LG 47LE5400 won't turn off-help please! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Please help! My father-in-law has a LG 47LE5400 TV that has suddenly stopped responding to the remote and won't turn off at the screen either. We turned it off at the power supply and when turned back on the menu option comes up momentarily then disappears. You can't change channels etc when it is acting this way or access the menu screen from the tv selection or remote. After some time (maybe 30 minutes or so) the remote will then start responding and the options on tv (volume, on/off, menu) respond if you press them as well.

My husband I have tried everything and have never seen a TV act so odd. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Please post if you have as my elderly father-in-law is going to drive us crazy if we cannot find the source of this problem!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMarie71 View Post

Please help! My father-in-law has a LG 47LE5400 TV that has suddenly stopped responding to the remote and won't turn off at the screen either. We turned it off at the power supply and when turned back on the menu option comes up momentarily then disappears. You can't change channels etc when it is acting this way or access the menu screen from the tv selection or remote. After some time (maybe 30 minutes or so) the remote will then start responding and the options on tv (volume, on/off, menu) respond if you press them as well.

My husband I have tried everything and have never seen a TV act so odd. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Please post if you have as my elderly father-in-law is going to drive us crazy if we cannot find the source of this problem!!!

Have you tried the buttons on the TV? Do they respond properly?
Smetimes people use spray cleaners on the remotes or TV which can cause this like spilling a soda on a computer keyboard.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

No response from the buttons on the TV either. Brand new batteries in remote. It just becomes frozen. My husband wonders if his dad didn't accidentally lock something up using the remote. Nothing in the manual helps. We're just stumped.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMarie71 View Post

No response from the buttons on the TV either. Brand new batteries in remote. It just becomes frozen. My husband wonders if his dad didn't accidentally lock something up using the remote. Nothing in the manual helps. We're just stumped.

My advice is to call LG and see if there is a set of buttons to reset the factory defaults on that model. Hope this helps

Try searching here as this problem has happened before
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t#post20252808
post #5 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! We'll see if LG can help on Monday and reset it.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
EG3

Liked: 17
It sounds like a button is stuck. It is probably the menu button since when you unplugged/plugged in the set, the menu came up.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-02-2012, 01:13 PM

Liked: 11
I had the same problem (and more) with the same model TV.

Unplug it for a minute and plug it back in.

In my case it was (is) the CEC feature available to all HDMI connected equipment. Disable any feature that allows remote control over HDMI. The feature is called something different by every manufacturer (dammit), but its usually something with a "link" or "net" or "smart" in the name. Once i disabled the HTPC, PS3, and Blu-ray player the problem went away.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 06:00 PM

So what happened because I am having this same exact problem and I dont want to spend a ton of money on a tv.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-07-2013, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
You might want to try a cheap universal remote see if you get any response
post #10 of 10 Old 07-13-2014, 08:08 AM

Liked: 0
I have the same problem

I stumbled across this thread while researching to troubleshoot similar problem with the same model LG TV. After lot of digging I found one link where few folks appear to have to found the problem to be with the front bezel of the TV. The IR receiver is embedded in the front bezel. The defect in this IR receiver makes the TV go nuts with all sort of strange behavior - randomly changing input types, volume, channels - anything the remote could control; except it's all random and you can't do anything about it because the remote or the buttons on the bezel will not work anymore. You have to pull the power cord! The solution is replacing the front bezel. Unfortunately I am not under warranty and most likely will end up buying a new TV. It has come to a state that it happens all the time and has become unbearable. I see this third has been dormant for about 2 years. I hope my reply still helps you.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 47le5400 47 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Led Hdtv With Internet Applications , Blu Ray Players , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page