Official Samsung UNXXES6100 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 869 Old 09-24-2012, 06:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought the 40ES6100F over the weekend. So far I am pretty impressed with the tv. Quite a jump over my 5 year old samsung. The only issue I am having is clouding in Movie mode on very dark (almost black) scenes. I have absolutely no clouding or flashlighting in dynamic, standard, or natural mode. I was watching old Buffy the Vampire Slayers on DVD in 4:3 and during the night, dark scenes it was a little distracting. I have played with backlight, contrast, brightness, gamma, dynamic contrast and energy saver junk and no effect (better or worse) unless I turn backlight down to about 9 which is black crush land. Movie mode just seems to have slight clouding and the other modes do not. Any thoughts?? Some have said that slight clouding may go away after a hundred hours or so?

The set shipped with firmware 1016.4. The new version is 1020. Has anyone had a bad experience updating? I ask because Samsung does not make it easy to revert to old firmware if you are unhappy with the picture. I have no problem updating I just want to make sure I don't create problems:-)

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 869 Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob6 View Post

The set shipped with firmware 1016.4. The new version is 1020. Has anyone had a bad experience updating? I ask because Samsung does not make it easy to revert to old firmware if you are unhappy with the picture. I have no problem updating I just want to make sure I don't create problems:-)
Thanks

I purchased the UN40ES6100 back in July, which also had the 1016.4 firmware. I have downloaded all of the updates between then and now (I just downloaded version 1020 a few days ago) and have not had problems with any of the updates. I was a little hesitant as well, but so far so good.
post #363 of 869 Old 09-24-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalfantasykid View Post

Regarding my earlier post about the bright spots on the edge of the screen, I felt the left and right frame of the screen and noticed that it gets extremely hot. If I were to compare the heat to something, I would say it gets almost as hot as a mug full of coffee. The heat also seems to be slightly worse on the upper half of the screen than the lower (maybe because heat rises). I'd like to know whether this amount of heat is normal.
EDIT: I should point out that I am using Movie mode with 20 backlight (we are in a bright room)

I can tell you that my set is also in a bright room, but I have my backlight setting at 10. At 20 you are maxed out. A setting of 10 in my great room is perfect: nice, deep blacks, no clouding or blooming, and a nice bright picture during the day.

I am very, very pleased with this set; what sold me on pulling the trigger on this TV was the black levels. My brother has this set and after seeing it in action over the course of several days during a late summer visit after watching sports, a couple of movies and a regular TV show or two I was hooked. As I said, very surprised at the black levels, and did not want or need a 3D set. I replaced a 55" rear projection set 11 years old and have waited quite a while looking for a new set I could be happy with, as I am quite picky about my TV picture.

I would suggest turning down your backlight setting for a couple of days and give it a try. In my room with a setting of 10 and the other settings adjusted accordingly I get an excellent picture with plenty of "pop". My wife and I are very pleased with this set and glad we got it. Don't give up on it yet.

Ken
post #364 of 869 Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 AM

Weird question... is there a way to turn this TV off/on directly on the TV? IOW, without the remote?

And yes, I've read the manual, and it doesn't mention this. Hard to believe there's no way to do this. I've tried touching various places along the edge, but no luck.

Thanks!!

Stuart
Houston TX
post #365 of 869 Old 09-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Push in the little "joy stick" in that is located on the back of the TV in the lower right hand corner. That will pull up a little on screen menu. I believe you push the joy stick down to select "power" and then push it in. Your TV should turn off.
post #366 of 869 Old 09-25-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob6 View Post

Push in the little "joy stick" in that is located on the back of the TV in the lower right hand corner. That will pull up a little on screen menu. I believe you push the joy stick down to select "power" and then push it in. Your TV should turn off.
Bingo! That was it.

Muchos gracias! smile.gif
post #367 of 869 Old 09-25-2012, 06:35 PM

I have a question for everyone who has their UNXXES6100 connected trough HDMI to PC (and not HTCP) and they watch their movies or series with a help of MPC-HC, WMP, TMT3, TMT5 or CyberLink PowerDVD.

Are you able to get flawless 1080p@24p playback?

I'm asking that because i can't get a flawless playback. When watching anything on TV there is always some juddering. The only way that I'm able to get flawless 1080p@24p playback is by using "external" software called ReClock (http://forum.slysoft.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85, http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ReClock_DirectShow_Filter.htm). Below is the configuration of my computer if that helps.

My PC:
Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz
ATI Radeon HD 5770 Series (AMD Catalyst 12.6)
Memory (RAM) 6,00 GB
SSD: Caviar M4 128GB SATA2 (OS Windows)

Playback software:
TotalMedia Theatre 3.0.1.195
TotalMedia Theatre 5.0.1.114

I have used this calibration setting: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-es6100-picturesettings.html
Code:
Post Calibration Settings

Picture Mode    Movie
Backlight       16
Contrast        95
Brightness      45
Sharpness       15
Color           50
Tint            G50/R50

Advance Settings:
Dynamic Contrast        Off
Black Tone              Off
Flesh Tone              0
RGB Only Mode           Off
Color Space             Auto
10pt White Balance      On
Gamma                   +1
Expert Pattern          Off
xvYCC                   Off

Picture Options:
Color Tone              Warm2
Digital Noise Filter    Off
MPEG Noise Filter       Off
HDMI Black Level        Low
Film Mode               Off 
Auto Motion Plus        Off
LED Motion Plus         Off

10pt White Balance

On
Interval        Red     Green   Blue
1                0      -1      -1      
2               -1      -1      -1      
3                0       0       0      
4               -1       0      +1      
5               -1      -1      +1      
6               -1      -1      -1      
7               -1      -1      -1      
8                0       0       0      
9               +1       0       0      
10              +2       0       0

White Balance
Setting         Value
R-Offset        25
G-Offset        25
B-Offset        28
R-Gain          18
G-Gain          23
B-Gain          21

Screen Adjustment
Picture Size    Screen Fit

I have tried many settings (TV settings) to see if that will resolve the juddering, but nothing helped. For testing i have used Avengers Blu-ray (Black Widow fight scene from 00:14:00 to 00:15:30 minutes) and i played it both with TMT3 and TMT5. Here is what i have tried:
1) I have updated the firmware.
2) I have tried playing movie in Standard and Movie mode. All the setting under eco solution ere OFF, including Eco sensor was off.

HDMI was named PC.
Movie mode - all setting were the same, i have only changed Auto motion plus. I have tried InsuranceWhiz settings and the settings from the site a have mentioned before.
Auto motion plus: Custom, Blur reduction: 10, Judder reduction: 0 (no ghosting, less juddering but it is still there)
Auto motion plus: Custom, Blur reduction: 8, Judder reduction: 3 (little ghosting, less juddering but it is still there) - InsuranceWhiz settings.
Auto motion plus: CLEAR (in 90 seconds there were 2 judders)
Auto motion plus: SMOOTH (less juddering but a lot of ghosting - in 90 seconds there were 2 judders)
Auto motion plus: OFF (in 90 seconds there were 2 judders)

Standard mode - I have tried InsuranceWhiz settings
Auto motion plus: Custom, Blur reduction: 10, Judder reduction: 0 (no ghosting, less juddering but it is still there)
Auto motion plus: Custom, Blur reduction: 8, Judder reduction: 3 (little ghosting, less juddering but it is still there) - InsuranceWhiz settings.
Auto motion plus: CLEAR (in 90 seconds there were 2 judders)
Auto motion plus: SMOOTH (less juddering but a lot of ghosting - in 90 seconds there were 2 judders)
Auto motion plus: OFF (in 90 seconds there were 2 judders)

3) I have renamed/edit name of my HDMI connection from PC to Bluray.
I tried again playback in Standard and Movie mode (Auto Motion Plus Off) and there was judder in both cases.

So is it possible that my computer in not good enough? Or am i doing something else wrong?

Questions:
1) So my question is how did you get flawless 1080p@24p playback?
2) Which program did you use for playback (tell also version of a program)?
3) Your computer specification?
4) How did you name your HDMI type (PC, Bluray, .....)?
post #368 of 869 Old 09-26-2012, 11:06 AM

I have my Samsung UNXXES6100 hooked up via my stereo (HDMI).... sound is great pumping through my stereo speakers however when I go to the smart feature (internet, USB movies, ET) My sound gets turned off... I see a popup about anytime somethingorother and poof... No sound on my movies playing in the USB port (internet direct/youtube/et et et)...

Any ideas here?

hookup is as following

Cable box to stereo (HDMI)
Blu Ray to stereo (HDMI)

Stereo out (HDMI) to TV

Seems very simple

On the TV - I have changed from internal to external sound in the menus

TV sound is excellent!!!

Once I go to the smart menus - a popup comes up about sound and poof... No more sound

help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
post #369 of 869 Old 09-26-2012, 04:55 PM

Liked: 17
This is me just guessing based on the only weird part of your issue (the popup), did you try disabling anynet to see if it makes a difference?

Also what format are you sending your stereo?
post #370 of 869 Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 AM

I will try to disable the AnyNet and see if that makes a difference. The stereo is set to PCM. I will grab the model model and post more specifics when I get home tonight.
post #371 of 869 Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 AM

Disabling the anynet feature makes no difference. My Sony Receiver is an ES1000 series. I tried making a few tweaks to HDMI control on both the stereo and the TV, but I still do not get sound once I click into the "smartmode"
post #372 of 869 Old 09-28-2012, 04:25 PM

That's just weird, tried a different cable? A faulty or leaky HDMI cable will cause the strangest crap. Also did you try setting the stereo to auto format? Who knows if the TV ALWAYS sends the format you pick in the config menu.
post #373 of 869 Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM

I just got this set today (as a replacement under warranty for a Sony model 3+ years old).

I like it so far aside from the fact SD looks very blocky. Looking at a very old Sharp LCD, it looks way better on SD. I have the noise reduction and mpeg filter on auto and changing the setting doesn't seem to fix it any. It's like I'm looking at a grid of blocks.

Any idea why? Is that normal for this set?

I don't expect SD to look perfect, but I definitely didn't expect this.
post #374 of 869 Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempletonPeck View Post

I just got this set today (as a replacement under warranty for a Sony model 3+ years old).
I like it so far aside from the fact SD looks very blocky. Looking at a very old Sharp LCD, it looks way better on SD. I have the noise reduction and mpeg filter on auto and changing the setting doesn't seem to fix it any. It's like I'm looking at a grid of blocks.
Any idea why? Is that normal for this set?
I don't expect SD to look perfect, but I definitely didn't expect this.

SD doesn't look excellent on big LCD TVs. Try this settings:
Quote:
Post Calibration Settings

Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 16
Contrast 95
Brightness 45
Sharpness 15
Color 50
Tint G50/R50

Advance Settings:
Dynamic Contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space Auto
10pt White Balance On
Gamma +1
Expert Pattern Off
xvYCC Off

Picture Options:
Color Tone Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black Level Low
Film Mode Off
Auto Motion Plus Off
LED Motion Plus Off

10pt White Balance

On
Interval Red Green Blue
1 0 -1 -1
2 -1 -1 -1
3 0 0 0
4 -1 0 +1
5 -1 -1 +1
6 -1 -1 -1
7 -1 -1 -1
8 0 0 0
9 +1 0 0
10 +2 0 0

White Balance
Setting Value
R-Offset 25
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 28
R-Gain 18
G-Gain 23
B-Gain 21

Screen Adjustment
Picture Size Screen Fit
post #375 of 869 Old 09-30-2012, 11:53 AM

I find the better the TV, the worse SD looks, since you see more and more of the imperfections. Noise reduction and MPEG reduction help, although I find both of those tend to add a tiny amount of ghosting to the image.
post #376 of 869 Old 09-30-2012, 03:23 PM

I was going to return this because of how awful this looked. I tried the settings posted by Zasekamoz and its night and day. I think this is exactly what this is supposed to look like. Once I dialed these in, it looks completely different. This is probably one of the best displays that I have seen.

post #377 of 869 Old 09-30-2012, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the input guys, appreciate it. I'm going to give those settings a try when I get home tonight.

Like I said I didn't expect SD to be really good or anything, but it looks awful and unwatchable really right now.
post #378 of 869 Old 09-30-2012, 03:56 PM

@ TempletonPeck try the settings and report here how did you found them.
post #379 of 869 Old 09-30-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finalfantasykid View Post

I find the better the TV, the worse SD looks, since you see more and more of the imperfections. Noise reduction and MPEG reduction help, although I find both of those tend to add a tiny amount of ghosting to the image.

@Finalfantasykid do yourself a favor and turn off noise reduction and MPEG reduction.
post #380 of 869 Old 10-01-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasekamoz View Post

@ TempletonPeck try the settings and report here how did you found them.

I gave them a try. HD looks pretty good, but SD is still terrible. It's still all blocky.

I went as far as to replace the coaxial cable to see if it was a signal issue, but it wasn't.

I'm also noticing that this TV has terrible viewing angles. I'm sitting only about 7 feet back and the colour shift can be seen while sitting pretty much dead center. If I look to the one side of the screen I can see black turning to purple. I thought my old Sony TV was bad, but at least with that if you were on centre there was no shift. Is this normal on this set, or is there some sort of panel lottery going on here with this model?

Also, last night when watching I saw a lot of clouding and a couple flashlights in the corners. Probably the worst I've seen on a set personally before. Although I'm used to some backlight bleed/flashlights, but I've never had clouding on a set before.

I might be stuck with this set at this point and it's very disappointing.
post #381 of 869 Old 10-01-2012, 09:18 PM

If you used a backlight setting of 16 that is probably way too high; try backing it down to at least 12. Leave brightness at 45, contrast at 95 and drop your color setting to 37 and see if that improves your picture and diminishes or eliminates the clouding.

Ken
post #382 of 869 Old 10-01-2012, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zasekamoz View Post

@Finalfantasykid do yourself a favor and turn off noise reduction and MPEG reduction.

I should have mentioned that because of the negative aspects of the noise/mpeg reduction, I have them disabled at all times.
post #383 of 869 Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM

I don't see any of the problems you see. I watch DVDs (SD, of course) and they look fantastic. SD channels from my cable box look great. I use HDMI for both, so maybe that's why. And I don't see any problems with the viewing angle.
post #384 of 869 Old 10-07-2012, 12:42 AM

Just got the UN60ES6100 last week, and I'm noticing a weird issue. At the top of the screen, there's about 3/8" all the way across the top where colors are darker. It's not noticeable in bright scenes or brighter colors, but it's very visible in reddish colors. Does anybody else have this problem? Should I exchange it? I have some flashlighting and such, but expected that with a side-lit tv. The issue is the same across all inputs, one a PC and the other my xbox. I should mention I'm running in movie mode, calibrated.

post #385 of 869 Old 10-07-2012, 03:18 PM

I just got a UN46ES6100 today. I have it connected from my DVR/Cable box to the TV via HDMI cable. This only happens on HD channels but from time to time the picture goes black, audio goes out for about 1-2 seconds and then it comes back on with the info in the top left corner. It acts exactly like when you change the channel but you're not changing it. It comes back on the same channel. This morning it was doing it 2-3 times over 5 minutes. I unplugged the power to the TV and the DVR. So far after 4 hours it's done it once. Any suggestions?
post #386 of 869 Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 PM

its probably lag from your HD signal............i dont know if satellite HD tv signal have the same issue.
post #387 of 869 Old 10-07-2012, 06:10 PM

Try disabling anynet just in case...
post #388 of 869 Old 10-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lednewbie View Post

its probably lag from your HD signal............i dont know if satellite HD tv signal have the same issue.

That would be out of my control right? I had a 22" Samsung before and never noticed any issues. The only thing I changed when I put this TV in was the HDMI cable. I went from 6 ft to 15 ft. I'm wondering if the cable/dvr box isn't getting a strong enough signal to the TV over that distance.
post #389 of 869 Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcidwx View Post

That would be out of my control right? I had a 22" Samsung before and never noticed any issues. The only thing I changed when I put this TV in was the HDMI cable. I went from 6 ft to 15 ft. I'm wondering if the cable/dvr box isn't getting a strong enough signal to the TV over that distance.

well...its a very long cable IMO the one you are using.........im sure you already tried this....but did you check the other HDMI inputs?.........and try a shorter cable.....but i still think its lag from HD signal...thats the reason it happens when we change the channel....good luck.
post #390 of 869 Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcidwx View Post

Check these out. I have 2 in the 6' length being use on my es8000. They are extremely small diameter and are source directional. Work flawlessly.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025503&p_id=9429&seq=1&format=2
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un60es6100 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page