The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2352 Old 11-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I have been comparing the 40EH5000 and the 40EH5300 and my wife and I are leaning towards the 5000...picture dimming in the corners seems less, and after looking at the SmartTV features, we really don't see ourselves using them.

This thread is a great resource...I have a couple small questions:

1) I really see us using the USB media playback a lot. However, the picture settings seem limited to just choosing a mode (dynamic, movie, etc). As a test, I set the backlight to 0 on HDMI1. This setting did not carry over to the USB "input". So, basically, if I calibrate HDMI1, there's no way for me to do an equivalent calibration on the USB input?

2) Based on the recommendations in this thread, I set P Size to "Screen Fit". I then used the arrow buttons to move the image around on the screen, getting it perfectly centered on all sides (I'm using a DVR that outputs 1080i). However, I turn the TV off and then turn it back on, and the screen is back to it's original position, about 4 pixels too low. UGH. If I have to correct the screen position every time I turn the TV on, that's REALLY bad. Any advice?

Thanks all,

Chris

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2352 Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1) I wasn't very unimpressed with the USB playback. It couldn't play all my mkvs and there seemed to be a pattern that it was mostly only SD rips and older HD rips that worked. I don't think it has a well updated codec library. It's too annoying to have something EVER not just work so I now have it connected to a PC and use XBMC. TV works very well with it and even takes the message from the computer to change to 24hz when a 24p file is played with only a 1.3s delay. I don't think even their USB playback software does that but I could be wrong, gave up on it quickly.
2) If you have to change the screen position I think you got a lemon? Screen-fit seems to be Samsung's version of 1:1 pixelmapping if I understand correctly, but then again, I don't use any devices outputting interlaced picture. Maybe try titling the source PC and using 16x9? I hope there is nothing wrong with yours but maybe simply poor compatibility for an older device? I think it should just have 16x9 as an option in every mode and they have screen-fit only instead because of all the post-processing. Which may interfere with the 1080i device? Random guess though, I'm not much of an expert! Also, in old style TVs wasn't there an expectation that the edges of the picture would be cropped out past the borders of the TV? I think if you're using Screen-Fit you really are just getting what you're supposed to get and the problem is with the older device or the content you are playing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overscan
Consider the part about action safe where it shows what is expected to be cropped out. I know when I play old SD files, I sometimes see funny lines around the top and bottom rows of pixels.

Thanks about the Game settings Chicolom. Only thing I ended up changing (which I'm sure you did as well and just didn't think about it in saying to use the same as standard) was keeping Sharpness at 50. It can go a bit lower but at 1-10 it makes things quite fuzzy on the xbox.
post #543 of 2352 Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

1) So, basically, if I calibrate HDMI1, there's no way for me to do an equivalent calibration on the USB input?

2) Based on the recommendations in this thread, I set P Size to "Screen Fit". I then used the arrow buttons to move the image around on the screen, getting it perfectly centered on all sides (I'm using a DVR that outputs 1080i). However, I turn the TV off and then turn it back on, and the screen is back to it's original position, about 4 pixels too low. UGH. If I have to correct the screen position every time I turn the TV on, that's REALLY bad. Any advice?
Thanks all,
Chris

1) Not that I know of frown.gif

2) You could always try overscanning some with the 16:9 setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdizzle View Post

Thanks about the Game settings Chicolom. Only thing I ended up changing (which I'm sure you did as well and just didn't think about it in saying to use the same as standard) was keeping Sharpness at 50. It can go a bit lower but at 1-10 it makes things quite fuzzy on the xbox.

I keep my movie/standard/game mode sharpness all on 3. It's pretty low, but I can start to see sharpening halos appearing as I go above 10. I also sit really close though.

With PC mode I leave it at 50 because the processing is different.
post #544 of 2352 Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 AM

heh, i guess different strokes. I much prefer sharpening halo to really soft looking edges. probably just what i've gotten used to. curious, how close do you sit? i tend to sit with my eyes 6' from the screen.
post #545 of 2352 Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Let me start by saying that I think AVSForum is a fantastic resource, I appreciate the responses, and my ranting is not directed at anyone here.

I am actually impressed with the EH5000's USB playback, but for them not to provide the same video calibration settings is absolutely ridiculous. I'm a software engineer, I write code every day...it would be TRIVIAL for them to allow the USB input to be calibrated like any other input.

The screen position thing blows my mind. Again, would be VERY easy for them to store that user change. The problem with the 16:9 setting is I can't control the amount of overscan, and I shouldn't HAVE to use it. Turns out my source (which is NOT a PC, but a DTVPal OTA DVR) is outputting things in such a way that it requires me to change the screen position if I use "Screen Fit" on the Samsung. Why provide a feature and allow the user to change the position of the image and then not retain that position? Again, poor programming, plain and simple.

It's these little things that will make owning this TV less than ideal, and may cause me to return it, ultimately.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #546 of 2352 Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdizzle View Post

heh, i guess different strokes. I much prefer sharpening halo to really soft looking edges. probably just what i've gotten used to. curious, how close do you sit? i tend to sit with my eyes 6' from the screen.

I have a 40" keep it on a desk and sit 3-4 feet away. eek.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatherom View Post

It's these little things that will make owning this TV less than ideal, and may cause me to return it, ultimately.

I agree that they are easy things to implement or fix (and I wish they would fix little stuff like that in firmware updates), but I don't devalue the TV because of them.

I value the screen performance and picture quality above all else, and the rest of the extras are sort of trivial for me. I don't expect much from a TV's built in USB media player, and I see it as my job to give it a good source to begin with (whether that means hooking up a HTPC or whatever) so that the TV's job is just to be a big dumb display,
post #547 of 2352 Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfury2xx View Post

I was getting ready to buy this TV soon until I saw roguesquadron post that lion king video on youtube with all of the bad blurring. I watch A LOT of animated shows and this would be unbearable for me. Does anyone else who has this tv experienced that blurring issue, or did roguesquadron just get a bad tv?
Could someone comment on this? Would really like to know as I'm seriously considering this TV, but watch a lot of anime.
post #548 of 2352 Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyl View Post

Did anyone else's picture get royally screwed up when updating to the 1023 firmware (46EH5300)?
There's a post about it on Samsung's Q&A: http://answers.us.samsung.com/answers/7463/product/UN32EH5300F/samsung-un32eh5300f-questions-answers/questions.htm?expandquestion=1197155
Samsung recommends a factory reset. Does anyone happen to have the 1022 firmware? Also, can we actually revert to an older firmware if doing it over USB?

FYI, everyone, I think I fixed the problem by switching to a different picture mode (then switching back). I was initially getting a crazy green tint, but it seems to have gone away.
post #549 of 2352 Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfury2xx View Post

Could someone comment on this? Would really like to know as I'm seriously considering this TV, but watch a lot of anime.

It depends on wich Panel type you gain on the TV... there is a panel lottery.. see Chicolom signature... Sharp panel seems to have more blur then the Samsung SPVA panel..
You have to be lucky..

Returning to my last post, I decided not to return the Monitor... I'm very happy with it...
For the vertical viewing angles, I realize that they are more visible when I'm close to the Display because of PC use.. But when I'm watching films or other, this problem gone, because I'm sitting on the sofa and the distance make the image more cleaner in terms of backlighting..

I hope that stuck pixels will gone one day...

Thank to all for the support.. I appreciate it guys... And a special thanks to Chicolom for all the important informations...
post #550 of 2352 Old 11-06-2012, 05:53 AM

Liked: 12
The only issue i have with my set is that vertical banding i see on grey colored screens.. other than that everything is fine even with motion.
post #551 of 2352 Old 11-06-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

The only issue i have with my set is that vertical banding i see on grey colored screens.. other than that everything is fine even with motion.
I also have some vertical banding on my TS01 set. Do you know if this is a common issue with the model? Would it be worth it to return it? Everything, including motion, handles well except the vertical banding that appears somewhat obviously on my Xbox dashboard.
post #552 of 2352 Old 11-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failures View Post

I also have some vertical banding on my TS01 set. Do you know if this is a common issue with the model? Would it be worth it to return it? Everything, including motion, handles well except the vertical banding that appears somewhat obviously on my Xbox dashboard.

It's normal. You can post a pic if you want so we can see if it's unusual, but several of us have noticed it. I think maybe the backlights just aren't spaced evenly so the uniformity isn't perfect on certain scenes.

I can definitely live with it.
post #553 of 2352 Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failures View Post

I had the same issue on my first set so Im guessing this is normal, I've also seen the same issue on those very expensive Sony TV's its definitely a quality control issue but its a lottery on the consumer's end. Im not bothered enough by the issue since I rarely see it when I watch movies and I've yet to notice it in gaming.
post #554 of 2352 Old 11-07-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I have the 50" EH5300 which developed a problem and ordered a replacement. The first panel had no grey vertical banding, but the second one did. I ended up keeping the first set and having Samsung repair it. Both panels were Chimei.
post #555 of 2352 Old 11-07-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontyl View Post

FYI, everyone, I think I fixed the problem by switching to a different picture mode (then switching back). I was initially getting a crazy green tint, but it seems to have gone away.

I just bought the UN46EH5300 and upon setting it up, updated the software as prompted. Every time a new input source was hooked up (OTA, PS3, Smart TV) the screen was a green tint. Swapping picture mode got rid of it.

I called Crutchfield and they had never heard of this issue. They suggested I call Samsung directly. The CSR also had never heard of this issue. Then she had me do the Self Diagnosis with the Picture Test which showed the green tint quite clearly (see photo below). She immediately arranged for a service call which will happen in the next few days.

Any thoughts if this is a software of hardware issue? I can still return the tv if this is an issue to worry about in the long term. Thanks for any help!

post #556 of 2352 Old 11-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotmania View Post

I just bought the UN46EH5300 and upon setting it up, updated the software as prompted. Every time a new input source was hooked up (OTA, PS3, Smart TV) the screen was a green tint. Swapping picture mode got rid of it.
I called Crutchfield and they had never heard of this issue. They suggested I call Samsung directly. The CSR also had never heard of this issue. Then she had me do the Self Diagnosis with the Picture Test which showed the green tint quite clearly (see photo below). She immediately arranged for a service call which will happen in the next few days.
Any thoughts if this is a software of hardware issue? I can still return the tv if this is an issue to worry about in the long term. Thanks for any help!

I believe this is the most recent firmware doing this. I noticed it as well on the 5300 set that I evaluated for a couple days. The 5000 set, that I'm keeping, doesn't have this problem.

post #557 of 2352 Old 11-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotmania View Post

Same problem here on a UN40EH5300 and UN50EH5300. Fixed it by doing a TV reset. Menu/Support/Self Diagnosis/Reset. 0000 is the pin.
redmat99 likes this.
post #558 of 2352 Old 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtomat View Post

Same problem here on a UN40EH5300 and UN50EH5300. Fixed it by doing a TV reset. Menu/Support/Self Diagnosis/Reset. 0000 is the pin.

Samsung technician was just here and did the factory reset. Problem resolved. He had never come across this issue before and will be submitting it to Samsung. I could have done it myself (thank you for the instructions) but wanted him to see the issue so they can hopefully address it.

Thanks for your help everybody!
post #559 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 AM

Hi everyone!

Is UE46EH5000 suitable for gaming?
Does it support 4:4:4 sub-sampling?
How high is input lag?

Please give me some info.
I would like to connect it to my PC and run games on it.
post #560 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szpachla View Post

Hi everyone!
Is UE46EH5000 suitable for gaming?
Does it support 4:4:4 sub-sampling?
How high is input lag?
Please give me some info.
I would like to connect it to my PC and run games on it.

try to search in this thread...

4:4:4 is supported.. you have to set HDMI to "PC mode"...
I have a UE32EH5000 and imput lag is not so high.. no poblem playing PES or BF3... higher than a PC monitor but very good for a TV..
post #561 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Thank you for answer.
If you saying that playing BF3 is not a problem than is fine.
I will be getting this LCD soon.

Distance is 3 meters.
Will 46 inch be enough for working in Windows.
Are fonts readable?
Are fonts good quality?
post #562 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szpachla View Post

Thank you for answer.
If you saying that playing BF3 is not a problem than is fine.
I will be getting this LCD soon.
Distance is 3 meters.
Will 46 inch be enough for working in Windows.
Are fonts readable?

Don't run Bro biggrin.gif try to find more accurate information about input-lag and response time... here is the thread http://www.avsforum.com/t/1131464/input-lag-wars-post-your-input-lag-results-of-your-lcd-display-here-for-reference

I'm not an HC gamers, but I find that this TV is the best for PQ and for an all-in-1 PC, TV and BDplayer...

And read all the posts in this thread... there are pro and cons like everything biggrin.gif

PS. sorry for bad english..
post #563 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Code:
TV is the best for PQ

And thats what i'm looking for smile.gif

Reading 20 pages will take some time... smile.gif

edit:

I searched input lag topic and found 1 guy measuring the lag at this LCD
He get results 0-50ms
But they saying that his measuring method was not good....
post #564 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Liked: 15
The input lag of the EH5000 has been measured to be 27-32ms, so that is far above the maximum acceptable 16.66 ms value (1 frame loss) :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406151/the-official-2012-samsung-eh4000-eh5000-eh5300-owners-thread/30#post_21995943

The philips PFL5507 series would be a much better option to hook your pc up to, it has 17 ms of input lag and 4:4:4 chroma subsampling:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1131464/input-lag-wars-post-your-input-lag-results-of-your-lcd-display-here-for-reference/3720#post_22532330

The colors have been tested to be also accurate with a delta-E of 3.1.
redmat99 likes this.
post #565 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 07:29 PM

I would like to buy myself a 46inch samsung eh5000, Is there a way to check the panel type without opening the box? Which panel is the best? Thanks in advance.
post #566 of 2352 Old 11-11-2012, 11:51 PM

I cant seem to find anyone mention this but, I use the UN46EH5300 for netflix through the smart hub and have it hooked up through a powerline kit (100 mbps) I never had issues with the ps3 but since I have changed over netflix just stutters really badly, I have paused it to give it time to buffer but that doesn't seem to fix the issue. It feels like the TV is underpowered on the CPU side making buffering an issue, I don't know any suggestions?

Just check youtube same issue, changed my DNS same issue .

Sigh herp derp, was my powerline kit, which is odd didnt have that issue with the ps3. either way fixed
post #567 of 2352 Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Pavel View Post

I would like to buy myself a 46inch samsung eh5000, Is there a way to check the panel type without opening the box? Which panel is the best? Thanks in advance.

Thanks to Chicolom!!!! He is the BOSS biggrin.gif

How to tell which Samsung panel you have...

Best panel seems to be Samsung S-PVA...
post #568 of 2352 Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmat99 View Post

Thanks to Chicolom!!!! He is the BOSS biggrin.gif

QFT.

wink.gif
post #569 of 2352 Old 11-12-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:

My 32EH5000 has AH01, I have no idea what those codes mean. Im hoping that there are no panel lotteries on this TV.

I just got the same TV as yours. Care to share your picture settings? Anyone? Especially for 32 inches.
post #570 of 2352 Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 AM

deleted
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page