Westinghouse VR-3730 Service Mode Access - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm deciding whether to keep a Westinghouse 37" 1080P VR-3730 LCD HDTV as a secondary bedroom display. I had a very limited physical space and budget, so I'm trying to maximize it's performance. I have several calibration discs, an i1Display LT meter and will be using HCFR to try and optimize the PQ.

There is a USB port for factory use only. Is there a way to get into Service Mode to adjust White Balance (gray scale)? I have found very little technical information online regarding this or most other Westinghouse TVs. It would be nice to use that Factory USB port!

Anybody work on this Model or similar Westinghouse HDTVs? Any tips or suggestions?

I have briefly looked at some calibration patterns and adjusted Contrast, Brightness, Color (no Tint Control), Sharpness and Color Temperature to get something acceptable. I have not run the colorimeter on it yet. I'm letting it get some hours on it to get some stable meter readings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma54321 View Post

I'm deciding whether to keep a Westinghouse 37" 1080P VR-3730 LCD HDTV as a secondary bedroom display.

Anybody work on this Model or similar Westinghouse HDTVs? Any tips or suggestions?

People have been scouring for the Westinghouse service codes for a while and have not come up with one. The inability to access more in depth settings and the firmware's refusal to remember the aspect ratio and cable clear settings ultimately forced me to return my VR-3730.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_J View Post

People have been scouring for the Westinghouse service codes for a while and have not come up with one. The inability to access more in depth settings and the firmware's refusal to remember the aspect ratio and cable clear settings ultimately forced me to return my VR-3730.

I have also noticed the lack of memory for Zoom Mode (with a default of FILL only) and Noise Reduction always set to WEAK.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about the Cable clear settings. Does it forget the channels or something else. I have not seen anything weird about the QAM or CABLE tuner settings.

What did you ultimately get to replace the Westinghouse?
post #4 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

I also have noticed that only the USER Picture Mode is adjustable. The other Modes including MOVIE cannot be changed. When I attempted to change a Picture Mode setting, it immediately switched to the USER mode.

I don't know whether the gamma or other parameter performance is different in each Picture Mode. I need to do some measurments - soon.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:

I have also noticed the lack of memory for Zoom Mode (with a default of FILL only) and Noise Reduction always set to WEAK.

I'm not sure I understand your comment about the Cable clear settings. Does it forget the channels or something else. I have not seen anything weird about the QAM or CABLE tuner settings.

What did you ultimately get to replace the Westinghouse?

I couldn't recall what Westinghouse called their noise reduction settings. The Orion/Toshiba 34HR85 I have calls it "cable clear" and I had that stuck in my brain. I was referring to the noise reduction setting on the Westinghouse though under the setup menu where the aspect ratio setting is. They apparently intentionally designed those two settings to not stick according to a review.

I'm still looking for a replacement. I went ot the 32CS560 after the VR-3730 and I think everyone knows that didn't work out well at all lol. I'm considering the 32LK450 but, I'm not sure I want to give LG my business and there is nothing else currently on the market I am interested in other than the Korean 2560x1440 monitors on ebay.

Quote:

I also have noticed that only the USER Picture Mode is adjustable. The other Modes including MOVIE cannot be changed. When I attempted to change a Picture Mode setting, it immediately switched to the USER mode.

I don't know whether the gamma or other parameter performance is different in each Picture Mode. I need to do some measurments - soon.

I noticed a visual difference if I started out in a different mode and then made my adjustments but, my eyes could have been playing tricks on me. Starting out on normal yielded the best results but that was with my eyes and thus is highly subjective. It would be interesting to see what the measurements are.

According to some of the "pitches" made at CES 2012, they have apparently added a more in depth menu for their 2012 sets. That remains to be seen though. The lack of being able to adjust all the different settings individually didn't bother me as my 43HR85 is the same way. However, after being able to do it on the 32CS560, being able to have multiple settings on the TV is a must.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_J View Post

According to some of the "pitches" made at CES 2012, they have apparently added a more in depth menu for their 2012 sets. That remains to be seen though. The lack of being able to adjust all the different settings individually didn't bother me as my 43HR85 is the same way. However, after being able to do it on the 32CS560, being able to have multiple settings on the TV is a must.

Does the CES 2012 presentation mean that each input device can have it's own picture settings? That is the only observation that I have seen regarding depth of control settings. No tint or white balance controls at all.

The display panel is very sensitive to viewing angle. Maybe +/-10 degrees from the center in the vertical direction and +/-15 degrees horizontal. Beyond that range and color and black levels degrade rapidly. In my case, due to the TV's position in the bedroom I can angle the TV to get exactly in the center and perpendicular to the screen in both directions. The swivel stand is something I didn't really expect but have found, due to the TV's location in my room, is a nice and necessary feature.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:

Does the CES 2012 presentation mean that each input device can have it's own picture settings? That is the only observation that I have seen regarding depth of control settings. No tint or white balance controls at all.

Nothing I read was very specific. Here is an excerpt form the CES 21012 press release:

Quote:

Westinghouse will debut four new CCFL-based sets at CES including the generously sized 50" CW50 series the 38.5" CW39 series, and the 37" CW37 series. All three full HD 1080p sets offer three HDMI, one component and one VGA input. The sets also feature a host of picture enhancements sure to please even finicky viewers, including 3D noise reduction, inverse 3:2 pull down for flicker-free movies, three-way selectable color temperature and super quick response times for fast-moving sports.

Time will tell I suppose. Even adding a backlight control would be a substantial improvement for black levels. I wouldn't expect the menu to offer nearly as much as an LG menu would though.

Quote:

The display panel is very sensitive to viewing angle. Maybe +/-10 degrees from the center in the vertical direction and +/-15 degrees horizontal. Beyond that range and color and black levels degrade rapidly.

I don't recall having that issue on mine at least not with the colours. Are you talking about a loss of quality on the entire screen at once or are you talking about the gamma shift from the "viewing cone"?

The largest issue with viewing angles on the VR-3730 is they use a S-PVA panel. I know some people like them but, the A-MVA panels handle viewing angles and black levels better than S-PVA. Well, at least better than a CMO S-PVA which is what it is in the VR-3730. S-PVA panels differ by a fairly large extent as people rave about the one in the LNxxD550 line from Samsung.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page