Official Samsung UNXXES6100 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 871 Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
is the UNxxES6150 from Costco or Sams same as 6100? If not, what are the differences? Can I use the same calibration settings that were posted earlier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 871 Old 07-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtilldead View Post

I'm having some issues regarding the aspect ratio (i.e vertical black bars).
I am playing content via HDMI cable but there are black vertical bars showing. Admittedly, the broadcast is SD, however, I am using the 16:9 setting on my TV but still get the black vertical bars. Even If I play around with the settings in screen adjustment, the aspect ratio changes but the vertical black bars remain where they are (even when choosing 16:9 or screen fit).
The screen "fills up" fine during BluRay/Smart Hub & HD content.
Everything was fine when I bought the TV (i.e. screen would "stretch" to remove the bars), the only tweak I did was doing some calibration (JaVae's settings above).
Can anyone help me out on how to get rid of the black vertical bars when displaying SD content?
P.S. the screen stretched fine in my old Samsung TV.
Thanks.

make sure you are not using the sreen fit picture size mode......use 16:9...also check if you need to change the settings in your tv decoder.
post #273 of 871 Old 07-21-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 11
Thinking about using this tv as a computer monitor the 40 inch version any thoughts?
post #274 of 871 Old 07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 198
http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-un46es6100.html

I was reading the review for this model on the website linked above and for a number of reasons, I don't think that source is reliable or accurate (technically speaking at least). It mentions things like "black saturation", "D65K", and the following:

"While we initially thought that this panel would by the Ultra Clear Screen technology that we liked so much in 2011 it is actually a semi-matte finish screen. As a result there is poorer side viewing angle quality in this TV as all matte type LCD screen finishes diminish contrast and saturation at side viewing angles. While this treatment does cut down on reflection from the screen, there is glare off the screen from in room light.

As with any LED/LCD TV with a matte or semi-matte screen finish your viewing angles are going to suffer. The ES6100 is not worse than others in this area, in fact it may be better but contrast/saturation diminished by around 20% at 25 to 30 degrees off center. Stay front and center for the best results from this TV."

I've never heard anything before about a matte screen finish hurting viewing angles and PQ at those angles. Sounds like nonsense to me and makes me wonder if this site holds a candle to CNET or Consumer Reports. Anyone else find this review site questionable?

Also, on a completely separate note, does this TV do 3D? The review says it does but the Samsung website does not.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #275 of 871 Old 07-21-2012, 08:37 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I've never heard anything before about a matte screen finish hurting viewing angles and PQ at those angles. Sounds like nonsense to me and makes me wonder if this site holds a candle to CNET or Consumer Reports. Anyone else find this review site questionable?
Also, on a completely separate note, does this TV do 3D? The review says it does but the Samsung website does not.

Read some of the other reviews on their site. Some of them don't even sound like they had the actual TV with them for doing the review.

And I don't think the matte finish is what causes the viewing angle problems. It is Samsung S-PVA panel tech combined with their edge lit design.
post #276 of 871 Old 07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocellaris View Post

Read some of the other reviews on their site. Some of them don't even sound like they had the actual TV with them for doing the review.
And I don't think the matte finish is what causes the viewing angle problems. It is Samsung S-PVA panel tech combined with their edge lit design.

good to know it's not just me then smile.gif

post #277 of 871 Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lednewbie View Post

make sure you are not using the sreen fit picture size mode......use 16:9...also check if you need to change the settings in your tv decoder.

My TV is set to 16:9 and the cable box is also on widescreen. But I'm still getting black vertical bars as if the display is 4:3 (this is with HDMI connection). HD channels are OK but cant get the SD channels to fill the screen,

On the other hand, when I connect through composite, I get 16:9 display but it seems as if everything is "zoomed".

Please can someone advise how I can fill the screen with HDMI connection?
post #278 of 871 Old 07-22-2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:

I thought the same thing! The review talks about the 3D quality viewing when I'm almost 100 percent positive it does not have 3D. Amazon doesn't mention anything and the Samsung specs specifically state it is only 2D. What a horrible review! Does anyone who owns this set confirm this?
post #279 of 871 Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seinfeld1104 View Post

I thought the same thing! The review talks about the 3D quality viewing when I'm almost 100 percent positive it does not have 3D. Amazon doesn't mention anything and the Samsung specs specifically state it is only 2D. What a horrible review! Does anyone who owns this set confirm this?

This set is definitely 3D if you want i can even make a picture of it smile.gif. Avatar in 3D looked awesome.
post #280 of 871 Old 07-22-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasekamoz View Post

This set is definitely 3D if you want i can even make a picture of it smile.gif. Avatar in 3D looked awesome.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasekamoz View Post

This set is definitely 3D if you want i can even make a picture of it smile.gif. Avatar in 3D looked awesome.[/quote

All I know is I just went on the Samsung website and looked up this model number and no place in the product description does it mention 3D. The 6500, 7000 and 8000 all have it. But I am not seeing anything that says the 6100 is 3D.
post #281 of 871 Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 PM

post #282 of 871 Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Some non-US models have different feature sets. I do believe they are reviewing these models.
post #283 of 871 Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM

Another reviewer who owns an ES6500 said that the viewing angle on the edge light Samsung ES6x00 is dreadful to the point where his couch only had one good viewing seat. And the couch was literally centered in front of the TV, 10 feet away. Also the CE Dimming was highly annoying, and when you switch modes to disable it, you may get a lot of clouding and other uniformity problems.

Has anyone who owns the ES6100 experienced similar issues?
post #284 of 871 Old 07-28-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Another reviewer who owns an ES6500 said that the viewing angle on the edge light Samsung ES6x00 is dreadful to the point where his couch only had one good viewing seat. And the couch was literally centered in front of the TV, 10 feet away. Also the CE Dimming was highly annoying, and when you switch modes to disable it, you may get a lot of clouding and other uniformity problems.
Has anyone who owns the ES6100 experienced similar issues?

if you look at reviews for ES series Samsung LED-LCDs on CR.org, you'll find the viewing angles evenly split between 'narrow' and 'moderate'... think LCD panel lottery, some LCD panel types/versions have worse viewing angles than others

what you described is definitely a narrow viewing angle, so narrow that the TV is basically useless for more than one seat on the couch... I imagine larger screen sizes would be affected the most

post #285 of 871 Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM

I kind of settled on the UN40ES6100, so I went to Best Buy and looked at it. The display model had noticeable bright spots near the corners. See above. The bright spots in the lower right are about the size of dimes; they looked worse in person. (The spots near the laptop image are just reflections of the store lighting.)

Other than that, the picture looked fine. Is this typical for the ES6100? Don’t know if I’d want spots like that after spending $800.
post #286 of 871 Old 07-30-2012, 03:21 AM

i don't have any of those spots... def. not "normal" or acceptable.
post #287 of 871 Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM

So I guess the advice is to buy one and keep my fingers crossed that my TV doesn't have a similar defect...
post #288 of 871 Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM

post #289 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 04:49 AM

I bought the UN40ES6100 last night. The screen is fine (I would say perfect, but you guys probably have a different definition of "perfect" than me). No bright spots. I turned off the auto backlight adjustment because it was very annoying and the screen was too dark with the auto adjust on.

Now I have to get the WiFi streaming set up properly. Samsung's AllShare server was crappy. The TV works with the Win7 / Windows Media Player streaming, but the setup is clunky and I have to rename MKV files to WMV for them to play. Also, there's no real FF/rewind function.

Any suggestions on a better DLNA server than what's built in to Win7?
post #290 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Some non-US models have different feature sets. I do believe they are reviewing these models.
That would explain a lot since my 60" definitely does not have any 3D capabilities.

Bill
post #291 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyan Cat View Post

I turned off the auto backlight adjustment because it was very annoying and the screen was too dark with the auto adjust on.

How did you turn off the auto backlight adjustment? Previously I thought we found it was only done by setting picture mode to "movie".
post #292 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisman1287 View Post

How did you turn off the auto backlight adjustment? Previously I thought we found it was only done by setting picture mode to "movie".

I think that poster meant the eco sensor or energy saving auto feature (whatever it's called on the 2012 sets, I don't know the exact name).

post #293 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM

Liked: 12
At least on the ES7100 you go to settings -Eco sensor -off-on. If on you can adjust the minimum backlight setting. This will remain in place till the backlight is adjusted in the main menu picture settings then it will revert to off and you have to go back and cut it on. I keep my minimum around 5..+or -1
post #294 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

I think that poster meant the eco sensor or energy saving auto feature (whatever it's called on the 2012 sets, I don't know the exact name).
Menu - System - Eco Solution - Eco Sensor set to Off
That's the only setting I changed. The varying backlighting was really annoying and generally too dark. There's a minimum backlight setting, but I didn't try changing it.

I'm pretty intimidated by all the other settings, so I left them alone.
post #295 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 04:39 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Menu - System - Eco Solution - Eco Sensor set to Off
That's the only setting I changed. The varying backlighting was really annoying and generally too dark. There's a minimum backlight setting, but I didn't try changing it.
I'm pretty intimidated by all the other settings, so I left them alone.

I find the minimum backlight setting to be a key part of my set up. But you don't want it too low as it becomes too noticeable during changes.
post #296 of 871 Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Hi,

I'm testing a 40ES6100 for a specific use and I'd need to disable all wi-fi capabilities on the device, especially the wireless signals the TV is emitting for direct connect purposes.

I've gone through all the menu settings and couldn't find any way to disable the wi-fi capabilities.

Does anyone know how to do this model, or on any new Samsung 2012 models?

Thank you
post #297 of 871 Old 08-02-2012, 01:50 AM

On the ES6100, what's the difference between Auto motion plus and LED motion plus? Both say "Optimize screen for displaying fast action scenes".
post #298 of 871 Old 08-02-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On the ES6100, what's the difference between Auto motion plus and LED motion plus? Both say "Optimize screen for displaying fast action scenes".

frame interpolation vs. backlight scanning

post #299 of 871 Old 08-02-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

LED motion plus reportedly strobes the LED backlight, doesn't have much effect to most.
Auto motion plus controls the frame interpolation that can produce the so-called "soap opera effect" from 24fps movies. Some hate it while others like it, but you can adjust it to your personal preference.
post #300 of 871 Old 08-03-2012, 03:39 AM

OK, thanks, guys.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un60es6100 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page