Choosing the right 46" LCD-LED TV - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Choosing the right 46" LCD-LED TV
pat_trick's Avatar pat_trick 04:38 PM 04-08-2012
I'm currently on the hunt for a new LCD-LED TV, mostly due to the supposedly longer life on the backlight, and more even lighting for the overall picture. After researching for a while, as well as negotiating with the girlfriend, we've settled on a 46" model, which will work good for our viewing space. Optimal would be 55" by the viewing distance we're using, but she doesn't like having to "move [her] eyes around to see the whole screen".

I'll be hooking up my little Asus R3700 Nettop running XBMC via HDMI to it for a media center, so I would prefer an set that does NOT have "smart" capabilities, as it would be entirely redundant. All media streamed will be from archived Blu-Ray discs on my NAS at home at 1080p, or will be other things like Netflix, Youtube, Hulu, etc. We won't be watching any 3D movies, as neither of us are able to view them correctly. It may also be used to play PC games occasionally at 1080p.

I will also be hooking up my Wii up to it for some gaming via Component input. I might also eventually get a PS3 or XBOX360, so more ports to hook these up is good. I also have a SNES and N64 that have S-VIDEO plugs; I've looked and haven't been able to find mention of S-VIDEO inputs on any of the TVs I've looked at so far. Has this port gone the way of the dodo? If so, I can live with Composite.

We've been eying the Samsung UN46EH6000, but I'm a little dubious due to the severe lack of ports (2 HDMI, 1 Component, 1 Composite). I'd like to have at least 3 HDMI if at all possible. But at the price point and feature set for this model seems to be a good starting point. I'd love recommendations on other brands as well. My price range tops out at $1300.

In short:

LCD-LED 46"
Do NOT want "smart" TV features
Do NOT want 3D capability
Will be used for 1080p movies, streaming video, 480p/1080p gaming
At least 3 HDMI, can live with 2
At least 2 Component, can live with 1
Would prefer S-VIDEO in, can live without
Will NOT be wall mounted
Under $1300
Currently considering the Samsung UN46EH6000

Thank you for any recommendations!

bhstone's Avatar bhstone 03:58 PM 04-18-2012
I have pretty similar interests in a new HDTV and am curious what people recommend.
AnnaJune's Avatar AnnaJune 11:57 PM 04-25-2012
Yes, I would love some input on this model or something similar. I am looking for basically the same thing as the OP.
Steve S's Avatar Steve S 12:33 PM 04-26-2012
The EH6000 is a "direct-lit" led. This is a new cheaper way of making led sets that involves fewer leds than an edge-lit set, arranged behind the screen with a fairly thick diffuser. This should give more even illumination than an edge lit set (avoid those if you are fussy about flashlighting/clouding).

Problem is that it has only 2 HDMI ports and a single component input that does double duty as composite (when connecting composite you plug the yellow video cable into the green component jack). No S video, but those are a thing of the past.

My recommendation would be to find an LN46D630. This model has 4 HDMIs and two Component/composite jacks. It is CCFL which will also give the most even illumination possible. As for the projected life of the backlighting CCFL is generally rated at 60,000 hrs, LED at 80-100. Keep in mind that the only difference between "led" and "lcd" set is the method of lighting up the screen.

BUT--if a set is left on 12 hours a day for an entire year it only accumulates around 4000 hrs so this difference is negligible.

The D630 should still be available and at closeout pricing, has superior connectivity, equal (probably better) pq. It's styling with relatively fat bezel isn't as fashionable but it represents excellent value in a basic featured tv.
badvideo's Avatar badvideo 12:43 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

The EH6000 is a "direct-lit" led. This is a new cheaper way of making led sets that involves fewer leds than an edge-lit set, arranged behind the screen with a fairly thick diffuser. This should give more even illumination than an edge lit set (avoid those if you are fussy about flashlighting/clouding).

Problem is that it has only 2 HDMI ports and a single component input that does double duty as composite (when connecting composite you plug the yellow video cable into the green component jack). No S video, but those are a thing of the past.

My recommendation would be to find an LN46D630. This model has 4 HDMIs and two Component/composite jacks. It is CCFL which will also give the most even illumination possible. As for the projected life of the backlighting CCFL is generally rated at 60,000 hrs, LED at 80-100. Keep in mind that the only difference between "led" and "lcd" set is the method of lighting up the screen.

BUT--if a set is left on 12 hours a day for an entire year it only accumulates around 4000 hrs so this difference is negligible.

The D630 should still be available and at closeout pricing, has superior connectivity, equal (probably better) pq. It's styling with relatively fat bezel isn't as fashionable but it represents excellent value in a basic featured tv.

I coundn't agree more. Check BB for closeouts on the 46 inch D630 at a nice deal.
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 01:48 PM 04-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by badvideo View Post

I coundn't agree more. Check BB for closeouts on the 46 inch D630 at a nice deal.

good advice, pick one of these up while they are still available

I don't think Samsung will release any CCFL models this year
thiao's Avatar thiao 05:52 AM 04-27-2012
Appartantly, they have released a 2012 'E' series, LCD/CCFL model.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+...&skuId=4839001
Steve S's Avatar Steve S 01:08 PM 04-27-2012
^^^That's a 60hz set, the D630 is 120hz. It also has the same limited connectivity as the EH5/6000 models-2 HDMI and only 1 component/composite.
surma884's Avatar surma884 06:40 PM 04-27-2012
The EH5300 has 3 HMDI ports. It has the SMART TV features, but it is almost the same price as the EH5000 which has 2 HMDI and NO SMART TV features. Not sure they the price is almost the same as the 5000.
Danediz's Avatar Danediz 07:22 PM 04-27-2012
I second the idea on the CCFL LCD. Samsung's edge lit sets are very flaky. Great picture but drawbacks.

I owned the LN46D630 and it was great, especially since you do not care about smart tv. If you cannot find it, I would go for the Samsung 46ES6100 or the Sony KDL-46EX640, both are 1199 under your price range.
AnnaJune's Avatar AnnaJune 03:28 PM 04-28-2012
[quote=Steve S;21958655)... the D630 is 120hz.[/QUOTE]

Are you certain? Everywhere I look I see that this model is 120Hz "Clear Motion Rate" but is it actually a 60Hz TV? It is advertised inconsistently, and Samsung's website only lists the CMR number, not native refresh. First, how can I find out for sure if it is really 120Hz refresh? And second, if it is only 120hz with image interpolation, does that introduce the "soap opera effect"?
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar PlasmaPZ80U 03:31 PM 04-28-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJune View Post

Are you certain? Everywhere I look I see that this model is 120Hz "Clear Motion Rate" but is it actually a 60Hz TV? It is advertised inconsistently, and Samsung's website only lists the CMR number, not native refresh. First, how can I find out for sure if it is really 120Hz refresh? And second, if it is only 120hz with image interpolation, does that introduce the "soap opera effect"?

it is 120Hz and that is via frame interpolation; no current LCD or LED-LCD will take a 120Hz input signal, only 24Hz or 60Hz
Zerodust23's Avatar Zerodust23 09:08 AM 05-21-2012
Did anyone buy this set yet?I currently own the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 and I love it.I'm searching for a second set for another room in my house.The past year or so I been through 5 LED TV's,clouding and flashlighting on every one.I tried 3.LG- 55LM6700 2-Samsung 8000.If anyone can let me know how the uniformity on this set is it would be greatly appreciated!!
Zerodust23's Avatar Zerodust23 09:25 AM 05-21-2012
Also anyone know how the input lag on this TV is.I'm looking to buy it primarily for gaming.
atom5's Avatar atom5 10:38 AM 05-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodust23 View Post

Did anyone buy this set yet?I currently own the Panasonic TC-P55ST50 and I love it.I'm searching for a second set for another room in my house.The past year or so I been through 5 LED TV's,clouding and flashlighting on every one.I tried 3.LG- 55LM6700 2-Samsung 8000.If anyone can let me know how the uniformity on this set is it would be greatly appreciated!!

What about this suggestion for xtra hdmi hookups? How about buying a hdmi I think it would be called switcher. You can find these at amazon. I think you can get one with 3 inputs and one output. You can get them cheaply.Thus this will give you additional hookups if you want the 46eh6000 instead of the d630. Just a thought. If connections are the think you are after.
Up
Mobile  Desktop