrs., but there sure appears to be a quantitative difference. And Consumer Reports data -- which comes from end users, not CR, and is roughly scientific in how it's gathered -- confirms that Samsungs are on balance much less reliable than Panasonics (best), Sonys and Sharps (almost as good as Panasonic) and LG (nearly as bad as Samsung, but not as bad).

I know everyone likes to get stuck on their own, one anecdote, but Samsung are built worse. People's intuition is correct here and the data back it up.

To be precise, CR states that 2% of Panasonic owners reported having repairs or serious problems, compared to 3% of Sony and Sharp owners, 4% of LG owners, and 5% of Samsung owners. That hardly "confirms that Samsungs are on balance much less reliable than Panasonics," Sonys, Sharps, or LGs. In fact, those differences have little--if any--statistical significance, as CR explicitly states: "Differences of less than 4 points aren't meaningful."
post #15 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Samsung HDTV's look pretty on the outside but are junk on the inside.
post #16 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

I also have many problems with Samsung in the past. I received more dead/stuck pixels from a Samsung LCD panel than any manufacturer I went through. Horizontal/vertical lines are also very common problem. I also see more broken Samsung LCD TVs in restaurants and club bar than any other brands. I have a TV technician say that Samsung LCD panels are by the most unreliable.
post #17 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 06:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

I also have many problems with Samsung in the past. I received more dead/stuck pixels from a Samsung LCD panel than any manufacturer I went through. Horizontal/vertical lines are also very common problem. I also see more broken Samsung LCD TVs in restaurants and club bar than any other brands. I have a TV technician say that Samsung LCD panels are by the most unreliable.

They also build more than any other manufacturer, your take is pretty wack I must say.................
post #18 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Samsung may look good, but most people don't realize they are never known for high reliability. Panasonic, Sharp, Toshiba, and most Japanese makes have always beat Samsung to the ground for reliability during the past 40 years average, no argument is to be made.
post #19 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyguitar1963 View Post

They also build more than any other manufacturer, your take is pretty wack I must say.................

Quantity over quality is not the best route to go and thats the way the all mighty Samsung seems to like doin buisness. It will only hurt them in the long run.
post #20 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
It's been a few years and I was shopping for a highend display. Decided to try Samsung with hesitation as the same things were being said then.

BB brought the display and unboxed it. We plugged it in and nothing. Total DOA with no visible signs of damage. It went back and I have never considered another Samsung. My perception may be skewed but lower quality comes to mind and is there to stay unfortunately.

Rick

post #21 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 07:33 PM

I have 2 Samsung TV's. LN-T2353H, which is a good one in my bedroom. I bought another one last month since I had no trouble with the 23", it is UN-19D4003, the worst TV I ever had. It has a green halo effect around people's heads and other objects.

I had it one day, sent it back to Samsung for repairs, got it back looked the same, so sent it back to them again. They said NO DEFECT FOUND. In one month it was either on a UPS truck (8 days total) 2 weeks total in repair shop ( 1 Week each time)

Never will I buy another Samsung TV because of the experience I had with this one. I have 2 Panasonics ( 1-32" & 1-42") that have excellent pictures never had any trouble. Panasonic didn't have any small screens at that time. Since then Panasonic came out with TC-L24X5, on pre-order now. I ordered one.

All I heard was how great Samsung was, thought it was just me. Glad to see it is not just me.
post #22 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 08:28 PM

I'm waiting for my Samsung 8000 LED to arrive... you guys have me worried.
post #23 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'll never buy anything Samsung related been there done that, lessen learned.
I tend to stay away from company's that reverse engineer their products to avoid licensing fees. The thing that gets me is, and this has been going on for years now. CE company's get away with releasing a product that already comes broken. Samsung is probably one of... if not the worst when it comes to these shenanigans. Example you buy a phone or a media player for a specific feature they are advertising on the box, then find out is doesn't work because it needs a firmware update. You either wait and hope it gets activated or return it and get a full refund, and find a product that works as advertised! CE's that avoid license fees reverse engineer their products and such seem to have the worst support whether it be human or hardware....

Now I'm not saying big brother are saints they can be just as bad too when it comes to reliability or CS. Like for instance I'll never buy any Sony electronic product been there done that with their phones in the early 2000's. The only product that they make worth buying to me is the Bravia series TV's.
post #24 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I have owned 3 Samsungs. They are not even a consideration in future purchases. Horrible quality control and even worse customer service.
post #25 of 65 Old 03-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

IMHO it's called Mexico! Place of manufacturing!
post #26 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The same can be said for my 5 year old Samsung 26" bedroom LCD. Is it a matter of "they (Samsung) just dont build them like they used to?

My first HD LCD TV was a 26 inch Samsung monitor purchased in 2005. Never had a problem with it, and I recently passed it on to my Father who loves it. I just bought a Samsung LN40D630 a couple of months ago and, so far so good, but based on recent reports, I have doubts that it will be as trouble-free as my old 26 inch. Maybe they did make them better back then.
post #27 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfluous View Post

You should be!

J.Mike
Those who die with the most toys ... are still dead!
post #28 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:

Keep in mind that the odds are still overwhelmingly in your favor--only 5% of Samsung owners who participated in Consumer Reports' brand reliability survey had repairs or serious problems with their TVs, meaning that 95% did NOT. As I mentioned in post #14, above, the best result in that survey was for Panasonic, with 2% of surveyed owners reporting repairs or serious problems, a 3-point difference with Samsung that is NOT meaningful--i.e., statistically significant--according to Consumer Reports.
post #29 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post

Keep in mind that the odds are still overwhelmingly in your favor--only 5% of Samsung owners who participated in Consumer Reports' brand reliability survey had repairs or serious problems with their TVs, meaning that 95% did NOT. As I mentioned in post #14, above, the best result in that survey was for Panasonic, with 2% of surveyed owners reporting repairs or serious problems, a 3-point difference with Samsung that is NOT meaningful--i.e., statistically significant--according to Consumer Reports.

As the owner of a Samsung HDTV (A850) I did need my boards replaced to stop infra-red remote interference.

Samsung did this for free, and the HDTV has been great since.

Samsung customers support has been great (to me at least) , I had an older Samsung DVD Home Theater that went bad and they repaced it with their top of the line (at that time) Blu ray Home Theater.

The Blu ray Home Theater had issues, but was repaired free under warranty.

So Samsung products do have defects, but I believe their customer support is adequate to redemy most problems.
post #30 of 65 Old 03-28-2012, 11:34 AM

I was surprised to discover that my new Samsung UN55ES6500 was built in Mexico. This is not reassuring.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page