samsung d8000 stuck pixel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
logan456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I really love the picture quality on this TV it is great, but unfortunately when watching anything with a white background I noticed a stuck pixel. The weird thing is there is a white glow around the pixel that I noticed to when the screen pans from left to right, I mainly notice it watching hockey and baseball. I have only had the tv two weeks and wondering if I should return it or just live with it. I am not even sure if Best Buy is going to have any tvs to swap it out with since the d8000 is near the end of its run. I wonder if maybe I should spend 700 or so more and just get the es8000. Other than that the picture rocks on this TV once it is calibrated properly.
logan456 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
FBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan456 View Post

I really love the picture quality on this TV it is great, but unfortunately when watching anything with a white background I noticed a stuck pixel. The weird thing is there is a white glow around the pixel that I noticed to when the screen pans from left to right, I mainly notice it watching hockey and baseball. I have only had the tv two weeks and wondering if I should return it or just live with it. I am not even sure if Best Buy is going to have any tvs to swap it out with since the d8000 is near the end of its run. I wonder if maybe I should spend 700 or so more and just get the es8000. Other than that the picture rocks on this TV once it is calibrated properly.

I assume it's under warranty. Tell best Buy to fix it. I love my D8000 and don't think the new models are worth an extra $700.
FBlack is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
one stuck pixel is not considered a problem by Best Buy's standards or by Samsung's standards
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM
aod
Advanced Member
 
aod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: On location
Posts: 655
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

one stuck pixel is not considered a problem by Best Buy's standards or by Samsung's standards

You're right. Even the pickiest of manufacturers (apple, etc) don't consider one dead pixel a defect. I would be like the OP though. I expect quality at that price. For example, here is Apples pixel policy:

Quote:


iPad: repair or replace after 3 or more dead pixels
MacBook, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro 13″ and 15″ models: replace after 4 or more bright pixels, 6 or more dark pixels
MacBook Pro 17″, displays up to 20″: replace after 5 or more bright pixels, 7 or more dark pixels
iMac 24″ and iMac 27″, Apple Cinema Displays from 22″ to 30″: replace after 9 or more bright pixels, 11 or more dark pixels

And here is a link to most other manufacturers pixel policy.... http://www.tested.com/news/feature/a...jor-lcd-maker/

aod is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 04-12-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

You're right. Even the pickiest of manufacturers (apple, etc) don't consider one dead pixel a defect. I would be like the OP though. I expect quality at that price. For example, here is Apples pixel policy:



And here is a link to most other manufacturers pixel policy.... http://www.tested.com/news/feature/a...jor-lcd-maker/

Yeah, I mentioned that because Best Buy would not likely offer a replacement or refund for one pixel in general, especially if the set has been used for a while. However, since the TV is only two weeks old, getting a replacement might be possible (though I'd give another reason for it since they might not accept one dead pixel as a valid reason).

If it is just a stuck pixel and not a dead one, it might be possible it fix it with something like the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disc.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
InYourEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Yeah, I mentioned that because Best Buy would not likely offer a replacement or refund for one pixel in general, especially if the set has been used for a while. However, since the TV is only two weeks old, getting a replacement might be possible (though I'd give another reason for it since they might not accept one dead pixel as a valid reason).

If it is just a stuck pixel and not a dead one, it might be possible it fix it with something like the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW disc.

Actually, Best Buy does take back TVs with one stuck pixel problem for a return or exchange, as long as you are within their 30 day return policy. Just show the reps where the stuck pixel is when they test it, and they will consider this as defective. They send it back to the manufacturer for credit, and the manufacturer resells it again as refurbished without fixing the stuck pixel. I successfully returned and exchanged two TVs in the past with one stuck pixel with no problems at all.
InYourEyes is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Member
 
Gregck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Actually, Best Buy does take back TVs with one stuck pixel problem for a return or exchange, as long as you are within their 30 day return policy. Just show the reps where the stuck pixel is when they test it, and they will consider this as defective. They send it back to the manufacturer for credit, and the manufacturer resells it again as refurbished without fixing the stuck pixel. I successfully returned and exchanged two TVs in the past with one stuck pixel with no problems at all.

This is correct. When you get a refurbished set from a MFR - 99% of the time this is what happens, they rarely ever get "refurbished".

Also, OP. Take it back, now! Dead pixels are annoying. Best buy has upped their return policy recently. You don't even need to tell them it has a stuck pixel, just say you want to exchange it or return it. If they don't have one to exchange, just return it and buy one off of Amazon. Heck, Amazon even has a better return policy, better customer support and pays for all the shipping (including return shipping), and they will always be cheaper. IMO, amazon is the ONLY place to buy from.

gl
Gregck is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,055
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Actually, Best Buy does take back TVs with one stuck pixel problem for a return or exchange, as long as you are within their 30 day return policy. Just show the reps where the stuck pixel is when they test it, and they will consider this as defective. They send it back to the manufacturer for credit, and the manufacturer resells it again as refurbished without fixing the stuck pixel. I successfully returned and exchanged two TVs in the past with one stuck pixel with no problems at all.

in that case the OP should get an exchange or refund quickly before the 30 day period ends... though I'd still give another reason for the return

past the 30 day period could be an entirely different story though, extended warranty or not
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
FBlack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 638
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

Actually, Best Buy does take back TVs with one stuck pixel problem for a return or exchange, as long as you are within their 30 day return policy. Just show the reps where the stuck pixel is when they test it, and they will consider this as defective. They send it back to the manufacturer for credit, and the manufacturer resells it again as refurbished without fixing the stuck pixel. I successfully returned and exchanged two TVs in the past with one stuck pixel with no problems at all.

I was under the impression that you can return a TV to Best Buy within 30 days for any or no reason, except for abuse or damage you caused.
FBlack is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
logan456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Update: I went to best buy and they are swapping to TV out for me, they are bringing another one next Saturday.Here is hoping this one is in better condition, despite the stuck pixel the picture is great on this TV.
logan456 is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off