Official Samsung UNXXES6100 Thread - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #871 of 884 Old 10-03-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
I've had to connect my Yamaha DVD-S550 DVD player to my TV as my Yamaha RX-V775 amp won't upscale the 480P output. This has reminded me once again that the Picture options and calibrations (e.g. White Balance, 10 pt white balance in Movie) have to be reset for each and every input (including Smart Apps). Has anyone found a way around this? If the TV loses its settings, that's about 3-4 times I have to set up calibration points. TIA!
I've learned from a friend that if you "rename" the input souces (SOURCES | TOOLS | EDIT NAME), some of the "names" (e.g. PC) will limit some of the picture options under MENU, and reconfigure the display with optimized settings for that type of input. E.g. connect a laptop DP or HDMI out to HDMI, then "rename" the input source from "---" or "AV Receiver" to "PC," and many of the picture options will change. Changing back to the previous "name" seems to restore picture settings you had configured previously.

For those having issues with Dolby Digital audio streams (PCM) from HDMI ARC or SPDIF optical out, I've gotten confirmation from Netflix support that their Smart Hub app has a known problem with drop outs in audio. My Yamaha RXV775 receiver identifies the audio streams a Dolby Digital when in fact it's Dolby Digital+. Audio streams from the Netflix apps on my Chromecast and Panasonic BDT210 are identified correctly by the amp as DD+. Netflix is allegedly working on a fit to their app.

“What a funny, dirty little mind you have.”
A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 884 Old 12-31-2014, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question New Firmware?

Just downloaded the latest firmware, 2002.3, I believe. Any idea what enhancements it provides? Can't find out anything specific from Samsung website.

Thanks
post #873 of 884 Old 01-05-2015, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Mfg. View Post
Just downloaded the latest firmware, 2002.3, I believe. Any idea what enhancements it provides? Can't find out anything specific from Samsung website.

Thanks
Click on the ? next to the download link.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #874 of 884 Old 12-17-2015, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Hi I'm looking for any recent calibration settings with this UN46ES6100, my parents have it and I've just updated the FW to 2004.0

Cheers
post #875 of 884 Old 12-18-2015, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post
Hi I'm looking for any recent calibration settings with this UN46ES6100, my parents have it and I've just updated the FW to 2004.0

Cheers
I use these: http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/...esettings.html

Adjust the backlight to suit your preference.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #876 of 884 Old 12-18-2015, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zone555 View Post

Thank you!
post #877 of 884 Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Official Samsung UNXXES6100 Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueimage View Post

Cheers

Quote:

Then, download and burn the AVS HD calibration disc and manual, and tweak it to perfection. Why? Factory units vary to such a degree that one unit's calibration values may not be accurate for another. My tv's settings after the test disc differed from that site's otherwise good suggestion.

A: Yamaha RX-V775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.

post #878 of 884 Old 12-18-2015, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Then, download and burn the AVS HD calibration disc and manual, and tweak it to perfection. Why? Factory units vary to such a degree that one unit's calibration values may not be accurate for another. My tv's settings after the test disc differed from that site's otherwise good suggestion.
Good points raised. Samsung is notorious for using several panel vendors for their low-mid range TVs, so the recommended settings may be slightly off even with the same model number. Are you referring to this calibration disc? AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
post #879 of 884 Old 12-19-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
PERFECT color for gaming on your ES6100, details below.

I'm a gamer and as some people have said, renaming the input to "PC" gives the kind of 9500k picture that you want from a gaming console or PC. If you have this TV and havent' tried gaming on the "PC" renamed mode, you're missing out. It's awesome. To enable "PC" mode, press the Source button on the remote, then tools, Edit Name, and select "PC." Voila! Perfect, 9500k gaming color on a 720p+ signal.

However, this only works for signals that are resolutions of 720p and up. Renaming an input to "PC" when a 480p or lower signal is connected does nothing.

With that said, I recently hooked up my Wii so that I could play some Nintendo Gamecube games. However, the Wii only outputs a 480p signal max. So when it comes to trying to get the color correct on a game console and renaming to "PC" is not an option, this TV is a tried and true PAIN IN THE ASS.

So how do you do it? How can you get the equivalent of "PC" color on a signal lower than 720p? There are a few tricks.

>The first trick is to use Picture Mode: Movie. Why? Because Samsung has a well-documented, terrible backlight dimming feature turned on in every mode other than "PC" and Movie. It cannot be turned off. So you should never use this TV setting other than these two. Since "PC" mode doesn't work for the Wii, movie it is.

>The next trick is to change the Flesh Tone setting in the Advanced menu to -15. Samsung is dumb again here, as the default flesh tone setting is 0. But this doesn't mean that the Flesh Tone is off, no no. You have to set it to -15 in order to turn it off completely. You absolutely CANNOT get good color for gaming on this TV without turning the flesh tone down to -15.

>And the final and most insanely stupid trick is to change the color space to Custom. This shouldn't be "insanely stupid" but it is for the following reason: You have to change the color space to Custom by opening the color space drop down and cycling to Custom by pressing UP on the remote when Auto is highlighted. If you go from Native DOWN to Custom, IT WON'T WORK. The picture doesn't change at all if you go down to Custom through Native, but it is PERFECT if you go UP through Auto to Custom. Seriously. It is a bug in the software.

Correct Way --> ^ Auto
..........................Native
..........................Custom

To summarize, if you follow my instructions precisely, you can achieve approximately 9500k color temperature (ideal for gaming) on a 480p or lower source on this TV. However, you have to first set the Picture Mode to Movie, then set the Flesh Tone to -15, and finally change the color space to Custom by passing UP through Auto. Changing it to Custom by going down through Native DOES NOT WORK.

I'll post my other settings for my gaming mode below just as an FYI, but the above stuff took me damn near forever to figure out, so I hope it helps at least one other super color-picky person out there. Keep in mind, these are the settings that I use specifically for game consoles that only output signals at 480p or below. For HD signals, the color setting would be 50 on "PC" mode as well as a few other changes.

Picture Mode: Movie
Contrast: 84
Brightness: 55
Sharpness: 0
Color: 39
Tint: 50/50

Advanced Settings
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: -15
Color Space: Custom (press up through Auto, do not go down through Native!)
White Balance: Default
10p White Balance: Off
Gamma: 0

Picture Options:
Color Tone: Standard
DNF: Off
MPEG NF: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
LED Motion Plus: Off

Last edited by ultimateman; 12-19-2015 at 08:48 AM.
post #880 of 884 Old 12-20-2015, 03:31 PM

By the way, has anyone figured a way to have both a composite and a component source hooked up to this TV?
post #881 of 884 Old 12-21-2015, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateman View Post
By the way, has anyone figured a way to have both a composite and a component source hooked up to this TV?
The component and composite outputs share the same connector so it's either one or the other. But you could get a component or composite to HDMI converter http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_...&cs_id=1011406 and connect it to an HDMI input on the TV.
post #882 of 884 Old 12-21-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good points raised. Samsung is notorious for using several panel vendors for their low-mid range TVs, so the recommended settings may be slightly off even with the same model number. Are you referring to this calibration disc? AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
Yep. I think. Tapatalk opens some links incorrectly.

AVS HD 709 - Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
http://www.avsforum.com/showthread.php?t=948496

post #883 of 884 Old 12-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post
The component and composite outputs share the same connector so it's either one or the other. But you could get a component or composite to HDMI converter and connect it to an HDMI input on the TV.
Yeah I have a component to HDMI converter and I've been using it to connect one component source to an HDMI in. However, my goal was to have 2 component and 1 composite hooked up simultaneously, thus leaving me apparently one input short. But then I dug an old component switch box from the closet, hooked up both component sources to the switch box and hooked up the switch box out to the HDMI converter, with the composite (my modified NES Toploader) going to the TV. So I'm good now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un60es6100 60 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv Black , Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55d6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page