brand new Samsung UN40D6000 has choppy/stuttering/laggy picture. help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-15-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello all. about two months ago, i purchased a brand new samsung un40d6000 led tv after my 3-year old lcd fell victim to the capacitor problem (which i then had fixed by samsung for free - but at that point, i already went ahead and bought the new tv). when i got the new tv home, there were MANY problems right off the bat - edge lighting was WAY too bright in the corners, two thumb print-sized dead spots in the middle of the screen, terrible speakers, etc. but the most mysterious problem was that when watching certain programming, the picture would stutter a bit when there was fast paced action and/or quick camera movement. it's almost as if the tv is trying to go into automotion mode even though i turned it off. happens especially with sitcom programs, but now i notice it happening with sports, movies, and while watching frozen planet (those big, wide, panning shots are VERY laggy, as if the picture is like tripping over itself. movement is not fluid at all and it's annoying the crap out of me).

this never happened on my old lcd using the same equipment, cable box, and cables, so i brought the tv back thinking it was just a dud and they gave me another brand new one. no help - same problems as before (and this one seemed to exhibit them worse than the previous one).

called in my warranty, service tech looked at it for about 2 minutes before he decided it was a 'dead panel.' they took it away, had it for two weeks, and brought it back. when i plugged it in to try it out, NONE OF THE PROBLEMS HAD BEEN FIXED! i called the service center and was all 'wtf?!?' and the receptionist pulls up my work order and says, 'ah, yes, we did a software upgrade on your tv...' to which i replied, 'well, what about the new panel?' she said no such work had been done nor ordered. furious, i scheduled another service call with a different tech. he came by this past friday and assured me that the new panel would at least fix the dead spots but kind of said, in so many words, 'yeah, the stuttering picture is a known problem on these sets sooo, i dunno, try messing around in the menus to see if that fixes it...' great. real useful. spent $1000 on a new tv only to be told it has problems that the manufacturer knows about which make it much worse than the 3-year-old lcd tv it was replacing.

well, i've tried a bunch of different things and here's what i know ISN'T the problem:

it's not the cable box - changed the settings on it, changed the cables going to and coming from it, even upgraded to a new dvr box, no help.

it's not my cables - tried hdmi, coax, and component cables, no help. even tried them all on my other lcd tvs which worked fine.

it's not the automotion feature - i hate this feature and turn it off completely on every tv i own.

it's not my cable provider - as mentioned earlier, this NEVER happened on my old tv using all the same equipment, nor does it happen on any of my other lcd sets.

it's not up-converted programming - at first i thought maybe the tv was struggling with old standard def programs that were being converted to hd, then i noticed it was doing it with new hd shows, movies, and sports.

the only thing i haven't tried is really getting into the tv's convoluted and confusing menus to do a trial and error of different settings. i've turned a bunch of things on and off, but to be honest, i really don't know what a lot of these things do, so there's a good chance i'm just making it worse. if anyone has any optimal settings and/or has heard of this problem with this particular tv, please let me know if this is something that can be fixed or if i should just trash this thing which i am already seriously considering doing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-15-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

bump for the evening crowd!
post #3 of 18 Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimm723 View Post

try setting auto motion plus to custom mode, max out blur reduction and then set judder reduction to zero (or to taste if you prefer a smoothing effect on all motion)

also, recent samsungs (2011 models) with 120Hz or higher refresh rates do seem have known issues with motion... so what you describe motion wise is typical

you may wish to consider another brand/model if playing around with the motion settings doesn't help enough
post #4 of 18 Old 04-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:

I have a D6420 and it does the same but only with the cable box. Video game, DVD, Bluray all look great. After seeing it on my new tv I thought the same thing that it was not happening on my old tv but watching closer on my old tv's I can see the same problem, just not nearly as noticable. And only with certain shows. Like it is caused by the camera they used or the format they saved it in after editing.

The only thing that has made it tolerable for me is to keep it in game mode.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

try setting auto motion plus to custom mode, max out blur reduction and then set judder reduction to zero (or to taste if you prefer a smoothing effect on all motion)

also, recent samsungs (2011 models) with 120Hz or higher refresh rates do seem have known issues with motion... so what you describe motion wise is typical

you may wish to consider another brand/model if playing around with the motion settings doesn't help enough

this seems to work for some programs, but makes the problem on other programs much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleEyes View Post

I have a D6420 and it does the same but only with the cable box. Video game, DVD, Bluray all look great. After seeing it on my new tv I thought the same thing that it was not happening on my old tv but watching closer on my old tv's I can see the same problem, just not nearly as noticable. And only with certain shows. Like it is caused by the camera they used or the format they saved it in after editing.

The only thing that has made it tolerable for me is to keep it in game mode.

interesting theory. though i know this particular problem existed in some form on my old tv, it wasn't NEARLY as bad and was hardly even noticeable unless you were consciously paying attention and looking for it (and even then, it only happened every so often - on the new tv, it happens non-stop on some programs). where in the menus is the option for game mode? i remember seeing it at one point but can't find it now.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A random thought tho might work. Back in the older days of Samsung they often displayed the problems you describe when hooked to a cable box with HDMI.

Just to see, try some r/g/b component cables from the box to the tv and see how it looks. The signal quality won't go down as they carry 1080i, max broadcast signal.

All the other attached items always worked fine with HDMI as they are a static signal. The fluctuation of cable broadcasting caused the problems.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 View Post

A random thought tho might work. Back in the older days of Samsung they often displayed the problems you describe when hooked to a cable box with HDMI.

Just to see, try some r/g/b component cables from the box to the tv and see how it looks. The signal quality won't go down as they carry 1080i, max broadcast signal.

All the other attached items always worked fine with HDMI as they are a static signal. The fluctuation of cable broadcasting caused the problems.

as stated, i tried all the different types of cables and even a different cable box and the problem still existed. then i tried those same connectors and peripherals on other lcd's in the house (one of which is the exact same model as my old tv), no problems on any of them. it's definitely the new LED television that's the problem.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:

where in the menus is the option for game mode?

In the menu select system, then general.
post #9 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleEyes View Post

In the menu select system, then general.

wow, this has helped exponentially! i will keep an eye on the most problematic shows i've noticed it happening on when they are on, but so far, so good! thank you so much!
post #10 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

just a SLIGHT degradation in picture quality, but i can live with that more than i can the stuttering.
post #11 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Was AMC one of the problematic channels?
post #12 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

it happened on all different channels - but the programs that seemed to exhibit this phenomenon at its worst are yes dear, tyler perry's house of payne/meet the browns, friends, seinfeld, frozen planet, everybody loves raymond, and baseball games (not that i watch tyler perry shows, they just happen to display poorly on my tv lol). there are other random shows that occasionally will blip out depending on the action and/or camera movement, but again, those shows and ones like them were the worst offenders.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Jimm, you can also turn Game Mode OFF, and set auto motion plus to CLEAR. Smooth, Standard, Off and ANY combination in Custom are all broken, and will stutter/jump/lag.

"Clear" should work perfect.

This has been discussed to death in the D6000 thread.

It has never really been solved.

Either use Auto Motion Plus set to Clear (and then you don't need to use game mode) or just use game mode and deal with the lack of the Dnie chip to clean up digital tv and film.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

Jimm, you can also turn Game Mode OFF, and set auto motion plus to CLEAR. Smooth, Standard, Off and ANY combination in Custom are all broken, and will stutter/jump/lag.

Either use Auto Motion Plus set to Clear (and then you don't need to use game mode) or just use game mode and deal with the lack of the Dnie chip to clean up digital tv and film.

this works great as well, thanks! also, any quick notes on some of the other settings in the menus to optimize picture quality? like mpeg noise filter, film mode, digital noise filter, color space, motion lighting, etc? i've fiddled around with some of them, but without proper knowledge of what they do or how they work with and/or offset each other when activated, i feel i'm not pushing the tv to its full potential.
post #15 of 18 Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf4k View Post

I noticed this also. I don't get it, what's the point of having Auto Motion and Dejudder if it introduces its own Judder. Saw this on D8000 and ES8000 on blu ray HDMI 1080P feed. Same image on a Sony HX820 with Xreality turned on, motion is smooth as butter, no soap opera effect and crystal clear picture... but the colors on Sony weren't as vibrant (more natural). Throw Sony's motion engine into Sammy's panel and you got a winner!
post #16 of 18 Old 04-17-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeech10 View Post

I noticed this also. I don't get it, what's the point of having Auto Motion and Dejudder if it introduces its own Judder. Saw this on D8000 and ES8000 on blu ray HDMI 1080P feed. Same image on a Sony HX820 with Xreality turned on, motion is smooth as butter, no soap opera effect and crystal clear picture... but the colors on Sony we're as vibrant (more natural). Throw Sony's motion engine into Sammy's panel and you got a winner!

why haven't they fixed this issue yet on the new models? seems like the only way to get a samsung without this would be to get a 60hz model
post #17 of 18 Old 04-17-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

why haven't they fixed this issue yet on the new models? seems like the only way to get a samsung without this would be to get a 60hz model

seriously. after this debacle and my other samsung tv crapping out after just three years due to a known capacitor issue, i highly doubt i'll ever purchase another samsung product. at least their customer service has been good...
post #18 of 18 Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM

I had the same problem i live in the uk i bought the samsung ue40d6100 it was fine for first 2 weeks but then started stuttering horribly on xbox 360 games or hd tv even on standard tv. engineer came up said theres no problem then it started again when he left. (emailed samsung loads of times i paid 600 pounds for this tv last year and it was well withing warranty but they wouldnt pick it up. (the settings you guys suggested didnt help at all.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40d6000 40 Inch 1080p 120hz Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page