Quick poll- would you take a new Vizio TV or cash? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 04-11-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

See my thread "Issues with latest Vizio firmware" for the complete story, but thought I'd get more responses just posting this question: Long story short is that my Vizio XVT553SV has problems, and the warranty company has offered me either a reconditioned Vizio XVT3D554SV which is the same TV with passive 3D, OR about $1200 with which I would probably buy Sharp's 60-inch 3D LCD. Main reservation about the Vizio is that it may have the same problem my other set did and dealing with Vizio has been rather painful, main reservation about the Sharp is that I'd have to pay a few hundred more dollars for it, and it's edge-lit so the black levels may not be as good- and I'm not completely satisfied with the black levels on the Vizio (I can't use its smart-dimming feature because I don't like how it cuts the backlight completely when the scene fades to black, and the haloing is a bit annoying too.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
You don't like the Vizio for numerous reasons. I think the answer has to be, take the money and get something better.
post #3 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I would take the TV. Where can you get a Full Array LED 55" for $1200? Even if you take it just to sell it for $1500.
post #4 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I DID like the Vizio I have now until this problem came up- It wasn't "perfect" but neither are the other TVs I've been looking at to replace it. The 554 has active 3D too, which is a plus- I checked out passive 3D and the halving of resolution on that is unacceptable.

I posted this question on Vizio's Facebook page though yesterday, asking them to give me a reason to stay with their TV, even saying that if they deleted my comment without responding that I would automatically choose another brand, and guess what? They DELETED it!
post #5 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Easy question... I wouldn't take a Vizio for free (unless I could turn around and sell it), so I'd take the cash.
post #6 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I would take the Ca$h too.............
post #7 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Take the cash and move on....problem solved

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #8 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far- haven't made the call yet but most likely I won't be giving Vizio another chance- mainly because I posted last night on their Facebook page asking them to give me a reason to give them another chance, saying that if they deleted my comment without saying anything I'd get another brand and guess what- they DELETED it without sending me any sort of communication! I wasn't rude or anything, but they still deleted my post, they seem to be doing that with almost everyone who posts about problems with their stuff but of course leave up posts that praise them, even if they're filled with spelling errors and the posters obviously aren't 'videophiles'.

Won't be getting the Sharp however because I played with it at Fry's and it has UNDEFEATABLE smart-dimming, and it's set so if a picture goes completely black the entire backlight goes out. The Vizios do this too, but at least you can turn that 'feature' off, but saw no way to do it with the Sharp. That effect is just too annoying. I noticed a bit of 'soap opera effect' too even with all 'enhancements' turned off. (This video shows why I hate smart-dimming the way most TVs have it programmed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXR81...PHeEbGEy2QhDdw )

Might get a Sony if I can verify that it will display PAL sources (ability to display PAL was one of my main reasons for choosing a Vizio in the first place) and of course not force any phony 'enhancements' on the picture. I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Sony as some of their stuff was just plain junk but have had a few things from them that worked well (their 'customer service' is awful, possibly worse than Vizio's as at least most of theirs are courteous if unknowledgable). Never had one of their TVs before.
post #9 of 13 Old 04-12-2012, 02:20 PM

take the cash!
post #10 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Just called and asked for the cash- check will be coming in a week or so, and they will NOT be taking back the Vizio TV so I will probably give it to my parents or sell it for a low-enough price to someone who wouldn't be bothered by this problem.

Might give myself more time to decide on what TV to get next, as each one I've been considering has its own flaws. I need active 3D, PAL compatibility, and smart dimming that can either be disabled or does not cut the entire backlight during black portions. Would get the 60-inch Sharp but it seems to have undefeatable dimming, the LG looked nice too but it uses passive 3D which halves the resolution and makes things look like a CRT. I was going to try the other 3D Vizio out as I may have been happy with that one, but seeing others have reported the frame rate problem with that as well and Vizio's generally pathetic service regarding this whole thing I had to pass on it.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Cash . Money talks BS walks ..................

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #12 of 13 Old 04-13-2012, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
what warranty company are you using ??
is that what you paid for the set ???? the cash-out they offered ?

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #13 of 13 Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

The warranty seemed a bit fishy on this- when I got a sales pitch in the mail for it before the regular 1-year warranty was about to run out, it was mailed from Vizio and I thought they were warranting the TV themselves. When I needed warranty service I was told to call "The Warranty Group" instead of Vizio. Looking them up it looks like they cover appliances too, but calling their number they answer it as "Vizio Warranty service" so it's still confusing as to whether they're a part of Vizio or not. There was negotiating back and forth from people at The Warranty Group and Vizio from what I heard. Most of the phone reps at The Warranty Group were pretty rude except for the guy who called me saying they were going to cover it.

I'm only getting $1400 which is a few hundred less than what I originally paid, but getting to keep the TV makes that hurt a little less as I can probably get around $500 for it from somebody. I will probably try to sell that worthless Vizio Blu-Ray player along with it- it was a "gift" from doing the VIP program, already a discontinued model when I got it and it isn't able to output multichannel PCM sound so it's useless to me.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page