Damage to HDTV by technician - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My brand new UN55D7900 was damaged by the cable technician while installing an internet line. The inner core (conductor) hit the bottom right of the screen and chipped the glass. Now every time the screen turns dark I can see a white dot.

The cable company supervisor is trying to work with me on the problem. When the TV was hit it was barely a month old. I told them that I was looking for a brand new replacement.

Has this happened to anyone here before?

Any tips on how to handle this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Stay the course and accept nothing less than a new replacement. That stuff happens and it's nothing new so the cable company should own up and make it right. If they don't, we'll see you on Judge Judy.
post #3 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Normally when a used TV is replaced it is replacecd with "refurbishedTV" or open box unit of the same model and not with a brand new unit.
post #4 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

Normally when a used TV is replaced it is replacecd with "refurbishedTV" or open box unit of the same model and not with a brand new unit.

His set is less than a month old. I wouldn't accept anything but a new one. That would be a rip to get something refurbished or that's been used and abused in a store display.
post #5 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford View Post

The set was three weeks old when the technician hit it. It's hardly used.
post #6 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 1115
I would accept nothing less than a new unit .. and I hope you had the tech make note of the damage on the install order sheet

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #7 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
There is no way, if the stinger from a coax line hit the covering glass, that it would chip it. Most likely the damage was there before, but not noticed, until the CATV tech showed up. So, who gets blamed, the last person to touch the set.
post #8 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

There is no way, if the stinger from a coax line hit the covering glass, that it would chip it. Most likely the damage was there before, but not noticed, until the CATV tech showed up. So, who gets blamed, the last person to touch the set.

No not really. He was there when he hit it. He it hit pretty hard. The sound of the wire hitting the glass was heard loud and clear by all in the room. He apologized for it. It was an accident. A report was filed. A supervisor visited my house and took pictures of the damage already.

You're reply was unnecessary. I'm not looking for silly replies like yours. I want advice. Thank you.
post #9 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 40
They have insurance when performing work on-site, so don't settle for anything less than the full value of a new TV. Do not comprise.
post #10 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM

Are you talking about the bit that he cut off, or the actual line, with the stinger sticking out far enough? There still would not be enough force to cause a chip to come off of the glass, in that it would cause the type of damage you are stating.

Without pictures to show what you are talking about, along with the item that supposedly caused the damage, it is hard to realisticly perceive that when the stinger hit it, that there would have to be enough force. It would have had to shoot off like a bullet out of a gun, or off of a sling shot, along with being heavy enough, from a distance to cause any type of visual damage. The person would have to have been standing right against the tv holding the wire close enough within a foot, and that the dykes would have to have enough force to cause the projectile to move fast enough to chip the glass.

Again, without pictures, there is no proof to everyone else that this happened.
post #11 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Pictures for who? The OP said pictures were taken in his last post and the tech guy fessed up in front of witnesses. It doesn't matter if we here see pictures or not. If his cable carrier is honorable it will do the right thing.
post #12 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And you know this because you are psychic ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #13 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

And you know this because you are psychic ..

No, because I have worked with wire and using dykes, there is no way that a cut bit will fly fast enough to do any kind of damage from a distance, unless the person was standing right up against the set, and holding the wire within six inches or less when making the cut. Even then, there is not enough force to chip the glass. If it was plastic, not glass, yes then you can chip it or damage the anti-glare, but nothing like the OP is talking about.
post #14 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Pictures for who? The OP said pictures were taken in his last post and the tech guy fessed up in front of witnesses. It doesn't matter if we here see pictures or not. If his cable carrier is honorable it will do the right thing.

Pictures with their post. Just because they have blamed the technician and not knowing if the damage happened before moving the set, it could have happened if the OP was helping the technician and they had their tool pouch on, then yes something could have damaged the set at that point when putting it back.
post #15 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Stay the course and accept nothing less than a new replacement. That stuff happens and it's nothing new so the cable company should own up and make it right. If they don't, we'll see you on Judge Judy.

Quote:

I would accept nothing less than a new unit .. and I hope you had the tech make note of the damage on the install order sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post

They have insurance when performing work on-site, so don't settle for anything less than the full value of a new TV. Do not comprise.

Quote:

These are the replies I was looking for. Thanks guys.
post #16 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No, because I have worked with wire and using dykes, there is no way that a cut bit will fly fast enough to do any kind of damage from a distance, unless the person was standing right up against the set, and holding the wire within six inches or less when making the cut. Even then, there is not enough force to chip the glass. If it was plastic, not glass, yes then you can chip it or damage the anti-glare, but nothing like the OP is talking about.

Since the OP has agreement with his CATV provider on the damage, I guess I don't understand why calling him essentially a liar makes any sense or difference in the issue ..

He came here asking for advice .. which is in the spirit of AVS ..

Uncle Willie

post #17 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:24 AM

Liked: 11
OP: Event E happened and I'd like advice on how to handle it.
Gregzoll: I deny that event E happened.

WTF?
post #18 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gregzoll, that's a big if. The OP said that after the tech incident was when he saw the spot unless you accuse him of lying. For this to happen in the same area the tech was working on would lead me to believe the tech caused the damage somehow. I can't see the owner saying to himself, "My set is damaged in that area. I know what I'll do, I'll call a the cable company and have their tech come out and work in the area where the damage is and then he'll hit something and confess that he just made a mistake. The tech guy couldn't say anything but I'm sorry as others heard the mistake and his, oops confession. If I was a Judge, I'd side with the set owner and tell everyone else to go home and sit on a garbage can in the alley and eat crackers n cheese.
post #19 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Sheesh. Give gregroll a break. The original poster in his original post in this thread described his set getting damaged in circumstances that were hard to believe, and all gregroll did was point that out that the damage could've been caused by something else. He didn't accuse anyone of lying. Even after the original poster's explained the situtation in more detail, it's still hard to believe that the conducting wire at the centre of a CATV cable could've possibly caused the loud noise and damage he described.

It's a good thing that the cable company admits their responsibility for the damage, however it was caused. If the original poster were to take the advice of some people in this thread and take the cable company to court then their lawyers and experts could easily tear him a new one if he tried to use the explaination given here. My advice would be avoid the courts at all costs, but if it turns out to be necessary then don't hurt your case by bothering to try to explain how it happened.
post #20 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

it's still hard to believe that the conducting wire at the centre of a CATV cable could've possibly caused the loud noise and damage he described.

Not hard to believe at all, it's steel.

Quote:

Give gregroll a break.

Maybe he could take a break from posting his garbage.
post #21 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Since the OP has agreement with his CATV provider on the damage, I guess I don't understand why calling him essentially a liar makes any sense or difference in the issue ..

He came here asking for advice .. which is in the spirit of AVS ..

+1

Accept nothing less than a new in box replacment. Oh and also put gregroll on the ignore list....

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #22 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Should of bought a Sony with Gorilla Glass.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #23 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 01:04 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Should of bought a Sony with Gorilla Glass.

Just the sort of helpful advice the OP was looking for!
post #24 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked: 263
+1, accept nothing less than a brand new replacement

ignore those other replies that would try to suggest it is your fault or that a used/refurbished TV is acceptable

UN46EH6030 Calibration/Settings
Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #25 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM
EG3

Liked: 17
I was really trying to stay out of this one, but, I couldn't help it.
Since the set is an LCD, there is no glass. The screen is made of plastic layers. The outer plastic layer of the screen could easily be damaged by a metal object.
post #26 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG3 View Post

I was really trying to stay out of this one, but, I couldn't help it.
Since the set is an LCD, there is no glass. The screen is made of plastic layers. The outer plastic layer of the screen could easily be damaged by a metal object.

yes LCD panels are fragile and most sets don't have a layer of glass over the panel; that is typically only on plasma and crt sets

Display: Samsung UN46EH6030 LED-LCD TV; Audio: Yamaha HTR-3066 AVR/AMP, Sony Core Bookshelves (Sony SS-CS5) and Center (Sony SS-CS8) as fronts, Cambridge Audio S20 Bookshelves (CA S20-N) as surrounds, Dayton Audio SUB-1200 as subwoofer; Sources: PS4 (doubles as primary BD player), Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Motorola RNG150N (Cable Box)
post #27 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM

Seems a lot of folks missed the point on this one...It's the cable installer who damaged it, so Samsung is totally out of the loop. The chances of a cable company paying for anything seem slim to me (you should see the damage installers have done to my friend's houses, drilling through arts and crafts trim, open holes through stucco, etc). I wonder if there's a kit you could use to fill in the hole, reducing the odd light refraction you're seeing...maybe something to repair auto glass or lens?
post #28 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG3 View Post

No, LCD panels used in TVs use glass substrates. The outer protective layer of the TV probably made of plastic, but the panel itself is largely made of glass.
post #29 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Ridge View Post

No, LCD panels used in TVs use glass substrates. The outer protective layer of the TV probably made of plastic, but the panel itself is largely made of glass.

the surface is plastic though

post #30 of 40 Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 PM

Liked: 12
it's not like the cable company sells tvs, so they don't magically have "stock" of any tvs and it's not like they are gonna go fishing for a refurbished model. As stated earlier, cable companies have insurance for accidents like this, especially if the person who damaged your television was an employee. I say this because a lot of companies use contractors. Sounds like you will be getting a new TV, don't settle for less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page