New Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
We are redoing our living room. Here is a picture. Since we are adding glass doors I thought it would be best to get a LCD. The room is about 17' x 15'.
I have DirecTV, MacMini, AppleTV, PS3, xbox360 and I want to add an audio/video receiver.

Here are my questions:

How big should the LCD be?

How high off the ground should I mount the LCD?

I want to get a LCD bracket mount that I can swing the LCD to the right (See diagram). Can you recommend a good bracket?

Where should I locate all my equipment? During construction I want to install a conduit to the back of LCD. So only 1 HDMI cable to LCD.

What kind of sound system since the room is not that big and we are putting wood floors. Soundbar, 5.1 sound system. 2 speaker?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

We are redoing our living room. Here is a picture. Since we are adding glass doors I thought it would be best to get a LCD. The room is about 17' x 15'.
I have DirecTV, MacMini, AppleTV, PS3, xbox360 and I want to add an audio/video receiver.

Here are my questions:

How big should the LCD be?

How high off the ground should I mount the LCD?

I want to get a LCD bracket mount that I can swing the LCD to the right (See diagram). Can you recommend a good bracket?

Where should I locate all my equipment? During construction I want to install a conduit to the back of LCD. So only 1 HDMI cable to LCD.

What kind of sound system since the room is not that big and we are putting wood floors. Soundbar, 5.1 sound system. 2 speaker?

Thank you!

Well if you are adding an avr why would you use a soundbar? The only question audio wise with amount of speakers should be 3.1? 5.1? 7.1? Etc.. You are using it mainly for movies games and tv so 2 speakers would be suboptimal...
post #3 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Displays in the corner are always challenging. If you are running a conduit and will have access to both ends after the room is finished it's not a big deal but if not pull yourself at least 4 cat5's for the future along with your HDMI...these can be used for RS232 an IR extender and/or a hardwired net connection, this way you can put a router and all your A/V in another room. With an articulating mount the center channel of your sound system becomes difficult to do correctly. The easiest way would a mounting bracket that will connect an LCR soundbar to your display so it swings with your TV and some in-ceiling speakers for your surrounds. The easiest way to control it all is to buy an AVR and display that have a remote APP already developed (a lot if not most do these days) so you can control it all over TCP/IP with an touch or droid.
post #4 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaTaSTrOphiK View Post

Well if you are adding an avr why would you use a soundbar? The only question audio wise with amount of speakers should be 3.1? 5.1? 7.1? Etc.. You are using it mainly for movies games and tv so 2 speakers would be suboptimal...

Sorry for the confusion. My question is what would be the best system? SoundBar, 2 speaker, etc. I do know you I dont need an AVR if I went to soundbar. Yes I am mainly using for Movies and Games. So you are recommending a 2 speaker system? What Brand?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos5861 View Post

Sorry for the confusion. My question is what would be the best system? SoundBar, 2 speaker, etc. I do know you I dont need an AVR if I went to soundbar. Yes I am mainly using for Movies and Games. So you are recommending a 2 speaker system? What Brand?

No I am recommending at least a 3.1 system.. There is a ton of good brands in speakers everyone has there personal preferences. Go out have a listen don't buy the first one you hear.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 93
There certainly are a lot of doors for the room to be an optimal home theater location. With the TV in one corner and the sectional couch tucked into a corner on the opposite side of the room, the people sitting on the right side of the sectional may have viewing angle problems. For that reason alone, I would probably suggest an LG due to its wider viewing angles.

As for a sound system, I would suggest a decent quality 5.1 system. The in-ceiling rear surround speakers sound like a great suggestion. I have heard some (Polk and Bose) that do a pretty good job. My speakers are all Polk bookshelf models (except for the subwoofer), but I like Klipsch and other intermediate quality speakers as well. Since you didn't specify a budget, it's hard to make specific recommendations.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Liked: 10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum...ewing_distance

Based on your room size you are going to want to go big, The Sharp 70" sets are affordable for their size.

Def Tech makes some nice wall hanging speakers

http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...l/default.aspx

and there are others, it would help people a lot to know your budget.

For sound I would recommend at least a 2.1 or 3.1 setup.

For mounting height, do not make the mistake of mounting it too high, Ideally you want the center of the screen to be about level with your head when your sitting down. If you mount it too high you will ahve to look up to watch it, which is uncomfortable.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page