1Likes

post #541 of 872 Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrmc24 View Post

Can someone please update the best calibration settings for this model. Preferably settings that I can use for gaming, blu rays, and regular watching tv. I prefer to calibrate under standard settings instead of movie as movie gives it more of a dull look. Thank you very much, appreciate it.
Try mine earlier in the thread.

// Sent using Tapatalk HD Beta. Please PM me with any issues. //

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I blind or es6100 doesn't have the Shadow Detail setting under Advanced Options?
post #543 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Can someone please update the best calibration settings for this model. Preferably settings that I can use for gaming, blu rays, and regular watching tv. I prefer to calibrate under standard settings instead of movie as movie gives it more of a dull look. Thank you very much, appreciate it.

There are several in this thread. Try them and pick your favorite.
post #544 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to turn off CE Dimming? I can get into the Service Menu but I cannot get into the Advanced section.
post #545 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 09:30 AM

I'v read that setting Shadow Detail to +2 should do the job, but there's no such option in es6100 menu...
post #546 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Liked: 11
Be careful going into the Service Menu. Let me know if it improves things.
@ Sutter Kain - I was reading through other forums that the shadow detail may be called something else on the service menu.

I'm scheduled to have Geek Squad stop by and calibrate my tv. I would think they know how to get it spot on.
post #547 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM

@ Hector,

Could you post your settings after the Geek Squad stops by along with any additional tweaks they may make, please? I'm in a small town and don't have access to any sort of tv tech. Anyway, I'd greatly appreciate it.
post #548 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 09:59 PM

@Xombie - no prob. They stop by the 17th. I would imagine they go into the service menu, but idk. Nonetheless, I'll post what they change.
post #549 of 872 Old 01-08-2013, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsuranceWhiz View Post

Does anyone know how to turn off CE Dimming? I can get into the Service Menu but I cannot get into the Advanced section.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435194/tweak-disabling-autodimming-for-samsung-eseries-smart-tv-mine-is-es6710

Panasonic TX-P42GT50E, Oppo 103, Schiit Vali, Denon AHD2000 + Moon Audio Blue Dragon V3, Phonak Audeo 121, Vsonic GR07, Fiio E17, Cowon S9, XLO cables :: CalMAN 5 Enthusiast,Chromapure Standard, i1D3, i1Display 2, TED's Calibration Blu Ray Disc v1.0 & v1.1
post #550 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 AM

So currently I have my backlight turned to 16 under standard setting. It seems a little to bright in dark scenes or parts on t.v. where there are night scenes. Should I turned down the backlight to help with this? What would you recommend?
post #551 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 AM

Also I downloaded the syncPlus app recently from the samsung app store and I turned it on and checked agree to the policy statement agreement and when I went to see if it was to work when I watched a t.v. show or commercial it did not. Is anyone else having this problem?
post #552 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

That doesn't tell me how to "unlock" the advanced feature inside the service menu. I can get into the service menu but the advanced area is grayed out. I'm guessing there is a 4 digit code that has to be entered. Anyone know it?
post #553 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 AM

I got the 50" but I just haven't found the settings I like yet. I've never had to fiddle so much with a TV. Like someone else on here said, I feel like I'm convincing myself that it's good. Standard is vivid, but SO saturated and garish; Movie is sharper and the colors are more accurate, but the picture is so dull (I have it in Standard for now, with lcdbuyingguide settings, a bit tweaked). I'm looking for a middleground, but haven't found it yet. I feel like I have to change the settings every time I watch something different. BluRays looks decent. But in general, the TV just doesn't feel as...sharp or crisp as I want it to. What's the trick? Could it be my HDMI cables? Cable box? The loss in quality when viewed at an angle doesn't help things, although it's not as bad in Movie mode.
I watch a lot of anime on BluRay and DVD, and for whatever reason, 2D animation is the only things that looks absolutely perfect on this TV. When I watch anime, it's the only time I'm perfectly happy with the picture quality.

There's also the CE dimming, which I don't like, but have more or less gotten used to. However, it's like a strobe light if you're playing videogames, where the lighting can switch from second to second.

I've been considering returning this TV, but the only problem is I got it on Black Friday from Amazon, so I'd have to get a TV for way more than I intended to spend. So...someone convince me on this TV. I want to like it and don't want to go to the hassle of getting a new one). Maybe there's something I haven't tried adjusting.
post #554 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 AM

I am in the same boat as you man. I like Standard's settings better then movies because it is more vibrant where movie settings are more dull. Also viewing this TV from the sides is like watching something with a haze the whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazengann View Post

I got the 50" but I just haven't found the settings I like yet. I've never had to fiddle so much with a TV. Like someone else on here said, I feel like I'm convincing myself that it's good. Standard is vivid, but SO saturated and garish; Movie is sharper and the colors are more accurate, but the picture is so dull (I have it in Standard for now, with lcdbuyingguide settings, a bit tweaked). I'm looking for a middleground, but haven't found it yet. I feel like I have to change the settings every time I watch something different. BluRays looks decent. But in general, the TV just doesn't feel as...sharp or crisp as I want it to. What's the trick? Could it be my HDMI cables? Cable box? The loss in quality when viewed at an angle doesn't help things, although it's not as bad in Movie mode.
I watch a lot of anime on BluRay and DVD, and for whatever reason, 2D animation is the only things that looks absolutely perfect on this TV. When I watch anime, it's the only time I'm perfectly happy with the picture quality.
There's also the CE dimming, which I don't like, but have more or less gotten used to. However, it's like a strobe light if you're playing videogames, where the lighting can switch from second to second.
I've been considering returning this TV, but the only problem is I got it on Black Friday from Amazon, so I'd have to get a TV for way more than I intended to spend. So...someone convince me on this TV. I want to like it and don't want to go to the hassle of getting a new one). Maybe there's something I haven't tried adjusting.
post #555 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 02:36 PM

How do I get into the service menu???
post #556 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazengann View Post

I don't know if I can convince you or not that you've bought a very good set, but I can tell you this. I've had the 60" version of this TV since August and my wife and I are extremely pleased with our purchase. I had looked at many, many sets from different manufacturers for a long time including LED's and Plasma's, waiting for the day when I would need to replace my 11 year old wide screen HDTV rear projection set. I saw this set at my brother's this past summer and after watching various movies, TV shows and sports was hooked on it. Why? Because I was impressed at the black levels this set has, which I felt rivaled some excellent plasma sets I've seen. The thing is, my great room has a lot of light (large windows and transom windows) and a plasma set wouldn't work for us during daylight hours without shutting blinds and curtains. My brother's living room also has a lot of light and this TV was impressive from the first time I saw it, and I studied it closely while we were there.

We bought this set not long after our visit and I am still thrilled with my purchase. The main key is setting it up properly for your room. I played with settings a lot and tried various things but eventually settled on what looked best all of the time, both day and night. I'm pretty picky about my TV picture (as most people are who frequent this forum or you wouldn't be here), but what looks great to me might not please someone else - we all know what we like, right? So, I'll list my basic settings, you can try them for yourself and see if they work for you. If not, tweak them a bit to your liking, and if that doesn't work, well you might want to get yourself something else.

These settings are similar to others posted earlier in this thread, but the key is the backlight setting. At my setting of 10 I have no ghosting or clouding issues: just good black levels all the time. Get this right for your room first, then adjust your other settings to your liking.

Standard Mode
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 50
Color: 33
Tint: G51
HDMI Black level: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Black Tone: Dark
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only: Off
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: +1
ColorTone: Warm 1
DNF: Auto
MPEG: Auto
Film mode: Off
Auto Motion: Clear
LED Motion: Off

In addition, I have left White Balance settings at Default. Also, in ECO solution, I use Energy savings Off and ECO settings on at a setting of 5. I've played with and tried the Auto Motion settings, but am ambivalent about the soap opera effect. I finally settled on the Clear setting.

These settings work great for us on this set on anything we watch: Blu-Rays, HD programs from our cable box, sports, you name it. As I've said, we are very happy with this set. There is not a day goes by when we're watching this set that I don't think to myself I'm glad I bought this TV; it's that good. Hope this helps you a bit; if you can't adjust it to your liking then you may want to get something else.

Ken
post #557 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 03:29 PM

I'd like to switch the HDMI black level for my HD satellite input to low from normal but I can't select the option. It's greyed out on normal. I can set the HDMI black level to low on my Xbox360, for example, so why wouldn't I be able to on my HD satellite input?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. smile.gif
post #558 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRHDTV View Post

I don't know if I can convince you or not that you've bought a very good set, but I can tell you this. I've had the 60" version of this TV since August and my wife and I are extremely pleased with our purchase. I had looked at many, many sets from different manufacturers for a long time including LED's and Plasma's, waiting for the day when I would need to replace my 11 year old wide screen HDTV rear projection set. I saw this set at my brother's this past summer and after watching various movies, TV shows and sports was hooked on it. Why? Because I was impressed at the black levels this set has, which I felt rivaled some excellent plasma sets I've seen. The thing is, my great room has a lot of light (large windows and transom windows) and a plasma set wouldn't work for us during daylight hours without shutting blinds and curtains. My brother's living room also has a lot of light and this TV was impressive from the first time I saw it, and I studied it closely while we were there.

We bought this set not long after our visit and I am still thrilled with my purchase. The main key is setting it up properly for your room. I played with settings a lot and tried various things but eventually settled on what looked best all of the time, both day and night. I'm pretty picky about my TV picture (as most people are who frequent this forum or you wouldn't be here), but what looks great to me might not please someone else - we all know what we like, right? So, I'll list my basic settings, you can try them for yourself and see if they work for you. If not, tweak them a bit to your liking, and if that doesn't work, well you might want to get yourself something else.

These settings are similar to others posted earlier in this thread, but the key is the backlight setting. At my setting of 10 I have no ghosting or clouding issues: just good black levels all the time. Get this right for your room first, then adjust your other settings to your liking.

Standard Mode
Backlight: 10
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 50
Color: 33
Tint: G51
HDMI Black level: Low
Dynamic Contrast: Low
Black Tone: Dark
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only: Off
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: +1
ColorTone: Warm 1
DNF: Auto
MPEG: Auto
Film mode: Off
Auto Motion: Clear
LED Motion: Off

In addition, I have left White Balance settings at Default. Also, in ECO solution, I use Energy savings Off and ECO settings on at a setting of 5. I've played with and tried the Auto Motion settings, but am ambivalent about the soap opera effect. I finally settled on the Clear setting.

These settings work great for us on this set on anything we watch: Blu-Rays, HD programs from our cable box, sports, you name it. As I've said, we are very happy with this set. There is not a day goes by when we're watching this set that I don't think to myself I'm glad I bought this TV; it's that good. Hope this helps you a bit; if you can't adjust it to your liking then you may want to get something else.

I will try these settings and see what I think. My main issue is the cloudiness from
Viewing TV from the side. Also I I like looking at colors that pop but currently have color set to 50 and I feel like colors are now to saturated and bright especially the reds.
post #559 of 872 Old 01-09-2013, 09:52 PM

Btw my question still has not been answered but how do you get SyncPlus App to work? I have it checked to on and have agreed to everything but still nothing. Is there a certain trick to get it to work?
post #560 of 872 Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

I set my Movie mode to the settings that LCDTVBUYINGGUIDE specified when the reviewer gave it such high marks. Looks great in a dark room, but rather washed out. So I used Standard and set it to match as closely as I could w/o the 10pt white balance option. Then tweaked a tiny bit to taste.

I noticed that in order to adjust HDMI BLACK LEVEL i had to output RGB, not YCbCr (4:2:2 or 4:4:4) which most everyone claims is better for a BD player's output. On a hunch that feeding the tv RGB gives it less to do, converting and such, I've gone back to the Panasonic BDT215's rgb out. Deep color is AUTO, which Panasonic recommended. Black level control is "Darker." I widh I knew WTF Panasonic means with these settings; the manual ssys nothing useful.

My Standard is a little brighter than Movie, to complement a well lit room.

BACKLIGHT 13
CONTRAST 95
BRIGHTNESS 43
SHARPNESS 10
COLOR 35
TINT G50/R50
DYNAMIC CONTRAST OFF
BLACK TONE OFF or DARKER
FLESH TONE 0
COLOR SPACE AUTO
WHITE BALANCE 25-25-28-18-23-21
GAMMA +1
MOTION LIGHTING OFF
COLOR TONE WARM2
DIGITAL NOISE FILTER, MPEG NOISE FILTER OFF
HDMI BLACK LEVEL LOW
AUTO MOTION PLUS, LED MOTION PLUS OFF

Whether I use Movie or Standard really depends on the movie, and room lighting.

BDs I've "tested" settings with:
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
BULLITT
RATATOUILLE
BATMAN BEGINS
CASABLANCA

// Sent from a mobile. Misspellings happen. //

So how do I change the HDMI black level from Normal to Low while watching Dish Network t.v. I have a 722K HD receiver. It is greyed out to me when I try to change it. Also do you use these settings while watching t.v. and if you play video games?
post #561 of 872 Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:

So how do I change the HDMI black level from Normal to Low while watching Dish Network t.v. I have a 722K HD receiver. It is greyed out to me when I try to change it. Also do you use these settings while watching t.v. and if you play video games?
From what I understand the HDMI black level setting is dependent on the components hooked up to the TV; your Dish receiver may not "sync up" or work with the set. Check for an HDMI black level setting in your Dish receiver menu, if there is one. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about this setting.
As for your color setting, 50 is way too high and that's why it looks oversaturated. Turn it down and give it a day or two; something in the mid 30's is going to look more natural and with the contrast this TV has you'll still have plenty of "pop" on standard mode. smile.gif

Ken
post #562 of 872 Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 PM

I've got a UN40ES6100. Firmware is the latest, 1025.

I have my time set to "auto" and my time zone set to central, which is where I'm located. When I press info, the time displayed in the upper right is an hour ahead of my time. Anybody else have this issue?

I can "fix" it by changing my time zone but that's not a real solution.

Where does the time actually come from?

Thanks.
post #563 of 872 Old 01-10-2013, 07:59 PM

KRH-Lowering the backlight helps, though 10 is a but low for me. But some colors still feel a bit saturated. Although it really depends on the program, or maybe the quality it's being broadcast at. Actual HD shows look great (Downton Abbey aired in HD and looked amazing on the TV in standard). But some other shows don't look as good. I think the cable box itself probably has something to do with the quality, too.

I think I'm gonna try fiddling with Movie to make it brighter. Any tips, anyone? I've boosted the color on Movie to 65 (might go a bit more) and it looks good with Gamma +1 (I also might go a bit higher with that).
post #564 of 872 Old 01-10-2013, 09:34 PM

Liked: 17
I think it comes from the latest HDTV channel you watched.
post #565 of 872 Old 01-10-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRHDTV View Post

From what I understand the HDMI black level setting is dependent on the components hooked up to the TV; your Dish receiver may not "sync up" or work with the set. Check for an HDMI black level setting in your Dish receiver menu, if there is one. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about this setting.
As for your color setting, 50 is way too high and that's why it looks oversaturated. Turn it down and give it a day or two; something in the mid 30's is going to look more natural and with the contrast this TV has you'll still have plenty of "pop" on standard mode. smile.gif

So far I am enjoying the color level at 35, I have the back light at 13, brightness at 43, contrast at 95, and sharpness at 10. My only complaint is and I know this has been brought up is that during dark scenes they can be really dark now. Is that because I have the backlight turned to 13? Or is it the dreaded dimmer feature that comes with standard setting? Also when I am playing Xbox 360 I like the colors to be brighter so currently have it set to 50 for color but is there a perfect color level for when playing video games?
post #566 of 872 Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:

So far I am enjoying the color level at 35, I have the back light at 13, brightness at 43, contrast at 95, and sharpness at 10. My only complaint is and I know this has been brought up is that during dark scenes they can be really dark now. Is that because I have the backlight turned to 13? Or is it the dreaded dimmer feature that comes with standard setting? Also when I am playing Xbox 360 I like the colors to be brighter so currently have it set to 50 for color but is there a perfect color level for when playing video games?

Looks like you're getting to a picture quality that pleases you. smile.gif Each input to your TV has it's own settings; so when you're playing your Xbox games adjust your color level to please you and you'll be all set. I don't have a game system hooked up to my TV so I can't advise you on that, but just play with your color level to what looks good for your games and leave it at that. Your settings for your cable box/bd player will stay at whatever you've set up for them. Hope all this has helped you a little bit and you're beginning to enjoy your set!

Ken
post #567 of 872 Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM

Well, aside from the brutal cloudiness I'm actually enjoying this tv. Watching HD sports & shows is terrific, as well as gaming. It's really just the times within a show or movie where the screen will be mainly dark that I cringe as there's cloudy spots everywhere. Aside from that, solid tv. Also, I'm at 8 currently for a backlight setting, which is too low really but it helps with the cloudy issue.
post #568 of 872 Old 01-12-2013, 02:00 AM

Okay so on my third attempt to get the SyncPlus App to work it still doesn't do anything. I have updated and tried re-installing and it still has not done a dang thing for me. I have it turned on and have agreed to all the terms and agreements by samsung and yahoo.com. Now how do I start using it? When I go to the broadcaster tab it doesn't show any content. I have dish network as my provider and I am connected to it through HDMI cord.
post #569 of 872 Old 01-12-2013, 02:50 AM

Also Is there a good setting to have the motion blur reduction and judder redduction setting at besides off? My wife loves the soap opera effect but I hate when artifacts show up and sometimes when watching football I can see blurring and artifacts around the helmets when the players are in motion.
post #570 of 872 Old 01-12-2013, 07:38 PM

@Djrmc - That sync plus program never worked for me.

I have DirectTV, blur -8 dejutter -3.

I feel that the motion on this TV is inferior to my other TV UN46B6000.

Idk, anybody else have an issue with the motion quality of this tv?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un60es6100 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page