The *OFFICIAL* 2012 Samsung EH4000/EH5000/EH5300 Owner's Thread... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 2319 Old 05-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
probably buying a UN32EH5300FXZC tommorrow ... worth the buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2319 Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakubi View Post

probably buying a UN32EH5300FXZC tommorrow ... worth the buy?

Purchase from a store with a hassle free return policy just incase you might like the product, everyone has a different level of preference.
post #63 of 2319 Old 05-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfas34 View Post

Can anyone that has the EH5300 verify that it has PIP? The downloadable manual seems to cover a lot of models and the spec page for the 5300 doesn't list it as a feature. Also, the manual describes the the subpicture can only be the internal TV tuner and you can only swap the audio and not the subpic and main pic.... is that true? Can the audio swap be triggered from the remote without going into the menu?

5300 does have PIP. The audio cannot be swapped unless you go into the menu. PIP is turned on by using the tools button on the remote which brings up a menu and you scroll down to PIP and then turn it on. PIP does not last through a power cycle.

In the menu, you can set the position of the PIP to any on the four corners and can set two different sizes and this is also where you set which audio is heard.

I have the Mac Mini hooked up to HDMI 1. This is all I have hooked up. When watching the tuner, there is no option for PIP period and this is with the Mini hooked up and running.

I mention this because you cannot select inputs that do not have a video signal (or in the case fo the analog inputs cannot select them unless there is something physically plugged in). If there is no video signal, the audio is muted even if you can actually select the input. Unless you go into the service menu and turn on hotel mode which allows music mode which will play audio without video being present on the analog inputs only.

When HDMI 1 is selected, I can watch the TV tuner PIP and change the channel while watching. I cannot select any other input. Since I do not have any other inputs hooked up with video, I am not sure if it is possible to select something other than the tuner. I do have it set in music mode for the A/V, but still cannot select this input.

You cannot swap main and subpic. It does seem that the only PIP option is the tuner. When using the Smart Hub to select stuff, whatever you are watching does show up as a PIP in the upper left corner.
post #64 of 2319 Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybob View Post

5300 does have PIP. The audio cannot be swapped unless you go into the menu. PIP is turned on by using the tools button on the remote which brings up a menu and you scroll down to PIP and then turn it on. PIP does not last through a power cycle.

In the menu, you can set the position of the PIP to any on the four corners and can set two different sizes and this is also where you set which audio is heard.

I have the Mac Mini hooked up to HDMI 1. This is all I have hooked up. When watching the tuner, there is no option for PIP period and this is with the Mini hooked up and running.

I mention this because you cannot select inputs that do not have a video signal (or in the case fo the analog inputs cannot select them unless there is something physically plugged in). If there is no video signal, the audio is muted even if you can actually select the input. Unless you go into the service menu and turn on hotel mode which allows music mode which will play audio without video being present on the analog inputs only.

When HDMI 1 is selected, I can watch the TV tuner PIP and change the channel while watching. I cannot select any other input. Since I do not have any other inputs hooked up with video, I am not sure if it is possible to select something other than the tuner. I do have it set in music mode for the A/V, but still cannot select this input.

You cannot swap main and subpic. It does seem that the only PIP option is the tuner. When using the Smart Hub to select stuff, whatever you are watching does show up as a PIP in the upper left corner.

Thanks for the detailed info. Another question, does the remote have a previous channel button and does it work when using PIP? If so I think this will work for me as I could program a macro into my remote to flip my OTA DVR's previous channel and the TV tuner's previous channel to effectively swap the main/sub pics. This is for football Sunday :-)
post #65 of 2319 Old 05-12-2012, 04:34 PM

The remote does have a previous channel button and it does work with PIP.
post #66 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 08:00 AM

I got the 32EH5000 on Thursday.

I previously had a LG 32560, which I returned due to a very slight light bleed that drove me nuts.

I then decided on the Panasonic L32E5 which offered more inputs and internet connectivity for (at the time) same price as the Samsung. Unfortunately, the power supply failed after a week and I had to send it back (and it's not in stock so I had to pick another set, hence the Samsung.)

Here's my NON PROFESSIONAL (but tweaker / enthusiast) opinion.

1. The viewing angle on the Samsung simply cannot compare with the LG or Panasonic. Obviously, those are both IPS panels so it's not really a fair comparison, but I really find the viewing angle on the EH5000 to be borderline unacceptable. For many people this doesn't matter, since you will probably put it in a place where you're watching it straight on, but for my particular application, it's really annoying how much the picture washes out at less than 30 degrees.

2. The PQ of the Samsung is far superior to that of the Panasonic and slightly better than the LG. No matter how much I tweaked the Panny, the picture seemed washed out, and there was no way to get the deep blacks without destroying the rest of the picture. Text also just always seemed "fuzzy" on the Pan. I think that the Sammy is "sharper" (for lack of a better term) than the LG, but the blacks really set it apart. This set has outstanding blacks for a mid-range set.

3. There is absolutely no light bleed with the Sammy. When watching letter box content at night, for the most part you can't tell where the bars are. Occasionally they go from deep black to a slightly noticeable really-dark gray, but for the most part it's black as night.

4. I like the glossier / glassier screens of the other sets better - this one reminds me of a big computer monitor. Just a personal preference, really not a big deal, and I assume due to the panel type. I do get some glare on it, but really no more or less than with any other non-glass screen.

5. For the price, it really should have another HDMI and/or connectivity options. I have Roku so I don't really care that much about internet, but the lack of HDMI means that I have to swap cords whenever I want my DVD player.

6. The clear motion setting is NOT on by default. When you enable it, it darkens the entire screen (can anyone explain why?) This doesn't bother me much, as I prefer a more "cinema" setting anyway, but I still don't get it. I have not yet observed a real benefit to the clear motion (or is it true motion? whatever) but it hasn't been that long yet and I haven't made it through all of my reference content.
post #67 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMachoMan View Post

I got the 32EH5000 on Thursday.

I previously had a LG 32560, which I returned due to a very slight light bleed that drove me nuts.

I then decided on the Panasonic L32E5 which offered more inputs and internet connectivity for (at the time) same price as the Samsung. Unfortunately, the power supply failed after a week and I had to send it back (and it's not in stock so I had to pick another set, hence the Samsung.)

Here's my NON PROFESSIONAL (but tweaker / enthusiast) opinion.

1. The viewing angle on the Samsung simply cannot compare with the LG or Panasonic. Obviously, those are both IPS panels so it's not really a fair comparison, but I really find the viewing angle on the EH5000 to be borderline unacceptable. For many people this doesn't matter, since you will probably put it in a place where you're watching it straight on, but for my particular application, it's really annoying how much the picture washes out at less than 30 degrees.

2. The PQ of the Samsung is far superior to that of the Panasonic and slightly better than the LG. No matter how much I tweaked the Panny, the picture seemed washed out, and there was no way to get the deep blacks without destroying the rest of the picture. Text also just always seemed "fuzzy" on the Pan. I think that the Sammy is "sharper" (for lack of a better term) than the LG, but the blacks really set it apart. This set has outstanding blacks for a mid-range set.

3. There is absolutely no light bleed with the Sammy. When watching letter box content at night, for the most part you can't tell where the bars are. Occasionally they go from deep black to a slightly noticeable really-dark gray, but for the most part it's black as night.

4. I like the glossier / glassier screens of the other sets better - this one reminds me of a big computer monitor. Just a personal preference, really not a big deal, and I assume due to the panel type. I do get some glare on it, but really no more or less than with any other non-glass screen.

5. For the price, it really should have another HDMI and/or connectivity options. I have Roku so I don't really care that much about internet, but the lack of HDMI means that I have to swap cords whenever I want my DVD player.

6. The clear motion setting is NOT on by default. When you enable it, it darkens the entire screen (can anyone explain why?) This doesn't bother me much, as I prefer a more "cinema" setting anyway, but I still don't get it. I have not yet observed a real benefit to the clear motion (or is it true motion? whatever) but it hasn't been that long yet and I haven't made it through all of my reference content.

1.) True, the viewing angle on this is quite low compared to IPS but this is how most of the Samsung TV's using VA panels are aside from the 47 and 55, I noticed that they have a pretty wide viewing angle.. must be a higher end panel I would assume.

2.) On the store demo that played the same content via an HDMI splitter, this set really stood out from the rest, this is what grabbed my attention.. even compared to their 'calibrated' LG IPS TVs.

3) Result of the directLED, no backlight bleeding what so ever but I can see the blacks become a bit greyish on the extreme edges since I am using this as a PC monitor.

4.) I have a slight issue with how reflective the screen is but only when its displaying darker shades of grey, it gets washed out when there is sunlight around

5) A non issue for me since im using it as a PC monitor
post #68 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 11:06 AM

Maybe I should have specified that my "review" is based on TV / movie content through cable box, bluray, and Roku (all HDMI) only, not with a PC (I have no plans on using this with a PC or for gaming.)

Anyway I'm hoping someone can chime in on my #6.
post #69 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 11:31 AM

Sorry just wanted to chime in as well.
post #70 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM

http://www.presentationtek.com/2010/...ing-backlight/
post #71 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium08 View Post

4.) I have a slight issue with how reflective the screen is but only when its displaying darker shades of grey, it gets washed out when there is sunlight around

Quote:

Just realized that 'glare' for most people likely means the opposite of what I thought it did. Sounds like you guys are saying the more matte the screen is then the more the reflection is scattered over the screen as a lighter blob. However, I always thought glare was simply how glass/mirror like the screen is and how distracting that can be... I'd rather focus on what's on TV versus seeing myself or that lamp/window behind me as a focused reflection. The fact that the EH's are somewhere in between glossy and matte is a reservation for me. I guess the bottom line is to find a good return policy.
post #72 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Thats exactly how I define glare, the amount of reflection I see but I dont put any focus on those so its a not a major issue for me but due to that glare I cannot clearly see my what is covered by the fog of war when Im playing starcraft to when looking at my minimap.
post #73 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Clear Motion adds black frames and starts to flash the backlight in sync with the frames to do a sort of pseudo 120Hz effect. Since the backlight is now constantly changing with the interpolated black frames it results in a darker image. It definitely isn't worth it.
More info here:
http://hdguru.com/beware-of-phony-lc...sh-rates/7726/
post #74 of 2319 Old 05-13-2012, 03:20 PM

I did not see any benefit from clear motion.

I think the 5300 is the sweet spot. It has 3 HDMI inputs, two of them on the back. And allows the option for analog sound on one of the inputs. Has PIP, networking, larger lighted remote, two USB intputs, one which can be hooked to a hard drive, DLNA, etc.

The IPS panels I looked at had very limited vertical viewing angles which is more important to me. The Panasonic IPS that I looked at next to the 5000 looked totally washed out all the time. There was no life at all in the picture. I tend to not sit to far to the side of the TV ever, as this does not make sense to me. I do tend to like the TV slightly higher than my head height, and if watching in bed (or anywhere) vertical viewing angle is more important. I tend to sit right in front of the TV and will move up and down, so vertical viewing angle is more important.
redmat99 likes this.
post #75 of 2319 Old 05-15-2012, 09:19 AM

That's a good point re: vertical viewing angle, though I didn't notice a significant difference between the Eh5000 and the IPS panels of the LG or Pan. I also was more focused on horizontal and didn't really think about vertical though, so perhaps it is better.

I'm more focused on horizontal because it's in a bedroom which is also a home office (gotta make due in small city spaces) so I have it angled for my bed, but still like to spin around in my desk chair and see what's on, and the angles are different. For bed viewing, it's obviously elevated.
post #76 of 2319 Old 05-15-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleeds27 View Post

New firmware released yesterday for the UEH5000

T-MST9DEUC_1011.0

Any ideas whats changed?

Where are you getting that firmware update from? Most recent on Samsung's website is dated March 20 and is v 1008.4.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...0FXZA#content2
post #77 of 2319 Old 05-16-2012, 08:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Where are you getting that firmware update from? Most recent on Samsung's website is dated March 20 and is v 1008.4.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/ow...0FXZA#content2

He's referring to the European model (UE), and not the North American model (UN). The March 20th release is still the latest firmware for the UNXXEH5000.
post #78 of 2319 Old 05-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pattern View Post

He's referring to the European model (UE), and not the North American model (UN). The March 20th release is still the latest firmware for the UNXXEH5000.

Thanks - I thought I was crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellybob View Post

I did not see any benefit from clear motion.

Potentially dumb question, but is the "clear motion" the same as "LED True Motion"? I get that the LED True Motion adds the black frames and is disabled by default, but it seems to me that if they market "Clear Motion Rate 120" on the box, that's not something that would be disabled.
post #79 of 2319 Old 05-21-2012, 07:09 AM

Well after some more tweaking, I'm pretty convinced that my 32EH5000 has the best PQ of any lower-end small LCD set (based on reviews and also personal experiences with LG's CS560 and Panasonic's L32E5) and I'm willing to deal with the "uglyness" of it (never thought I'd consider a Samsung "uglier" than a Panasonic, but that's just personal opinion) and the limited viewing angle.

One thing I'm struggling with though is that I'm finding this set to be particularly poor with motion, even keeping in mind that it's only a 60hz set. Baseball pitches are nearly painful to watch, and hockey is very difficult to follow. The other sets that I owned seemed to my naked eye to handle motion much better (even though they were still limited by their refresh rate.)

This set is so much better with movies and non-fast-motion content that I'm probably going to end up keeping it, but the motion is frustrating (even when using LED Motion Plus... which I'm still not sure if it's different than the Clear Motion 120).
post #80 of 2319 Old 05-21-2012, 10:06 AM

SuperMachoMan,

The LG's 32CS560 is a "LCD" set. Your set is LED Backlit. Isn't that comparing apples to oranges?
post #81 of 2319 Old 05-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman290 View Post

SuperMachoMan,

The LG's 32CS560 is a "LCD" set. Your set is LED Backlit. Isn't that comparing apples to oranges?

Perhaps, but there are plenty of higher-end non-LED-backlit LCD sets that look better than mid-range or lower-end LED-backlit sets.

I know that people in the CS560 thread have certain issues with the set, but for the price, I was impressed and found it to be superior to many LED backlit sets. This is all subjective, I'm not a pro.

I'm also comparing the Samsung to two IPS panel sets, which you could also say is apples-to-oranges. I'm not sure that one technology is inherently better than the other (or if they're just two different-but-potentially-equal ways of solving the same problem) but with the noted exception of the poor viewing angle, the non-IPS Samsung is clearly more capable than either of the others.
post #82 of 2319 Old 05-21-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:

Well after some more tweaking, I'm pretty convinced that my 32EH5000 has the best PQ of any lower-end small LCD set (based on reviews and also personal experiences with LG's CS560 and Panasonic's L32E5) and I'm willing to deal with the "uglyness" of it (never thought I'd consider a Samsung "uglier" than a Panasonic, but that's just personal opinion) and the limited viewing angle.

One thing I'm struggling with though is that I'm finding this set to be particularly poor with motion, even keeping in mind that it's only a 60hz set. Baseball pitches are nearly painful to watch, and hockey is very difficult to follow. The other sets that I owned seemed to my naked eye to handle motion much better (even though they were still limited by their refresh rate.)

This set is so much better with movies and non-fast-motion content that I'm probably going to end up keeping it, but the motion is frustrating (even when using LED Motion Plus... which I'm still not sure if it's different than the Clear Motion 120).

Clear Motion 120 is not a feature; it is a marketing term. Check out the link to HDGuru a few posts above ^.
post #83 of 2319 Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 AM

For those who bought the 32EH5000 did you considered the 32D5000 to be also a valid option??

Asking because in a store I tested both with mkv samples on a USB and the D5000 seemed better handling the grain in picture!!
post #84 of 2319 Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Motion blur is really that bad with these sets? Is that a deal breaker for many? I watch alot of sports. I was thinking of getting the 720P. I heard the 720p sets are known to be better with sports? Is that true? I also heard that at 32 inches, you can't tell the difference between a 1080p and 720p any way, unless you go 42 inch or higher..
post #85 of 2319 Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM

anyone ?
post #86 of 2319 Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Hi guys i need the best caibration settings for 40eh5000 in dark room
post #87 of 2319 Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 AM

Anyone here with 46" and can post some pics of it, also in a dark room!? Thx
post #88 of 2319 Old 05-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Does the eh5300 have a matte screen like the eh5000 and eh6000 or is it glossy? Also, does anyone know if the eh5300 and eh5000 use the same panel? Thanks.
post #89 of 2319 Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM

Hi guys,

I am discussing in another website (CNET Forum) with Samsung, and they are completely lost.

I asked: "VG-KBD1000 Wireless Keyboard works with EH5300?"
Initially they said, YES, then they said NO.

Can anybody tell me if it really works or not? I have seen people saying also the Logitech K400 keyboard works fine. Any one tried that ?
post #90 of 2319 Old 05-25-2012, 01:55 PM

Is this possible to use Bluetooth dongle in EH5300 ?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
<<. , Displays , Led Hdtv , Samsung , Samsung Un32eh4000 32 Inch 720p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un40eh5300 40 Inch 1080p 60 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh5000 Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page