Sony XBR65HX929 or Elite PRO-60XFD or new Panasonic TC-P65VT50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony XBR65HX929 or Elite PRO-60XFD or new Panasonic TC-P65VT50

Please Help....I have 4K in my hand ready to invest in a flat screen that will last with great value. I am looking at two LEDs (Sony XBR65HX929 and Elite PRO-60XFD) and also one Plasma (Panasonic TC-P65VT50). I will be mounting it 5' high over a mantel in my living room which has a double front door window 80' to the right and a quad set of French doors 50' to the left, so the living room will be lit. I have read that the new Panasonic TC-P65VT50 will have better brightness and contrast for well-lit rooms. The Panny VT30 was just too dim. I love the look and size of the Sony but i hear that the 3D isn't that good and it comes with no glasses. The Elite comes with two 3D glasses that can be switched from 3D to 2D but the appearance and the 60" size is less attractive than the sony. The 3D part isn't that important to me, what's impoortant to me is the color, detail, black and white levels, contrast, brightness, sharpness, and of course size. I dislike blooming, ghost images, blurring, halos, and that crazy motion stuff that's aggravating watching sports. I need your help making a good decision and I am willing to wait for the new Panasonic VT50 or should I buy one of the two other LEDs because of my living room.

Thank you for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico-Reeko View Post

Sony XBR65HX929 or Elite PRO-60XFD or new Panasonic TC-P65VT50

Please Help....I have 4K in my hand ready to invest in a flat screen that will last with great value. I am looking at two LEDs (Sony XBR65HX929 and Elite PRO-60XFD) and also one Plasma (Panasonic TC-P65VT50). I will be mounting it 5' high over a mantel in my living room which has a double front door window 80' to the right and a quad set of French doors 50' to the left, so the living room will be lit. I have read that the new Panasonic TC-P65VT50 will have better brightness and contrast for well-lit rooms. The Panny VT30 was just too dim. I love the look and size of the Sony but i hear that the 3D isn't that good and it comes with no glasses. The Elite comes with two 3D glasses that can be switched from 3D to 2D but the appearance and the 60" size is less attractive than the sony. The 3D part isn't that important to me, what's impoortant to me is the color, detail, black and white levels, contrast, brightness, sharpness, and of course size. I dislike blooming, ghost images, blurring, halos, and that crazy motion stuff that’s aggravating watching sports. I need your help making a good decision and I am willing to wait for the new Panasonic VT50 or should I buy one of the two other LEDs because of my living room.

Thank you for your response.

your sadly mistaken if you think the vt50 is going to do well during the day in that type of environment unless your controlling the ambient light. Sony 65" has banding issues, and will halo.

"invest"

investment it is not....pleasure it is.....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #3 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I need your help making a good decision and I am willing to wait for the new Panasonic VT50 or should I buy one of the two other LEDs because of my living room.

If you're willing to wait, then wait till the VT50 comes out. Then compare all three models.

What ever model you get, make sure you angle it down for a direct view. Very important with led's.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #4 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 PM

I'd get the elite. Plasma is too dim for daytime in my opinion, the blacks turn blueish gray as that's what the screen looks when it's off in daytime. Nightime is a whole different ball game and im speculating the VT50 will beat the other two you mentioned in PQ when the lights are off. The XBRs I've seen have some haloing, but you don't see it when TV is displaying normal content, things like white text on a black background such as end credits will show the effect, but normal viewing you won't see anything. If you want to get a highly acclaimed set and are planning on dropping another $300-$400 on a professional calibration, get the elite. At least you'll know you have top of the line.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-17-2012, 11:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I saw the Elite today for the first time, so take this with a grain of salt, but i don't like the pixel structure AT ALL. Very fuzzy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tory40 View Post

I saw the Elite today for the first time, so take this with a grain of salt, but i don't like the pixel structure AT ALL. Very fuzzy.

That sounds like more of a problem with the source rather than the TV. Was it playing a Blu-ray movie?
post #7 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Look into the Elite thread to learn about issues people complain there, look in to the Sony thread to find people discussing superoptimal settings. Sony has some blooming which is not visible unless you study small print at the end of movies but otherwise the PQ is 10/10, most rounded set overall. 3D is too marginal to have impact on TV selection , the same with Web browsers and apps but they are good on Sony.

irkuck
post #8 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 AM

Liked: 11
The best TV at the moment is the Elite and by a large scale. Since you have a bright room, a LED is the way to go anyway. Just between the Elite and Sony, the Elite is over 3 times the contrast ratio of the Sony using the ANSI test. The MLL levels on the Elite are the best to date as well. Plus, there are new apps available in the summer for the Elite which will add some extra value to an already great set.

Living Room: Elite Pro 70X5FD, Oppo BDP-93 Blu ray Player, and Yamaha Aventage RA-3000 A/V Receiver, Panamax M5300-PM, PS3 (60GB Fatty), XBOX 360 Elite 250GB, Nintendo Wii, XBOX HD DVD player, Logitech Harmony 1100 Remote

Bedroom: Samsung LNS4695 (First 1080P TV from Samsung) Pioneer Elite...

post #9 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by irkuck View Post

Look into the Elite thread to learn about issues people complain there, look in to the Sony thread to find people discussing superoptimal settings. Sony has some blooming which is not visible unless you study small print at the end of movies but otherwise the PQ is 10/10, most rounded set overall. 3D is too marginal to have impact on TV selection , the same with Web browsers and apps but they are good on Sony.

"Sony has some blooming which is not visible unless you study small print at the end of movies"

absolutely false info....

Habit Forming....Wallet Burning Hobby....

64" Samsung F8500 Plasma
55" Samsung B8500 Full Array Lcd
Channel Master Dvr
Onkyo 818
Crown xls-2000
Sony Blu-Ray 790
Svs Ultra Towers/Center, Energy Rc-50 Surround
Svs Pb-13 Ultra Sub
post #10 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 08:30 AM

In all honesty, get whatever looks best to you keeping in mind that you will be viewing some content in a brightly lit room. I found this out the hard way. All of the TVs you mentioned offer an amazing picture, but whichever one you like is your personal opinion. See them all, bring your own DVD/blu ray with lots of night and action scenes and ask to play with the settings. look for motion issues, contrast, how natural colors and skin tones look - these will stand out the most if there are any issues.
post #11 of 12 Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 AM

I returned the Sony to Amazon due to terrible banding. Sony should be ashamed. The picture quality on the Elite is amazing. I would recommend this display to everyone...
post #12 of 12 Old 07-16-2012, 02:12 PM

I was considering VT50 but then I learned that it might be a bit dim in the bright room (which is our living room and we do watch TV a lot in the day time) so I started considering XBR65HX929 and saw that few people reported banding issue so I was curious to know if this issue is happening only to some sets or to all of them? And if Sony does recognize it and replace your TV if you happen to get one of those?

Ideally I'd of course get Elite TV, but 60" would be to small for me and 70" model is just really overpriced IMO but it's the best TV you can buy!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Sony Bravia Xbr65hx929 65 Inch 1080p 3d Local Dimming Led Hdtv With Built In Wifi Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page