Possible to turn a back-lit LCD into a reflective or transflective LCD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've noticed I really enjoy playing my old Gameboy Advance outside. On a sunny or partly cloudy day, the screen is very bright and colorful. Like all the older gameboys, it uses ambient light to illuminate the screen via a mirror under the LCD.

Problem is, all my other portables are backlit (PSP, DS, 3DS etc.). And they are impossible to play outside on sunny days, you just can't see the screen.

So my question is, would it possible to remove the backlight on any of these devices without damaging the LCD? If so, what would be a good material to use as a reflective surface. Are there any tutorials on this sort of thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-29-2012, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Any LCD nerds want to throw me a bone? Will I damage my LCD if I remove the backlight, or are the parts usually easy to separate?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-29-2012, 05:23 PM

I have no idea if you could be successful in this, but if I were going to try it, I'd use the frosty side of aluminum foil smoothed down really evenly as the "mirror". Or maybe some aluminum paint sprayed onto paper (or even onto the backlight spreader itself if you don't care about the backlight anymore) Obviously you need to be careful with metallic mirror surfaces to avoid shorting out electronics though.

I haven't seen inside of any backlit portables, but there's a good chance that the backlight is sandwiched between the LCD and a PCB, with finicky conductive rubber connectors between the screen and the board. If that's the case, trying this carries a high likelihood of putting very annoying lines of "dead" pixels in the screen, where the finicky rubber contacts failed to seat as nicely a second time as they did the first time.

Patient and careful dissection and analysis of the device would be the way to go, stopping if it looks like something might not go back together nicely if dismantled.

If I had one of these, I might look into it myself, but I don't. I have a laptop that I wouldn't mind being transformed into a reflective screen, but it's a bit expensive for the experiment.... =/
post #4 of 4 Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
If u have a throw-away old TV u wanna try on go ahead, but I wouldn't do it to a new-ish TV. I don't think the reflective element is a mirror but a polished aluminum-like surface.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page