NTSC Tuners - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if they are discontinuing the NTSC tuners in the new flat screen telelvsions? I notice they are not listed in the specs anymore but until all schools go digital the NTSC tuner is really necessary. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would hope not. My basic cable system is still analog with QAM for the locals, and I suspect other systems are as well.
The Panasonic I'm watching for 2012 does have NTSC (42" E5).
post #3 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
I don't think NTSC tuners will be going away anytime soon.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unlikely. NTSC is still authorized in the US for low power operations; I still get analog low power religious and Spanish-language stations.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am not aware of any current model US TVs that do not have NTSC tuners. If they didn't have them users could not use many models of VCR or watch analog OTA TV programs from some local broadcasters.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I only get 2 analog stations where I am now, one comes in fuzzy and the other barely registers a signal. I've heard the last remaining analog stations have to be off the air by September 1, 2013. (Does anyone know about Mexico? Last I heard they were planning on keeping their analog stations on for a long time.)

I just hope if analog tuners do get removed, they won't get rid of standard video connections or analog closed-caption decoders. Since HDMI won't pass caption signals (they're in the vertical interval), I have the Video Out from my receiver connected to my TV and switch to that and turn off upconverting when I want to see captions on discs and tapes.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK the low powered analog stations must be shut down in or before 2017.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo1957 View Post
Does anyone know if they are discontinuing the NTSC tuners in the new flat screen televisions? I notice they are not listed in the specs anymore but until all schools go digital the NTSC tuner is really necessary. Thanks!
The June 12, 2009 date was for when full-power TV stations had to cease NTSC transmissions.

However, September 1, 2015 (at 11:59pm local time) is when low-power TV stations and translators must cease NTSC transmissions.

The FCC general rule is that TVs and other devices intended to receive public television transmissions from over the air (such as VCRs, DVD Recorders) must be able to receive all approved transmissions, which means both ATSC (new, digital) and NTSC (old, analog) transmissions at this time. (But if there are models without tuners, they fall outside of this requirement since those models ceased to be intended to receive public television transmissions from over the air.)

Will TVs be required to have NTSC tuners after September 1, 2015 (a mere 112 days away)? So far, after spending the afternoon Googling around and searching the FCC website, I have failed to turn up anything that said so, and the above paragraph would seem to imply that when the last FCC-authorized NTSC transmission goes dark, the NTSC tuner would cease to be a requirement.

So, it would not surprise me if TV manufacturers silently start dropping the NTSC tuners from their TVs after September 1, 2015.

If you still need an NTSC tuner after that date, maybe now is a good time to start asking TV manufacturers and start bugging the FCC about this issue.

By the way, there are already some exemptions to the NTSC requirement that the FCC had granted:
  • "Mobile TVs" (TVs that are generally battery-operated and usually operated when in motion) are exempt from the NTSC requirement but, if they lack the NTSC tuner, the packing material or the point-of-sale information must disclose that the unit might not receive all TV transmissions.
  • A few devices that are cable-specific (I think that included one model of Tivo) had been granted an exemption but required consumer education on the limitations of those specific devices.
  • I thought I came across a major manufacturer that was granted an exemption on its TVs, but I don't recall the specifics any more.

As we get closer to September 1, hopefully the FCC or the manufacturers will let those who might be affected know what is planned in this area, or some people may have some unexpected surprises come the Christmas shopping season.

(Yes, I know I am replying to a thread that is three years old, but now we are closer to when this could become a serious issue for some members.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page